Author Topic: DIY Solar  (Read 634 times)

coopdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
DIY Solar
« on: February 09, 2018, 05:26:46 AM »
I got a quote in late 2016 for 13KW DC (16.8KW AC) for $23,600 after tax credit. That's about $1.81/installed watt with an estimated solar generation is $1,500/year. That's a 6.3% return not including depreciation of the panels. I don't really need to pencil further to figure that's just not a good investment for me, yet. 

So I was happy to see the post on DIY solar. I was astonished at his cost per watt, but a quick search on the internet reveals 300W panels are close to 3 times the cost of what MMM was able to purchase them. I'm guessing I can't come close to that. I've still got a lot of questions.

Is this 3x price difference a reflection of the the Trump tariffs or is MMM just getting better than wholesale pricing?

I'm curious what the installed watt price for other DIY'ers is?

What are good online providers of solar array equipment?

Lan Mandragoran

• Stubble
Re: DIY Solar
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:14:58 AM »
I know the tariff was "only" 30% so thats certainly not the entire 300% increase your seeing.
Gradatim Ferociter
Step by step, ferociously

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe"

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
Re: DIY Solar
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »
Yeah I got excited about solar again after reading his blog but my costs are coming out way higher than his as well. The kit that he links seems decent and might be enough to generate what I need. Last month my power company said we used 841 kw and my average for the last year is 1,055 kw. Trying to size a system for 100% but that may not be necessary since I can't produce at night??? So would a 7kw system do the job?

My budget billing is $130 a month and I am at a surplus currently.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:01:51 AM by b4u2 »