Author Topic: Is my math right - may buy an expensive car  (Read 14999 times)

brian313313

• Stubble
Is my math right - may buy an expensive car
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
Hi,

So I've been saving at a great rate for about 10 years. I have an Equity spreadsheet and I'm pretty close to where I could FIRE. I don't have that type of personality though. I only feel like retiring when I'm burnt out and have generally worked for about 10 months/year. I recently decided to lower my savings rate because my wife & I don't have anyone to leave money to. We've assigned a charity for after we both die and bills have been paid for. So I starting thinking about what's most important to me that would make it interesting to spend some extra money on. I used to be a car fanatic but decided that it was too expensive. Well, I think I can afford it now. I am plugging numbers into my spreadsheet and I'm sort of blown away by how little effect it seems to have. Is there something wrong with my math here? The way I account for debt is put it as a negative equity against my cash assets. That gives me the effect of 8% interest although I'd be borrowing the money as long as it's so cheap.

Cash Flow
Income - $10,000/mo after tax. This is non-taxed 401k contributions + take home pay.
Bills - $2500/mo - This includes a small amount of frivolous stuff but things we don't give up when I'm not working.
Additional spending - $1000/mo - This is more frivolous stuff that goes away when I'm not working. Every Jan & Feb we scale back to the "Bills" section only to readjust and see how much we really "need" to live.

Assets
401k - $500,000
Paid for condo - $200,000

I'm considering a 40k vehicle. I know that this is completely unnecessary...it's a luxury item. I've never spent more than $21k on a car and that was in 2001 so it's sorta freaking me out. The math looks like at this point it has a rather insignificant impact on my portfolio growth. It sets me back about 4 months to the FIRE I don't plan on taking. It may even be a little less than that because I'm counting 1% interest as 8%. I'm really looking to ease anxiety here more than anything else, unless I have made a mistake in my math. I figure I'll get a lot of face-punches posting here but if there is a mistake, someone will notice it.

Math -
Assets - 500k - 40k = 460k
Contributions - Really stays the same, because the payment is accounted for in the artificial reduction in assets so I'm adding $6500/mo. (To explain this further, the debt is going down by the amount of payments pretty much at 1%. The 40k that is really still there earning 8% on average has less claim against it.)
Growth - $3000/mo.

This is the simple version. The spreadsheet also includes inflation, compounding, etc. but that doesn't have the largest share & I didn't want to upload my spreadsheet. (I admit I'm a geek and I created some Excel functions CalcFed, CalcState, CalcSSI, & CalcMedi that return the exact amounts based on gross income.)

TCO is less than the payments after about 2 years. Insurance goes up by 1.80 every six months so I ignored that. Gas goes from $28/month to $80/month.

I'm pretty sure my math is right but it's just blowing me away. The "tidal wave" as MMM put it in a post one time seems that it will wipe this out in short-term.

Also, in my life I've gone through periods of downsizing and upsizing and know that I don't have any emotional problems cutting back when I need to. (i.e. I can adjust to the hedonic adaptation going back.)

Thanks for double-checking my figures.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Is my math right - may buy an expensive car
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »
If you don’t plan on retiring, this is a one-off splurge and not a regular occurrence, it doesn’t really matter, indulge. Just make sure your partner gets a similar extravagance.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
If you don’t plan on retiring, this is a one-off splurge and not a regular occurrence, it doesn’t really matter, indulge. Just make sure your partner gets a similar extravagance.

Great advice about looking out for your partner also. She's already has had her indulgence. She got 50k worth of remodeling. That was part for me but mostly for her. That's not an expense in quite the same way since that's a partially appreciating asset. She's behind this for me and considers it fair trade for the remodeling.

Bruinguy

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »
Consider whether your maintenance costs will go up. My maintenance for my Toyota  is about a third of the maintenance for the luxury brands I used to have.

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 12:48:22 PM »
I need to know what the car is so that I can truly judge the decision.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 12:50:12 PM »
Consider whether your maintenance costs will go up. My maintenance for my Toyota  is about a third of the maintenance for the luxury brands I used to have.

Yes, that's important. They will triple over time. I forgot to list them here but they are accounted for in TCO. I'm basically tripling the value of my current vehicle which will triple depreciation & maintenance. I was truly shocked when the insurance didn't go up also.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »
No amount of math is going to answer this; you can obviously afford such a purchase.  The question you need to ask yourself is will this purchase bring me x% more over the next cheapest alternative.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »
I need to know what the car is so that I can truly judge the decision.

Sorry. I didn't list the specific car so this wouldn't get into a discussion of the merits of the car. I have done that on a car forum. Generically, it is a 6 month dealer demo so it has miles but is coming with the full new car warranty. It is a higher than average maintenance vehicle. I started looking at older ones but research made me decide I'd be better in the long term buying one with low mileage and doubling the amount of manufacturer maintenance. Most moto-philes claim the reliability problems have to do with the high-performance vehicle being on the same schedule as the low-performance ones. I plan on 5k oil changes instead of 10k plus some additional maintenance. I also like to turn a wrench as they say.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »
FFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAACCCCE PPPPPPPUUUUUUUUUNCH.
This is the Mr. Money Mustache forum.
No one NEEDS a $41k car. And if you WANT a $41k car and really, really, really think it will give you a proportional amount of actual happiness, whether you can afford it or not, maybe you need to take a step back and think about what makes you happy and why.

Good job on the savings.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 01:27:59 PM »
No amount of math is going to answer this; you can obviously afford such a purchase.  The question you need to ask yourself is will this purchase bring me x% more over the next cheapest alternative.

The answer to that is not an easy one. If you're talking about the next cheapest vehicle, I have no reason to upgrade my Prius which is not worth a whole lot now with fuel prices low. The Prius is basic transportation but as far as basic transportation goes, I like that car. My wife doesn't though. She wants to stick a key in the ignition and loves our 15 year old Acura which will probably last another 15 with the 2400 miles/year she puts on it.

The reasons for the upgrade are more hobby oriented. I plan on joining a club if I buy this. There is something cheaper that would be functional but it's uncomfortable and I don't like that choice at all.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 01:43:11 PM »
No one NEEDS a $41k car. And if you WANT a $41k car and really, really, really think it will give you a proportional amount of actual happiness, whether you can afford it or not, maybe you need to take a step back and think about what makes you happy and why.

Good job on the savings.

MMM talks about spending money on what you want and can afford. Also realizing that luxuries are a want and not a need. (And almost everything we have is a luxury in the USA.) I think a good point to make on this to people on the other side side of the debt equation is eventually, you'll be able to easily afford the luxuries you want. The important thing is to keep luxuries in proportion to your income/net worth.

For me, the proportional happiness is between the car and money in the bank. I've just gotten to the point that I feel like I have enough in the bank. I'm still adding to it because one day I may change my mind about retirement, but I'm slowing down. Adding zero's won't bring so much happiness. I'm also attempting to go to 75% work although that's not so easy. I'm working on a lot of really cool stuff right now and I keep agreeing to do tasks.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 02:08:30 PM »
Run the numbers on keeping the car for one year.  If you are not happy having it and end up selling it are you ok with the year costing you X$?

Also, you are buying a toy so you can join a clique.  And I really hope you are not intending to "roll coal".

Mountainbug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »
From his statements above it sounds like it’s more of a sports car than a diesel truck. I’m also very curious to know what vehicle you’re considering, OP. I have some ideas from the clues you gave but I could be way off.

You can afford it, if you don’t like it you can always sell it, and you have a reliable mustachian vehicle. Why not? People who aren’t into motorsports are going to blast you as this being a huge waste, but they probably have their own hobbies and weaknesses that they waste money on. To each their own.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:13 PM »
$40k is not an expensive car. The average transaction price for a new car this year is about $35k, so you're only 14% more spendy than your average American buying a new car. Based on the title of this thread I was expecting something closer to $80k.

Now it is still a lot of money to drop in one place and is purely optional so you really need to ensure that it will make you proportionally more happy.

You may be interesting in reading my journal, though it sounds like you've already decided on a specific car. Are you sure you can't share what it is? Corvette? Porsche? Jaguar? Aston Martin? Lotus? So many good used sports car options at that price point.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 02:25:03 PM »

Good job on the savings.

MMM talks about spending money on what you want and can afford. Also realizing that luxuries are a want and not a need. (And almost everything we have is a luxury in the USA.) I think a good point to make on this to people on the other side side of the debt equation is eventually, you'll be able to easily afford the luxuries you want. The important thing is to keep luxuries in proportion to your income/net worth.

For me, the proportional happiness is between the car and money in the bank. I've just gotten to the point that I feel like I have enough in the bank. I'm still adding to it because one day I may change my mind about retirement, but I'm slowing down. Adding zero's won't bring so much happiness. I'm also attempting to go to 75% work although that's not so easy. I'm working on a lot of really cool stuff right now and I keep agreeing to do tasks.

Look at it this way -- why if you have $41k to spend on anything at all, why or why would you choose to spend it on a car?    I don't get that.     A nice mode of transportation can be easily covered by $20k, topping off the car price would be quite low on my list...I would be looking into solar panels or money to my nieces' education, or sending DH to go see his grandparents because they are 92... that sort of thing.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »
Are you considering a BMW X3? That seems like a really boring way to spend $40k. At least spice up your life with a Jaguar F-Type or something.

one piece at a time

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »
Get a track car, get a collectible car, get a car you have some emotional attachment to. Don't get a $40k daily driver just so that you can sit in traffic with a nicer exhaust note. I'm failing to see how you are getting any incremental benefit from your current car, so yes, it is too expensive for the benefit you'll be getting.

You can afford to self insure, like cars, and like working on cars. Why do you want a dealer warranty?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 02:32:51 PM by one piece at a time »

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
Face Punch. Extra Hard. 

This is over 5% of your net worth, not counting maintenance!

5% of all the shit you put up with in life to amass that fortune is about to be lost forever. 

I'm as much of a car nerd as anybody else (with a long history of face punch worthy vehicles), but there is nothing a $41k does better than a car that costs half as much except lose money. 

But, as I've said. I'm a car nerd. State your case.  I could be convinced to blow that amount of money on a car. I know I have.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »
Are you considering a BMW X3? That seems like a really boring way to spend $40k. At least spice up your life with a Jaguar F-Type or something.

lol. You caught me. Yes, I wanted a small ORV but also like the high-performance aspect. I don't like the Jeep and there's just not much else in that category.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »
You can afford to self insure, like cars, and like working on cars. Why do you want a dealer warranty?

I want to know the maintenance history of the vehicle. The warranty comes with it. Even if I do the work myself, parts are not cheap.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 02:51:10 PM »
OK, Face Punch Extra Hard, on it's way. 

X3? Seriously? 

Sure, the straight six is a beautiful, willing motor.

Utterly strangled to death in a chassis with the driving dynamics of a CR-V.   

The X3 is built cheaply so people get to sport the roundel and still get the benefit of driving a transportation appliance.   

Don't kid yourself on the ability of it to handle anything other than improved roads either. There's nothing "O" about it.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »

lol. You caught me. Yes, I wanted a small ORV but also like the high-performance aspect. I don't like the Jeep and there's just not much else in that category.

I don't see the advantages of a $40k X3 over say a $20k Acura RDX. Assuming we're comparing to the xDrive35i, the RDX is 400 lb lighter and gets better fuel economy, while also having an equivalent power-to-weight ratio. I'd assume the Acura would be more reliable as well.

Personally I don't like crossover SUVs. They're essentially appliances so there isn't much reason to spend extra on one. If you're going to spend a lot of money on a car it should at least be something special, preferably something like a collector's car that isn't going to depreciate.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 03:01:14 PM »
My advice: Any used Jeep Cherokee with a V8. 

The single most popular model of automobile with millionaires at one point. *

My pick would be the 5.9 Limited ZJ, but that's going back a few years. 

The WJs with the 4.7 are also pretty nice. 

I'd imagine the more recent SRT models are also getting into the the $40k range as well. 

Completely ridiculous car choice? Hell yeah! 

But way cheaper, way more fun, and way more capable than an X3.  Plus car nerds won't make fun of you.

* Seriously! As stated in "The Millionaire Next Door". 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »

X3? Seriously? 

+1

An X3?!? Duuude.

You need to wait. Spending >5% of your net worth on a car is definitely facepunch worthy.

Not to mention that you already spend $1000/month on "more frivolous stuff" because you work. Yeah, sure, I ate out 1-2x/month more when I was working because work sucked but $1000 more per month? Wtf? Is that multiple massages per week? Drowning yourself in alcohol?

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 03:07:20 PM »
$40k is not an expensive car. The average transaction price for a new car this year is about $35k, so you're only 14% more spendy than your average American buying a new car. Based on the title of this thread I was expecting something closer to $80k.

Now it is still a lot of money to drop in one place and is purely optional so you really need to ensure that it will make you proportionally more happy.

You may be interesting in reading my journal, though it sounds like you've already decided on a specific car. Are you sure you can't share what it is? Corvette? Porsche? Jaguar? Aston Martin? Lotus? So many good used sports car options at that price point.

I'll read more of your journal later. Sounds like we have a lot in common concerning cars. I have had a Porsche Cayman before. Beautiful car. It was actually very Mustachian (or at least economical) for me also. I worked for Porsche and it was a company lease. It was $300/mo and that included insurance. I had to pay for gas & car washes. I had a 1500 mile/month limit for 6 months. It was pretty cool but my boss was a complete a-hole so I left and lost that benefit. I figured if I wanted I could buy one later. My search started out looking at Porsche & Corvette but I switched to the X3 because I'll get more utility out of it. Also, I don't have a garage and the Porsche & Corvette will attract a lot more attention that I don't want. They get vandalized. An X3 is pretty common around where I live so won't draw much attention. It'll still to a 5.2 0-60 and that's plenty for me.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 03:10:58 PM »

X3? Seriously? 

+1

An X3?!? Duuude.

You need to wait. Spending >5% of your net worth on a car is definitely facepunch worthy.

Not to mention that you already spend $1000/month on "more frivolous stuff" because you work. Yeah, sure, I ate out 1-2x/month more when I was working because work sucked but $1000 more per month? Wtf? Is that multiple massages per week? Drowning yourself in alcohol?

Probably half of that is vacations/mountain trips. The rest is everything that's not in our budget. Could be a piece of furniture, hobbies, etc.

I know I spend more than most on here dollar-wise. There are a lot of people who could put me to shame on budget but I believe in more balance. Some for today, some for tomorrow.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »

I don't see the advantages of a $40k X3 over say a $20k Acura RDX. Assuming we're comparing to the xDrive35i, the RDX is 400 lb lighter and gets better fuel economy, while also having an equivalent power-to-weight ratio. I'd assume the Acura would be more reliable as well.

Personally I don't like crossover SUVs. They're essentially appliances so there isn't much reason to spend extra on one. If you're going to spend a lot of money on a car it should at least be something special, preferably something like a collector's car that isn't going to depreciate.

Acura RDX is a great choice also. That was my first choice but couldn't figure what I would do to mod it. I had a hard time deciding between them and I would definitely choose the RDX over the 28i. However with the 35i, the performance, appearance, & interior are all superior to me. It made me decide it was worth the extra. I'm looking for a luxury item so I wanted something that looked new. I would have been in the 25k minimum on a used RDX. And honestly, I still haven't made the purchase because I keep looking at the 15k difference.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »
My advice: Any used Jeep Cherokee with a V8. 

The single most popular model of automobile with millionaires at one point. *

My pick would be the 5.9 Limited ZJ, but that's going back a few years. 

The WJs with the 4.7 are also pretty nice. 

I'd imagine the more recent SRT models are also getting into the the $40k range as well. 

Completely ridiculous car choice? Hell yeah! 

But way cheaper, way more fun, and way more capable than an X3.  Plus car nerds won't make fun of you.

* Seriously! As stated in "The Millionaire Next Door".

I agree with you that Jeep is was more capable off-road. I'm pretty mild though. I'm usually trying to get to a trail-head to hike somewhere more than off-roading. My Prius can make most of it but it does bottom out occasionally or I have to turn around. I test-drove all the Jeeps and the only one I liked was the Grand Cherokee but it's larger & about the same price.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »
After shopping the used lots, and looking at the repair costs of 4, 5, 6 year old vehicles, I have a theory..

BMW's are listed at a higher than true market price so that so many people will justify the lease rates on them.   BMW does intend to actually sell these cars new.     Locally, the lots are filled with lease return BMW X5 and X3's.  There can be 5 each of them at any one time on a single lot.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »
After shopping the used lots, and looking at the repair costs of 4, 5, 6 year old vehicles, I have a theory..

BMW's are listed at a higher than true market price so that so many people will justify the lease rates on them.   BMW does intend to actually sell these cars new.     Locally, the lots are filled with lease return BMW X5 and X3's.  There can be 5 each of them at any one time on a single lot.

I agree with this. BMW finance also has super-low rates which reduces "payment" if you keep a vehicle for the whole term. The rate is low for finance or lease. I haven't thought payment in over 20 years though. I'm a TCO type guy which I think almost everyone on here is after a short time. If you overpay for a low rate that's the same as taking the rate instead of cash back which doesn't usually work.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 01:58:11 AM »
OP  if you really want this specific car, and want a new shiny one at that...  and of course, if you have the money to spend on wants...

Why not consider a 2 year lease?  e.g., rent the car for $14k and pay insurance, then return it and buy a different used vehicle that fits your financial goals in the future?   

I mean, if you really want it, why not get it but avoid the negatives?  This way the only negative is paying too much up front for short term use, but it does not "linger" after 2 years.

Most of us (ok, me) imagine that you will find that this car is nice for a while, but does not fit well with your driving needs.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 03:28:09 AM »
I think now more than ever this is a dumb decision. Cars are going to plummet in value over the next decade. ICE cars at least. Spending 40k for something the avg person spends 4% of their life in doesn't make sense. The electric and ai car are literally a few years away and will completely disrupt how society views cars.  Get rid of the mouth to feed and now you've got cheap affordable transportation in the form of Uber robot cars or some other company equivalent.

So if you plan on your car being worth 0 dollars in 10 or so then you're probably on the correct path for how you've done the math. And 10 is probably a stretch.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 05:47:56 AM »
OP  if you really want this specific car, and want a new shiny one at that...  and of course, if you have the money to spend on wants...

Why not consider a 2 year lease?  e.g., rent the car for $14k and pay insurance, then return it and buy a different used vehicle that fits your financial goals in the future?   

I mean, if you really want it, why not get it but avoid the negatives?  This way the only negative is paying too much up front for short term use, but it does not "linger" after 2 years.

Most of us (ok, me) imagine that you will find that this car is nice for a while, but does not fit well with your driving needs.

I think now more than ever this is a dumb decision. Cars are going to plummet in value over the next decade. ICE cars at least. Spending 40k for something the avg person spends 4% of their life in doesn't make sense. The electric and ai car are literally a few years away and will completely disrupt how society views cars.  Get rid of the mouth to feed and now you've got cheap affordable transportation in the form of Uber robot cars or some other company equivalent.

So if you plan on your car being worth 0 dollars in 10 or so then you're probably on the correct path for how you've done the math. And 10 is probably a stretch.

I've considered leasing for both of these reasons.

Now, I'm reconsidering going the X3 route at all. I started thinking about my reasons for doing this and a new vehicle has some problems. The good is that modifications are a smaller percentage & I should be able to keep one vehicle instead of it being a second. I don't have official parking for another vehicle. The bad is that it's not a beater. One of my favorite off-road vehicles I've had was a Chevy Suburban 4x4 I got for $50. Whenever a big branch scraped down the side I could just smile and know that the new scratch would blend in with the old. The Suburban got 2mpg on-road and 1/2mpg off-road so that's not much of an option anymore. I'm considering just overpaying for something used. I say overpaying but it's more about not paying attention to the KBB values. A nice, rust-free vehicle is never anywhere in the KBB range. I want small so I can drive around the city and park it. I want some decent hp & 4WD/AWD. If I go back about 15 years the average vehicle is a decent size. Like a 2004 Toyota Tacoma is a compact truck. I hate how large the new ones are. I still want it to be nice and look new inside so I'm going to pay a bit more for that. I can re-carpet & upholster easily enough though if it's a common vehicle. I don't care as much about how the outside looks. I don't have to look at that. As long as it's not so bad that I keep getting pulled over or it has body panels falling off.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 07:58:03 AM »
As I read your vague set of clues about the brand, I thought. Here is another one who lusts after a BMW, has drank the kool-Aid, and found the forums where everybody swims in the group delusions of, "we are smart for buying great cars, and everything you read about them being poor quality, grossly overpriced, and unreliable is overblown".

You are smarter than that!  German luxury cars are always over-complicated and over-engineered to an extreme, and generally are hellaciously expensive to repair, and maintain and sub-par in reliability metrics.  BMWs are over-priced for what they are, and far from great cars. They may be great performers, they may be great at luxury or creating badge envy, but overall they are not even close to the product you want to believe that it is. Your $40K liability will be worth less than half that in a few years, and if you keep it, and drive it regularly, it will be about a third as reliable, and three times more expensive to operate than a similar Japanese brand. What is the point? So, you can be a BMW owner? Who gives a fuck. The other issue is this claim of off road performance. Seriously, that's an off-roader, like my fat ass is an Olympic sprinter. Just because I put a pair of $400 running shoes on, doesn't mean I belong on the running track. I have been in the San Juans in CO. in a rented, stock Wrangler, and done things that scared the shit out of me, and caused a passenger to get out and walk, since they just knew that we were all going to die. Attempting 1/10th of that in an X whatever, would result in a pretty little German station wagon, high centered and waiting on a tow truck, in sight of the blacktop.

Sorry for the rough review, but this is MMM, and you asked. If you can't go through life without crossing this one off the list, lease if for two years, like Goldielocks suggested. That way, you won't be on the hook for the stupid cost of maintaining it, and when you get to the "WTF was I thinking" point, the count down to handing it back is short.

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 08:24:41 AM »
I don't understand why anyone would look for approval on the MMM forums for expensive car purchases. This is a forum about optimizing your expenses, making your savings work hard for you, and generally living life better while doing that. 

Fancy cars are the epitome of being a consumer-sucka and tiny details exaggeration syndrome.

If I was going to buy something like this, I would do it in the full knowledge that it was silly and the vast majority of sane people on this forum would not applaud it.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 03:37:51 PM »
Get the car.  If you're living well below your means, are hitting your savings goals, and don't plan on retiring in the near future, allow yourself a splurge.  Be smart about it... i.e. buy used if you can, shop around on interest rate, etc.

I know this is the MMM forum but isn't Mustachianism all about prioritizing spending on things you value while saving on areas you do not?

But take this with a grain of salt.  I bought myself a Tesla earlier this year and it was over 5% of my net worth.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »
Get the car.  If you're living well below your means, are hitting your savings goals, and don't plan on retiring in the near future, allow yourself a splurge.  Be smart about it... i.e. buy used if you can, shop around on interest rate, etc.

I know this is the MMM forum but isn't Mustachianism all about prioritizing spending on things you value while saving on areas you do not?

But take this with a grain of salt.  I bought myself a Tesla earlier this year and it was over 5% of my net worth.

So your answer is I made a dumb financial decision so you should too

Wrong

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »

No, it's about obtaining happiness for yourself and humanity as a whole.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/06/08/happiness-is-the-only-logical-pursuit/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/10/10/how-to-be-happy-rich-and-save-the-world/

Spending more on a car even when you value cars won't necessarily increase your happiness. You may be happier with the car's performance and/or features but on the flip side more worried about someone dinging it in a parking lot. And the more you spend on something the more likely small flaws will bug you.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 03:39:35 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would look for approval on the MMM forums for expensive car purchases. This is a forum about optimizing your expenses, making your savings work hard for you, and generally living life better while doing that. 

Fancy cars are the epitome of being a consumer-sucka and tiny details exaggeration syndrome.

If I was going to buy something like this, I would do it in the full knowledge that it was silly and the vast majority of sane people on this forum would not applaud it.

So true. I think if I were going to purchase a spanking new Beamer, a Dooney bag or an emerald ring *, this would be the last place in the world I'd go to to get permission for or to  justify the spending. I prefer taking my cash out at night and rolling around on it. **

* I wouldn't buy any of those things.

** I can't do that because my money is at Fidelity where it grows.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 07:04:55 AM »
Yeah, wrong car for the stated purpose. 

First, it’ll kill you on maintenance.

Second, it doesn’t say “I’m a car guy.”  It says “look, I’m a generic suburban wanna-be like everyone else.”

Third, if you actually want to go off-road, you’ve already identified the fundamental problem:  what’s the point if you have to worry about messing up your fancy leather seats?  Buy something that is actually built for off-roading — and cheap enough that you won’t care if you screw it up.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 08:17:01 AM »
Have you made a list of all the amazing things you could do with $40k before deciding that a housewife BmW wagon was optimal? You want a white one I’m guessing. You could change your life for forty grand. Get plastic surgery. New teeth. Hair implant. Tummy tuck. Invest in a lucrative business venture. Take a first class vacation for a month. Sponsor 100 poor World Vision kids for a year. Endow a chair at your favorite university.

If it is a car you must have, you can pay less than half for one which is faster or better off road or less common and vulgar. What are all the alternatives you have considered?

And yes, it is too early and too much of your net worth. I have more than ten times your net worth and don’t own a vehicle.  I may get a toy one day but for now prefer to see the investments compound.  In forty years your forty grand could be half a million. Imagine what you might get for that.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »
I did this (buy a fancy german sports car) two years ago. While I like it, I regret it. The depreciation has been brutal. I would sell it, but it has already depreciated so much there's no point, I might as well drive it now.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2017, 09:29:52 AM »
Have you made a list of all the amazing things you could do with $40k before deciding that a housewife BmW wagon was optimal? You want a white one I’m guessing. You could change your life for forty grand. Get plastic surgery. New teeth. Hair implant. Tummy tuck. Invest in a lucrative business venture. Take a first class vacation for a month. Sponsor 100 poor World Vision kids for a year. Endow a chair at your favorite university.

If it is a car you must have, you can pay less than half for one which is faster or better off road or less common and vulgar. What are all the alternatives you have considered?

And yes, it is too early and too much of your net worth. I have more than ten times your net worth and don’t own a vehicle.  I may get a toy one day but for now prefer to see the investments compound.  In forty years your forty grand could be half a million. Imagine what you might get for that.

Buy 2 100k rental properties.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2017, 02:58:36 AM »
I find myself drooling over Teslas and those T8 Volvos, but when I'm having a hard time with work or my kids I think "Would having a Tesla make this better?"

It wouldn't.

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2017, 04:06:48 AM »
Buy a $3k e-bike and smoke all the $40k cars stuck in traffic.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2017, 04:16:38 AM »
I find myself drooling over Teslas and those T8 Volvos, but when I'm having a hard time with work or my kids I think "Would having a Tesla make this better?"

It wouldn't.
I bet even if you only calculated the sales tax and licensing fees on said Tesla you'do come to the same conclusion.

+1 to OP asking this question in the wrong place. Unless what you really seek is help saying "NO" to your inner child. We can help you with that ;-)

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2017, 08:21:01 AM »
OP here.

Thank you for all the helpful advice. I'm not decided against this purchase, but I not getting the BMW. I never intended to discuss the vehicle because I was not decided. Since I use the same handle on other forums, someone posted a link to something else I posted related to the X3. I was quite certain when I made that other post, but I have a cooling down period that is non-flexible because of potential buyer's remorse. I was really looking for someone to double-check my math as it seemed to me that something was wrong. In the past, when I've evaluated expensive purchases it has made quite a bit of an extension on my FI spreadsheet and this really surprised me when it did not. I posted here because this is a place where there are a lot of good finance people. I'm pretty good myself but I couldn't believe my spreadsheet at first.

I will say a couple things about the money advice. I'm old enough that things are breaking down and I'm no longer able to do all the things that I wish I could. The $/happiness ratio is good to think about, but it's not always applicable. I can enjoy a book for $10 and the ratio would be much greater than something at $40k. However, 4000 books doesn't have the same ratio as one book. Excess cash has a ratio also. For most of my life this has had a high ratio, but I'm making a conscious decision to lower that. Sometimes you save for the future, and sometimes the future is now. The last think I want from life is to be old and incapacitated with a large balance sheet.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2017, 09:00:43 AM »
It sets me back about 4 months to the FIRE I don't plan on taking.
I was really looking for someone to double-check my math as it seemed to me that something was wrong. In the past, when I've evaluated expensive purchases it has made quite a bit of an extension on my FI spreadsheet and this really surprised me when it did not. I posted here because this is a place where there are a lot of good finance people. I'm pretty good myself but I couldn't believe my spreadsheet at first.

Sorry, I should have run the math along with my earlier posts. My rough calculations come up with 7.2 extra months to FI if you finance the purchase and 8 extra months if you pay cash for the vehicle. It's even longer if the running costs of the $40k vehicle increase your living expenses. This is almost double your estimate.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »
Sorry, I should have run the math along with my earlier posts. My rough calculations come up with 7.2 extra months to FI if you finance the purchase and 8 extra months if you pay cash for the vehicle. It's even longer if the running costs of the $40k vehicle increase your living expenses. This is almost double your estimate.

Can you tell me what you did different from my calc posted above? That's a pretty big difference and I'd like to know what changed. If not, no worries. I know I only posted a general outline of what I did.

Thanks.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »

Can you tell me what you did different from my calc posted above? That's a pretty big difference and I'd like to know what changed. If not, no worries. I know I only posted a general outline of what I did.

Thanks.

I used an FI calculator and plugged in the different numbers, compared the difference in invested assets after 5 years (the approximate FI point) and divided that by your annual savings. This is just a rough calculation because it ignores compounding in the final months.

So I decided to do a full spreadsheet comparison (attached below as .csv). I came up with a 5.4 month difference assuming a 7% [post-inflation] investment return. The lower the assumed investment return the longer the difference will be. Also assumes that your increase in gas costs is the only increased cost. If you factor in increased maintenance/repair costs it will delay FI by longer.