• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« on: August 03, 2017, 12:00:11 PM »
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:20:55 AM by Moustaches »

kenaces

• Bristles
Re: Did MMM just start a cult?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
sssshhhhh

First rule is that we don't talk about......

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:32:22 PM »
What's funny is it sound remarkably like (though inexpensive) the shared workstations that were so lambasted by the forum members.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 01:38:35 PM »
It's always been a cult, now we just have a space for activities.

BayAreaFrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 06:24:56 PM »
For $50/month. What happened to railing against memberships and subscriptions?

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
MMM is making Jim Jones look like a punk BITCH, handing out beer instead of Kool Aid.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »
MMM is making Jim Jones look like a punk BITCH, handing out beer instead of Kool Aid.

Hopefully the beer has a tad less kick than the Kool Aid did . . .

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »

I see the $50/month as a (probably insufficient) form of rationing. His list of things make for quite a lot of people who might be interested in it. If there is any significant number of single 20-somethings with good incomes in his town, I imagine the slots will go fast.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 07:06:59 AM »

I see the $50/month as a (probably insufficient) form of rationing. His list of things make for quite a lot of people who might be interested in it. If there is any significant number of single 20-somethings with good incomes in his town, I imagine the slots will go fast.

I also view this as an alternative to renting out office space for an entrepreneur.  Similiar setups are all over the place.  They give internet, coffee, a meeting room to host clients/customers, plus access to other entrepreneurs and small business owners.

If there is beer and a gym as well, 50$/month is a steal.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 07:08:39 AM »
$50/month seems like nothing. Office spaces in my area are $400-500 for a tiny office with a shared lounge/reception. And I live in a LCOL area in the south.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:27:15 AM »

I also view this as an alternative to renting out office space for an entrepreneur.  Similiar setups are all over the place.  They give internet, coffee, a meeting room to host clients/customers, plus access to other entrepreneurs and small business owners.

If there is beer and a gym as well, 50$/month is a steal.

Exactly. I used a coworking space for a while that was $300/month and it included snacks but no beer or gym!

I had my email up to join this thing the second I read about it!

Fire2025

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 07:51:41 AM »
I think it sounds more like the "Maker" space I used to belong to.  They have tools and equipment you can use.  And there's a social setting also.  But every great cult needs a cover story.....

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 07:54:39 AM »

Hopefully the beer has a tad less kick than the Kool Aid did . . .

Hopefully the standard issue footwear will be work boots.  I could never keep white sneakers clean.

Fire2025

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 09:29:38 AM »
I think it sounds more like the "Maker" space I used to belong to.  They have tools and equipment you can use.  And there's a social setting also.  But every great cult needs a cover story.....

What are the entrepreneurs going to do?  My ideas:

1. Longmont urban planning
2. Bikesharing app
3. Urban planning app
4. Financial Education courses

Great list. 

I would love to see an old fashioned barn raising style event, but maybe a garage raising or guest house raising.  All things old can be new again!!!!!

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 04:14:29 PM »
I think he should register as a religion, the church of mustachianism.  Kinda like the Pastafarians.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 11:18:49 PM »
What's funny is it sound remarkably like (though inexpensive) the shared workstations that were so lambasted by the forum members.

I wasn't sure what this was about until I noticed in the lobby of the building I work in has a couple sofas and several small tables designed for people to plug in their laptops. Every day there are groups of people having meetings or knocking out some kind of project and the faces change quite a bit.  I finally asked the security guard what the deal was and he said the building owners set up the tables and workstations as just a simple place for people to come have consultations, meetings, or get some work done.  Upstairs there is an entire floor of the building where you can rent conference rooms, offices, and other collaborative spaces.  That space is targeted at startups or other small businesses that need some work space, but don't need or can't afford their own property yet.

http://departmentphx.com/about

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
Re: .
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 12:52:05 PM »
Maybe I misunderstood, but I took the $50/month thing as being part of a literal, physical fan clubhouse. As for "working together," I thought they meant collaboration and networking, not office space. Is there going to a mini cube farm here?

At first I was like "wha?" But I had a neighborhood clubhouse as a kid with similar amenities—well, no free beer and coffee—and yeah I might consider being a member of such a local place. Maybe.