Author Topic: Help Me Figure Out Where to Cut Back on My Crazy $11,000 Monthly Spending Budget  (Read 15087 times)

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
Glad it was helpful! Lavish is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I'm coming at this from a much lower income background, so to me your lifestyle does seem really extravagant and you have a lot of spending categories I don't have (i.e. to you two used cars, even a hybrid and a lexus seems modest, but I don't have a car, and when I did it was a shared $3k clunker and driving was limited by a low gas budget). That said, I don't doubt that you're modest spenders compared to many high earning people around you.

It just depends on what you want to do and how you want to live and what your time is worth. I think the fact that you spend $11k a month, and still feel like you don't have a particularly extravagant lifestyle is quite telling. Objectively, your spending is extravagant. Your spending is $132k a year, and if that were your entire salary your earnings would be in the top 5% of the USA, in other words your spending alone is higher than 95% of incomes in the country. An au pair (I know that's going away, but will that money be saved or spent elsewhere?), private pre-k, remodeling, vacations, two cars, a pricy house, paid activities, luxe groceries and shopping, nearly $300 a month just for restaurants, pest control, snow plowing, new furniture, etc. is luxury living to most people, but you've adapted to it so now it's just standard.

I didn't mean to be all doom and gloom about your FIRE prospects, and I seriously admire your earning ability, but from where I sit it looks as though very little of your budget is optimized other than not having cable and driving used cars. Your enormous income is allowing you to do all this and still save money, giving you a feeling of reasonable frugality, but if the general approach you have doesn't change I think your life will get more expensive because of the precedent you're setting. Your kids will eat more and have more opinions on what they eat, their activity options will get way more expensive (will they do traveling sports, go to specialty summer camps, have one-on-one lessons or tutoring?), will they get name brand clothing for school?, will they have the newest gadgets?, will they be gifted cars when they're old enough?

I acknowledge that we're in very different boats life-wise, but I really appreciate how open you are to comparing notes and taking all the face punches with ease! :)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
This was mentioned before, but I'll reiterate.

Your stash at retirement is 25x expenses (excluding the P&I of your mortgage)...
... then add your remaining mortgage.

So if the $4500/month in retirement figure quoted earlier was correct, then lets say you retire with $300k left on the morgage? You need 300 x 4500 + 300k = $1.65M.

If we use your $8k/month, but reduce that by $2k to account for the P&I payment, then you're at $2.1M...

He also pointed out, that $8k does NOT include tax burden, so that's worth noting.

OP, have you played with the Case Study spreadsheet? There are some very useful tools in there. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/how-to-write-a-'case-study'-topic/ Spreadsheet is linked in that first post.

So OP, what's your math like? How much do you have to be saving every month, and therefore spending every month, to hit your goal in 7 years?

It looks like we'd have to save about $4,000 more a month or so to get there.  Or spending of roughly $7,000 per month.  Now actually we won't be THAT far off in three years when our youngest goes to kindergarten.  But we'd have to start that today to get there.

Be sure not to forget expected market gains =) (Related: what's you asset allocation like? That'll influence what to expect for returns). Once you have that spending number, then you have a pretty solid number to know how much to cut! That helps you get into the specific goal/specific numbers mindset, rather than just, "this seems high". You have a big shovel and good assets, if you play it right, 7 years *should* be completely doable.

Frankly though? From what you're saying, I'm not sure the au pair actually is your cheapest option over other care. Feeding her, housing her, wear and tear on your cars, gas, then the more obvious numbers... that'll add up! You've added another adult to your household you're completely bankrolling.

We are about 80% equities, 15% bonds, 5% Gold for asset allocation. 

I'm sure the Au Pair is more than we think but the absolute cheapest childcare option in my area is $7 an hour per kid.  And that's a place I'd REALLY rather not send them too.  That's about $2,750 per month instead of the $1,800 per month including the agency fee.  I doubt we are spending more than $950 a month on her food, gas, car depreciation and insurance, and increased utility costs, BUT it's probably closer than I might think.  But if you compare it to an actual decent child care place, that's probably closer to $3,200 minimum which makes the Au Pair seem even more economical.

Fair, you definitely would know childcare prices/options in your area better than I do! It's just one of those things that's it's good to know the real cost of something. Particularly where you should modify. Like her driving, it isn't just gas, it's wear on your vehicles. You say a big repair comes up every year, right? (For one, going for a less luxury brand than lexus would help cut cost of repairs, but that's something to keep in mind at replacement time). She's putting a lot of miles and wear and tear on the cars for personal use. Compare her mileage to the IRS rate. 54.5 cents per mile for business use. At 60 miles each way every week, that's an extra $65.40/week. $261.60 per month. Obviously having her drive for kids activities and such is expected, and don't nickel and dime her to death, but 60 miles away to see friends on a regular basis is bonkers IMO.

The other thing I would caution is assuming once your wife gets the renovations she has in mind right now, that the costs for those will stop. That has never been the case in any family that does the "reno game". First it's the renos. Then it's the landscaping. Then the furniture is out of date. Then they want a swimming pool or an addition. Then the kitchen wasn't done all that great in the first place, and we need to replace the counters, but while we're at it shouldn't we just do the whole thing anyway? On and on. Spending becomes a HABIT. There's a reason the hedonic treadmill is something that keeps moving. https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/22/what-is-hedonic-adaptation-and-how-can-it-turn-you-into-a-sukka/ and https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/09/18/is-it-convenient-would-i-enjoy-it-wrong-question/

Not really.  Lexus = Toyota.

I don't like the "pull perks from au pair" plan at all.  They're making $200/week. That's not much -- imagine your employer taking a perk away from you that's valued at 30% of your salary.  That's a great way to ruin a relationship.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
I don't know how pre-K works; how many hours a day/week are the kids there?

You can choose different schedules but ours is five days a week.  8:30 - 1. It's also basically the cheapest one in town for that schedule.

I'm sure the Au Pair is more than we think but the absolute cheapest childcare option in my area is $7 an hour per kid.  And that's a place I'd REALLY rather not send them too.  That's about $2,750 per month instead of the $1,800 per month including the agency fee.  I doubt we are spending more than $950 a month on her food, gas, car depreciation and insurance, and increased utility costs, BUT it's probably closer than I might think.  But if you compare it to an actual decent child care place, that's probably closer to $3,200 minimum which makes the Au Pair seem even more economical.

How does your math work? It sounds like you are paying for two different people/organizations to look after your kids at the same time of the day? Or do you work shifts, so you need the aupair to look after the kids evenings and weekends? It doesn't sound like that, since she spends her evening visiting friends?

You already pay for childcare 0830-1300. If you add some other child care from 1300 to 1700, that is four hours a day. I get that to be around $1200/month? Less if you are able to optimize mornings and afternoons. Not all employers are that flexible, but when our kids were small, DH and I would work alternate schedules; one of us went to work early in the morning, while the other got the kids to kindergarten around 0900. The one who started early, left to pick up the kids at 1500. Since your wife is able to work from home, maybe her work is flexible enough to find some sort of similar solution?

I get the comfort factor of having an extra adult to help out in the house. But I struggle to see the math and logic working out.   

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
It's terrific that you are here, and that you recognize that your spending is high.

I spend a lot of money, too - about $7k/month.  We have 2 adults, a 12-year-old the size of an adult, and two normal-sized elementary-school kids.   (Your grocery budget is ridiculous....We were at 800-900/mo when we were spendiest, and that included household stuff and dog food.)

I highly recommend you read Your Money or Your Life.  This was invaluable to me when I was starting to question our spending but unsure where to even start cutting.  It helps you look in a different way at your spending to decide if it's right for you.  (In may case, the "misc crap at Walmart" category went down to near 0 almost overnight.)

After that, it's a matter of prioritization.  I have about $20k in renovations I want to do to my house.  They've been on the list for 3 years....and they will be on the list for a few more years, because we have other priorities for discretionary funds.  We've compromised by allocating $1k/year and focusing on smaller projects- repainted the downstairs, new vanity in the half bath, new floor in the kids' bathroom (boys....enough said). 

I LOVE vacations.  Because my husband has been in school and not working, we've been taking a big vacation ($5k) every other year, and a small vacation (<$1k) in the other years.  (This works for us because our family lives close by.)

You can't have ALL of the things exactly when you want them and still retire really early.  You can have ALL of the things exactly when you want them and retire a few years after that.  And that's okay....

It really will come down to your priorities and your wife's.

red_pill

• Bristles
Consider that your kids will grow up and see this level of spending as the standard and it might make things hard for them when they head out on their own to reconcile their upbringing with the lower incomes they will have starting out. You don't mention continuing to support them in your retirement so I don't think you are planning on providing them that financial support to maintain the lifestyle they grew up in.

@marcela - this is profound. I had never considered this before. You’ve made my head spin with this!   Great post!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
I don't like the "pull perks from au pair" plan at all.  They're making $200/week. That's not much -- imagine your employer taking a perk away from you that's valued at 30% of your salary.  That's a great way to ruin a relationship.

To be clear, I wasn't saying 'pull all perks from the au pair'. I want OP to look critically at his line items, and challenge his assumptions that some things are the cheapest/best/only ways to do things. I just find it interesting that an au pair is the "most affordable option really", when it only ever seems to be very high spenders around here who have them. If the numbers penciled out so well, wouldn't more people use them instead of daycare? Not just $125k/yr budget types?

I want him to run numbers and if his assumption that an au pair was the cheapest option is wrong, look into changing care at the next available opportunity (school year/contract up/whatever). Or, negotiate differently with the next au pair that comes in, since my understanding is they usually change yearly? I certainly don't advocate leaving anyone high and dry.

red_pill

• Bristles
$9,000 per year for the au pair agency is crazy high. We pay $1,000 per placement. Maybe the visa requirements are different there, but finding an au pair is something lots of people do completely on their own. Have you ever looked into that? There are websites devoted to it, Facebook groups for it, and there’s always lots of au pairs already in country who are looking for a different family.   Boy, if you can use a cheaper agency or do it yourself that’s $9K in your pocket!  That’d be huge!

As for JLee comment about pulling perks, I think that that much driving goes beyond a perk and into excessive territory. (The $500 bonus is a perk).  It’s also important to realize that au pairs are not traditional employees - they are there as a live in cultural experience and are essentially a member of the family. The relationship is far beyond employer-employee.  But that doesn’t mean it’s carte Blanche. If you’d expect your teenager to pay for gas for that much driving, then it’s not off side to expect the au pair to. We have found that a good relationship with an au pair is based on clear expectations and boundaries. Throughout the year those boundaries need to be nudged into the right fit.. Mind you, if the expectation was never made clear than it’s not really her fault.  I’d suggest depending on how long she’s been with you that you should rein that in.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:20:23 PM by red_pill »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
$9,000 per year for the au pair agency is crazy high. We pay $1,000 per placement. Maybe the visa requirements are different there, but finding an au pair is something lots of people do completely on their own. Have you ever looked into that? There are websites devoted to it, Facebook groups for it, and there’s always lots of au pairs already in country who are looking for a different family.   Boy, if you can use a cheaper agency or do it yourself that’s $9K in your pocket!  That’d be huge!

As for JLee comment about pulling perks, I think that that much driving goes beyond a perk and into excessive territory. (The $500 bonus is a perk).  It’s also important to realize that au pairs are not traditional employees - they are there as a live in cultural experience and are essentially a member of the family. The relationship is far beyond employer-employee.  But that doesn’t mean it’s carte Blanche. If you’d expect your teenager to pay for gas for that much driving, then it’s not off side to expect the au pair to. We have found that a good relationship with an au pair is based on clear expectations and boundaries. Throughout the year those boundaries need to be nudged into the right fit.. Mind you, if the expectation was never made clear than it’s not really her fault.  I’d suggest depending on how long she’s been with you that you should rein that in.

Paying for gas is much different than paying current IRS deprecation/expense rates on a 10yo+ car.

cats

• Handlebar Stache

To be clear, I wasn't saying 'pull all perks from the au pair'. I want OP to look critically at his line items, and challenge his assumptions that some things are the cheapest/best/only ways to do things. I just find it interesting that an au pair is the "most affordable option really", when it only ever seems to be very high spenders around here who have them. If the numbers penciled out so well, wouldn't more people use them instead of daycare? Not just $125k/yr budget types?

I want him to run numbers and if his assumption that an au pair was the cheapest option is wrong, look into changing care at the next available opportunity (school year/contract up/whatever). Or, negotiate differently with the next au pair that comes in, since my understanding is they usually change yearly? I certainly don't advocate leaving anyone high and dry.

We've also vaguely considered the au pair option and the big expense (and the reason not everyone uses them in my area, I would guess), is the extra housing you are paying for.  Whatever number of bedrooms is the comfortable minimum for your actual family, now you have to add one.  So instead of 2 bedrooms, you need 3, instead of 3 bedrooms, you need 4, etc.  In my (crazy, HCOL) area, the difference between a 2 and 3 bedroom is easily several hundred thousand dollars, so you are adding another thousand dollars or so to the monthly mortgage budget, plus the extra utilities for heating/cooling the space, the extra maintenance costs, extra furniture, etc.  The au pair alone is quite affordable if you have 2 or more kids, but since you can't stick your au pair in a tent in the backyard or in the same room as you or your kids...it's not so cheap.  There's also a limit on how many hours the au pair can work per day/week so I think it's quite common for people who have them to also pay for some additional regular childcare.

Now, if you live in an area where large houses are the norm and it's either really hard to find a smaller house or massively more expensive per square foot, then maybe the au pair isn't costing you much extra in house after all, as you'd probably be stuck with more house than you strictly need anyway.

As far as the overall budget goes...it sounds to me like the key first step is getting the wife onboard with FIRE or at least the value of a higher savings rate.  I would echo the suggestion of reading Your Money or Your Life, maybe together.  I see quite a bit of stuff in your budget that my husband and I just DON'T spend money on (going out to eat for our anniversary or V-day, spending $400 on kids birthday parties, multiple flying vacations each year), but I think we would have a really hard time trimming out those expenses if we weren't both on board with living a more frugal lifestyle and if we didn't both view things like going out as more of an expense/hassle than as a treat, or if we didn't both enjoy doing local camping vacations.  So the big thing you can do is work on recruiting your wife to a savings/FIRE mindset. 

In the meantime, I would also suggest looking at your budget and seeking out the areas where YOU are the one driving the spending, or where you could easily take over the spending (and associated work) from your wife. For example, you could offer to take over more of the grocery shopping and meal planning. My husband took over most of the meal planning for our family last year and it was SUCH a weight off my shoulders--he was just able to break it down in a way that I hadn't and it makes the whole process much easier.  I still do parts of the cooking but it's overall much more manageable and I am a much happier and less stressed person for it.  I would say also that it is time to get your kids off those pouches, but that if you are leaving most of the feeding/meal planning to your wife, you can't expect her to get the kids off pouches because that's just creating work for her.  So you need to take the lead on finding some other easy/healthy but cheaper foods that your kids will eat.  Mine eats a lot of frozen peas, cucumber slices, steamed broccoli, hard boiled eggs, pretty much any whole fruit, oatmeal, etc.  I am a freak who thinks pouches come straight from the devil so we don't do those, the end.  Do some research on clean 15/dirty dozen and decide whether you really need to buy "mostly" organic or if you can cut back.  Figure out some easy and cheap vegetarian meals you can make in the slow cooker or pressure cooker.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:06:19 AM by cats »

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
May not be relevant,

But I worry that a spouse who insists on private preschool, and a family who is used to the best childcare, will suddenly decide the probably amazing public schools are not good enough for the kids.  I could be wrong, but I'd make sure in your planning that your wife isn't thinking those costs would automatically roll over to private K-12 school. 

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
Hey, we have a lifestyle similar to yours, and two children that are probably similar in age.  We're also the same age, and our take home is slightly lower than yours.  One thing that has really helped me is to realize that small cuts add up when you have larger things that are harder to do something about.  Let me share some of our progress based on some numbers I have tracked in our spreadsheet.

Groceries - before MMM we were averaging $2000 a month on groceries, restaurants, alcohol, and household supplies.  (The breakdown was roughly $600 groceries, $700 restaurants, and $700 of untracked Target and Amazon spending)
First, it was very helpful to me to "pool" the expenses to see that actually, this was a HUGE chunk of spending.  In your case study, I see $1550 food and dining, $75 of special occasions, $75 of entertaining, and $150 of household supplies, bringing this category to $1850 total.  That's a lot!
We were able to cut this category in half just by being mindful and aligning our purchases with what brought us the most enjoyment.
Things we did:
-Moved a lot of meals away from home to meals at home or packed lunches
-Piloted a "date night at home" concept where we do something special after bedtime, eliminating the need for babysitting and an expensive restaurant.  It's been a huge success!
-Done some replacements, like reusable handiwipes to cut back on paper towels, and keeping a stack of baby washclothes by the sink for kid cleanups.
-Started tracking the Amazon and Target purchases, and there was a ton of dead weight in there.  I've pared way back in this area by switching to Target subscriptions for household items to keep us out of the stores.
-Periodically reevaluating where we can save more.

Clothing - I don't have a "pre" number tracked, but we have cut back here!  I started using the Smart Closet app to better plan my purchases and be able to "shop my closet" for things to complete an outfit.  For kids' clothes, we have been shopping almost exclusively secondhand, at Once Upon a Child, Swap.com, and threadup.com.  Really great stuff to be had!

Personal care seems high to me.  Are you and the kids going to "salons" instead of say, a barbershop?  My wife and I both get haircuts every 3-6 months, which keeps costs down.  I also have cut my own hair in the past, but you need a certain spirit of adventurousness.

I actually think your childcare expenses look pretty reasonable.  Even with the paid preschool (and I know that unless you're in Boston, you don't have access to universal public pre-k) you pay much less than we do for two kids with full time care.  I disagree with those saying to take perks from the Au Pair - I think keeping her happy is a #1 priority.  FWIW, we pay $3300 for a young toddler and a preschooler in full time daycare.

Since we've started making a concerted effort at our budget, we have cut our spending by an average of $2k a month.  It has come mainly from the food/restaurants/household supplies/household goods categories, with a strong supporting role for paid babysitting since we're doing date nights at home.  We also learned how to travel hack, which has saved us thousands.

Good luck to you - I am excited to follow your story.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
Can your wife compromise on the pre-k? Like 2 or 3 days a week instead of 5? 5 days a week is practically full time daycare on top of the au pair. I'm in Southern NH, but I pay approx $2k per year for 3 day pre-k.  Additionally,  does your au pair take the kids to any activities/events, like library story time, play groups, etc? Maybe your wife would settle for 3 days pre-k and then two days of some other somewhat structured play group/story time type of thing?

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
You have some great suggestions from the other posters about how to cut the big stuff out of your budget.  I skipped ahead because you mentioned $50 in fruit pouches.  I have a bunch of the zipper bottom refillable ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Squooshi-Reusable-Pouch-Large-Pouches/dp/B00HPD4V1Y

Just buy some in season fruit and veg (my daughter loves a banana, frozen strawberry, yogurt, and veg - spinach or carrots usually - smoothie) and dump it in the pouch.  Or applesauce if you're on the go and it can't be refridgerated.  Or you could freeze them solid and they should withstand a short trip out and stay cold, just don't overfill and freeze or the end will burst.  They're great if you have kids who can't use cups well.  Otherwise, just make a smoothie with veggies and put it in a cup. 

See, I just saved you $30 per month!

Your budget is getting hammered from both ends.  The big life decisions (kids, nice house, etc) are set up to be very expensive and with all of the work you do to support those you are spending on lots of little, unnecessary things, like fruit pouches.  Just start examining everything and chipping away at it and eventually you will have some space in your budget that can be directed to future you.

RockinLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
So, I haven't scolled through everyone's comments - but ditch
the disposable pouches.  We got some refillable ones and just use apple sauce, yogurt, etc.  You can even run them through the dishwasher!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

RockinLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
You have some great suggestions from the other posters about how to cut the big stuff out of your budget.  I skipped ahead because you mentioned $50 in fruit pouches.  I have a bunch of the zipper bottom refillable ones.

Just buy some in season fruit and veg (my daughter loves a banana, frozen strawberry, yogurt, and veg - spinach or carrots usually - smoothie) and dump it in the pouch.  Or applesauce if you're on the go and it can't be refridgerated.  Or you could freeze them solid and they should withstand a short trip out and stay cold, just don't overfill and freeze or the end will burst.  They're great if you have kids who can't use cups well.  Otherwise, just make a smoothie with veggies and put it in a cup. 

Your budget is getting hammered from both ends.  The big life decisions (kids, nice house, etc) are set up to be very expensive and with all of the work you do to support those you are spending on lots of little, unnecessary things, like fruit pouches.  Just start examining everything and chipping away at it and eventually you will have some space in your budget that can be directed to future you.
Ha! 

Allie

• Handlebar Stache

Ha! 

I know right?  Single use pouches? 

I'd love for the op to look around his house and see how many other little things are just ridiculous.  A huge amount of plastic waste and money for half a cup of fruit and veggie purée.  I still spend way too much money, but a while ago I joined up here and I looked around and was amazed by how much I was spending on what was, essentially, trash.  New clothes the kids would outgrown in a couple months.  Food I would just throw away and it's packaging.  Household stuff that would be ditched in a few weeks or months.  Things that replaced other things I already had.  I was about to buy a coffee grinder and realized I was buying a fourth kitchen appliance that chops things with blades and a motor.  Wtf?

Ok, I'm getting preachy.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Ok, I'm getting preachy.

Ha, yes I'm debating a little "get off my lawn" rant. Grew up in a household of 6... once my dad built a new kitchen by hand and remodeled a bit, we had 3 bedrooms. All the boys shared a bedroom. We had one bathroom. We managed to eat food without pouches. I don't think they existed then, but I could just be oblivious. We managed to get nutrition and education without extreme convenience foods or private attention. By the time we were 8, we were helping go out to get firewood, load it in a wagon and put it in the basement. We also helped weed the huge garden and feed the beef steer. We did not own iPads.

I realize that modern conveniences and improvements to the standard of living are good things. But every once in a while, I'm reminded of how much we've "adapted" to things that literally did not exist 20-30 years ago, but now we can't imagine not having them. Anyway, this is reasonably off topic, but I'm reminded of Michael Pollan's advice on healthy eating... would your great grand-mother recognize this as food? Similarly, would they have "needed" such-and-such to live a happy life? (Hint: it didn't exist, so no!)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:37:42 PM by neo von retorch »

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
Hi there.  Another big spender here (compared to many in this forum, but small spender compared to my colleagues).  I won't say how much we spend monthly, though.  You are braver than I.

Some ideas for incremental change instead of cold turkey on various things:

1.  Use credit card points to buy gift cards to use for special dinners out and other entertainment expenses.  Since you already pay the au pair to provide child care, this can make those date nights feel 'free' without cutting them entirely.

2.  If your kids are really picky with food, work your way slowly from the fruit pouches to whole fruit.  For example:  Start with the make-your-own pouches.  Start making applesauce at home (super easy) to use in said pouches.  Move on to offering applesauce to kids at home in bowls.  Make the applesauce more and more chunky.  Start serving chopped apples in bowls.  Move to home-sliced apple sticks, then apple slices, then *ta-da* whole apples.  This can be done over a month and without too much difficulty or upset from anyone.  Add in clementines, which most kids love.  And grapes, etc.  Now your kids are eating real fruit!  (If your kids aren't that picky, go right for grapes, which are essentially bags of sugar anyway.)  If your kids are used to getting snack bag sized treats of, say, veggie straws, move to getting the big bag and portioning them out into ziplocs.  Then cut back slowly on the veggie straws b/c they're really not great (ahem, speaking to myself here).

3.  Cut any expenses that are purely your own to control rather than imposing limits on others in your household first.  Do you buy a lot of books on Amazon?  Start visiting the library for your own reading.  Take the kids with--they'll love it (most kids love the library), and maybe your spouse will join one day, too.  Offer to take over the laundry and start line-drying.  Manage the thermostat yourself.  Start doing your own pest control and minor home repairs (consult youtube).  Buy your own clothes at Goodwill (then add in the kids' clothes).  Small savings percentage-wise, but your spouse might appreciate your extra efforts with the kids and the house and limiting your personal spending and you will have a bit of a mind-shift.  You will also sound like less of a scold than if you try to tell her to do these things herself while doing nothing yourself.

4.  Definitely don't start limiting your current au pair's benefits, but if you switch up the au pair (if the contract ends) then consider being less generous with the car for the next one (60 mile trips three times a week is a lot).  And use all the hours of au pair time you are allotted.  My friends who have au pairs or who were au pairs have said that "light housekeeping" was expected, which included doing the kids' laundry and keeping the kitchen clean.  Especially for families where both parents work and the kids are school-age and the au pair's time will not be exhausted during the day just on childcare.  Other friends use the time for night time babysitting for their date nights.

5.  Talk to your spouse now about whether she would be open to moving to a smaller house once the kids are in school and you no longer "need" the extra bedroom for the au pair (a debatable point, as I've been told by friends that it's easier to keep the au pair than arrange for aftercare and pickups when both parents have work hours that end after 6pm).  It's worth testing those waters.  You might mention that you could cash in on your equity at that point by moving to a smaller (cheaper) house and pad your investments to make your FI date come sooner.  Smaller house usually equals smaller RE taxes and HOI as well as a smaller mortgage.  Maybe you could find a smaller house that is "done" and needs less renovating??

6.  Ask your kids if they enjoy the activities that they are in.  If they are, fine, maybe keep them.  If they are not, consider dropping one or several.  I made the mistake of thinking that my kids should try every activity offered at their montessori.  One year I spent over $4,000 on my older two because they were in (oh, I'm embarrassed to list them all but here goes): French, Mandarin, basketball, soccer, karate, piano lessons, swimming, and dance (for the younger) and Spanish (for the older).  For the record, neither of them learned swimming that summer--we had to do that separately again later.  Neither of them remembers any of the French or Mandarin (except some of the French alphabet and how to say hello and thank you in Mandarin--which they probably learned from Ni Hao Kai Lan).

7.  Give your spouse monthly reports on household spending without judgment.  "We spent $11,000 this past month."  Next month (after you do some of your own cutting, "We spent $10,500 this month--down $500 from last month!"  Start to get her used to thinking of how much money goes out each month.  It's easy to ignore the total and only think of the one "extra" item we bought for ourselves, and she might be doing that and thinking "but I don't spend anything, it's not in my control."  Maybe she'll ask for the breakdown, maybe not.  Giving her the monthly report is a way to bring reality to her without making a big deal of it or laying blame. 

I will say that I relate in one way:  my spouse (though quite thrifty) has very little interest in FIRE.  That's all me.  So it's hard to convince him to limit his spending to achieve a goal that is not his.  But when I make the effort to control my own spending without telling him he should spend less at Home Depot, he seems to follow suit.  When I make the effort to say "you know, let's eat in tonight instead of ordering out--how about I make XYZ"--he is more likely to say yes than if I say "what should we do for dinner tonight?"  Or if I frame it in terms of health: "You know, I find I eat better and I eat less when we eat at home--let's not get chinese this weekend--will you make your delicious homemade egg-fried rice?"

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Not to harp on the pouches...
If you aren't going to go disposable pouch- do you have an Aldi?  Their organic pouches are 79 cents. That's more than 25% discount from your $1.09 pouches.

(I do like them for "crap- I've run out of things to feed her!" emergencies, so we use about 3 a week.  This is after I run through all the various foods in the fridge. I don't use the reusable, because we feed the stuff you'd put in them out of a bowl, we don't eat on the go yet. So I like the long term storage, no thought aspect of them.)

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
I'm hoping you're wrong about future expenses rising.  I mean I see a reduction of spending of about $2,000 a month in three years, from daycare savings alone.  Then, also our gas budget, groceries, utilities, insurance, car repairs should go down as well as soon as the Au Pair leaves. 

The reason they're talking about future expenses rising instead of going down is that you're not making any plans to get off the treadmill, you're just hoping that things will change instead of making plans for them to change. Sure, you're not going to have daycare and the au pair, but what about dance lessons, sports, music lessons and instruments, school trips, after school care, transportation to and from all these activities, plus on-the-go meals for nights when you aren't getting home till after 8pm? And what about when they kids themselves are old enough to start learning to drive? That's more insurance, and possibly more cars + maintenance. None of that is accounted for or projected.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
I'm hoping you're wrong about future expenses rising.  I mean I see a reduction of spending of about $2,000 a month in three years, from daycare savings alone.  Then, also our gas budget, groceries, utilities, insurance, car repairs should go down as well as soon as the Au Pair leaves. 

The reason they're talking about future expenses rising instead of going down is that you're not making any plans to get off the treadmill, you're just hoping that things will change instead of making plans for them to change. Sure, you're not going to have daycare and the au pair, but what about dance lessons, sports, music lessons and instruments, school trips, after school care, transportation to and from all these activities, plus on-the-go meals for nights when you aren't getting home till after 8pm? And what about when they kids themselves are old enough to start learning to drive? That's more insurance, and possibly more cars + maintenance. None of that is accounted for or projected.

Yes, I had big plans for the savings I'd get when my oldest stopped going to day care.  She's 12 now...and I spend about the old daycare amount on private lessons for her French horn (required because she's in band at school and has a school-owned instrument) and club volleyball (because she begged and I'm a sucker).  We spend at least $500/mo on direct costs just for her activities, which is insane. School supplies/fees are another $30-50/month.  Then there's gas for the tournaments.  There used to be a lot of pricey convenience foods, but now I do a lot of meal planning and advance cooking to get around the fact that we aren't home long on a lot of evenings or weekends.

The youngest has one more year of day care, and I foresee the current day care amount getting sucked up with fees for math club trips and robotics summer camps, etc.

We chose to cut back in other areas of our budget and indulge the kids with certain activities.  The key was that we did cut back.  For example, I have spent $0 on clothes so far this year, which I did not think I could do.  We're still working on cutting.

However, I refuse to start thinking about oldest kid driving.  If I bury my head in the sand long enough, it won't happen, right?

red_pill

• Bristles
@Jadambomb - any progress this week?

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have had to explain to my husband that we don't actually have that much money as he thought when he wanted to rebuild our previous house.
- we still need to save for two college funds
- we don't have enough money saved for retirement
- we need an emergency fund should we loose an income.
- we need a fund to replace cars, electronics, heating system etc etc when it breaks down.
- when I would live in the US, I would have a medical emergency fund too.

He understood and was a bit shocked, he went in to saving mode.

The banks were really happy we had nice savings, equity and funds when we needed a mortgage. They deducted almost all our savings from the price of the house and would only lend us the rest.
So I now have a monthly mortgage that is lower than the rent for a nice room for a student and we still have to pump money into the rebuild this fixer upper needs. The idea is that this is our last mortgage but I would have placed that money in good products next time. Lending money with our equity would cost approximately  €900 in fees (mandatory financial advisor fee, taxation of the house and notary), partly tax deductible but stil, we rather not.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Just another two "small" things that no one has pointed out yet:

4. Home Supplies (TP, Papertowels, batteries, cleaning supplies) - $150
5. Lawn & Garden (One fall cleanup, a few bags of organic fertilizer.  I do everything else myself) - $50

$2400/year worth of spending there just on TP and lawn care. I know in the grand scheme of things this is just a tiny thing, but your problem is that you just spend too much on so many tiny things.

Say you use a family sized pack of TP every month ($15) a large pack of paper towels ($5) a roll of thrash bags ($5) a bottle of fancy cleaning liquid a week (4 x $3) and a pack of batteries every month ($4).  That seems to me like a very generous amount of supplies for a family of 5, and that's still about 1/3 of your budget. I don't even personally use half of that stuff - I've never really understood why people would use paper towels, for example.

$50/month on lawn care seems a bit excessive too. Say a bag of organic fertilizer is $35. How many of them do you need?

These are just a few examples. None of your expenses seem that unreasonable on first sight, but if you look closer there's plenty of room to cut back.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
Regarding your patio, know that a lot of people don't spend a lot of time on their patio.  There was a study of Life at Home in the 21st Century that showed that kitchens and bathrooms were the big bang for the buck in remodeling.  Outdoor kitchens and fancy backyards just don't get used from a standpoint of where people spend time in their homes.  So maybe you don't have to go fancy with your patio.  Or maybe you can significantly delay or downscale your plans for that.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
Also, our kid costs are going up. I stay home with my kids and work part time, but I feel like my job pays for the extras, which are pricey --- my youngest started trumpet with a private teacher, he started hockey, equipment and lessons and league fees, plus gas and food, etc, my oldest has therapy, and I see more expenses coming up if my kids excel -- if my youngest becomes skilled at trumpet or hockey, the costs to be in a select team or band are a lot more. 

Then we just have the family outings, which we love, 5 people out for mini golf and dinner for a family date night, museum memberships, etc.  It is a lot of luxury spending.

hippywithaheartofsteel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
you spend 11,000 dollars a month and your assistant bonus is around 420 dollars? Not a recommendation to cut, but seems a little disproportionate.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: household goods. I'm assuming OP is including diapers in household supplies? I don't remember if he stated ages of the children, but it sounds likely one or both are still in diapers.

Earlybirdretirement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've only skimmed all the replies, so I hope this brings a different idea.
I also live with crazy expensive childcare, one way we've brought it down is to do nanny-share.  It brings it down about a 1/3 as you'll pay the au pair more (win for her) and brings some of the social interaction that your wife wants.
Also, I assume au pair means that she lives with you?  I could be wrong on this, but if that's the case it means you would probably be comfortable renting it out after she moves out for extra income.  Or if your wife likes to manage small projects, maybe you have enough space to add a tiny house and earn income from that as well.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
So, looking through your expenses some more, some other ideas on where to cut:

Cars: can you get a better insurance rate?  What kind of coverage do you have? With the replacement fund, how often are you planning to replace a car?  Looks like maybe every 4-5 years?  Are you actually having a car die on you that often or are you guilty of upgrading?  You mention you work quite close to home--is it possible for you to plan on eventually going down to one car or at least using one car much less? 

Bills/Utilities: I would question whether you really NEED Hulu.  Yes, it's only $8/month but with two young kids and two jobs, how much time to you really have to veg out?  My husband and I really only watch TV/movies on Friday and Saturday evening, during the week it is just a recipe for staying up too late and sleeping poorly.  So we make do with whatever is free on the internet and our library streaming service (which has all sorts of quirky/obscure movies).

Entertainment: Scale back on the parties.  I find that throwing parties is actually not that much fun for the host--you are too busy organizing to actually hang out with your guests.  I prefer to have 1-2 families over for a casual brunch, less effort and expense, more time actually connecting with other people.  And, you do not need to go out to dinner for special occasions.  Cook something fancy or splurge on a dessert from your favorite bakery to enjoy at home, after the kids are in bed.

Amazon Prime: You should not be buying enough stuff on Amazon for this to be worthwhile.

Food & Dining: Limit liquor/alcohol to the weekends, less convenience food, and learn to shop sales or cook with ingredients that are consistently on the cheaper end of the spectrum.  Things like berries, steak, fancy salad mixes, deli meats should all be occasional foods, not staples.  Eat more of things like carrots, cabbage, bananas, oranges, lentils, oatmeal, cheaper cuts of meat, etc.  Why are you going out to a restaurant with young kids?  This sounds like hell.  Keep a few frozen pizzas in the fridge instead.

Gifts: You and your wife need to agree to stop gifting each other stuff.  For kids birthdays, many of the parties we go to explicitly say "no gift".  If there is uncertainty, I will admit to re-gifting something that has been gifted to our kid (just make sure the recipient didn't give it to you in the first place!). 

Home: I think everyone else has covered this one--you need to get your wife on board with a reduced rate of upgrades.  Long term, consider whether it might make sense to downgrade once you no longer have an au pair.

Kids: The activities and supplies numbers aren't insane but could probably be trimmed a bit given the current ages.  Do some research on what sort of stuff is available for free or low-cost in your area.  Our local library has a great program where you can get free or discount passes to the zoo, children's museums, etc.  That plus things like library storytime, a few local parks, and playdates with other kids keeps our toddler quite busy.

Personal Care: Dry cleaning, mani/pedi, and birchbox all stand out as things that could be cut....but that are probably going to have to be your wife's decision

Travel: figure out travel hacking or trade some of those flying vacations to local camping trips.

When talking to your wife, if they idea of FIRE seems unachievable to too distant, how about starting with pitching it as simply wanting more options or financial security for your family.  What if, when your kid starts school, it turns out the public school system is not for them and you want the option of home-schooling for a year or two (or you just want to have more time available to advocate for them within the school system).  What if the next recession hits and one of you gets laid off?  What if one of you develops health problems and can't work as much?  None of these may be highly likely, but it's worth talking to your wife about how you would deal with them financially and how you would adjust spending to adapt to each of these scenarios.  Right now it sounds like you probably really need both of your incomes to maintain your current lifestyle.  This is a recipe for vulnerability.  Personally, it's a point of pride for me that although I earn less than my husband, we don't actually NEED his income to support our current lifestyle.  Talk to your wife about whether it might be feasible for you two to get down to only needing one paycheck and picture how much stress it could potentially remove from your lives.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: household goods. I'm assuming OP is including diapers in household supplies? I don't remember if he stated ages of the children, but it sounds likely one or both are still in diapers.

No, the diapers/kid supplies have their own seperate budget category.

flower_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A few things which stuck out for me.

No income protection or life insurance?

Have you crunched the numbers on whether it would be viable/cheaper/desirable for one of you to stay home as the stay at home parent or even share this, both work part time, both do parenting duties?  You'd eliminate considerable childcare expenses (that $9000 Nanny agency fee seems insane to me, plus wages plus maybe less travel etc?). Just an idea to look at.

As several others have mentioned I think it would be wise to work out with your wife exactly what your goals and financial goals are and then prioritize them.   

A house worth $900,000 plus must be pretty nice already so maybe the renovations could take a back seat for a while.

The $35 bonus seems quite low to me and maybe should be increased?

I agree you could slash and burn  on the consumables but I get the impression you're kind of drifting without any real long term purpose or plan (maybe because your wife and you aren't really clear enough about where you are heading and what you want) but if you had more focus and clarity about where you were going it would help a lot to control this.

Good luck.

freya

• Bristles
The OP's situation sounds exactly like my sister's.  Her spending was very similar to this when her kids were young, down to the frequent house remodels and the parties/entertainment spending.  They were always talking about how frugal they were, and they started out that way but gradually fell into the same lifestyle described here.  Somehow, every time I did anything with them, money would flow like water, not just from them but also from me.

Now the kids are in high school & college, and as others here have observed, the spending has increased massively.  Overseas trips, summer camps, private colleges, Macbooks/iPads/iPhones and cars for everyone.  This past January was the great Hamilton event ($600/ticket/person plus extravagant dinner).  Now they're about to head off on their two-week Cape Cod vacation, while my sister talks constantly about how she's barely able to meet the upcoming tuition bills.  Meanwhile, the kid who is graduating from college next year and talking about medical school has a very thin CV, since all the entertainment & fun hasn't left much room for real work experience.

So I agree with the many posters who said this budget isn't due to any one thing in particular, like the au pair:  it's a mindset problem.  If you want to retire early or at least achieve financial security, the mindset is what has to change, and both you and your wife need to be on board.  Although, one thing did jump out at me that hasn't already been mentioned:  heating costs.  I'd suggest that your next home upgrade should be a gas heater, wood stove, and efficiency improvements like insulation & windows.  Or, if you're not in love with your current house, at least consider moving to a smaller, more efficient home that's walking or easy biking distance to a downtown area.  That's the best way to get cost savings and convenience in one package.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
OP, I want to compliment you on having such a detailed budget in your initial post. Clearly you have a good handle on where you are spending. Well done!

If I were you, I would just pick one-two items per month to optimize. Focus on your own spending first. For example, if you nag about the grocery shopping, but you are not the one doing it and there is no evidence that you are cutting back on things you prioritize for yourself, then you don't come off well complaining about food costs.

Also, kudos for budgeting for the bonus for the admin assistant in your office. Definitely keep that!

like after we do the patio, kitchen, and bathroom, I think she'll be satisfied for a long time. 

Ummm, I hate to burst your bubble here, but that could very well be incorrect.

Interior fashion changes on a fairly short time cycle (~7 years, maybe?) What looks great this year will be thought of as "horribly dated" by people in the real estate industry a decade from now. And it's worse at the high end than at the low end of the spend spectrum. Even if you try to go neutral, the desired look changes. Big beige stone-look square tiles used to be all the rage in high end bathrooms . . . now everyone wants big rectangular gray tiles and beige is out, out, out. Sometimes things stick a little longer  . . . . the stainless steel appliances have lasted longer than I thought they would, for example, but overall the churning of style means that your wife won't stay happy if she is prone to caring about how the house looks.

I've watched many neighbors and my ex-MIL completely rip out and redo extremely nice, high end kitchens and bathrooms due to changing design trends. Even things that they picked themselves with great delight and at great expense, by 7-10 years later they are itching to rip out and do over!

Maybe you are right and she won't do this, but definitely don't take it for granted. Good luck!

Jadambomb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
So many great suggestions.  Since I can't really reply to all of them, some of the things that jumped out at me are:

1. Get my wife on board with FIRE if it's a serious desire.  We talked about it and she's definitely a bit more into it now.  We both realize we are going to have to make sacrifices to get there.
2. Home Improvement costs are a bit crazy.  We talked about this and are definitely reevaluating our future projects.
3. Grocery budget is insane.  We are going to quit those fruit packets cold turkey.  Our kids will adapt and be fine.  And hopefully eat more whole fruits and veggies.  This should save us around $200 a month. We are also going to start doing Costco and generally try to shop smarter.  Not only where we shop but how we shop and what we eat.  We can definitely cut this down a ton. 
4. Pest Control.  We are going to cancel this service and see how it goes.  If we get a massive infestation, we can always call them back.
5. Birchbox - Cancelled. 
6. Guests/Entertainment - No more $400 parties (although the last one was three years ago anyway.) But we hope to cut this budget and stay within the limits.
7. Restaurants - Although we go out slightly less than once a month now, this can easily be cut to every two or three months.  We can even fold this budget into our special occasion budget and cut one out completely.
8. Home Supplies - Definitely seems way too high.  Hopefully Costco will help with this as well.  We can easily cut this budget down to $50 or so. 
9. Daycare - We've priced out nanny shares but the Au Pair is still cheaper even with the agency fee, because we'd need all day care for one, and half day care for the other one.  I know it seems insane, but for other families in this area where both parents work full-time, and who have two or more kids, we pay by far the least for daycare for our kids using the au pair.  Although this doesn't count the pre-k which throws it off.  The weird thing is, the pre-k we use, prices three, four, and five day care all the same to discourage people not putting their kids in full time because they think it has better outcomes.  And the five day option at this one is cheaper than most other pre-k three day options.  This whole budget hurts but we are definitely going to get a huge boost here in three years when the youngest one is in Kindergarten.

Other concerns people had:
1. Our expenses will rise due to kids activities.  I actually am slightly concerned about this and we definitely won't be enrolling them in a lot of those paid activities.  I just looked and my town's school charges $350 a year per sport.  Other activities that charge by the hour or something will definitely be limited.
2. We might send our kids to private school.  Absolutely not.  Neither of us wants that at all.  Our schools are great.
3. Travel.  In actuality we usually fly once a year to my family's place in Kentucky for Thanksgiving.  Besides that we hardly ever travel at all so I'm sure that budget can be cut significantly.
4. My assistant's bonus is too low.  My assistant is shared by three people. I am the least senior person she has, so therefor typically does around two or three hours of work for me, per week.  The other two people really use the rest of her hours so we split her bonus by number of hours per week she dedicates to each of us.  She makes a good salary besides these bonuses, and receives her own bonus from the company, but we all feel we like to compensate her a bit above and beyond.  Her total "over and above" bonus is close to 20X what I personally contribute.  As she does more work for me, her bonus will definitely increase accordingly.
5. Life insurance - we both have this, and it's automatically deducted from our paychecks so I don't really count it here.  We've also priced them out and we are among the lowest cost per dollar per year.

All of these suggestions have been great and I've definitely taken seriously the ones that I think hit the mark and make sense.  I appreciate it.  I've needed some face punches and reality checks to bring it a bit back into line.  It seems like these changes can easily save us hundreds per month or perhaps thousands if we really cut hard.  If we can trim $1,000 per month starting ASAP, that would bring us up to a 31% savings rate instead of our current 24.2%.  Then, once childcare costs drop off in three years, we should be up around 45% savings rate.  And this is all without bonuses.  Typically we make decent bonuses as well which brings our rate up, but I don't include those because they aren't guaranteed.

Again, thank you all.  I'll keep checking back if anyone else has any other ideas.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:43:12 PM by Jadambomb »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
Jadambomb, good job taking all our poking graciously, and thank you for updating us! Please let us know how things develop.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
Jadambomb, just one thing to caution - you've (appropriately) highlighted a whole heap of areas that are ripe for change.  Just make sure whatever changes you make are sustainable.  Mrs Gremlin and I made some dramatic changes several years back that felt (at the time) really restrictive and led to relapse as we felt we were "unfairly penalising ourselves".  We then tried again and incrementally addressed each area over the course of a year.  This worked much better and our expenses are now MUCH lower than when we felt like we were "unfairly penalising ourselves".  Despite that, our quality of life has actually improved.

It's kind of like a diet.  If it's too restrictive too quickly, it's hard to maintain.  But if it becomes habit, you can learn to adapt much more easily and make it completely sustainable.

koopafish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
1. Phone bill- we recently switched to Lunar. Our joint couple bill is now $50ish. That might be much more doable. Lunar is sort of "pay as you go"- 25 cents for unlimited 24 use of each app. So if your wife works from home, she's mostly on wifi. Her bill would not be much. And you can game the system where you choose only one or two apps to use in your free time each day.

2. It seems like "Entertainment" as whole is adding up for you (dining out, date nights, parties, alcohol, tv subscription). One thing that has worked for me is to think to myself, "Ok, I don't have enough time in my life as it is. Of the many, many fun activities that I would love to so right now, which are free or low cost?" That way, you are not depriving yourself of your luxury. You are CHOOSING to do something you really enjoy. The fact that it saves money is merely a bonus. Its a good pyschological trick

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
Thank you for posting this.  I've considered doing a case study but didn't want to put my numbers, which are similar to yours, out there.

For anyone curious about "what kind of house does that buy you?" I bet it's something like this,
5 beds 3 baths 2,820 sqft $998,000.  Excellent school district, one of the smaller/cheaper houses in town, big enough that the au pair has some space and each kid gets his own room.  No public transit to speak of.

As for the home reno's... If you find a way to slow that, let me know.  Even our financial advisor gives my husband The Look and asks if we really need to do MORE work on the house.  We've been in the house 15 years and so far we've done the kitchen, added a bathroom, new roof, solar panels, new deck, sealed the basement.  The last one was the only essential one, but they've all been REALLY NICE.  Now he wants to replace the windows but we had a window guy out who said "Really, you don't need to replace the windows.  You say they stick, you just need to clean the slides.  They're not that old."

If you want a referral on a window guy or a financial advisor to try to rein you in, let me know :-)

You could also try to make it to one of the Boston meetups.  I've never been because I'm out in the 'burbs but it sounds like you're closer in.  Shift your frame of reference from high spending neighbors and coworkers to truly MMM people.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:25:29 PM by RelaxedGal »

caracol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sorry for being a bit late to post this, but I think you could probably reduce your grocery bills by 10%-25% with a little more monitoring, but you have to get all adults in the household on board...which is a different ball game. Go slow. The other thing, if you haven't already done this, is get a second fridge and freezer for the costco stuff. You can find one used or relatively cheap, and they are pretty energy efficient. It'll be a great place to store those sale items, or giant costco frozen fruit bags.

Just pick one thing a month to tackle. Don't take it on all at once. Good luck!

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
@Jadambomb It's great to see you're going to make some changes, congrats! If you ever need any help with food related things (meal planning, how to price out items, cooking, shopping, even grocery list/receipt feedback) let me know! It's basically a sport for me, haha.

LadyMaWhiskers

• Stubble
Your au pair can make fruit-pouch like purée from fruit. There are silicon pouches you can reuse. Those things are murder on a food budget. 1.29 for 40 calories. Anything packaged single-serve is a waste of money. It’s hard with working parents, but with an au pair, it should be doable to get that food budget way doan.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!