Author Topic: Anti Automobile April - what were your numbers?  (Read 3040 times)

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
Anti Automobile April - what were your numbers?
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:23:22 PM »
MMM posted his numbers here: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/05/04/anti-automobile-april-conclusion/

Family Road Trip Driving: 1,115 miles
Local Clown Driving: 13 miles
Walking: 107 miles
Biking: 111 miles

I like how he separated his driving miles into "family road trip driving" vs "clown driving".

Here are mine (I defined "family road trip driving" as "car has kids in it, and the destination is a different town"):

Family Road Trip Driving: 147 miles
Local Clown Driving: 65 miles
Scooter: 36 miles
Biking: 93 miles

What were your numbers? Any lessons learned in doing this exercise?

Fletch

• Stubble
Re: Anti Automobile April - what were your numbers?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
Walk:  Metro:  bus:  car/cab:
91.      19.       6.5.   19

jamccain

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:10:46 AM »
Car: 8 miles
Bike: 83 miles
Walk: 5 miles

Looking back at the month those numbers look insane to me...I hadn't rode my bike more than a mile in years, much less walk more than a mile.  You can tell by my low overall numbers I live VERY close to everything.  I could have eliminated the car altogether, but the first week I "set up" the rest of the month by taking supplies to work in the car and buying some groceries.  After a couple weeks I had gained a lot of confidence and towed groceries home on a bike trailer.  Another bicyclist passed me that day and said he'd never seen anyone tow that many groceries with a bike before. 

The thing that surprised me the most is the way the stress would melt away on my bike ride home in the afternoons.  I was much happier all month.  Good start to the day and a good start to the evening with the family.  The other surprise was that trips I would normally drive for I would bike, but trips I might have biked to before I walked this month. 

I'm at it again in May...I set a goal of three months without filling up the car with gas. 

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:28:21 PM »
I'm at it again in May...I set a goal of three months without filling up the car with gas.

That's badass!