Author Topic: The beatles Case Study  (Read 264809 times)

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
Re: The Beatles case study: Follow up question
« Reply #1300 on: February 01, 2017, 12:12:15 PM »
Sell all three houses . . .

Hundreds of thousands in equity converted to cash . . .

I understand your point, I do. Thank you for being so helpful and concerned. But please, allow us to stay on topic with the rental I beg you.
  Ok.  But in post #102, a part of it said "Replace the roof.  Use a credit card."

Do you have $4000 available on a credit card?

Can you sell enough crap to get $4000?

I agree that the roof needs to be fixed.  That would be true even if you were not selling it.

A buyer can fix it.

You are convinced that this would cost you $35000 at sale time.  I am not convinced, but it is you that must make the decision, so I say, fine, fix the roof.  Now please tell us how you are going to pay for that $4000.

Can you sell stuff to get it?

Can you borrow it?

Your husband's side gig will not bring it in within a short enough window of time.  I would not want to wait until May to replace something this important.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1301 on: February 01, 2017, 12:13:09 PM »
theotherbeatle

Can I point out that the type and pattern of your responses in the past 48 hours is amazingly similar to beatles posting style, after the first posting?  (I noticed because beatles had a unusual posting style / frequency / type of comment for this forum, in general).

May you are now the beatles posting under a wife's name?

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1302 on: February 01, 2017, 12:14:13 PM »
theotherbeatle

Can I point out that the type and pattern of your responses in the past 48 hours is amazingly similar to beatles posting style, after the first posting?  (I noticed because beatles had a unusual posting style / frequency / type of comment for this forum, in general).

Would admitting that be grounds for a ban of this second username?  Just asking.

theotherbeatle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1303 on: February 01, 2017, 12:16:37 PM »
theotherbeatle

The beatles is my husband. A mod is welcome to call me on my cell phone to verify if they wish.

Likely wont be necessary though, I think i've received the answer that I came here for. Thanks.

Iplawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #1304 on: February 01, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »
Agreed.  The wife is just as evasive as Beatles was.  Answer this question:

HOW DID YOU HANDLE PAYING FOR 40K OF TAXES?

When you answer that - I'll take you seriously.  Otherwise - I won't.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1305 on: February 01, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »
Likely wont be necessary though, I think i've received the answer that I came here for. Thanks.

theotherbeatle, I really hope you've gotten what you need from this thread, and that you've made a decision about how you're going to go forward.  You have more choices than you think - sell the house as is (presumably to a cash buyer), or fix the roof (using credit, or by selling some of your stuff, or even by getting money from your IL's - despite what people here might think about that) so that it can be sold with a traditional mortgage.  Whichever option you've decided on, I want to wish you the very best of luck on moving forward with it quickly. 

Other posters aren't wrong in emphasizing the urgency of the matter - for myself, I have a sick feeling in my stomach thinking about all the things that could go wrong for you.  Fire or accident in an uninsured building, serious water damage due to the roof, foreclosure due to the unpaid property taxes.  At the heart of some of the face punches and questions about your identity is anxiety for the sake of your family and your financial future.  I don't know if you're a religious person, but I'm praying for you, that nothing goes wrong in the time it takes for you to get the property sold.

If you decide to come back to the forums afterward, consider looking through some of the many old case studies and journals, so that you can see how other people have managed to get past things like emotional attachments to things they own, sunk cost fallacies, family dynamics re: money, and the felt need to keep up with neighbours.  You are not the only one who has wrestled with taking these first big steps!  But once you get it done, and start to make headway, you will feel so unencumbered, you'll hardly understand how you stood up under the pressure of your debt before.  We've seen it before, and we're hoping the same for you!  (And some of us - myself included - are still in the midst of figuring it all out!)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1306 on: February 01, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »

If you decide to come back to the forums afterward, consider looking through some of the many old case studies and journals, so that you can see how other people have managed to get past things like emotional attachments to things they own, sunk cost fallacies, family dynamics re: money, and the felt need to keep up with neighbours.  You are not the only one who has wrestled with taking these first big steps!  But once you get it done, and start to make headway, you will feel so unencumbered, you'll hardly understand how you stood up under the pressure of your debt before.  We've seen it before, and we're hoping the same for you!  (And some of us - myself included - are still in the midst of figuring it all out!)

Excellent post!  Beatles and theotherbeatle... I wish you the best, too.   

theotherbeatle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1307 on: February 01, 2017, 01:10:38 PM »
I sent a couple PM's.

Last question (I hope): Does anyone know of any insurance options where we can insure the rest of the house, absent the roof?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1308 on: February 01, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »
I don't think you'll find insurance that really works like that.

GetSmart

• Stubble
« Reply #1309 on: February 01, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »
I just feel I need to respond before this thread goes the same way as the other one.  I’m going to go against the grain a bit here - so please read through before everyone starts jumping to conclusions. 

First, it is unfortunate that The Beatles feel the need for the cryptic answers, but to be fair, some commenters are going right back to the previous thread and making up a lot of things.  We don’t have a lot of information still: numbers, backstories, etc.  Without that information there are things that we just shouldn’t be commenting on. (i.e. - tons of people in this country owe back taxes - we have no idea if they have worked out a deal are making payments or what - please don’t assume that anyone is avoiding paying or doing anything illegal - we just don’t have that information, so not ours to judge).

Secondly, to the Beatles: it really feels as though you have blinders on (still) and cannot see the solutions that are lying at your feet. You need an ‘outside of the box’ solution which some here are trying to provide as you usually can’t see it yourself while you’re in the middle of the swamp.

I also understand the emotional and family components (and pulls) that are going on here and that should not be discounted.  Nobody here is living in your house - only you know what the real situation is.

Here’s my pitch:  From the numbers you’ve given it appears that the ‘big’ house with the guesthouse has a mortgage of @ 200k.  The house you’re in has a mortgage of @175k (can’t remember exactly)  these are not that far apart in payment sizes depending on interest rate and yet you couldn’t afford to stay in the big house.  I’m assuming that the taxes and insurance are much, much higher than on your current house.  So why not have your parents move into the guest house; you move into the big house.  You pay the P&I; your parents pay for the T&Ins. Mow your own lawn or plant wildflowers and get rid of the grass !  With your parents nearby perhaps they can help out with babysitting so you could work 2 days/ week - aren’t you a med tech?  You should be able to bring in some decent money with that. This way the property stays in the family which seems to be important and everybody wins.

Sell the house you are currently in - it might be a small loss - but better in the long run.

The rental house is another emotional attachment.  You need to decide if that neighborhood is going to turn-around or is going to continue to decline - tough decision, but look around and be honest. You already have way more money in it than it’s worth - it seems.  That’s a sunk cost.  You can either hang on to it for nostalgic reasons or get rid of it.  If the roof can really be done for 4k then just get it done already - even if you have to borrow it from family.

Regarding the debt - this is where I diverge from most here.  The simplest solution that would reduce the stress level is to make a real and legitimate loan from the parents assuming that they can loan enough to cover all current debt —  (that means pay interest, notarize it, make it legal and binding!)  I see this as no different than going to Lending Club or similar.  If they refuse to be paid back ask that the repayments go into a 529 fund for your kids - it would be forced savings for you.  BUT the caveat here is that you have to admit the mess you’re in to yourselves and to your families (parents), commit to turning it around and not continue to live a lifestyle that you can’t afford on 60k/year.

I hope this helps.  It may not be easy for you, but it’s a win / win don’t you think ?

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #1310 on: February 01, 2017, 01:56:45 PM »
Here’s my pitch:  So why not have your parents move into the guest house; you move into the big house.  You pay the P&I; your parents pay for the T&Ins. Mow your own lawn or plant wildflowers and get rid of the grass !  With your parents nearby perhaps they can help out with babysitting so you could work 2 days/ week - aren’t you a med tech?  You should be able to bring in some decent money with that. This way the property stays in the family which seems to be important and everybody wins.

Sell the house you are currently in - it might be a small loss - but better in the long run.

This has already been suggested MULTIPLE TIMES by MULTIPLE PEOPLE!  They are unwilling to consider this solution.

The rental house is another emotional attachment.  You need to decide if that neighborhood is going to turn-around or is going to continue to decline - tough decision, but look around and be honest. You already have way more money in it than it’s worth - it seems.  That’s a sunk cost.  You can either hang on to it for nostalgic reasons...

They can NOT keep this rental property.  They can not afford it.  They are already 2 years behind on property taxes, with another year coming up that they can't pay.  They can't afford ongoing maintenance or the homeowner's insurance premium.

Regarding the debt - The simplest solution that would reduce the stress level is to make a real and legitimate loan from the parents assuming that they can loan enough to cover all current debt —  (that means pay interest, notarize it, make it legal and binding!)  BUT the caveat here is that you have to admit the mess you’re in to yourselves and to your families (parents), commit to turning it around and not continue to live a lifestyle that you can’t afford on 60k/year.
They are already sucking the parents dry!!!  The parents have already given them well over $150,000 and counting!!! 
Yet TheBeatles continue to find ways to rack up sh*t tons of debt.  Even with all of this financial help, they just keep digging themselves deeper in the hole.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1311 on: February 01, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »
Hey cool, do you know where I can find $40k laying around? I need to 'find' a check like that....

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1312 on: February 01, 2017, 02:13:17 PM »
If the money was a gift from the in-laws, be sure that they are complying with the IRS rules for gift tax.  More info here:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Planning-and-Checklists/The-Gift-Tax/INF12036.html

theotherbeatle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1313 on: February 01, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »
If the money was a gift from the in-laws, be sure that they are complying with the IRS rules for gift tax.  More info here:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Planning-and-Checklists/The-Gift-Tax/INF12036.html

It was all done through his parents attorney.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1314 on: February 01, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »
I'm going to PM you with a more specific question.

theotherbeatle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1315 on: February 01, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
I'm going to PM you with a more specific question.

Thank you. I would rather answer detailed question in private.

Iplawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #1316 on: February 01, 2017, 02:34:25 PM »
Each person can give anybody $14K with no tax consequences.  So grandpa can give DIL $14K, grandma can give DIL $14K, Grandpa can give Son $14K an Grandma can give son $14K.  That is a total of $56K that can be transferred from Beatles' parents to the Beatles with no tax consequences.

But here is even a better solution.  Since the Beatles cannot afford to fix the roof and since they owe the Beatles parents a shit ton of money - they should just sign over the house to the parents.  The parents can fix the roof and sell it and pay off the HELOC and property taxes and have some kind of return on the investment into that house - that Beatles said the parents put $120K into.  That solves the rental house problem and - by default - resolves the issue of the parents not getting paid back.  And if the parents chose to keep the rental and fix the roof so be it - but at least the Beatles will be out from under it and can carry on taking care of their other massive bills.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1317 on: February 01, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
OMG.  AGAIN?  We're back here again?  I'm just catching up with this new thread, but it is clear that thebeatles and theotherbeatle have such similar writing style and selective answering skills, that the only thing of interest to me in this new thread is seeing how all of the same people who were sucked in to the first thread are again sucked in to the second thread. 

How many times are you all willing to say the same things over and over?  It is comical! 

Also, because I can't resist joining in either... If you trust your realtor's opinion so much, then why doesn't the realtor put up the money for the roof and you can have a profit sharing split with the realtor based on some ratio of profits with the roof investment vs. without.   This can either be written into the contract or as a side contract.  If the realtor is so convinced, then have her put her money where her mouth is and put up the dough herself.  And don't forget to reduce her fee on the profit part, because then that would be double-dipping on the fees. 

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #1318 on: February 01, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »

How many times are you all willing to say the same things over and over?  It is comical! 

Also, because I can't resist joining in either...

Resistance is futile! 

It's like a giant internet psych experiment proving that MMMers are *very* committed to trying to help people make good decisions. So not a bad thing.  But we are all comical.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #1319 on: February 01, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »
I sent a couple PM's.

Last question (I hope): Does anyone know of any insurance options where we can insure the rest of the house, absent the roof?

LOL! Stop it!

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #1320 on: February 01, 2017, 06:51:03 PM »
Following. :)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1321 on: February 01, 2017, 07:36:02 PM »
We just can't resist, can we? I for one want desperately to come back and see that the Beatles family has listed the black hole rental, has grown up and told the parents that they have to go find their own housing, and decided to sell the house they live in to pay off their debts. We are all probably hoping that which is why we keep coming back. This case study is irresistible because it is simultaneously a catastrophe and easy to fix. If only we could reach out through our screens and make them make the rright decisions!

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #1322 on: February 01, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »
Oh golly.... Anyone remember InDeepDooDoo?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1323 on: February 01, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »

Yes!

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #1324 on: February 01, 2017, 08:07:09 PM »
I sent a couple PM's.

LOL! Stop it!

It is obvious at this point that both Beatles are using these threads to gain attention and/or act as distractions for their messed up lives.

Through a few PM's exchanged with TheOtherBeatle, I offered this advice...
"Between the two threads, you've received as much advice as you possibly can regarding your financial issues.  I suggest you use whatever advice you do agree with, combine it with your own ideas, and TAKE ACTION.

I don't see any benefit from continuing to post about the same issues that have been discussed in great detail.  Come back in a month or two once you've sold the rental property, give us an update, and your plan for moving forward. "

Here response..."You're right.  Thanks."

Yet she comes right back, dragging out the thread by asking more unnecessary questions!!

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #1325 on: February 01, 2017, 08:20:12 PM »

Yes!
Oh baby... someone pliiiz compile Case Study Hall of Fail. . . for when we just crave some mustachian self-flagellation . . . or an excuse to get drunk silly

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1326 on: February 01, 2017, 10:39:24 PM »
MOD EDIT: We're done here.  Locking thread.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.