Author Topic: Introducing the Metal Roof: Shingles are now Obsolete  (Read 13859 times)

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Introducing the Metal Roof: Shingles are now Obsolete
« on: March 25, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »
There is a similar forum topic: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/metal-roof-or-standard-shingles, but that's ~1 year old now.

Interested in others' experiences on cost of metal vs. "traditional asphalt" (or SBS impregnated, etc.) shingles.

In MMM's blog post he notes “So the overall installed cost should be only 25-35% higher if you hire it out”.  That sounds good, and we could even see paying 50% higher.

Our problem is that everyone we talk to (4 different contractors in mid-Michigan) quotes ~400% the cost of quotes to do shingles.  House is a ranch, 5:12 pitch, with ~5000 sq. ft. roof surface, so any roofing will be more expensive than if we had the same living space but a multi-story house.

We will be installing a new roof soon.  It just doesn't appear that metal is at all cost competitive for us - are we missing something?

going2ER

• Stubble
Re: Introducing the Metal Roof: Shingles are now Obsolete
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:18:20 PM »
I had previously looked into having one installed and it was significantly more expensive, however, if it would be the only and last time then it could be worth it.  One thing that did make me question it though was when I contacted the insurance company. They still wanted a roof replaced every 15 years, it did not matter that it was a lifetime product, so that defeated that idea. This was probably 5+ years ago so things may have changed since then, but it is definately something to investigate.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 01:23:25 PM »

Reading this article made me (slightly) jealous.  I really wanted a metal roof when we built our house, but...  in our case the bid came in at $40k (> 400% as in MDM's experience).   I was under time constraints (and doing other work on the house) and couldn't even think of doing it myself.  And, I might add:  my roof is not DIY friendly.  It's a 10/12 pitch.  I'll get up there and do a few things, but I don't know that I could handle actual roofing.  The guys that did it didn't even use roof jacks.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »
I think I posted in the old thread.. but I'll share my experience again.  I put a metal roof on our renovation last year, and the cost was nearly a wash with what shingles would've cost us.  Material cost was about $2k (13 square roof on ~1000 sq. ft. house).  I'm going to put another metal roof on my old house in a couple of months (trying to get it ready to be a rental or sell), and I'll post the costs and my experience when I do it as well.

The house across the street from my old house was foreclosed on last year and some renovators bought it, fixed it up, and flipped it.  They did quite a bit of work and the finishing touch was a nice looking green metal roof.  They put it on top of the existing ratty shingle roof, which I personally would not have done, but it looks beautiful.  They bought the house for $69k, sold it for $130k, and the new owners told me that the roof was a primary selling point for them ("it's a lifetime roof!" the wife said..).

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
@Kendalf

Where are you located?  Wondering if that is the main reason for the major price differences in this thread..

Thanks

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »
Jacksonville, FL.

I am wondering about cost differences as well.  I got price quotes from Home Depot, and they were within 10% of the supplier I ended up using.  IMO most of the regional variation in quotes from roofers is due to inexperience with a product and correspondingly high labor estimates, not material costs.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
This post had perfect timing! I'm looking at a house that may be overdue for a new roof. I'll definitely look for price estimates and also doing it myself. I watched the video and it doesn't seem too hard, as long as I can wrap my head around the building codes, don't have to relocate any vents, and can get the work done in a reasonably short timeframe (to avoid rain and to satisfy insurance).

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 04:56:02 PM »
Jacksonville, FL.

I am wondering about cost differences as well.  I got price quotes from Home Depot, and they were within 10% of the supplier I ended up using.  IMO most of the regional variation in quotes from roofers is due to inexperience with a product and correspondingly high labor estimates, not material costs.

That is exactly it.  The installers have inexeperienced crews (with metal roofing) and plan on charging you extra to teach their guys to use it.  Not a bad strategy on their part.  If it were me, I would contact a local metal roofing manufacturer/distributer and ask them for a contact list of local installers and start there.  That should provide someone with reasonable rates and familiar with the material.

carloco

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »
I wonder if anyone has a explanation for this...
One of the new firehouses has a metal roof that was covered with plywood which in turn was covered by asphalt shingles.  One explanation I heard was that the asphalt shingles would allow the building to blend with the neighborhood.  This doesn't make sense because the county uses metal roofs in schools and libraries.  What would be the benefit on having a double roof?     

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
I was just told that it would be SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive for a metal roof.  I am still going to have him run the numbers and see how much significantly means. 

Side note:  I am really digging these red roofs..

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 02:04:42 PM »
I hope our shingle roof holds up 5.5 more years, when I expect to retire, as I want a metal roof and don't want to pay somebody else to do it.  It will probably turn into a much bigger job than in the video, though.  Our roof is 2" tongue and groove boards, over which some DPO placed 3/4" particle board.  There is a good sized wow or swelling on one section.  I may be able to screw it down, but I may have to remove the particle board there and replace it with something the same thickness.  It's like when I replaced my floors, there's always more to the job than I see when I start.  That can prove to be a gumption trap when you only have so much vacation time scheduled.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
We put a metal roof on three years ago. I'm still in love with it. It was $13k and while I'd have loved to do it cheaper, I'd do it again if I couldn't find a better quote.

Then again, the roof we had before that was leaky and disintegrating. So any new roof would have been a dramatic improvement.

Maybe next time (after we move and a new roof is on the horizon) we'll have the courage to DIY it.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 02:24:35 PM »
One thing that did make me question it though was when I contacted the insurance company. They still wanted a roof replaced every 15 years, it did not matter that it was a lifetime product, so that defeated that idea. This was probably 5+ years ago so things may have changed since then, but it is definately something to investigate.

This insurance company sounds dumb. I haven't heard of any of our underwriters having this issue. I'm pretty sure they have no qualms with the "permanent" roof materials like metals and slate (I believe xactimate also gives slate and copper a 150 year depreciation rate, compared to asphalt at like 10).

Really takes out the only persistant issues with roofing claims - hail and wind. Well, trees but I'm not aware of a roofing material that can handle a tree.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 02:47:48 PM »
Thanks for all the responses so far.  We checked with local Lowe's and Home Depot for material prices.  Why didn't we do that before...?  Anyway, thanks kendallf for that lead.

Not surprisingly, "it depends" on the gauge, style, etc.  What we did get were "ballpark" quotes of $175 - $300 per square (or $1.75 to $3 per sq. ft.).  Compared to ~$100/square ($1/sq.ft.) for shingles.

Don't know that we want to make this a DIY project, so now to find experienced contractors.  That's what we tried to do originally  - e.g. talking with folks having "metal roof" in their company name - but got the exorbitant quotes ($17/sq.ft. for material + labor).

If you haven't already, could those of you who have purchased a metal roof give your costs per square (or sq.ft.) for material separate from labor?  Thanks again and in advance.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
does it rust?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »
does it rust?

I believe most are aluminum or powder coated aluminum.

feelingroovy

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 10:08:44 PM »
I replied in the comments, but will post again here to give my experience.

We had a metal roof put on our rental house a couple years ago.  It cost a little more than half the quotes we were getting for shingles ($7k vs 12k).

There is a local Amish-run construction company that specializes in metal roofs.  They bring a whole crew of 6-8 guys and do it all in one day. 

It's pretty amazing.  They work hard, no loud radios blaring, and have really low overhead, so are able to charge little for labor. 

There are tons of metal roofs around here.

The hard part is finding them.  They don't advertise--it's all word of mouth.  I was surprised, but they do have a phone and they actually hire a local guy to drive them to job sites.  He sits in the truck all day while they work.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 10:12:40 PM »
We had a metal roof put on our rental house a couple years ago.  It cost a little more than half the quotes we were getting for shingles ($7k vs 12k).

There is a local Amish-run construction company that specializes in metal roofs.  They bring a whole crew of 6-8 guys and do it all in one day. 

It's pretty amazing.  They work hard, no loud radios blaring, and have really low overhead, so are able to charge little for labor. 

There are tons of metal roofs around here.

The hard part is finding them.  They don't advertise--it's all word of mouth.  I was surprised, but they do have a phone and they actually hire a local guy to drive them to job sites.  He sits in the truck all day while they work.

Very interesting - where is "around here"?

feelingroovy

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »

Very interesting - where is "around here"?

Fingerlakes area of upstate NY.  If you want to google map it, the Amish community is centered near Ovid, NY.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
This article kind of threw me - I associate metal roofs with the crappy tin jobs you usually get in Tanzania. I'm guessing these are well-insulated and thus not deafening in the rain, so I'll include these in my potential plans. Never though I'd choose to live in a house with a metal roof...

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 05:44:22 PM »
This article kind of threw me - I associate metal roofs with the crappy tin jobs you usually get in Tanzania. I'm guessing these are well-insulated and thus not deafening in the rain, so I'll include these in my potential plans. Never though I'd choose to live in a house with a metal roof...

The sound is the best part!  I grew up in an old farmhouse that had a standing seam metal roof.  In my lifetime, the only maintenance it has required is a paint job of reflective aluminum paint and some work around the old brick chimneys.

If don't plan to stay for more than a few years, or are flipping a property then asphalt is probably the way to go.  But if you plan to live there through retirement, then I could definitely see the benefit of a metal roof.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 05:48:24 PM »

I love the sound of rain on a metal roof.  Now... living under a 300+ year old hickory tree with a metal roof -- that's not so awesome.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 12:56:25 AM »
We are going to have to agree to disagree on that. Maybe the roofs you know make the sound pleasant somehow, but in my experience it's just cacophonous.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 01:02:29 AM »
I grew up in an old farmhouse with a tin roof. We've just bought a house and move in next month that is old and has a tin roof. I can't wait. I love the sound as well.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 03:28:00 AM »
To answer somebody's question above, most of the metal roofs people are referencing here (and mine) are galvanized steel.  They will rust eventually, but a coat of paint occasionally (like after 20-30 years) usually keeps them in good shape.

Most solid roof houses with an insulated attic will not have noise problems in the rain.  Mine is 65 years old, has 1x6" board decking under the metal and blown in insulation in the attic.  I can barely hear the rain on it.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »
I know there was some conversation on the blog comments regarding solar panels, but one things I was looking at was the integrated solar panel asphalt roofing systems (Dow has one) when we have to replace the roof in a couple of years (I'm expecting the tech to improve significantly given the recent trend) but not sure if there is something similar with a metal roof.  I saw something about "stuck on solar" or something like that…  Anyone know anything about it?  I really don't want to do solar panel arrays.

carloco

• Stubble

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:23 AM »
Those appear to be using a film attached solar panel as opposed to what I think (and I could be misunderstanding) the integrated shingle methods are. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
My metal roof is galvalume, which is Zinc/Aluminium over steel.

It was about 40% more than asphalt and was installed after a storm came through and the insurance company ponied up replacement value for the then asphalt roof. A metal roof 'round these parts (Hail Country) gets a 15% insurance discount.

It's over 3/4" sheathing and there is no rain noise.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »
We did ours ourselves, and I really do mean the "our "part of that. As a (very) petite woman, there wasn't a whole lot of the housebuilding that I could actually physically help with. But the roof was one thing. It was so incredibly easy, and even I could lift and handle the metal sheets (with gloves -- they're very sharp!) It took four days, three men and me (with me working on it very part time because I also had to go to work) to go from bare trusses to finished roof.

Total cost was $5,200 for sheathing, underlayment, metal, and trim.

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 07:43:54 AM »

I got an estimate to see what things would be in my area (DC).

9/12 Pitch, about 970 square feet, 3 vent holes, no extra angles

XT25 3 Tab Shingle - $2,750
Landmark Pro Dimensional: $3,725
Englert Standing Seam -$7,900
Symphony Slate: $8,700

I asked the contractor about why the price was so high for the SS, he said that there was not enough demand in our area for them so no one has the machine to bend them on site.  I called around other major contractors and they all confirmed they get them pre-bent adding to the cost.