Learning, Sharing, and Teaching > Case Studies

Where should I start?

<< < (8/8)

kms:
So instead of selling a car you don't really need and replacing it with something that makes more sense you are now actually thinking of getting another car? How does that make any sense? You are two adults so you don't need more than two cars, it's as simple as that. You should seriously consider selling it and getting something more fuel-efficient for between 5-10k. Not only will you have an extra stash of $10k-15k that you can use to pay back debt but you will also save money every single month.

If you are dead set on keeping that car maybe consider selling your husband's Jeep. Let him drive your Jeep, and get something fuel-efficient for yourself with the money you've made from his Jeep's sale. There's really absolutely no point in owning two of these gas-guzzling monsters unless you live at the end of a 4x4 only road atop a mountain with no infrastructure nearby.

Sugaree:
So, quick update.  By Friday, my emergency stash will be back up to $1000.  Not great, but should be sufficient if something goes wrong.  If shit really hits the fan then I do have a vacation fund, a xmas fund, and another savings account that I could dip into if absolutely necessary.  I've been working a decent amount of OT and that looks like it may continue for a while.  OT will now shift from emergency fund to debt payments.  On the car front, I have found out that not only is it very likely that I'll be able to find a vanpool to and from work (though likely only possible if not working OT), work will subsidize ~75% of it.  I need to run the numbers, but it may be worth it to work less and take the vanpool.  Last power bill was <$200 and the next is on track to be even lower.  Still not great, but we're improving.  If I can convince the boys that it doesn't need to be 68 degrees in the house we'll be good.  DH fixed the leaky faucet in the tub so hoping that will help with both water and power bills (it was hot water that was leaking). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version