Author Topic: Tips to pay Mortgage Off?  (Read 6413 times)

Candyland33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Tips to pay Mortgage Off?
« on: May 16, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »
Income $100K
Mortgage: $207K
30 year loan on 3.75%
Loan started in August 2017

Current loan amount is $179K. I made a few extra payments over the past 2 years using my savings and tax rebate.

On average i spend $3,700 per month between mortgage, HOA, car and other bills. I do support my parents so about $500 per month towards them, which is included in the $3,700.   I only have car and mortgage as my debt. Car will be paid off next year. 

Below is my budget.

Budget   Type
 $18,600.00     Mortgage
 $600.00     Home
 $420.00     Electricity
 $240.00     Water+Gas
 $1,020.00     Internet
 $4,812.00     Car pmt
 $360.00     Personal Care
 $1,155.00     Car fuel
 $120.00     Health insurance (med, vision, dental, d&d)
 $360.00     Gym
 $420.00     Phone
 $180.00     Tolieties
 $1,200.00     Groceries
 $360.00     Misc.
 $3,240.00     Entertainment
 $6,000.00     Mom&Dad

Annual Expenses   
 $200.00     Clothes
 $1,525.00 Travel
 $280.00     Car maintenance
 $289.38     Car Tax
 $706.80     Car insurance
 $180.00     Haircut
 $400.00     Gifts/Charity
 $300.00     Christmas/T-giving
 $825.00     2 weddings

Where can I improve? Any tips?

I have some savings for emergencies about 30K. Should I put those towards my mortgage? or should I leave for emergencies?

Thank you

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: Tips to pay Mortgage Off?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 03:29:16 PM »
Are you saving/investing for retirement at all?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 04:50:20 PM »
If you are holding bonds or fixed income investments that you expect will return less than 3.75% after tax, selling those and paying ahead on the mortgage would be reasonable.

If you have stock investments, it is likely (but not guaranteed) that holding the stock investments will return more than 3.75% after tax, so not paying ahead on the mortgage and, instead, adding to the stock investments would be reasonable.

See Investment Order for more.

Candyland33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 04:54:28 PM »
I have 401k. Save about 7% there.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 05:28:08 PM »
The question of whether it makes sense to pay off a mortgage early is one of the most controversial on any personal finance site, it seems. One dude who was passionate about not paying off the mortgage has been banned, but his thread about not paying offf the mortgage lives on. Search for Boarder42. An alternative is to create a “sinking fund” in which you accumulate taxable investments until you can pay off the mortgage in one fell swoop, so that you don’t sacrifice the opportunity to earn potentially higher gains and liquidity.

There are so many of these threads, I’m not sure there is much new to say.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 09:04:31 AM »
I suggest looking up the Investment Order sticky.  A 3.5% mortgage rate is incredibly low by historical standards,* so you should not be prioritizing paying that down at least until you have other higher priorities covered -- like maxing out your 401(k) and IRA.  Remember, when you retire, you will not just need a place to live, but you will need money to live on.  Once you have your retirement accounts on track to support you by the time you FIRE, then you can devote extra money to getting rid of the mortgage debt.

*The stock market has always, always done better than 3.5% over any 30-year period -- even the 30 years that include the Great Depression (lowest average was 8%, see https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2016/05/deconstructing-30-year-stock-market-returns/).  So the way I figure it, if the stock market doesn't do better than 3.5% over the next 28 years, there is something seriously wrong with the economy -- as in, multiple times worse than the Great Depression.  And if that happens, nobody's retiring anyway. 

MoneyizHere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 09:41:50 AM »
If I were you  - I'd look to pay off the car payment as a first step - assuming that the financing is greater than your mortgage financing. And many could debate here as far as whether you should have a nice car in the first place since a car is just

I agree with those who say never pay off your mortgage amount - Having the cash on hand invested is a better idea and the market has grown much greater than 3.75%. (in this sense - the math works out with using this leverage). 

With that being said -I could also appreciate being debt free as well - so once you've grown that taxable account to a level high enough to pay off your mortgage in full - then by all means - throw it at the Mortgage to get final pay-off.  Otherwise - you're wasting your time with accelerated pay-off schedule - you're just throwing money at "invisible equity" that could only be recuperated if you sell, whilst at the same time decreasing your liquidity/options because you don't have the security of the cash-available on hand.  Make just the min payments on your mortgage until you have enough to pay off in full.  3.75% is a pretty good rate. 

Then you could finally pocket the mortgage payment savings and really accelerate your

Candyland33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 01:57:49 PM »
Thank you for advice. My car loan on my Toyota Hybrid 2% and I have 1 year left before finishing to pay it off.

FreeBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 09:32:18 PM »
Please do not risk your emergency fund to PARTIALLY pay off your mortgage or pay it off faster!  If you lose your job, even with a fully paid off house, you won't have a strong emergency fund to pay for food, gas, and all other living expenses.  On the other hand, if you lose your job with 3-6 months of emergency fund, you can pay your monthly mortgage for several months between jobs.  Also, the emergency fund can be used for other issues like major home or car repair without risking credit card debt.

You spent $5K on entertainment, and travel, and gifts (not including parental support) but only funded your 401K at 7%.  Honestly, I think you are underfunding your retirement account.  Suggest a goal of 10-15% of your gross income, even if you don't have direct plans to retire early. If money is tight, increase your 401K funding 1-2% each year until you max. it out, then look at other investing options (investment order link provided earlier).

A great of financial advice I received earlier in my career was to max out my 401k retirement savings, then learn to live on what's left.  Pay your future self first (retirement savings), then pay your monthly mortgage, bills, parents, friends, charity, and fun money.  After all, who is going to take care of you in retirement, or even if you face chronic job issues or health problems or other issues over the years?

Candyland33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »
I updated my 401K to save 15% now and hopefully that'll help.  Thought of retirement is really scary since I don't have much saved there.

Also, I was thinking of doing a Roth IRA or putting into a high savings bank with good APY for the extra money I have.  Might be better than just having it and not making any off of it.  Any thoughts?

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 05:49:15 AM »
It seems like an awful lot of house for you, but that wasn't your question. I'd fill up the IRA for this year and support other suggestions on maxing out 401k as soon as possible.

Do you have an HSA? Also an underestimated savings vehicle. Not sure of the law but perhaps you could help your parents with medical expenses from your HSA and give pretax money instead.

All in all not the best idea to pay mortgage off early as others have said.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

legalstache

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 12:41:02 PM »
As others have suggested, you should start putting money aggressively into tax-advantaged accounts (e.g., 401k, IRA, HSA, etc.) Review the Investment Order thread if you need guidance there.

Your goal should not necessarily be to be debt free. Your goal should be to have enough money to support your living expenses (including any debt). You have a good income and your expenses are low enough that you should be able to get your investment account balances up fairly quickly.

Personally, I would start by investing some of that $30k in your emergency fund. $30k would cover 8 months living expenses for you, which is too much in an e-fund by just about any measure.

Candyland33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 09:50:41 AM »
Thank you so much all of you for your help and guidance.

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 01:44:51 PM »
Income $100K
Mortgage: $207K
30 year loan on 3.75%
Loan started in August 2017

Current loan amount is $179K. I made a few extra payments over the past 2 years using my savings and tax rebate.

On average i spend $3,700 per month between mortgage, HOA, car and other bills. I do support my parents so about $500 per month towards them, which is included in the $3,700.   I only have car and mortgage as my debt. Car will be paid off next year. 

Below is my budget.

Budget   Type
 $18,600.00     Mortgage
 $600.00     Home
 $420.00     Electricity
 $240.00     Water+Gas
 $1,020.00     Internet
 $4,812.00     Car pmt
 $360.00     Personal Care
 $1,155.00     Car fuel
 $120.00     Health insurance (med, vision, dental, d&d)
 $360.00     Gym
 $420.00     Phone
 $180.00     Tolieties
 $1,200.00     Groceries
 $360.00     Misc.
 $3,240.00     Entertainment
 $6,000.00     Mom&Dad

Annual Expenses   
 $200.00     Clothes
 $1,525.00 Travel
 $280.00     Car maintenance
 $289.38     Car Tax
 $706.80     Car insurance
 $180.00     Haircut
 $400.00     Gifts/Charity
 $300.00     Christmas/T-giving
 $825.00     2 weddings

Where can I improve? Any tips?

I have some savings for emergencies about 30K. Should I put those towards my mortgage? or should I leave for emergencies?

Thank you

30k is alot of money to have in an emergency fund imo. Like everyone else has said, you'll very likely end up richer if you put that extra in something other than a 3.75% loan.

Yeah... I get the hesitation with starting trying to get to FIRE. It does seem far away, painfully so. Only way to get it closer though is to make it happen.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 04:26:04 AM »
keep the mortgage!! thats a good rate.

pay off the other debts and build your investments instead.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »
Any possibility of getting a roommate? That income could offset the money you send to your parents.

It seems you have very little saved for your retirement. You know how they say "Pay yourself first" and "Put on your own airmask first"? This applies to you. The bank is the primary beneficiary when you prepay your mortgage, and believe me, if things get tough, they will not show one shred of gratitude. It is so much better to watch your 'stache grow. Having a ton of money and investments really does give you lots more choices, and even makes you more financially bulletproof. That is an amazing feeling. I guarantee it's a much more permanent high than killing off a cheap, fixed rate mortgage.

Feel free to join the party here:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/dont-payoff-your-mortgage-club/

bilmar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 08:08:54 AM »
I too recommend you keep the mortgage and make more interest with the money you did not pay down the mortgage with.

BUT, when you come close to FIRE consider paying it off then.
Why?  Because your required income will be much less without a mortgage payment and that can really impact your ACA healthcare costs.

So if you need $30k to live with a mortgage, you may only need $15k if it is paid off. An income of $15k makes you 'Poor' in the eyes of US gov so you get the very best ACA plans and rates which could potentially best the benefits of holding on to the mortgage forever.

Bill

Kronsey

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 04:39:42 PM »
An income of $15k makes you 'Poor' in the eyes of US gov so you get the very best ACA plans and rates which could potentially best the benefits of holding on to the mortgage forever.

Sorry to nitpick, but for anybody reading please be sure to check with your own state to see what the income MINIMUMS are for getting ACA coverage. In some states, an income of $15k would be too low to qualify for ACA and unfortunately you may not qualify for Medicaid/state insurance either.

I understand that you probably just meant "keep your income lower for better ACA APTC" which I completely agree. I am weighing a 15 vs 30 year refi for all the reasons you mention. My FI date should be around 15 years or sooner from now, and it would feel really good to not have a mortgage payment at that time even though I understand the math behind going with the 30 year and investing the difference.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 12:06:49 AM »
An income of $15k makes you 'Poor' in the eyes of US gov so you get the very best ACA plans and rates which could potentially best the benefits of holding on to the mortgage forever.

Sorry to nitpick, but for anybody reading please be sure to check with your own state to see what the income MINIMUMS are for getting ACA coverage. In some states, an income of $15k would be too low to qualify for ACA and unfortunately you may not qualify for Medicaid/state insurance either.

I understand that you probably just meant "keep your income lower for better ACA APTC" which I completely agree. I am weighing a 15 vs 30 year refi for all the reasons you mention. My FI date should be around 15 years or sooner from now, and it would feel really good to not have a mortgage payment at that time even though I understand the math behind going with the 30 year and investing the difference.
Trust me, having a shitload of money that you can do whatever you want with feels way better than prepaying your mortgage. And, you can always get a 30 and pay it off on a 15 year schedule.  (This is only a hypothetical; don't do the second part.) That way you are not obligated to make the higher payment. Much more flexible.

And it never hurts to reiterate that if you're not maxing out every retirement vehicle available to you before you prepay the mortgage, you're doing it wrong.

If you will absolutely die if you don't kill the mortgage, then save the money in your own investment account(s) until you have enough to pay it off in one payment. It's the safest way to go. Happily, when most people get to that place, they dig the investment returns they're getting and let the cheap-ass, affordable mortgage ride.

bilmar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 07:17:33 AM »

Fair comment - Some states do require minimum income  of 138% of poverty level or about $17k. Key point is that these numbers will change over the years so do your homework closer to FIRE date and decide IF you want to pay of your mortgage the year before you FIRE to reduce your required income to get lower ACA costs after FIRE.

OurFirstFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 07:45:41 AM »
The main tactic I would advise is don't pay anything extra on your mortgage until you can pay it all off.  Put that money aside and earn interest and when it's big enough to eliminate the mortgage then you can decide to do so.  If you just make extra payments sure you'll save a bit of interest, but if a huge financial emergency happens that money is not easy to get back from the mortgage lender.  You'll still have to make monthly payments or risk foreclosure, and you don't get leeway because you paid a bunch extra before.  So, keeping your money in your control until it can do real good (completely removing a bank's claim on your house) is the way to go.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 08:08:36 AM »
Not to derail things too much, but on the subject of prepaying or not, does the consensus change at all in light of the ability to recast a mortgage if you throw a chunk of $ at it?

Hypothetical since we don’t plan on doing it, but we could get our mortgage recast if we put a minimum of $50k on it.

I expect the answer would involve a lot of complicated spreadsheet on my end to look at ACA subsidies, MAGI calculations, and taxes, and my head is spinning at the very thought.

Kronsey

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 11:04:47 AM »

Trust me, having a shitload of money that you can do whatever you want with feels way better than prepaying your mortgage. And, you can always get a 30 and pay it off on a 15 year schedule.  (This is only a hypothetical; don't do the second part.) That way you are not obligated to make the higher payment. Much more flexible.

And it never hurts to reiterate that if you're not maxing out every retirement vehicle available to you before you prepay the mortgage, you're doing it wrong.

If you will absolutely die if you don't kill the mortgage, then save the money in your own investment account(s) until you have enough to pay it off in one payment. It's the safest way to go. Happily, when most people get to that place, they dig the investment returns they're getting and let the cheap-ass, affordable mortgage ride.

I think you were responding to me, so I'll try to explain my situation better. I've been participating on this thread and the DON'T Payoff Your Mortgage thread. I don't think I've fully shared my concerns for 15 yr vs 30 yr refi on this thread.

I understand and agree with the math, logic, and flexibility behind "go with the 30 year and invest the difference". My own situation has a few more curve balls compared to most (at least in my own mind :)

I am already maxing out pre-tax retirement accounts to the tune of $75K plus per year. That includes full 401K deferral for me, for my wife, company match on the 401K amounts, a profit sharing contribution from my business for both of us (I am self employed but have the business setup as an S-Corp and pay myself and my wife a salary to maximize all pre-tax retirement space), and we max out a TIRA each. All that combined gives us an extremely favorable taxable income to the point that insurance is as close to "free" as is currently possible.

The free/heavily discounted insurance is very important for us. My wife does help me with some admin duties, but primarily takes care of our home and our two young sons. I have Crohn's disease and take a few medicines that help me live a much better quality of life. If I were to try to pay for those medicines out of pocket or purchase insurance without the APTC subsidies, those costs would be more than our TOTAL monthly spending currently. So staying in the perfect income range is so important that it could double our current monthly spending if something were to go wrong.

Within our current monthly budget, we could easily afford the $1,248/mo for the 15 year mortgage vs the $893 for the 30 year mortgage. I 100% believe that I would have more money if I got the 30 mortgage and put the extra $355 in a taxable account and purchased VTI each and every month. The problem is that I am unsure of what that growing balance would throw off in additional income plus future capital gains. I'm not afraid of paying some additional taxes. I am afraid the potential additional income would screw up the ACA and APTC planning that I work hard to achieve. I also understand our healthcare situation is a complete crap shoot. I do not expect it to look and act the same way it does currently, but I don't have a crystal ball to predict the future of the healthcare system. So I am stuck trying to plan based upon the current system we have in place at the moment.

Does that help? And if so, do you still think I'm being foolish? I'm literally waiting to refi after considering all of the above over the last couple weeks. Rates are pretty good, but I don't think interest rates are going to shoot up too much as the fed just announced they may be lowering interest rates in the very near future so I guess I'm not in a huge hurry either.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 07:08:10 PM »
First and foremost, congratulations on your progress. You are making an intelligent, informed decision.  You are not blindly trying to kill your mortgage for fear of debt, nor are you doing it (or proposing to) at the expense of retirement savings. You are, in medical jargon, more of a zebra. IMO, you deserve a lot more leeway, because you are doing the math. You understand the ramifications of your decision.

I'm not a CPA or a tax expert, but there is not a direct correlation between investments and income. More investments does not equate to more income until you hit RMD's in your early seventies, unless you buy dividend paying stocks, so don't do that. Easy.

I would pay heed to stories like nereo's and make sure you have sufficient cash or cash equivalents to make a LOT of mortgage payments. "Get a 30, pay in 15" still gives you more flexibility, but the monthly differential is not that huge in your case.

Finally, even if you are a zebra, re-read my last paragraph.* It offers the least risk for the majority of situations, including your own. Even if the advantage is somewhat less for you specifically, it is more than zero.

BTW, congratulations on your zebra status!

*ADDED for clarity: I'm referring to my last paragraph in comment #19 above.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:26:29 AM by Dicey »

Ben Kurtz

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 10:21:52 AM »
@Kronsey

I 100% believe that I would have more money if I got the 30 mortgage and put the extra $355 in a taxable account and purchased VTI each and every month. The problem is that I am unsure of what that growing balance would throw off in additional income plus future capital gains.

You mention two young sons but no 529 plan contributions.  That's another tax-sheltered account you can use to shield yourself from recognizing unwanted yearly investment income.  The answer to your dilemma may be as simple as that.

But if you strongly believe that you do not need educational savings accounts, and instead want the cash to accrue strictly to you, the answer then, as @Dicey suggests, is NOT to buy VTI or anything with a significant dividend rate.  The NASDAQ ETF (QQQ) has a dividend yield of around 0.80%.  Meaning you'd have to hold $100,000 in order to realize an annual dividend income of merely $800 from that source.  More generally, any index specializing in "growth" stocks over "value" stocks" will have a low dividend rate, and a true index fund will have very little churn, throwing off very little involuntary capital gains.

If you really want to minimize your odds of realizing involuntary capital gains, this would be the time to step away from funds and buy individual stocks, buying a good mix of larger growth companies.  That way, you control realization events almost perfectly -- nothing short of a cash buyout could trigger an involuntary capital gain.  You just buy and hold individual stocks potentially forever (or at least until you are at Medicare age, when all this income planning won't be necessary even under current rules). Such portfolio construction may make your rebalancing events more complicated or imperfect, but such is life.  And with more individual issuers in your portfolio, you also increase the odds of having some tax losses available in any given year, which you can selectively harvest to offset any involuntary gains. 

Bottom line -- it should be fairly easy, even in your case, to invest substantial additional amounts for long-term growth without running the risk of recognizing significant amounts of yearly taxable income.

Finally, given that you have a business that you run as an S-Corp, you must be in a position to incur some additional business expenses come the second half of December in order to offset any additional income you didn't want to earn -- didn't you mean to stock up on $800 worth of toner cartriges, or something?

I generally believe that a family is well served by living in a fully paid-off house when it reaches FIRE.  Minimizing one's fixed monthly obligations when living entirely off of investments brings peace of mind to a lot of people and can have good tax and ACA subsidy benefits.  But I equally believe that one should not get there by applying large amounts of one's surplus and savings, year after year, to extra mortgage payments while one is still building up a nest egg.  It ties up equity and the "earnings" (i.e. the avoided interest cost) aren't worth it.  Build the nest-egg first, build-up a sinking fund, and when close to retirement work out an off-ramp for liquidating investments and paying off the house.

Kronsey

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 12:09:07 PM »
@Ben Kurtz - thanks for taking the time to reply. I tried to respond to your points below.

You mention two young sons but no 529 plan contributions.  That's another tax-sheltered account you can use to shield yourself from recognizing unwanted yearly investment income.  The answer to your dilemma may be as simple as that.

Yes - two young sons, and no plans to contribute to 529 plans. It is tax sheltered in the sense that investment gains grow tax free, but I get no federal tax benefit from the upfront contribution. Without going too far off topic, I do not believe college will be necessary unless my boys want to go into a select few fields. If so, I will be happy to help them fund their educations (working longer, etc). Regardless, a 529 leaves me with a half paid off mortgage (in years) and no access to that money to pay off the mortgage or to live on if need be.

But if you strongly believe that you do not need educational savings accounts, and instead want the cash to accrue strictly to you, the answer then, as @Dicey suggests, is NOT to buy VTI or anything with a significant dividend rate.  The NASDAQ ETF (QQQ) has a dividend yield of around 0.80%.  Meaning you'd have to hold $100,000 in order to realize an annual dividend income of merely $800 from that source.  More generally, any index specializing in "growth" stocks over "value" stocks" will have a low dividend rate, and a true index fund will have very little churn, throwing off very little involuntary capital gains.

If you really want to minimize your odds of realizing involuntary capital gains, this would be the time to step away from funds and buy individual stocks, buying a good mix of larger growth companies.  That way, you control realization events almost perfectly -- nothing short of a cash buyout could trigger an involuntary capital gain.  You just buy and hold individual stocks potentially forever (or at least until you are at Medicare age, when all this income planning won't be necessary even under current rules). Such portfolio construction may make your rebalancing events more complicated or imperfect, but such is life.  And with more individual issuers in your portfolio, you also increase the odds of having some tax losses available in any given year, which you can selectively harvest to offset any involuntary gains.

I know this will sound very lazy (because it is), but honestly even with companies like M1 Finance making individual stocks far more easy and attractive, that still sounds like more work then I'd want to put in. The upside just isn't large enough to be worth the effort IMHO. We are talking about a refi of a $150,000 balance. Because the numbers are so much smaller than a typical American mortgage, I'd have to significantly outpace the rate of return to make it worth the time and effort.

At 30 years @ 3.75%, my PI would roughly be $1,054/month.

At 15 years @ 3.25%, my PI would roughly be $695/month.

Plugging in that difference of $359 into a compound interest calculator gets me: $96,000 at 5% nominal & $114,000 at 7% nominal (rounding for simplicity) after 15 years. If I take the 30 year mortgage, my balance is roughly $95,000 at the end 15 years. I realize I could make much more than 7%, but I could also do much worse.

The numbers seem to work much better for those who have a way higher mortgage balance than we do. With that small of an amount of upside, it just isn't worth it to me. I'll take the guaranteed return of 3.75% and treat that portion of my portfolio like a bond or high yield savings account (more on that below).

Also realize I'm already investing about $75K/year into the market moving forward, so we are talking about investing $75K into the market vs roughly $79K into the market. Less than 5% of my overall yearly investments if I chose to go with the 15 year vs 30 year mortgage.

We will also be saving around $6,000 year in high yield savings accounts. So all in all, if you count what I'm saving in low yield investments (the difference in mortgage payments plus the monthly addition to high yield savings accounts), we are taking about $10K a year going to low risk, low return investments and $75K going into 100% stock index funds/etfs. So I look at it as investing around 88% in stocks, and 12% in bonds/cash. I believe that to be a good overall asset allocation for us to achieve our goals.

Back to the main point, though, is would I take the guaranteed return of mortgage pay down vs the non-guaranteed return of investing the difference plus the worry/hassle of keeping income as low as possible? Yes, I would, even realizing I may be shorting myself a few thousand dollars at the end of 15 years.

Finally, given that you have a business that you run as an S-Corp, you must be in a position to incur some additional business expenses come the second half of December in order to offset any additional income you didn't want to earn -- didn't you mean to stock up on $800 worth of toner cartriges, or something?

I generally believe that a family is well served by living in a fully paid-off house when it reaches FIRE.  Minimizing one's fixed monthly obligations when living entirely off of investments brings peace of mind to a lot of people and can have good tax and ACA subsidy benefits.  But I equally believe that one should not get there by applying large amounts of one's surplus and savings, year after year, to extra mortgage payments while one is still building up a nest egg.  It ties up equity and the "earnings" (i.e. the avoided interest cost) aren't worth it.  Build the nest-egg first, build-up a sinking fund, and when close to retirement work out an off-ramp for liquidating investments and paying off the house.

Regarding the business stuff, yes, I could come up with some phantom expenses (real expenses but purchasing stuff I don't really need), but that doesn't go with my overall goal of working as little as possible to make this plan a reality. Cash flow is somewhat tight in the sense that I am trying hard not to earn too much as I have run out of pre-tax room to defer it in (more income equals less ACA subsidies).

My business is pretty straight forward - all clients are on a monthly billing arrangement (my billing software debits the same amount on the first of the month), and all my expenses are pretty standard as well (mostly software, insurance, collection costs, and a few other miscellaneous things that are the same amount each month). So if my income is the same, but I raise expenses for no reason other than to reduce income, then I've basically reduced our retirement contributions to make that work. Hope that makes sense.

I agree with your last paragraph completely. I think you can see that I am not tying up large portions of our net worth or investments in a 15 vs 30 year mortgage. We are talking about a couple thousand dollars a year, which is an overall very small piece of our yearly investment amounts which I believe fit nicely when viewed as bonds/savings account portion of our portfolio.

Feel free to poke any holes in my thoughts/plans. I'm always wanting to learn and consider other options.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 12:10:57 PM »
Don't.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Tips to pay Mortgage Off?
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »
I’ve been fretting in my own little corner about stretching out our mortgage for the full term versus paying it down for purposes of sequence of returns risk reduction. I’m still unclear on what the numbers actually say about whether that reduces risk in retirement or not. That said, at one point someone chimed in that if I was at the point of worrying over this level of optimization then I was probably totally fine either way as it meant I had been really focusing on doing all the right things. I’m not sure how truly applicable this is to me with my much bigger balance, but I expect it is true ok your case.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 05:03:37 PM by ysette9 »

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 04:36:51 AM »
In your situation, here is what I would do -

1. Open a Wealthfront savings account. They are offering 2.5 APY.
2. Whatever you are going to pay extra to the mortgage, I would start putting that in the savings account.
3. When you have accumulated enough to pay it off, just go ahead and pay it off in one go.

Here is my rationale for doing this -

One of the arguments against paying off mortgage early is that even if you have been diligently making extra payments for years, if you were to ever fall on hard times, you get no benefit these extra payments. You will still be at the risk of losing your home.

You have a pretty darn good interest rate, so you are not losing too much by putting money in the savings account, and you have a nice cushion of cash in case something bad were to happen (god forbid).

This is the method I used. You can read about it in my blog post. Feel free to ask any questions.

Paying off my home is one of the best decisions I made in life. I would not change it. That said, I completely understand why some folks choose not to. They have a good reason too. So now its a matter of making your own choice.