Author Topic: Get Rich With: The Universal Men’s Grooming Device  (Read 16022 times)

MustacheMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Get Rich With: The Universal Men’s Grooming Device
« on: December 28, 2012, 02:12:34 PM »
Has anyone adopted this approach to facial as well as head hair?

While I've got a body hair trimmer, it wouldn't serve well as a face shaver. And frankly, I don't know if I could stand permanent stubble on my face from a universal men's grooming device.

So, in order to slow the Gillette treadmill, rather than stop it, I'm going to try shaving at least once a week -- with soap instead of foam. I actually enjoy having a completely smooth face, at least for a few hours -- so, once-a-week shaving should at least slow the Mach3 money treadmill.

Haircuts are a totally different issue. I would have to purchase some real clippers and do it on my own while the wife is out. She would probably throw a fit, but she'd have to stop highlighting her own hair if she wants to be able to tell me what to do with mine! ;)

Anyone else embraced the electric-only trimmer approach?

gdborton

• Bristles
Re: Get Rich With: The Universal Men’s Grooming Device
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »
I tried this a few years back, but I was never able to get a consistent look on my face.  If I were actually able to grow a beard this might work for me, but I'm still waiting for a few spots to grow in :)

MustacheMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »
I have to update this. Moments after posting, I suggested to my wife that she tidy up the back of my neck with the dog clippers to be fresh for 2013. I had affixed the number four guard (what I get on the back and sides when I pay for a haircut). Just as she was figuring out how to use them, I grabbed them away and pushed the clippers down the middle of my head.

This elicited the appropriate horrified response. After I tidied it up, I got her to do the back and when all is said and done, she thinks it looks a lot better. The only difference between mine and the previous $17 hair cuts are the conversation and about three millimetres extra on the top; also the dog hair, but it's worth it.

So, to those in doubt, it can be done...

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:22:59 PM »
I got myself a Panasonic wet-dry rechargeable shaver 2 years ago ($75), and I haven't looked back. I am a flight attendant so I travel often, so I use free hotel conditioner or body lotion, and sometimes I massage my beard with a few drops of almond oil on my wet hands before shaving, but it works great on a dry face. For my hair, or lack thereof (I am completely bald), I use this shaver as well when I want a baby skin look, about once a month. Other than that, once or twice a week, I use a cheap electric hair clipper ($20) which doesn't shave right to the skin but pretty close. With regular cleaning and oiling, I expect both shavers to last about 5 years. Overall, my cost, amortized over 5 years, will be $20 a year. Not free, but pretty low compared to those expensive cartridges. I am even so cheap that I bring all my rechargeable appliances on my travels and recharge them at my hotel.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:26:30 PM »
I trim my beard about once a week, I clip it to about 3mm and then let it grow until I have a few minutes and think of trimming it.  I'm considering doing this same thing to my head, but I keep forgetting to do it.  I'd probably trim my head down to a half inch or so, shorter around the ears and neck.  My wife doesn't want to trim the back, so either I'll have to do that myself or ask her nicely to reconsider.  :)

I still shave under the beard and a little at the top of my cheeks, but I do that in the shower and a cheap razor lasts about six months, so not a big expense.

My younger brother has just grown a terrific full beard about 3 inches long, so I might stop trimming for a few months and try that out for a change.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:35:56 PM »
It's serendipitous that you posted this today, I just got back from buying a pair of clippers!  I got the Wahl ones from Wal Mart. 

I have the ability to grow a thick, luscious beard, but I haven't ever been able to get used to it, after shaving almost every day for the last 8 years or so.  I'm just gonna go for it.  I had been letting my hair grow out also, but it's getting to be too much of a pain to take care of (I have SUPER curly hair, so anything longer than a 1/4" is getting into jewfro territory.

So year, I'm thinking about a 2 on the beard/side, and a 3 on top.  Is that a normal and easy way to do it?

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 10:36:14 PM »
Well, I nike'd it.  I used like a 5 on top, and a 4/3 on the sides.  I didn't edge since I edged it a few days ago and didn't feel like it.  It was surprisingly easy (but then again, maybe it looks retarded, I'll have to wait for the comments when I see people who know I'm not homeless).  The hair hasn't been this short since I was in the Army!

The beard has to grow a bit to be blended in with the sides, which is the goal.

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:56:33 AM »
I noticed early into my shaving career that disposable razors (regardless of price) held up poorly and were an expensive habit. I just didn't realize I had a choice. My beard is particularly thick. Combined with shaving often (I enjoy the process and the result), Gilette razors would only last me a few shaves before they started to nick me.

Later, I discovered I could save money, be a badass, and conserve resources with classic safety razor shaving. I bought a Merkur safety razor with a shaving brush and shaving soap. This took my shaving enjoyment to a new level. Also, safety razor replacements are infinitely cheaper and have lasted me much longer than Gilette razors. I don't exactly skimp with the other products (pre-shave, shaving soap, post-shave lotion), but I shaved less often (enjoyed facial hair more) so they lasted.

Lately, I've been keeping a beard. I clean it up about once a week with a Braun CruZer6. It's a legit tool that can also shave your head. I still use the safety razor to keep my neck under control.

I expect I'll eventually go back to the safety razor when I don't feel like keeping the beard. One day, I'll want to try a straight razor for even more old timey man time.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
Later, I discovered I could save money, be a badass, and conserve resources with classic safety razor shaving. I bought a Merkur safety razor with a shaving brush and shaving soap. This took my shaving enjoyment to a new level. Also, safety razor replacements are infinitely cheaper and have lasted me much longer than Gilette razors. I don't exactly skimp with the other products (pre-shave, shaving soap, post-shave lotion), but I shaved less often (enjoyed facial hair more) so they lasted.

+1 for the Safety razor.  I bought a Merkur and a brush about a year ago, and laid down a whole $10 for a 100-blade variety pack, which will last me a few years (I shave ~2/week and can comfortably use a razor 4-5x before it dulls).

Definitely one of the better cost saving measures I've embarked on... though there IS a bit of a learning curve with these blades.  For me, shaving with a Mach3 was practically idiot proof. The safety razor, despite the name, can be a little tricky if you're drowsy :)

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:47:59 PM »
Cut my full head of hair for the first time yesterday, used 3/4 inch on top, tapered down on the sides and back.  My wife wasn't super impressed, but she didn't think it was too bad either.  Hopefully I'll get better over time.  It helps that I cut my kids hair for years, but it's a lot different trying to cut my own.

MustacheMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »
After I came back from holidays with a freshly shorn head, I learned that one of my co-workers does his own hair. He does the different lengths and tapers, something I'm a little afraid to do.

Your approach has given me some courage, though.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 10:03:30 AM »
Haha. I'm a lady and I do this too. I keep my hair in a shortish do and cut the top with scissors, but I do the back and sides with a #8/1"
I just got a cheap-o from the good 'ol Wal Mart as I wasn't sure it was something that would work out, but it did and it has and I've cut my hair three times now without incident. Mirrors are the key. It has already paid for itself. :)
Basic cheap haircuts aren't a huge drain on a pocketbook, but every bit counts and I really like doing it myself.

unplugged

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
If any ladies are reading this thread I wanted to mention the crea clip. It's a nice addition to our flowbee and clippers.
If you watch enough videos online you can do complicated cuts not the typical crea cuts. I have been frustrated with hairdressers not giving myself or my girls what we wanted and now I do it better with this tool.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »
After I came back from holidays with a freshly shorn head, I learned that one of my co-workers does his own hair. He does the different lengths and tapers, something I'm a little afraid to do.
Your approach has given me some courage, though.
When I left the military at age 41, I realized that for my whole life I'd been told when to shave and get a haircut.  So I rebelled.

Beards were OK on a cold submarine, but not so much in Hawaii.  I've learned that shaving is a lot easier when you don't have to rush through it every morning, and the light is better in the afternoon, but after four days it's more bushwhacking than shaving.  Twice a week seems to be about right.  I've reverted to shaving soap with a twin-blade cartridge, which oddly enough seems smoother (and less risky) than shaving cream.  With a little WD-40 on the blade afterwards it literally lasts for months.  I'm not sure how much longer twin-blade cartridges will be around but I guess 3-4 blade razors will be plentiful then.

My last haircut was 30 April 2002, and now every day my hair is the longest it's ever been.  The ponytail has been interesting because it took five years to grow out but has now stopped getting longer.  Aside from shedding, it's been zero maintenance.  (Best of all, it greatly annoys my daughter that her hair is shorter than mine and still "requires" more care than mine.)  It's easy to have a "Christopher Loyd bad hair day", but it's also a reminder that I shouldn't have to care about that anymore.

The ponytail has served its purpose and I've thought about cutting it.  However my spouse likes it so... I may have this style for the rest of my life.  As my forehead grows ever taller, though, eventually it'll look more like Doonesbury's Ol' Surfer Dude.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:06:12 PM by Nords »

LizzyBee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »
I have been cutting my husband's hair for a couple of years with some clippers that we got at Ross for $10, but when I cut his hair sometimes it pulls and is painful. Any tips? Am I doing it wrong. Is it because the blade is cheap?

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 07:23:47 AM »
I used to have a problem with hair pulling when using clippers. At the time I took the slightly un-mustacian move and bought a new clipper set without trying to do anything about my old clippers. There are a few steps you can take before you jump to buying another one.

1) Disassemble the top of the clipper (in my brand's case that was extremely simple and just involved just taking out two massively huge screws) and clean any hair that might be stuck inside, then oil it down well with razor oil (or whatever the stuff is called) and put it back together.
2) When using the clipper try to go relatively slow and/or start off with the largest size guard you can and work your way down if you want to go with shorter hair
3) If hair still pulls then find your clipper model number and try to find a replacement blade for it (or if you're really handy figure out how to re-sharpen it). Apparently these things wear out over time and loose their ability to cut quickly enough to not pull
4) If none of the above work the only thing I can think of is possibly your motor giving out for some reason, in which case it may be better to bite the bullet and start casually searching for sales on clippers. Given that hair doesn't need to be clipped that often and the clippers still work at least a little bit there's plenty of time to find the best possible deal.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 07:56:15 AM »
I've been self grooming with a WAHL clipper for about ten years. I just had to buy a new one for $40 because the old one burnt out.

I use it without a guard for my face, I happen to like the permanent 5 o'clock shadow look. the whole, I shaved a day or two ago look I really like.

I also have some really good friends who are hair dressers and when I'm too lazy to cut my own hair, a six pack of Angry Orchard and I get a sweet professional skin fade for a third of their salon price.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 08:39:27 AM »
I have been cutting my husband's hair for a couple of years with some clippers that we got at Ross for $10, but when I cut his hair sometimes it pulls and is painful. Any tips? Am I doing it wrong. Is it because the blade is cheap?
Wet his hair a little beforehand, oil the clippers regularly, go slowly when doing the first pass because that's when there is the most hair.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »
Wet his hair a little beforehand, oil the clippers regularly, go slowly when doing the first pass because that's when there is the most hair.
Although it could also be because the trimmers are cheap. I moved up from burn-out-fast $7 clippers from XS Cargo to a $60 set from Wahl (purchased at a barber supply store), and there's a huge difference. If Paul's suggestions don't fix the problem, I would really consider upgrading. And I say that as a cheap bastard who resisted for years.

Roastonbone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »
I recently got a pet clipper to groom my dogs and convinced my wife to use them on me as well. Pet clippers are supposedly more powerful than people clippers because of the much higher density of hair that the pet clippers have to go through. I didn't experience any pulling or anything so in my experience they're just fine for people. $100/year saved on my cuts, $250/year saved on dogs!

Annoying Murphy's law tidbit: couldn't find any used clippers on Craigslist, so bought new, used them for the first time, then someone posted used clippers for sale. Argh!

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »
I am even so cheap that I bring all my rechargeable appliances on my travels and recharge them at my hotel.

I let my laptop drain all battery and then recharge it the next day at office.

StaceStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »
Hubby finally decided he would be willing to purchase and use a Device! Found a seemingly good deal on a Remington kit with ceramic coated blades for $30 at TJ Maxx. We tried it out and he was pleased with the result. It will be a good investment for us even if it only lasts 3 haircuts (which I'm sure it will last much, much longer!) Hooray!

George_PA

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »
I have the Wahl to do haircuts; I purchased in 2003 from Walmart for about $30 and it has saved me probably at least $2000 by now.  Talk about a nice return on investment.

Anyway, I like a smooth close facial shave so I don't use the Wahl for regular shaving.

The best option I found is that there is this place near me called Ollies that sells stuff really cheap.  Anyway there they have these 10 packs of generic disposable razors that only cost $0.99 for a ten pack.  I was never a fan of electric shavers.  I loaded up on a bunch of these cheap disposable razor packages already.  Through personal experience, I found I get at least 5 shaves out of each blade.  I shave generally about 2-3 days (The first day you are really smooth, and the 2nd or 3rd day I have some stubble but this doesn't bother me too much).

So that $1 of disposable generic razors covers me for about 2.5 days * 5 shaves/razor * 10 razors = 125 days.  So my razor blade costs for a year are about $3. 

As for shaving cream, I recommend that if you ever stay in hotel for business, try to save up those free hotel soap bars.  Putting soap on your face works as good as shaving cream.  If you really are feeling adventurous, wait until the housekeeping maids bring that cart around to clean the rooms, and score yourself some bars of soap from that cart.  They usually carry tons of these little soap bars with them. 

If you are a guest, just give them a made up excuse, they tell you have a malfunctioning sweat gland or BO issue or something and that you require lots of soap to stay clean.  A lot of them don't even speak English anyway, so they will probably just pretend to understand what you are saying and smile with a node.  Just smile back and make sure to flash lots of teeth with a friend nod or two in return.  Even better sometimes they are never around and just leave the cart unattended in the middle of the hallway.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:41:45 PM by George_PA »

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 11:06:57 PM »
One haircut down 3 more to go before my UMGD pays for itself. The minor slip up above the left ear was unfortunate but I am pretty confident next time will be better.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 07:22:48 AM »
MY UMGD arrived a couple of days ago. As soon as it stops raining I'll get to try it out.

George_PA

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
I cut my hair inside all the time; if you're bathroom is a hard surface just make sure the rugs are up before you start cutting, and then simply sweep up the hair with a brush and broom-pan when you are done.

Besides if you are cutting your own hair, to do the back bottom portion around your neck you need a double mirror.  This is achieved easily by having a large mirror mounted on the wall, and the second mirror a small one held in your hand, then use the other hand for the clippers.

If you are having someone else do the cutting, then yeah it probably would be easier to just cut it outside.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »
I'm glad you cleared that up. I figured grant was referring to some meme I didn't know about.

aaronpct

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 03:25:59 PM »
I used to do this back in the High School / College Days.  I found a well reviewed set on amazon and can't wait to get back to my roots.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 04:12:51 PM »
My wife has been cutting my hair with a Wahl clipper for the past 10 years.  It doesn't take that long now as I am naturally shiny on top now.