Author Topic: Why will it take so long?  (Read 36174 times)

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
Re: Why will it take so long?
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2019, 12:30:43 PM »
If the goal is freedom, then farming is really only compatible with a particular version of freedom.

Haha, exactly. It gives you the freedom to farm.

If you don't want to work for "the man" it's a very low cost way to get free of that. But it doesn't give you FIRE flexibility in the way that a "25x expenses without having to do labor (like farming)" portfolio does.

Yeah, i don't think i'd be super interested in turning it into any type of retail/commercial operation like i see online. Just more of a self-reliance thing just how FI is self reliance.

But, it is looking like i would be trading in a lot of freedom for this, so i'm not sure if that's really what i want....

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »
what is it that you want?
https://nwedible.com/mini-money-challenge-occupy-your-brainwhat-you-want-isnt-really-what-you-want/

as for the chickens,  this seemed relevant.
https://nwedible.com/you-absolutely-should-not-get-backyard-chickens/

my spouse killed a rooster for some friends once.  never again.
I understand that it's not economical to raise your own chickens merely for the eggs unless you cull the flock. It is possible to outsource the butchering.

If I were keeping chickens, they'd be pastured and I'd buy cheaper feed, so my costs wouldn't be nearly as high as that article. I'm more interested in the benefits the chickens provide to the garden (they can turn bugs and vegetation scraps into fertilizer) than the fresh eggs. I'd probably start with 2-3 birds the first year, then add to the flock 1-2 birds at a time. This probably would lead to a flock of about a dozen hens (not a problem on my current lot ~5 miles from downtown) producing about 3-4 eggs/day if I never cull the old hens. Costs would be comparable to organic free range eggs (though with a lot of extra work taking care of them and I wouldn't be buying organic for the supplemental feed).

Yeah, i'd almost certainly cull the flock. Gotta eat something!! Not interested in raising birds at $100 a pop!!

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2019, 12:33:39 PM »
https://nwedible.com/mini-money-challenge-occupy-your-brainwhat-you-want-isnt-really-what-you-want/
Back in the olden days, Erica used to post here. She hasn't posted for ages and her website seems to have gone dormant. Anybody know what happened to her?

Hey that's cool!

Back in the olden days, Erica used to post here. She hasn't posted for ages and her website seems to have gone dormant. Anybody know what happened to her?

@Dicey Being a gardener in the PNW myself, I found her website both inspirational and invaluable and followed NW Edible on Facebook, which also went dormant for a time.   She reappeared briefly, and said she'd been through a bout of depression.   She did a few updates to her website and this disappeared again.  As far as I can tell the FB page has been deleted.

That's much less cool... :( I hope she's OK.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2019, 12:35:53 PM »

I agree with the article, to the point where I question most purchases, except the crock pot.  The point about more free time and less activities might be true regardless, but a slow cocker is relatively inexpensive, I love a good crock pot soup or stew, and I'd still use it even if I had all the time in the world to make a home-cooked meal.

But have you tried the instant pot?

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2019, 01:20:45 PM »

I agree with the article, to the point where I question most purchases, except the crock pot.  The point about more free time and less activities might be true regardless, but a slow cooker is relatively inexpensive, I love a good crock pot soup or stew, and I'd still use it even if I had all the time in the world to make a home-cooked meal.

But have you tried the instant pot?

No, I know people love it, but I don't see the point in adding another kitchen appliance to fill a whole that doesn't currently exist. 

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2019, 01:42:14 PM »
No, I know people love it, but I don't see the point in adding another kitchen appliance to fill a whole that doesn't currently exist.
What I love about automatic pressure cookers (Instant Pot) is that it can be used as a rice cooker or a slow cooker (Crock Pot) in addition to its primary function. If I were choosing just one, I'd choose automatic pressure cooker. I still prefer also having a rice cooker since cooking rice to go with something in the pressure cooker is not uncommon. For me an automatic pressure cooker replaces a slow cooker as a more versatile appliance that takes up the same space. Of course a slow cooker can be had for much less than the pressure cooker (as long as you stay away from programmable features). To me the extra cost is worth it.

ETA: Instant Pot brand now makes a slow cooker and Crock Pot brand now makes an automatic pressure cooker (Crock Pot Express).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 02:08:08 PM by robartsd »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2019, 03:20:41 PM »
What I love about automatic pressure cookers (Instant Pot) is that it can be used as a rice cooker or a slow cooker (Crock Pot) in addition to its primary function. If I were choosing just one, I'd choose automatic pressure cooker. I still prefer also having a rice cooker since cooking rice to go with something in the pressure cooker is not uncommon. For me an automatic pressure cooker replaces a slow cooker as a more versatile appliance that takes up the same space. Of course a slow cooker can be had for much less than the pressure cooker (as long as you stay away from programmable features). To me the extra cost is worth it.

ETA: Instant Pot brand now makes a slow cooker and Crock Pot brand now makes an automatic pressure cooker (Crock Pot Express).
I solved that by buying two Instant Pots. Just sayin'.