Author Topic: Fix my car and keep or trade it in?  (Read 2471 times)

Shrinkydink8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fix my car and keep or trade it in?
« on: March 09, 2023, 12:47:36 PM »
Not sure what to do about my car:

I have a paid-off 2015 Subaru Outback, 162,000 miles.  I love this car, and it's treated me well, but the rear lift gate is busted.  The dealership quoted me $1400 to fix it.  Right now the hatchback is pretty useless unless I have someone else around to help me physically hold it open- it's heavy so it only opens to about halfway.

I commute 10 miles each way to an office job 5 days/week, then 1 day/week I commute 50 miles one way to adjunct teach at a local university.  My husband works 20 miles away in the opposite direction, so for right now, we need 2 cars.

I was given a rough estimate of trade-in value on my car of $7-9,000, but I don't think they took the lift gate problem into consideration.  I imagine that will take the trade-in value down significantly.

I love this car b/c we frequently kayak and camp, so we can easily haul everything we need.  It's our main family car, the one we take on road trips, etc.  The mileage may seem high b/c we take road trips a few times per year and also I'm seeking (hopefully temporary) medical care out of state, we drive about 300 miles to a clinic, about every 6-8 weeks, depending on procedures I need.

I have about $50,000 in various savings accounts that I could pull from to get another car.  I don't need brand new, I would likely get another Outback that's 2-3 years old. From looking at the local dealership website, it looks like brand-new Outbacks are around $35-42,000 and used are $27-29,000.

So, I feel like my options are:

1. Do nothing, live with the busted lift gate- I've been doing this for 6 months.....it's....ok but annoying
2.  Pay to get it repaired, and drive the car until it dies
3.  Trade it in and put anything gained toward a new-to-me car

What would you do?  Used cars are so pricey right now, and I really wonder if I hold off for a few years what the electric options will be.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
Re: Fix my car and keep or trade it in?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 01:13:56 PM »
More information about exactly what is broken would be helpful. From the description you gave, it sounds like the spring loaded struts that assist in lifting the rear gate and then hold it open are broken, but the gate itself is in fine shape?

1) I would not consider replacing a car with only 162k miles on it for that problem. I probably wouldn't even replace out 275k mile '08 Honda Fit for that (see 4)
2) It should not cost $1400 to fix unless a powered automatic lift system? Either way I'd consider getting a second quote from a non dealer.
3) The dealer has a conflict on interest on this quote because they obviously make way more money if you trade the car in. I've watched dealers do this to friends of mine repeatedly. It
4) Another option slightly better than doing nothing is to find a pole just the right size to hold the lift gate open when you need it. I've done that before and it works okay for a while. Personally I would do that over dropping 1400, but I'd try to fix it myself or get a better price before accepting it as the permanent solution.
5) By the numbers you gave you'd be dropping 20k plus to solve a 1400 dollar problem with another used vehicle and as much as 35K for a new one. Unless there is something else wrong with the car that doesn't make sense to me.

Shrinkydink8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 01:54:41 PM »
I'll try my best since I don't know much about cars.  I think the problem is just with the lifting mechanism; the gate itself seems fine.  I was told that there are 2 parts that would need replacing to get the liftgate back into working condition.  Yes, it's an automatic lift gate.  It's very heavy to lift physically since it just wants to close on its own.

I'll see if I can get estimates from other repair shops. 

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 02:08:54 PM »
My 2005 outback liftgate has broken twice in the 80k miles I've had it.  I fixed it myself. I would venture you just need to replace the struts. The struts go bad in cold weather and extended time at altitude. Part was like $60 from Subaru. It was straightforward to replace, minus where it bent the metal from extended use.

Shrinkydink8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 06:04:53 PM »
Is this a difficult repair to do?  I certainly don't have the skills, but my husband is pretty handy with cars.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 07:19:50 PM »
Is this a difficult repair to do?  I certainly don't have the skills, but my husband is pretty handy with cars.

If it's the spring loaded struts its almost ridiculously easy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvilP5JMpsM

The guy in the video is takes his automatic system out entirely, but if you wanted to experiment a little you could just replace yours with new struts for the auto system and see if it works again. Basically these things make it easier to lift the gate and as you describe yours as hard to lift, my guess is that yours have gone bad... If so, it's likely the auto motor isn't strong enough to lift the gate without them. Replacing them with same part number as is on the care now might fix it and allow the automatic system to work again. Or you can do what the guy in the video did and just replace them with the part numbers he is using and you should have a very nice manual system. Either way it's probably less than $100 in parts and 20 minutes...

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 07:57:10 PM »
Honestly this is the kind of car I would buy off someone then fix myself.

So yeah - I would repair it.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 11:43:14 PM »
Honestly this is the kind of car I would buy off someone then fix myself.

So yeah - I would repair it.

That’s funny I mentioned this to DW tonight and said, “we should buy that car”.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 08:37:10 AM »
Agreed with the other posters who said "replace the struts".  This is not a $1400 repair, and yes, you can do it yourselves.

If the automatic mechanism is indeed broken, there's another option:  find a nearby pick-it-yourself auto salvage yard and get a replacement motor for <$50.  Or, buy a replacement on eBay for $150, and replace it yourself.

Trading in a car because it doesn't open its back door for you automatically is pretty facepunch-worthy.

lampstache

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 09:45:33 AM »
Keep it. Fix the issue either on your own or through a shop.

Sounds like a decent car with plenty of life left. Potential high repair cost if you go through a shop, but I'd rather spend $1,400 vs $30,000. If the car lasts for another 12 months (which it sounds like it should) the repair cost has more than paid for itself.

Shrinkydink8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2023, 10:46:20 AM »
Agreed with the other posters who said "replace the struts".  This is not a $1400 repair, and yes, you can do it yourselves.

If the automatic mechanism is indeed broken, there's another option:  find a nearby pick-it-yourself auto salvage yard and get a replacement motor for <$50.  Or, buy a replacement on eBay for $150, and replace it yourself.

Trading in a car because it doesn't open its back door for you automatically is pretty facepunch-worthy.

I get it, but I don't care that it doesn't open with the click of a button- it's really difficult to open at all, so it will make our summer kayaking/camping trips difficult with being able to get in and out of the back and get all our gear packed in.

I'll watch some videos and see about getting the husband to attempt to fix it. I guess worse thing that happens is we end up taking it into a shop if we fail to get it fixed. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 10:56:45 AM »

I get it, but I don't care that it doesn't open with the click of a button- it's really difficult to open at all, so it will make our summer kayaking/camping trips difficult with being able to get in and out of the back and get all our gear packed in.

I'll watch some videos and see about getting the husband to attempt to fix it. I guess worse thing that happens is we end up taking it into a shop if we fail to get it fixed.
YouTube is your friend. Fix it yourselves. You will be so proud of your fully functional vehicle.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 11:33:47 AM »

In that case, there's one more option, in case replacing the struts doesn't fix it:  disconnect the motor from the liftgate, so that it's a manual liftgate again.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 09:59:09 AM »
I'd say fix it. Between Youtube and the various Subaru forums on the interwebs there should be plenty of information available to DIY it. Also, most factory service manuals are available on ebay fairly cheap and they'll contain the needed info to do just about any repair.

If DIY isn't an option, I'd suggest avoiding the dealership and finding an independent shop to repair it. They are usually less expensive and don't have the same motive to sell you a new car rather than fix the existing one.

Must_ache

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 12:47:08 PM »
I agree on getting it repaired - somewhere cheaper than the dealer.
If you had a few more things on the list you might be more inclined to sell it, but it doesn't sound like you really want to part with it, so don't.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 12:51:50 PM by Must_ache »

billygoatjohnson

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 03:12:44 PM »
Lazy mans fix you could get a poll/rod or chunk of wood cut it to length. Find a spot to jam it when you plan on keeping the hatch open for a long time. I wouldn't pay $1,400 to have that fixed. I'd do it myself or use the a rod.

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
  • Gallivantin' across the US
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 10:43:38 AM »
Some excellent advice has been provided in this thread about the likely technical solution to the issue. I'm going to shine a different light on it.

Unless a vehicle has been smashed beyond repair, or has burned to a crisp, it's typically less expensive to fix what you have than to purchase something else worth owning.

I advocate treating vehicles as a zero-sum game. Unless you just particularly want to smoke your money on changing cars, then you should not EVER care what your car's resale or trade-in value is. It's a sunk cost (excluding idiocy like payments and upside-down loans). The only question you should be asking is "is the cost to repair this vehicle more or less than the cost to purchase something else which will suit my needs and provide an equivalent lifespan?"

Let's make the case even worse. Suppose you'd blown the engine. You're probably looking at a solid $3-5k at a reputable shop (NOT a stealership). You then have a car which still (presumably) meets all of your needs, with a brand-new engine, for about $25k less than another used one. See the difference? The question isn't "is this repair more than the car is worth on the market," but rather "is this repair cost more or less than the alternative of purchasing something else in decent shape?"

Fair warning: I drive a 28-year-old vehicle, and am happy to do so. If your sensibilities are different than mine about what others think of the car you drive, then I understand that's something you are likely to factor into your decision process. I know that my black-and-white numbers evaluation is simplistic, and not everyone is going to be on the same page as I on this topic.

Good luck in whatever direction you choose!

Shrinkydink8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2023, 05:35:36 PM »
Not that anyone cares anymore, but I FIXED MY LIFTGATE!!!  It only needed new struts.  $70 in parts and it functions again!  I had NO IDEA I could fix something on my own car! Thanks to everyone who replied.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2023, 06:14:57 PM »
You’re badass!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2023, 07:21:16 PM »
Not that anyone cares anymore, but I FIXED MY LIFTGATE!!!  It only needed new struts.  $70 in parts and it functions again!  I had NO IDEA I could fix something on my own car! Thanks to everyone who replied.

Congrats!!  To be honest, just driving a car is more complicated than the average auto repair.  As a driver, you need to know a lot of theory about rules and procedures, you need to be able to concentrate and adapt to conditions and inputs and be aware of safety.  Literally all the same skills to fix a car, so I believe most people capable of driving are also capable of doing a lot of their own maintenance.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2023, 08:13:34 PM »
That’s awesome. Congratulations!