Author Topic: On Track for Military FIRE?  (Read 12099 times)

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
On Track for Military FIRE?
« on: June 20, 2019, 06:14:03 PM »
Thank you for taking time to weigh-in!

I am trying to shape my short and mid-term financial goals - a few moving pieces for 2019/2020 are detailed below. Please pick apart my current situation, goals etc apart - looking for great advice and discussion from the MMM collective!

Current Situation: Active Duty O4 with 11 years of service; mid-30’s

Annual Income for 2019: $87,000
Projected Annual Income for 2020: $90,000
(NOTE: I am deployed in a CZTE area so July 2018 – July 2020 pay is tax-exempt)
I am a resident of WA State (no state income tax) and have no dependents.

ASSETS
Cash: $15,000
Roth IRA: $92,500 (Vanguard)
Roth/Traditional TSP: $195,000 (currently contributing 22% of pay)
(NOTE: I opted into BRS in JAN 2018 so receive full matching into Traditional TSP of approx. $4,340 per year)
Investments: $20,000 (Vanguard Index Funds)
Savings Deposit Program (SDP): $10,000
https://militarypay.defense.gov/Benefits/Savings-Deposit-Program/
TOTAL: $332,500

LIABILITIES:
Mortgage: $322,000
Bought in JAN 2013 for $360,000 @ 3% VA home loan (currently a break-even rental in Oahu)
Current Zillow value: $579,000
TOTAL: $322,000

2019 Goals:
Max Roth TSP – on track
Max Roth IRA – DONE, did a lump sum in JAN19
Negotiate orders for 2020
Contribute $5K to my Vanguard Index Funds

2020 Goals:
BRS mid-career bonus decision, tax implications, obligated service etc
https://militarypay.defense.gov/Portals/3/Documents/BlendedRetirementDocuments/Fact%20Sheet-Continuation%20Pay.pdf
Max Roth TSP
Max Roth IRA (I plan to do a lump sum on 1 JAN 2020)
Contribute $10K to my Vanguard Index Funds

Long Term Decision: Remain Active Duty in the military for 20 years (retire in 2028)

No specific questions - looking for gut checks or recommendations for adjustments in saving/investing/planning.

If there is anything else I can add to enhance the feedback, please let me know - Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 05:14:33 PM by mgnhrvth »

M5

• Stubble
Re: On Track for Military FIRE?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 10:14:26 PM »
The short answer.. absolutely!!!

If you moved to a LCOL area after retirement then your pension alone would more than cover all expenses, even with a mortgage. In your case I don't think I would've opted into the BRS, but that's a moot point now. I have a buddy who retired a couple years ago as an O4 and pretty much survives with ease on his pension in LCOL area.

As far as adjustments, I think the goals you've got for the next few years are just fine. The only thing you might look into is swapping enough of your TSP contributions from Roth to traditional to get down into the 12% tax bracket - you can always do the Roth conversion ladder in the future if necessary. Just maxing TSP and Roth IRA plus pension will give you boatloads of money in retirement. For perspective I'm an AGR E-6 who opted into BRS and my measly pension plus TSP and Roth IRA would easily allow us to pull in $100k/yr in retirement and die with several million in the bank.

Congrats on your progress so far and keep it up!! I wish I only had 9 years left.. lol

JoSo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 02:51:56 PM »
You’re absolutely doing all the right things.  Just keep doing what you’re doing.  That money will double and triple in no time.  Good luck on making it to 20 years.  The time goes by fast.  I have a little over 3 to go.  Do you plan to retire to Hawaii?  If not, I’d consider selling the rental and being happy with the profit. 

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 03:01:07 PM »
Have you also looked into the military FIRE guys? There's Doug Nordman........and definitely some others.

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 12:29:54 AM »
In your case I don't think I would've opted into the BRS, but that's a moot point now. I have a buddy who retired a couple years ago as an O4 and pretty much survives with ease on his pension in LCOL area.

As far as adjustments, I think the goals you've got for the next few years are just fine. The only thing you might look into is swapping enough of your TSP contributions from Roth to traditional to get down into the 12% tax bracket - you can always do the Roth conversion ladder in the future if necessary. Just maxing TSP and Roth IRA plus pension will give you boatloads of money in retirement. For perspective I'm an AGR E-6 who opted into BRS and my measly pension plus TSP and Roth IRA would easily allow us to pull in $100k/yr in retirement and die with several million in the bank.

Great points - and thank you!

RE BRS - I think that opting in is/was a highly personal choice and certainly not right for everyone in the "opt-in" donut hole in 2018. I felt that it provided me flexibility (as well as an additional $40K of matching Traditional TSP funds over 10 years - with BRS, I receive matching into my Traditional TSP of approx. $4,340 per year x 10 years). In 2020 (my 12 year mark in the military), I will decide whether or not to take a mid-career bonus. 

Active duty service members/personnel may be eligible for a continuation pay multiplier of 2.5 to 13 times their monthly basic pay. For me that translates to 2.5 ($18,000) to 13 ($1,004,250) times my monthly basic pay (estimates base off of 2019 monthly basic pay). It's been challenging finding Officers in my community who have pursued this option/received the bonus in exchange for 4 additional years of obligated service. If I do take the mid-career bonus, my goal will be to complete 20 years of service.

Agree that I need to take a look adjusting my TSP contributions from Roth to Traditional to get down into the 12% tax bracket. I also have a lot of contributions in TSP flagged as CTZE contributions :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:32:58 AM by mgnhrvth »

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 12:30:34 AM »
The forum expert on US military retirement planning is Nords, so I'd ask for his input and use the search feature to check out some of his posts. Good luck!

@Nords

Nords is the mil guru!

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 12:39:44 AM »
You’re absolutely doing all the right things.  Just keep doing what you’re doing.  That money will double and triple in no time.  Good luck on making it to 20 years.  The time goes by fast.  I have a little over 3 to go.  Do you plan to retire to Hawaii?  If not, I’d consider selling the rental and being happy with the profit.

Thank you for the kind feedback! Appreciate hearing from professional colleagues in this forum. Plan is to stay the course - am taking a hard look at the next set of orders and beyond. I joined at 24 so goal is to retire at 44 and maximize my flexibility RE work post-military (pay, location, benefits etc). 

RE the Hawaii house - so far it has worked out well as a rental and increased in value. If I sell, I'd like to move back for 2 years to benefit from the federal principal residence capital gains exclusion. My understanding is that if you have lived in it for 2 of the 5 years prior to sale, a single filer has a $250,000 exclusion from capital gains on sale.

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 12:46:04 AM »
Have you also looked into the military FIRE guys? There's Doug Nordman........and definitely some others.

Yes! There are great networks (TSP groups, Federal Service groups, Military FIRE etc) to tap into. I think for a lot of military folks - the path to military FIRE is simple but not easy.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 01:19:13 AM »
The forum expert on US military retirement planning is Nords, so I'd ask for his input and use the search feature to check out some of his posts. Good luck!
@Nords
Nords is the mil guru!
Thanks for the tags, @Sun Hat and @A Fella from Stella, and I appreciate everyone's kind words!

Mgn, you may have seen a lot of this before in military Facebook groups and other forums.  I'm not trying to beat dead horses into the ground, but I want to give a complete commentary for other readers who might not have your background.

Current Situation: Active Duty O4 with 11 years of service; mid-30’s
2020 Goals:
BRS mid-career bonus decision, tax implications, obligated service etc
I don’t want to put any additional retention pressure on you here, especially not while you’re in a combat zone, but...
https://militarypay.defense.gov/Portals/3/Documents/Blended%20Retirement/Combined%20BRS%20Policy%20Document.pdf?ver=2018-09-19-094018-610

... if you decide to take the Continuation Pay contract, you have to sign it *before* you reach 12 years of service.  (Paragraph 8.b of that link.) 

As you know, you’d be getting at least 2.5 months of base pay at the O-4>10 scale.  You could wait until the exact 12-year day to sign the contract (with about 10 minutes as an O-4>12), but you’d be out of luck if anyone in the chain of command (or the finance office) sat on the paperwork.  However if you decide to stay on active duty for the additional years then it makes sense to see what the FY20 multiples might be for your community.  Watch for your service’s FY20 memo at this link:
https://militarypay.defense.gov/Portals/3/Documents/BlendedRetirementDocuments/2019-01-07.pdf?ver=2019-01-16-092802-143

In addition, if you sign that CP contract in the combat zone, then the entire CP payment is tax-free.  You could dump it all into the traditional TSP at once, or (if it makes sense) take it as four annual tax-free payments.  (Paragraph 8.e.) 

Even if you’re no longer in the combat zone for those subsequent payments, they’re still tax-free because you signed the contract in the combat zone.
https://militarypay.defense.gov/Pay/Tax-Information/CZTE/

(currently a break-even rental in Oahu)
RE the Hawaii house - so far it has worked out well as a rental and increased in value.
I see way too many servicemembers using qualitative real-estate phrases like this.

What’s your plan for this property, and what’s your exit strategy?

When people use terms like “break-even” or "worked out well", it’s hard to tell whether the property is worth keeping.  Phrases like "increased in value" overlook the opportunity cost of investing in other assets (like a total stock market index fund)... especially when the long-term appreciation of even Hawaii real estate rises with the rate of inflation.

My understanding is that if you have lived in it for 2 of the 5 years prior to sale, a single filer has a $250,000 exclusion from capital gains on sale.
If you know that you’ll return to Oahu (to live in it for at least a few more years) then it’s possibly worth keeping.  As you wrote, returning to make it a primary residence means that you’d eventually be able to sell and defer some of the capital gains.
https://www.katehorrell.com/capital-gains-rules-for-military-families/

But if “break-even” means “the rent equals the mortgage” then you’re losing money to property taxes, property management, maintenance, repairs, turnovers, vacancies... you get the idea. 

Even though you deduct depreciation on your income-tax return, you’re really getting hurt by the tax code because you have very little taxable income to deduct while you’re in a combat zone.  To add insult to injury, someday when you get rid the place (other than via probate) you’ll still have to pay depreciation recapture tax.
https://www.katehorrell.com/understanding-depreciation-recapture-taxes-on-rental-property/

If you use real-estate investor phrases like “1% thumbrule”, “50% thumbrule”, or “capitalization rate of 6.9%” then we know you’ve done your analysis. 

If you’re not already reading BiggerPockets then it’s worth your time to learn the vocabulary definitions and analyze the property’s return.  Very few properties on Oahu meet the 1% thumbrule, and way too many of them are higher than the 50% thumbrule (in a bad way).  If your cap rate is less than 6% then you’re losing out to the opportunity cost of investing your equity in the stock market or anything else with a long-term APY of at least 6%... like a good investment property in the southeast U.S.

2019 Goals:
Max Roth TSP – on track

2020 Goals:
Max Roth TSP
Agree that I need to take a look adjusting my TSP contributions from Roth to Traditional to get down into the 12% tax bracket. I also have a lot of contributions in TSP flagged as CTZE contributions :)
You might already know all about this, but for other readers I’ll mention that you could not only maximize your Roth TSP contributions to the elective deferral limit ($19K for 2019) but also maximize your traditional TSP contributions up to the combined TSP total annual addition limit ($56K for 2019). 

This gets horribly complicated with BRS agency/matching contributions being included in the AAL, as well as annual pay raises and your O-4>12 raise.  However if you’re trying to maximize your tax-deferred compounding (and your prospective Roth IRA conversions after leaving the military) then it’s worth digging into the spreadsheets behind these two posts:
https://the-military-guide.com/maximizing-your-thrift-savings-plan-contributions-in-a-combat-zone/
https://keepinvestingsimplestupid.com/2019/02/01/maximizing-tsp-contributions-for-the-entire-year-when-you-deploy-to-a-combat-zone/

The spreadsheet in the first post comes directly from a CPA on the TSP staff, and the spreadsheet in the second post is a much more detailed guide to planning your contributions.

Long Term Decision: Remain Active Duty in the military for 20 years (retire in 2028)
No specific questions - looking for gut checks or recommendations for adjustments in saving/investing/planning.
If I do take the mid-career bonus, my goal will be to complete 20 years of service.
Speaking of gut checks.

You might have read this before, and about half of the forum’s military readers are already nodding along with this, but I’ll write it again for the newer readers:
You have nearly nine years left to get to 20.  You know how much you and your priorities have changed in the last nine years, and the next nine years are highly likely to be at least as evolutionary.

Take it one service obligation at a time (even if you sign the CP contract).  Stay on active duty as long as you’re feeling challenged & fulfilled.  But when the fun stops, it’s time to consider leaving active duty for the Reserves or the National Guard. 

At least monthly, I get e-mails from senior enlisted and field-grade officers who've reached 14-17 years of active duty:  "I'm already FI without an active-duty pension.  The career was fun but now my assignment officer is playing payback hardball and my family is annoyed with the idea of moving again.  If I'm FI without the pension, then why am I staying on active duty?!?"

Don’t gut it out to 20, especially when you’re already on track for financial independence.  It’s possible that you’ll reach FI even without the military pension or Tricare, and you’ll certainly reach FI when you’re backstopped by the Reserve pension (and Tricare). 

Staying on active duty just for the active-duty pension will probably overshoot the FI goal line by hundreds of thousands of dollars.  After 17 years of active-duty retirement I can affirm that my overshoot has grown to over a million dollars.
https://the-military-guide.com/dont-gut-20-leave-active-duty-reserves-national-guard/

If there is anything else I can add to enhance the feedback, please let me know - Thank you so much!
I realize you’re listing the details in a format, but what are your total expenses?  That number will help other readers look at the gap between where you are and what you’d need for the 4% SWR.

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »
I don’t want to put any additional retention pressure on you here, especially not while you’re in a combat zone, but... if you decide to take the Continuation Pay contract, you have to sign it *before* you reach 12 years of service.

As you know, you’d be getting at least 2.5 months of base pay at the O-4>10 scale.  You could wait until the exact 12-year day to sign the contract (with about 10 minutes as an O-4>12), but you’d be out of luck if anyone in the chain of command (or the finance office) sat on the paperwork.  However if you decide to stay on active duty for the additional years then it makes sense to see what the FY20 multiples might be for your community.  Watch for your service’s FY20 memo at this link:
https://militarypay.defense.gov/Portals/3/Documents/BlendedRetirementDocuments/2019-01-07.pdf?ver=2019-01-16-092802-143

In addition, if you sign that CP contract in the combat zone, then the entire CP payment is tax-free.  You could dump it all into the traditional TSP at once, or (if it makes sense) take it as four annual tax-free payments.  (Paragraph 8.e.) 

Even if you’re no longer in the combat zone for those subsequent payments, they’re still tax-free because you signed the contract in the combat zone.
https://militarypay.defense.gov/Pay/Tax-Information/CZTE/ 

Thank you Nords! I'm going to break out each subject/issue in a separate response. RE the CP contract:

Tracking and will keep an eye out for the FY20 continuation pay rates (multipliers) in October 2019.

For example purposes, based on the FY19 continuation pay rates (multipliers) for the Navy AC @ 2.5% - I'd receive approx. $18,000 (in a CTZE setting). I think the best option for me would be the lump sum ("A member who qualifies for continuation pay may elect to receive the payment in a single lump sum or elect a series of equal installment payments, not to exceed four annual payments over 4 consecutive years.”) And for now, would plan to dump it into my Vanguard Index fund account or Traditional TSP. 

My real question is the actual execution of requesting (?) the continuation pay - about 6 months ago, I reached out my Detailer (no response). Reached out again today to the Detailer and my command Career Counselor. I just need education on the process (forms, timelines, etc) and a better understanding on how the continuation pay... is paid. I'm assuming it'd be listed in the "Bonus Pay" section of the LES.... If I do elect to receive the continuation pay bonus, I'll post a play-by-play to help out other military folks (forms, timelines, payment etc).

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 11:38:12 AM »
You might already know all about this, but for other readers I’ll mention that you could not only maximize your Roth TSP contributions to the elective deferral limit ($19K for 2019) but also maximize your traditional TSP contributions up to the combined TSP total annual addition limit ($56K for 2019). 

This gets horribly complicated with BRS agency/matching contributions being included in the AAL, as well as annual pay raises and your O-4>12 raise.  However if you’re trying to maximize your tax-deferred compounding (and your prospective Roth IRA conversions after leaving the military) then it’s worth digging into the spreadsheets behind these two posts:
https://the-military-guide.com/maximizing-your-thrift-savings-plan-contributions-in-a-combat-zone/
https://keepinvestingsimplestupid.com/2019/02/01/maximizing-tsp-contributions-for-the-entire-year-when-you-deploy-to-a-combat-zone/

The spreadsheet in the first post comes directly from a CPA on the TSP staff, and the spreadsheet in the second post is a much more detailed guide to planning your contributions.

Am aware of the combined TSP total CZTE limit ($56K for 2019). I did not do that in 2018 (last 6 months of the year in CZTE) nor have I pursued that in 2019 (entire year will be CTZE pay). I may attempt to aim for hitting the combined TSP total in 2020 (first six months CZTE pay) if I elect the CP contract bonus and deposit it into TSP. Frankly, from what I've read about other people experiences, it seems like the process to max a combined TSP total in a CZTE is clunky from an admin/DFAS perspective as well.... I'll definitely post an update on this topic!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 12:53:41 PM by mgnhrvth »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 07:08:02 PM »
Tracking and will keep an eye out for the FY20 continuation pay rates (multipliers) in October 2019.
Hunh.  I was searching around and it's just been released:
https://www.mnp.navy.mil/group/pay-and-benefits

I no longer have a CAC (well, all right, I've *never* had a CAC) so I can't read the actual memo. 

If you come across a PDF or a public page then I'd appreciate a copy of the multiples.

I think the best option for me would be the lump sum ("A member who qualifies for continuation pay may elect to receive the payment in a single lump sum or elect a series of equal installment payments, not to exceed four annual payments over 4 consecutive years.”) And for now, would plan to dump it into my Vanguard Index fund account or Traditional TSP. 
I agree.

Hypothetically the best place would be the traditional TSP, especially if you plan to do a Roth IRA conversion after the military.  However the expense ratio of VTSAX is very close to the TSP and it's pretty tax-efficient.  If you run into TSP contribution obstacles then you'd get much the same financial results by putting it into your (taxable) Vanguard account.

My real question is the actual execution of requesting (?) the continuation pay - about 6 months ago, I reached out my Detailer (no response). Reached out again today to the Detailer and my command Career Counselor. I just need education on the process (forms, timelines, etc) and a better understanding on how the continuation pay... is paid. I'm assuming it'd be listed in the "Bonus Pay" section of the LES.... If I do elect to receive the continuation pay bonus, I'll post a play-by-play to help out other military folks (forms, timelines, payment etc).
Apparently you're supposed to use NSIPS or your CCC.
https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=109966

I may attempt to aim for hitting the combined TSP total in 2020 (first six months CZTE pay) if I elect the CP contract bonus and deposit it into TSP. Frankly, from what I've read about other people experiences, it seems like the process to max a combined TSP total in a CZTE is clunky as well from an admin/DFAS perspective as well.... I'll definitely post an update on this topic!
"Clunky" is a very tactful word.

The whole annual addition contributions rulebook is poorly communicated and hard to understand.  (It took me three tries with the TSP and another discussion with a second CFP to parse their language.)  The BRS agency/matching contributions are an unintended side effect of screwing up the annual addition contributions even further.

The TSP staff is painfully aware of how badly their training materials suck, and they're working on it, but I'm not holding my breath.

By the way that first link (maximizing your TSP contributions in a combat zone) also includes the IRS form to let them know your deployment dates.  When OPSEC is no longer a concern, then let the IRS know your deployment dates (along with any documentation) and tell them separately for each tax year.  Otherwise you'll be getting IRS query letters until 2024.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:13:36 PM by Nords »

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 08:29:46 AM »
Good timing!

Blended Retirement System Calendar Year 2020 Continuation Pay Rates Announced

CY20 continuation pay rates attached (for USN) as well as the MILPERSMAN reference. Looks like rates remained static from CY19 to CY20 (for Navy folks).

Active duty service members/personnel may be eligible for a continuation pay multiplier of 2.5 times their monthly basic pay. For me - 2.5 times my monthly basic pay ($7,250 based off of 2019 monthly basic pay) equals approximately $18,000. Assuming a base pay increase in CY20 - the CP might inch up towards $18,750....
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 05:52:00 PM by mgnhrvth »

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »
You might have read this before, and about half of the forum’s military readers are already nodding along with this, but I’ll write it again for the newer readers:
You have nearly nine years left to get to 20.  You know how much you and your priorities have changed in the last nine years, and the next nine years are highly likely to be at least as evolutionary.

Take it one service obligation at a time (even if you sign the CP contract).  Stay on active duty as long as you’re feeling challenged & fulfilled.  But when the fun stops, it’s time to consider leaving active duty for the Reserves or the National Guard. 

At least monthly, I get e-mails from senior enlisted and field-grade officers who've reached 14-17 years of active duty:  "I'm already FI without an active-duty pension.  The career was fun but now my assignment officer is playing payback hardball and my family is annoyed with the idea of moving again.  If I'm FI without the pension, then why am I staying on active duty?!?"

Don’t gut it out to 20, especially when you’re already on track for financial independence.  It’s possible that you’ll reach FI even without the military pension or Tricare, and you’ll certainly reach FI when you’re backstopped by the Reserve pension (and Tricare). 

Staying on active duty just for the active-duty pension will probably overshoot the FI goal line by hundreds of thousands of dollars.  After 17 years of active-duty retirement I can affirm that my overshoot has grown to over a million dollars.
https://the-military-guide.com/dont-gut-20-leave-active-duty-reserves-national-guard/

I think this is a healthy lens to approach the (possible) remaining service time (9 years to 20) and how the last 9 years can differ in experience from the first 11 years. I have always tried to consider the merits of each assignment (challenge, scope, impact) individually. I think a key (for me) has been prioritization of my health (fitness, sleep, nutrition), interesting work assignments, and work/life balance (taking leave, pursuing personal goals that give me an identify outside of the military). And frankly, being as proactive as I can in establishing a financial foundation that affords me choice.

My homework for the weekend:

1. Explore the articles/resourses at BiggerPockets and attempt to analyze the Hawaii property’s return

2. Create a detailed list of expenses (I'm assuming the most beneficial would be to list expenses anticipated in retirement/post-20 year military?)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 04:45:29 PM by mgnhrvth »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 10:28:25 AM »
Good timing!

Blended Retirement System Calendar Year 2020 Continuation Pay Rates Announced

CY20 continuation pay rates attached (for USN) as well as the MILPERSMAN reference. Looks like rates remained static from CY19 to CY20 (for Navy folks).

Active duty service members/personnel may be eligible for a continuation pay multiplier of 2.5 times their monthly basic pay. For me - 2.5 times my monthly basic pay ($7,250) (based off of 2019 monthly basic pay) equals approximately $18,000. Assuming a base pay increase in CY20 - the CP might inch up towards $18,750....

Thanks for posting these!  That’s saved us bloggers (without CACs) a lot of time.

You’re right, it’s tough to plan your TSP annual addition limit contributions when your CP bonus and other pay numbers are also moving around.

And yeah, the detailers don’t seem to be doing much with those CP multiples.  I thought that by now they’d be treated just like re-enlistment multiples.  I wonder whether the Air Force will try to use them for their (self-imposed) pilot shortage.

That’s an interesting difference between the MILPERSMAN and the CNO memo.  The words of the federal law are much looser than the other two references, but the services are free to set their own requirements within the federal law. 

MILPERSMAN gives the impression that the four years runs between 12-16 years of service. 
“7. Obligated Service. A member who accepts CP will enter into an agreement with the Navy to serve 4 years of additional service in their respective component, commencing on the 12th anniversary of the member’s PEBD.”

Then there’s the CNO:
“A Service Member who accepts CP and enters into an agreement will serve 4 years of additional service, commencing on acceptance by the Navy.”

If someone signs up at 11 years of service (O-4>10 pay scale), does this mean that their obligation could start at the 11-year-point and end at 15?  This is within federal law.

Or does the Navy “accept” the contract at the 12th anniversary?  And if that’s the logic, then should the CP bonus be paid as O-4>12?

2. Create a detailed list of expenses (I'm assuming the most beneficial would be to list expenses anticipated in retirement/post-20 year military?)

I’d project today’s annual expenses in today’s dollars, and then try to decide which ones will change when you begin terminal leave.  (That way you’ve done the math for whenever you get out, not just for 20.)  You won’t be paying for uniforms, gas for commuting, buying lunch at work, or command functions anymore.  However you might ramp up your travel & entertainment or do more of an expensive hobby like golf.

The reality is that when you’re out of the military you might start cooking more (reducing your food expenses), exercising more (reducing medical expenses), and even haggling with your insurers for retiree discounts.  You’ll stalk travel bargains (and travel-hack airfares & lodging), you’ll stay longer in AirBnBs instead of resorts (lower monthly prices), and you’ll travel off-season.  The result is that (a year or two after leaving the military) you’ll optimize your expenses on the activities you really care about.  Very few vets actually raise their non-discretionary spending, it’s usually a lump sum for a one-time purchase, and it’s rarely permanent.

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 11:48:27 PM »
I am still working on the house cost/benefit analysis and the projected annual expenses.

In the meantime, this week I received the automated email below detailing the CP program and info:

Continuation Pay Eligibility

This email is to inform you that you have been identified as eligible to receive Continuation Pay. 
The Navy Standard Integrated Personnel System (NSIPS) indicates that you are enrolled in the Blended Retirement System (BRS) and are eligible for Continuation Pay (CP). Under BRS you may be eligible for CP at 12 Years of Service (YOS) based on your PEBD.  CP is a one-time, mid-career incentive payment in exchange for an agreement to perform four years of additional obligated service.  This one-time payment is in addition to any other career field-specific incentives or retention bonuses.
Important elements in determining whether you are entitled to CP are:
    a. Your eligibility to remain in the service at the time of payment.
    b. Your agreement to serve an additional four years of obligated service.
    c. If you are a reservist, your status as a member in a paid status upon completion of 12 YOS and your recommendation for retention in the Selected Reserve.
There are three CP payment options to choose from:
    a. A single lump sum payment
    b. Two annual payments (50%, 50%)
    c. Four annual payments (25%, 25%, 25%, 25%)
CP is subject to federal and state tax.
The election to receive CP must be made in NSIPS BRS (Continuation Pay tab) and before you complete 12 YOS (based on your PEBD).  Your command is standing by to assist you with your CP election.  Please make an appointment with your CCC or CFC as soon as you are ready to begin the CP election process.
If you elect to receive CP in addition to any other bonus, incentive, or special pay; your agreement to remain on active duty for four additional years may run consecutive or concurrent depending on the structure of the other contract, extension, or obligation you may have incurred.  If you do not complete four additional years of obligated service after receiving the CP, any unearned portion of the CP will be subject to recoupment by the U.S. government.
Your CP election is considered to be effective and irrevocable on the 12th anniversary of your active or reserve duty based on your PEBD.
To learn more about CP, the DOD has an informative website that discusses BRS and more specifically CP. The site includes an interactive retirement calculator to help you decide whether to elect CP and commit to four more years in the Navy.  You are encouraged to explore the web site at:  http://militarypay.defense.gov/BlendedRetirement/ and discuss your alternatives with your family.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 05:22:09 AM »
mgnhrvth,

You are in great hands with Nords and you look to be doing all the right things.

I didn't see any discussion of VA disability.  You are a good ways off from retirement and the VA process, but I will tell you from experience to document early and often any medical issues.  Do a scrub of you records (your medical facility will provide you a digital copy of your record on CD) and meet with a VSO (Veteran Service Officer) from American Legion, Disabled Vets of America, VFW etc to have them help you go over your record and fill out the paperwork.  It can be a lot of work, but I ended up with a much higher rating than I expected which means concurrent receipt (greater than 50% disability) of tax free disability compensation on top of my pension.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 07:39:01 AM »
In the meantime, this week I received the automated email below detailing the CP program and info:

Continuation Pay Eligibility

This email is to inform you that you have been identified as eligible to receive Continuation Pay. 
Thanks-- I appreciate having the text to work with.

It can be a lot of work, but I ended up with a much higher rating than I expected which means concurrent receipt (greater than 50% disability) of tax free disability compensation on top of my pension.
I can't believe it's already been a year since your retirement! 

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 11:11:08 AM »
It can be a lot of work, but I ended up with a much higher rating than I expected which means concurrent receipt (greater than 50% disability) of tax free disability compensation on top of my pension.
I can't believe it's already been a year since your retirement!
Me either!  It's gone fast!

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 07:38:28 AM »
Not a full update but a proud moment - just crossed the $200K TSP threshold!

As of today (9 July, 2019) - combined Roth/Traditional TSP balance is $200,004.94!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 12:07:46 PM by mgnhrvth »

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 10:59:28 AM »

As of today (9 Jul, 2019) - combined Roth/Traditional TSP balance is $200,004.94!

That's awesome, congrats!!

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »

As of today (9 Jul, 2019) - combined Roth/Traditional TSP balance is $200,004.94!

Cheers!  Nice moment to have!
What was for timeframe to get to $100k?  And then after reaching $100k, how long until you reached $200k. I’d assume the $300k will come quicker than you anticipate

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 08:13:28 PM »

Thank you for the kind feedback! Appreciate hearing from professional colleagues in this forum. Plan is to stay the course - am taking a hard look at the next set of orders and beyond. I joined at 24 so goal is to retire at 44 and maximize my flexibility RE work post-military (pay, location, benefits etc). 

RE the Hawaii house - so far it has worked out well as a rental and increased in value. If I sell, I'd like to move back for 2 years to benefit from the federal principal residence capital gains exclusion. My understanding is that if you have lived in it for 2 of the 5 years prior to sale, a single filer has a $250,000 exclusion from capital gains on sale.

There's a military exemption to this. I believe it adds 10 years to the "of the last 5", effectively making it "2 of 15".  Definitely confirm that, but I know you get extra time.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 08:23:37 PM »

There's a military exemption to this. I believe it adds 10 years to the "of the last 5", effectively making it "2 of 15".  Definitely confirm that, but I know you get extra time.
Here's three more posts from military landlord bloggers:
https://www.katehorrell.com/capital-gains-rules-for-military-families/

https://www.katehorrell.com/three-tax-considerations-when-selling-your-rental-property-in-the-military/

https://richonmoney.com/capital-gains-military/

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 08:25:08 AM »
Minor updates to amounts and way forward for 2020 - changes indicated with italics.

Annual Income for 2019: $87,000
Projected Annual Income for 2020: $90,000

ASSETS
Cash: $10,000
Roth IRA: $92,500 (Vanguard)
Roth/Traditional TSP: $200,000 (currently contributing 22% of pay)
(NOTE: I opted into BRS in JAN 2018 so receive full matching into Traditional TSP of approx. $4,340 per year)
Investments: $25,000 (Vanguard Index Funds) - deposited $5K in AUG19 from cash reserves
Savings Deposit Program (SDP): $10,500+
https://militarypay.defense.gov/Benefits/Savings-Deposit-Program/
TOTAL: $338,000

LIABILITIES
Mortgage: $320,000
Bought in JAN 2013 for $360,000 @ 3% VA home loan (currently a break-even rental in Oahu)
Current Zillow value: $579,000
TOTAL: $320,000

2019 Goals:
Max Roth TSP - on track (+ full BRS matching into Traditional TSP)
Max Roth IRA - DONE, did a lump sum in JAN19
Negotiate orders for 2020 - verbal agreement for Europe 2020
Contribute $5K to my Vanguard Index Funds - DONE (AUG19)

2020 Goals:
BRS mid-career bonus decision, tax implications, obligated service etc - I plan to elect to receive the BRS Continuation pay in JAN/FEB20 after receiving a copy of hard orders; will still be in a CZTE and allows approx. 6 months to process prior to the 12-year mark.
Max Roth TSP (+ full BRS matching into Traditional TSP)
Max Roth IRA (Plan to do a lump sum on 1JAN20)
Contribute $10K to my Vanguard Index Funds

Other major factor I will update later - the plan for the property in Hawaii. Will update shortly - thank you all again!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 11:40:55 AM »
BRS mid-career bonus decision, tax implications, obligated service etc - I plan to elect to receive the BRS Continuation pay in JAN/FEB20 after receiving a copy of hard orders; will still be in a CZTE and allows approx. 6 months to process prior to the 12-year mark.
“Well played!”

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2019, 05:13:00 PM »

What was for timeframe to get to $100k?  And then after reaching $100k, how long until you reached $200k. I’d assume the $300k will come quicker than you anticipate

Great question - I actually had to call the TSP hotline to verify the first couple of dates:

$0 - $100K: So the date of my first TSP deposit was Feb 2009 - I hit $100K in July 2016. Time from $0 - $100K was approx. 7.5 years. I was contributing to my TSP consistently but not maxing out until mid-2014(ish).

$100K - $200K: From $100K (July 2016) to $200K (July 2019) - it was 3 years on the nose. So $200K at a little over 10 years of Federal Service. I maxed out my TSP contributions (Roth) each of these years and, beginning in JAN 2018, received the 5% DOD/agency matching funds as well (into Traditional TSP).

$0 - $100K: 7.5 years
$100K - $200K: 3 years
$200K - $300K: 1.5 years?? :)

Interestingly, when I was on the line with the TSP folks, I asked if my account balance was below, at or above what they typically see for my age group (based their experience manning the phone lines, answering participant questions and providing TSP guidance). Her answer - "Way, way ahead for your age group." That was good to hear - I wonder if there is a breakdown of all TSP balances by age/age group and gender....

I was also able to confirm my current tax exempt contribution balance: $16,000. These are monies I have contributed while on deployments/in CZTE.

Thank you for asking the question!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:18:50 PM by mgnhrvth »

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »

Congrats on your progress so far and keep it up!! I wish I only had 9 years left.. lol

Thank you for the note! I will be reassessing the TSP contributions (Roth vice Traditional) in 2021. The first half of 2020, I will still be a in CZTE so won't bump up against any tax bracket issues in 2019 or 2020.

Can I ask why you opted into BRS? I can share my reasoning here if value-added. I'm always curious about how the other BRS "opt-inners" arrived at their decision :)

The years go by fast! Nords hit the nail on the head - take it assignment by assignment and get out when it stops being fun. I am very fortunate that my skillset allows me a wide variety of assignments (and duty locations) and translates directly to the civilian sector.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:06:50 PM by mgnhrvth »

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 06:41:28 PM »
I didn't see any discussion of VA disability.  You are a good ways off from retirement and the VA process, but I will tell you from experience to document early and often any medical issues.  Do a scrub of you records (your medical facility will provide you a digital copy of your record on CD) and meet with a VSO (Veteran Service Officer) from American Legion, Disabled Vets of America, VFW etc to have them help you go over your record and fill out the paperwork.  It can be a lot of work, but I ended up with a much higher rating than I expected which means concurrent receipt (greater than 50% disability) of tax free disability compensation on top of my pension.

Good catch - I took the TAPS course about 3 months ago (for those separating, not retiring) and, as part of the class, we did a medical record review to help identify potential conditions that we could receive a VA rating for (conditions incurred/aggravated by military service).  If/when I hit 20 years, I will definitely submit the paperwork for a VA claim/rating prior to separation/retirement.

I had a previous assignment working with Wounded Warriors so appreciate the role and function (health-wise and financially) of a fully fleshed out VA claim/rating in addition to a 20 year military retirement. I have heard so many 20+ year military folks say "I have TRICARE For Life - I don't need a VA rating." And this is usually the same group of folks who scramble 5-10 years after separation/retirement to cobble together a VA claim as a Veteran...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:50:04 AM by mgnhrvth »

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2019, 02:41:10 PM »

Thank you for the note! I will be reassessing the TSP contributions (Roth vice Traditional) in 2021. The first half of 2020, I will still be a in CZTE so won't bump up against any tax bracket issues in 2019 or 2020.

Can I ask why you opted into BRS? I can share my reasoning here if value-added. I'm always curious about how the other BRS "opt-inners" arrived at their decision :)

The years go by fast! Nords hit the nail on the head - take it assignment by assignment and get out when it stops being fun. I am very fortunate that my skillset allows me a wide variety of assignments (and duty locations) and translates directly to the civilian sector.

I have 7 years TIS, but only about 2.5 TAFMS. Having that 5% match for the next 17.5 years more than made up for the 10% reduction in my pension by opting into the BRS. That is what I based my decision on solely. Plus if I do decide to leave the military at least I'll end up with something extra.

DoNorth

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 06:10:08 PM »
Tax consideration:  You bought the house in 2013.  Have you lived in it for at least two of the last five years?  If your zillow estimate is even close to what you could profit on a sale, you might want to consider selling.  The longer it stays a "break even" rental, the less opportunity you have to shelter the profit from capital gains.  Also, depreciation recapture (if you do sell further down the road) can really eat into any year over year gains you might see.  So, you might have a situation where you want to sell, but would have to pay capital gains and depreciation recapture in one year when your military income was at its peak. 

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »
Tax consideration:  You bought the house in 2013.  Have you lived in it for at least two of the last five years?  If your zillow estimate is even close to what you could profit on a sale, you might want to consider selling.  The longer it stays a "break even" rental, the less opportunity you have to shelter the profit from capital gains.  Also, depreciation recapture (if you do sell further down the road) can really eat into any year over year gains you might see.  So, you might have a situation where you want to sell, but would have to pay capital gains and depreciation recapture in one year when your military income was at its peak.

For active duty military the exemption is extended to any 2 of the last 10 years.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »

For active duty military the exemption is extended to any 2 of the last 10 years.

Even better than that.  It's 2 of 15, with a few limitations. (The military exemption adds ten years to the typical 5 year term.)  https://www.military.com/paycheck-chronicles/2017/03/07/military-capital-gains-extension-may-extend-retirement

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2019, 07:04:17 PM »

Great question - I actually had to call the TSP hotline to verify the first couple of dates:

$0 - $100K: So the date of my first TSP deposit was Feb 2009 - I hit $100K in July 2016. Time from $0 - $100K was approx. 7.5 years. I was contributing to my TSP consistently but not maxing out until mid-2014(ish).

$100K - $200K: From $100K (July 2016) to $200K (July 2019) - it was 3 years on the nose. So $200K at a little over 10 years of Federal Service. I maxed out my TSP contributions (Roth) each of these years and, beginning in JAN 2018, received the 5% DOD/agency matching funds as well (into Traditional TSP).

$0 - $100K: 7.5 years
$100K - $200K: 3 years
$200K - $300K: 1.5 years?? :)

Interestingly, when I was on the line with the TSP folks, I asked if my account balance was below, at or above what they typically see for my age group (based their experience manning the phone lines, answering participant questions and providing TSP guidance). Her answer - "Way, way ahead for your age group." That was good to hear - I wonder if there is a breakdown of all TSP balances by age/age group and gender....

I was also able to confirm my current tax exempt contribution balance: $16,000. These are monies I have contributed while on deployments/in CZTE.

Thank you for asking the question!

Thank you for the follow up.  It’s been my most recent research to see timeframes to major milestones like $100k/$200k. Likely, you’ll hit that $300k mark in 2.5-3 years if you are maxing TSP and if the market doesn’t crash!  Thanks again!

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »

Good catch - I took the TAPS course about 3 months ago (for those separating, not retiring) and, as part of the class, we did a medical record review to help identify potential conditions that we could receive a VA rating for (conditions incurred/aggravated by military service).  If/when I hit 20 years, I will definitely submit the paperwork for a VA claim/rating prior to separation/retirement.

I had a previous assignment working with Wounded Warriors so appreciate the role and function (health-wise and financially) of a fully fleshed out VA claim/rating in addition to a 20 year military retirement. I have heard so many 20+ year military folks say "I have TRICARE For Life - I don't need a VA rating." And this is usually the same group of folks who scramble 5-10 years after separation/retirement to cobble together a VA claim as a Veteran...
you are really barking up a tree I’ve been planting for years. I honestly don’t understand why peeps wait until AFTEr service to start filing for VA compensation. 

One great thing I like about National Guard AGR processes: when you walk out the door and are ready to retire: you know your compensation rate immediately. It’s part of the entire retirement process.

For some reason, Active Duty seems behind in this aspect.  And that’s a shame.

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2019, 03:03:39 AM »
Thank you for all of the kind replies - a few minor notes: 

I will be meeting with a realtor in Hawaii in January to explore selling my townhouse in mid-2020; this is the same husband-wife realtor team I worked with to buy my townhouse, hope to work with them again! Thank you to all of the folks who have highlighted the military exemption RE capital gains - I was not familiar with that exemption. Knowledge really is power (and money?). This is my first time selling a property so I plan to learn everything I can about that in the next year/prior to selling. I purchased the townhouse using my VA Home Loan - I need to learn more about that piece as well.

RE tax/income planning - 2020 will bring about a few changes: 12-year mark in Federal service (small pay bump), move from CTZE area to 'regular' overseas assignment, receipt of BRS continuation pay (est $20K tax-free), projected sale of townhouse in HI (est $250K profit), look at changing my TSP contribution from Roth to Traditional. I typically do my own taxes but may need to enlist professional help for 2020....

One data set I have not listed in this case study is a summary of my monthly expenses. The primary reason I have not listed a summary of my monthly expenses is that I consider the last year (July 18 - July 19) and the next year (July 19 - July 20) anomalies because of the extra pays/tax-free status I receive while in a CZTE area. Regardless, I will work on that this week and post a summary for dissection.

Thank you again!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2019, 12:07:54 AM »
I opted into the BRS because of two reasons. First off, the numbers worked out better. Second, I'd rather have a pile of investments than a slightly larger pension. I've got 16 TIS in the Guard but 15 good years. Mid 30s so that 5% match has decades to grow which more than makes up for dropping my pension multiplier from 2.5 to 2.0. Guard doesn't start collecting a pension until 60 so BRS makes a lot more sense.

I'm going to be deploying soon so I'm looking forward to putting tax free money into my Roth TSP.

I'm pushing all my Soldiers to enroll in the TSP now. Even if they just start out at 1% that's something. If I can get them to take advantage of the Roth TSP instead of blowing it on a new truck when they get back I'll consider that a great success.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2019, 12:33:49 PM »
I'm going to be deploying soon so I'm looking forward to putting tax free money into my Roth TSP.
The BRS matching has really screwed up the combat-zone contributions to the TSP.  It’s way too easy to inadvertently trigger a limit, get shut out of more TSP contributions for the rest of the year, and lose out on months of matching.

You may have seen these posts before, and I’ve already linked them upthread.  These two different spreadsheets will help you design a contribution plan that helps you get all of your DoD BRS matching contributions while still maximizing your combat-zone contributions:

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2019, 09:54:16 AM »
Thanks for posting these!  That’s saved us bloggers (without CACs) a lot of time.

You’re right, it’s tough to plan your TSP annual addition limit contributions when your CP bonus and other pay numbers are also moving around.

And yeah, the detailers don’t seem to be doing much with those CP multiples.  I thought that by now they’d be treated just like re-enlistment multiples.  I wonder whether the Air Force will try to use them for their (self-imposed) pilot shortage.

That’s an interesting difference between the MILPERSMAN and the CNO memo.  The words of the federal law are much looser than the other two references, but the services are free to set their own requirements within the federal law. 

MILPERSMAN gives the impression that the four years runs between 12-16 years of service. 
“7. Obligated Service. A member who accepts CP will enter into an agreement with the Navy to serve 4 years of additional service in their respective component, commencing on the 12th anniversary of the member’s PEBD.”

Then there’s the CNO:
“A Service Member who accepts CP and enters into an agreement will serve 4 years of additional service, commencing on acceptance by the Navy.”

If someone signs up at 11 years of service (O-4>10 pay scale), does this mean that their obligation could start at the 11-year-point and end at 15?  This is within federal law.

Or does the Navy “accept” the contract at the 12th anniversary?  And if that’s the logic, then should the CP bonus be paid as O-4>12?

Nords - one minor update to this question: it appears the 4-year obligation is from the date of eligibility.

The BRS Continuation Pay option from NSIPS states - "Yes, I elect Continuation Pay and agree to serve for an additional four years of obligated service from my date of eligibility."

In the NISPS portal, I am eligible to elect Continuation Pay 11 years and 6 months after PEBD. My interpretation: the date of eligibility for Continuation Pay is at the 11.6 year mark so the additional  four years of obligated service would be the 11.6-15.6 years of service (vice 12-16 years of service).

Of note, per MILPERSMAN 1810-081 - "The pay used to calculate the CP will be the "over 12 years of service" monthly basic pay." - so good news there as 12+ years of service Basic Pay is more than 11.6 years of service Basic Pay....

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »

Nords - one minor update to this question: it appears the 4-year obligation is from the date of eligibility.

The BRS Continuation Pay option from NSIPS states - "Yes, I elect Continuation Pay and agree to serve for an additional four years of obligated service from my date of eligibility."

In the NISPS portal, I am eligible to elect Continuation Pay 11 years and 6 months after PEBD. My interpretation: the date of eligibility for Continuation Pay is at the 11.6 year mark so the additional  four years of obligated service would be the 11.6-15.6 years of service (vice 12-16 years of service).

Of note, per MILPERSMAN 1810-081 - "The pay used to calculate the CP will be the "over 12 years of service" monthly basic pay." - so good news there as 12+ years of service Basic Pay is more than 11.6 years of service Basic Pay....
Thanks!  That's great to read-- especially the >12 YOS pay for the contract.  I could see that becoming contentious.

I think that each service will continue implementing their own policies (within federal law and the DoD instructions) and they'll all be different for their retention goals.  It'll be interesting to see the policies of the other services...

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2019, 03:49:19 AM »
Two updates:

1. During the first week of January 2020, I will do a 2019 financial wrap-up and post 2020 projections/goals.

2. Received an email invitation to participate in a BRS survey (below); looks to be a Navy-specific survey.

Subject: BRS Opt-In Survey

The Navy needs your input to understand sailors’ thoughts about the value of the new Blended Retirement System (BRS). We invite you to take the BRS Opt-In Survey by clicking the link below. Your responses will help the Navy design better compensation policies and provide sailors with better information when new policies are introduced.

This survey will not collect any personally identifiable information. All of your responses will be strictly confidential and will not be in any way connected to you specifically. It should take no more than 10 minutes to complete the survey.

Participation in this survey is important and will provide useful information that can help improve Navy’s compensation policies going forward. Please note that participation is voluntary. However, we hope you will take the time to complete the survey and share your thoughts.

The questions from the survey are below; if there were multiple options, I copy/pasted those answer options below. 

RESEARCH SUBJECT INFORMATION AND CONSENT FORM

TITLE:                   BRS Opt-In Survey
PROTOCOL NO.:     D749  WIRB® Protocol #20192134

Were you eligible to opt in to the Blended Retirement System (BRS)? (If you were automatically enrolled in BRS, please select “No”.

What is your gender?

Are you married?

Do you have children?

What is the highest level of education you have completed?

What is your current paygrade?

How many years of service have you completed as an active duty Navy service member?

To which officer community do you belong?

Did you opt in to the Blended Retirement System (BRS)?

Why did you choose to opt in to the BRS? (Select up to two options that represent the most important factor(s) in your decision.)
I want the option to take a lump-sum payment at retirement.
I’m not sure.
I used a BRS Calculator and/or did my own research and found that BRS is financially better for me.
I want to be eligible for continuation pay.
I want the ability to take service contributions to my Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) with me if I leave the Navy before reaching retirement.
I got advice from friends/family/fellow service members/a financial advisor/etc.
I want to invest part of my retirement funds in the stock market.

Did you receive financial literacy training on the BRS?
Yes, and it helped me to make my decision.
Yes, but it was not helpful in making my decision.
Yes, but it did not change the decision I had already made.
No / I don’t remember.

Was your BRS financial literacy training online or in person?
In person
Both
Unsure

Did you use the BRS Comparison Calculator (available through militarypay.defense.gov) or the Navy Financial Literacy app to help make your decision?
Yes, I used the BRS Comparison Calculator.
Yes, I used the Navy Financial Literacy app.
Yes, I used both.
No, I did not know about these tools.
No, I knew about the tools but did not use them.
No, but I used a different tool or calculator.
I don't remember.

Have you received other financial literacy training or formal financial advice in the previous two years?
Yes, using a Navy-provided resource.
Yes, using a non-Navy resource.
Yes, using both a Navy and non-Navy resources.
No.
I don't remember.

Did you experience any problems with the BRS opt-in process? If so, please describe in 1-2 sentences. (Recall that this survey is anonymous, and your responses are not linked to any personally identifying information. You will not be personally contacted to discuss or resolve any problems you identify here.)

How much are you contributing to the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)? (Include only your individual contributions; do not include any service matching.)

Other than the Navy retirement system, are you (and your family) regularly saving money for any of these goals?
Home
Education (yours or others')
Retirement (outside of the TSP)
Other (e.g. car/motorcycle, vacation, television, or a general savings target)
No goal, but I regularly save when I have extra money
I don’t regularly save money each month

About how much do you save each month?
Less than $500
$500 – $1,000
$1,000 – $2,000
$2,000 or more

Do you currently have any of the following types of debt?
Student loans (yours or a family member’s)
Payday loans
Mortgage
Car/motorcycle loan or lease
Credit cards, including store cards (more than $1,000 balance

If you use credit cards, how much do you typically pay each month?
Full balance
More than the minimum payment, but less than the full balance
Minimum payment
Nothing / less than the minimum payment
I don't use credit cards

As part of the BRS, the Navy offers a Continuation Pay bonus at 12 years of service, in exchange for a 4-year service commitment. Do you plan to accept the Continuation Pay bonus?
I already have
Definitely yes
Probably yes
I’m not sure yet
Probably not
Definitely not

Do you plan to remain in the Navy until at least 20 YOS to receive the Navy pension after retirement?
Definitely yes
Probably yes
I’m not sure yet
Probably not
Definitely not

As part of the BRS, the Navy now offers a lump-sum option for pension payments, where you can choose to receive a single lump-sum payment at the time of retirement, in exchange for a reduction in future annual payments. If you reach retirement, do you plan to choose the lump sum option?
Definitely yes
Probably yes
I'm not sure yet
Probably not
Definitely not

This is the final section of the survey. We are interested in your preferences about the timing and size of bonus payments. The following questions will ask about hypothetical bonus programs. (Screenshoots of these four questions are attached to the post.)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2019, 11:53:03 PM »
2. Received an email invitation to participate in a BRS survey (below); looks to be a Navy-specific survey.
Fascinating, thanks.  I wonder if that's part of a mandated report back to DoD (Congress?), or simply an autopsy of the last four years.

I guess it could inform the services about their use of the Continuation Pay bonus, or perhaps help dissuade future BRS retirees from taking the lump-sum pension option, but I'm not sure what other relevance this has. 

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2019, 11:53:51 AM »
So far the Air Force hasn't sent out any surveys on the BRS.

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2020, 01:02:56 PM »
Happy New Year!

Wanted to post a 2019 wrap-up and goals/projections for 2020.

Projected Annual Income for 2020: $92,000
(NOTE: I am deployed in a CZTE area so all of 2019 pay was tax-exempt; most of my 2020 pay will be tax exempt as well.) 

CURRENT ASSETS
Cash: $11,000
Roth IRA: $107,500 (Vanguard)
Roth/Traditional TSP: $228,000 (currently contributing 22% of pay)
Investments: $27,000 (Vanguard Index Fund)
Savings Deposit Program (SDP): $10,800
TOTAL: $384,300

CURRENT LIABILITIES
Mortgage: $315,500
Bought in JAN 2013 for $360,000 @ 3% VA home loan (currently a rental property in Oahu)
Current Zillow est. value: $565,00
TOTAL: $315,500

2019 Financial/Career Goals:
Max Roth TSP - DONE $19,500 (+ full BRS matching into Traditional TSP  $4,340)
Max Roth IRA - DONE $6,000; lump sum in JAN19
Negotiate orders for 2020 - DONE; OCONUS orders for late 2020
Contribute $5,000 to my Vanguard Index Fund - DONE (AUG19)

2020 Financial/Career Goals:
Max Roth TSP - on track $19,500 (NOTE: I opted into BRS so receive full BRS matching into Traditional TSP of $4,340/year)
Max Roth IRA - DONE $6,000; lump sum in JAN20
Execute OCONUS orders in 2020
Contribute $20,000 to my Vanguard Index Fund - (BRS Continuation Pay lump sum)

Additional notes:

I maxed out the last two years of my Roth IRA via lump sum deposits in both January 2019 and January 2020. My goal is to do the same in January 2021 - so saving throughout this year for next years Roth IRA lump sum deposit. Also need to determine what to do with the SDP monies once released/transferred automatically via direct deposit 4 months after leaving the CZTE.

I plan on meeting with my realtors in Hawaii in late January to prepare the Oahu property for sale. Need to make sure I understand the capital gains exemption for military members and the depreciation tax implications. Goal is to sell the property in mid-2020.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 11:58:31 PM by mgnhrvth »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2020, 02:58:51 PM »
I maxed out the last two years of my Roth IRA via lump sum deposits in both January 2019 and January 2020. My goal is to do the same in January 2021 - so saving throughout this year for next years Roth IRA lump sum deposit. Also need to determine what to do with the SDP monies once released/transferred automatically via direct deposit 4 months after leaving the CZTE.
This was one of those unique investment opportunities which was only available by virtue of the combat zone, and it eventually ends.  The hypothetical answer would be investing that cash back into your asset allocation. 

Of course since it's cash then maybe it's part of an emergency fund, or maybe it's going to a sinking fund for a replacement vehicle, or maybe it's going to pay for the closing costs on the sale of the house, or...

Maybe you're simply going to keep it in a high-yield savings account until your house is sold and you're at your new duty station and your travel claim has been settled.  And once most of the uncertainty has been resolved, you'd invest the cash back into your asset allocation.

I plan on meeting with my realtors in Hawaii in late January to prepare the Oahu property for sale. Need to make sure I understand the capital gains exemption for military members and the depreciation tax implications. Goal is to sell the property in mid-2020.
First, here's one of the best explanations I've ever read about that topic.  It's written by Paul Allen of Redeployment Wealth Strategies.  He's a military retiree, a CFP, and an Enrolled Agent.  He's the other half of the RWS partnership with Sean Gillespie.
https://www.katehorrell.com/favorable-tax-rules-for-military-when-excluding-capital-gain-from-sale-of-principal-residence/

Second, it sounds like you're going to do the typical retail sale where your realtor works with the buyer's realtor to handle the process for closing costs and commissions. 

But if you've decided to do a Help-U-Sell or a For Sale By Owner, or if you want to sell to a real estate investor, then I can connect you with guys on Oahu like Cathleen Hutch or Vince Gethings who would either be interested in buying it for their own investment... or who know some other investor who would. 

I'm not proposing a sketchy pocket-listing transaction but rather a private sale.

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2020, 11:30:50 AM »
So far the Air Force hasn't sent out any surveys on the BRS.

I reached out the office/POC who is conducting the survey. They confirmed it should be complete in March 2020.

I have requested a copy - will share if this forum once I have a copy.

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2020, 04:51:02 AM »
Posting a small update to my January 2020 post.

JAN 2020 ASSETS
Cash: $11,000
Roth IRA: $107,500 (Vanguard)
Roth/Traditional TSP: $228,000 (contributing 22% of pay)
Investments: $27,000 (Vanguard Index Fund)
Savings Deposit Program (SDP): $10,800
TOTAL: $384,300

MARCH 2020 ASSETS
Cash: $13,000
Roth IRA: $81,700 (Vanguard)
Roth/Traditional TSP: $175,000 (contributing 22% of pay)
Investments: $20,500 (Vanguard Index Fund)
Savings Deposit Program (SDP): $11,000
TOTAL: $301,200

DELTA: $(83,100)
A dip in assets overall but do not plan to modify my savings plan/goals nor my asset/contribution allocations.

LIABILITIES:
Mortgage: $314,000
Bought in JAN 2013 for $382,000 @ 3% VA home loan (WellsFargo)
Current Zillow value: $567,000
TOTAL: $314,000

TSP
I opted into BRS so receive full BRS matching into my Traditional TSP account of about $4,340/year. (I max my Roth TSP which is $19,500 this year; the matching funds do not count against the total.) One piece I am trying to verify is if my TSP matching dollars (into Traditional TSP), while in a CZTE status, are actually flagged as CZTE contributions. I think they are but I am looking for a policy or reference to confirm that…..

Selling the Property
I met with my realtors in Hawaii in late January to prepare the Oahu property for sale. Signed the contract for representation and goal is still to sell the property in mid-2020. That said, a few factors/unknowns:

Given the turbulence and second/third order effects RE COVID-19, is now the right time to sell? How (or will) the current COVID-19 impact selling a property in the US in general? How (or will) the current COVID-19 impact selling a property in Hawaii specifically? Hawaii is always a unique petri dish when it comes to property and housing... Given low mortgage interest rates, could now actually be a better time keep the property and explore a re-fi at a lower rate (currently at 3%) to a 15 year at 2.5% etc? Given the extremely low mortgage interest rates, could now actually be a better time to sell?  My current renters are military, I don’t know if the recently announced DOD PCS and travel restrictions impact them or their ability to vacate at the conclusion of the lease.

I am not under any financial or personal pressure to sell or keep the property and feel neutral overall. Hawaii property taxes are low and the mortgage/rental tax write-offs are beneficial.

2020 Developments:
Pay increase: In mid-2020, I will hit my 12 year mark in the military and receive an additional $400 per pay period (month).

Negotiate orders for 2020: I did receive my orders this week to Europe, PCS date is October 2020. Won’t know for a few more months if that move will be impacted by DOD guidance due to current public health dynamics.

Stay safe and healthy!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:06:16 AM by mgnhrvth »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2020, 06:22:05 AM »
One piece I am trying to verify is if my TSP matching dollars (into Traditional TSP), while in a CZTE status, are actually flagged as CZTE contributions. I think they are but I am looking for a policy or reference to confirm that…..
Interesting question— I’ve never thought about it.  I don’t think DoD BRS agency/matching contributions are considered income at all, let alone CZTE pay.  They’re simply agency/matching contributions.  They’re not taxed or tax-deferred when they’re added to your account because they’re not taxable income.

I’m not a 401(k) expert on the withdrawal of agency/matching contributions.  I’ll see if I can dig into the tax code or get clarification from a CFP.

Selling the Property
I met with my realtors in Hawaii in late January to prepare the Oahu property for sale. Signed the contract for representation and goal is still to sell the property in mid-2020. That said, a few factors/unknowns:

Given the turbulence and second/third order effects RE COVID-19, is now the right time to sell? How (or will) the current COVID-19 impact selling a property in the US in general? How (or will) the current COVID-19 impact selling a property in Hawaii specifically? Hawaii is always a unique petri dish when it comes to property and housing... Given low mortgage interest rates, could now actually be a better time keep the property and explore a re-fi at a lower rate (currently at 3%) to a 15 year at 2.5% etc? Given low mortgage interest rates, could now actually be a better time to sell as mortgages rates are so low? My current renters are military, I don’t know if the recently announced DOD PCS and travel restrictions impact them or their ability to vacate at the conclusion of the lease.

I am not under any financial or personal pressure to sell or keep the property and feel neutral overall. Hawaii property taxes are low and the mortgage/rental tax write-offs are beneficial.
Feelings, sure.  Intending to return to the property someday as a primary residence, maybe.  But is this a hobby to feel good about, or is it an investment?

If you’re feeling neutral on selling, what were your thoughts about these posts from 21 June 2019 and 1 January 2020?
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/on-track-for-military-fire/msg2400665/#msg2400665
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/on-track-for-military-fire/msg2527122/#msg2527122

With record-low mortgage interest rates, your property just became more affordable to people who can borrow more money at lower interest rates.

Property taxes are low because employment income and excise taxes are the primary drivers of state tax revenue from residents. 

However the mortgage/rental tax write-offs are just reimbursing you 12-22 cents for every dollar you lose.  Depreciation recapture might even be taxed at 25%, although that’s a highly individual calculation after the property has been sold.

It bears repeating:  do the math and figure out your capitalization rate.  If you’re not earning at least 6%/year after expenses then you’re diversified into an asset which lags the long-term performance of the stock market.  (On BiggerPockets or AffordAnything that’s the 1% thumbrule and the 50% thumbrule.)  If you’re earning less than 5% then you have a tremendous long-term opportunity cost compared to a total stock market index fund.

Your property value may have peaked.  When Ho’opili and Koa Ridge start selling finished homes, the nearby neighborhoods will lose value.  Building applications are being filed for high-rise apartment complexes all around Kaka’ako.  When the light rail finally starts operating, people will do the math on living near that transportation corridor.  Anything more than a half-mile away from the rail line will lose value for working families.

If you were presented with the chance to buy this property all over again, and you did your financial due diligence all over again, would you still buy it?  Or would you invest your capital in a rental property somewhere else in the U.S. where it makes sense?  You have many more places on the Mainland where you can invest, and Hawaii rentals generally don’t have a cap rate anywhere near as high as those Mainland properties.

If you could cash out this property in the next few months and pay your capital gains taxes and depreciation recapture, would you invest your after-tax funds in the stock market at a 20% discount?  What if it was a 30% discount?  This is mainly an asset allocation question.

Over the last 23 years that my spouse and I have landlorded our Waipio Gentry rental, it’s earned a cap rate of 3%-4%.  It’s been a tremendous opportunity cost against the stock market, and when CDs are paying anywhere near 3% then we’re landlord idiots for working so hard.  Over the long term (ignoring short-term volatility) it’s appreciated at about 2.2%— roughly the rate of inflation.

Fortunately we can afford the opportunity cost of losing a fortune on it.

In our case, though, we might be able to have family move into the property in a few years.  My spouse also wants to move back into it after I die because it’s age-in-place friendly.  Those are emotional reasons for keeping a sub-par rental property, not financial ones.

Are those good enough reasons for you to keep paying people to operate your Hawaii rental?

2020 Developments:
Pay increase: In mid-2020, I will hit my 12 year mark in the military and receive an additional $400 per pay period (month).

Negotiate orders for 2020: I did receive my orders the week to Europe, PCS date is October 2020.
Again, you made a great move on CP.  This is where the BRS option really pays off.

Retireatee1

• Stubble
    • Retireator.org
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2020, 08:17:35 AM »
I took a wild stab at it with a Retireator simulation (attached).  I put your monthly retirement expenses at $3800 but this needs attention.  I enabled a reverse mortgage which is interesting in your situation.  The FIRE date for this run came out at 11/21/2033 with a savings goal of $1,169,692.

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2020, 03:01:33 AM »
Thank you @Nords and @Retireatee1 - Always appreciate the feedback!

@Nords - you are right, saying that I “feel natural overall” about selling the property was poor wording. I want to sell on time (this summer) and within the price range discussed with my agent.  What I was trying to communicate is that, if the property doesn’t sell (and I have to revert back to a rental property), I will be able to manage financially. Feedback from my agent below:

“We haven't had any real issues with our real estate market here. There are less international buyers but they make up only a small portion of our sales on Oahu. So far we haven't experienced any major issues. As we get closer to the listing date I will re-assess the market value.”

I am very fortunate that my current and future employment (at least the next four years) is not in jeopardy. And my current renters are military so no impact to their ability to pay rent.

2020 Developments:
Given the recent market dip, I borrowed $20,000 from my parents (0% interest) and deposited it into my Vanguard Index Fund (VTSAX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares - ER 0.04%). I will pay them back upon receipt of my Blended Retirement System (BRS) Career Retention Bonus ($20,000) in July 2020. 

I also have my Roth IRA with Vanguard (also VTSAX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares - ER 0.04%).

Like most folks, I have experienced a dip in assets overall but do not plan to modify my savings plan/goals nor my asset/contribution allocations.

2020 Goals:
Max Roth TSP - on track for $19,500* by December 2020
Max Roth IRA - DONE January 2020
Execute OCONUS orders - Scheduled for October 2020
Contribute $20,000 to my Vanguard Index Fund - DONE March 2020

*(NOTE: I opted into BRS so receive full BRS matching into Traditional TSP of $4,340/year)

One activity I would like to explore is credit card churning for travel benefits. Plan on adding this to my 2021 Goals.

Fellow medical staff - hang in there, take care of your physical and mental health. We are running a marathon at a sprint pace (for a while anyway).

Everyone else - stay safe and healthy!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:59:08 AM by mgnhrvth »