Author Topic: Expats in Indonesia with FIRE on the brain  (Read 3534 times)

thelyon19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Expats in Indonesia with FIRE on the brain
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »
My husband and I are international teachers, and we recently began a new post in Jakarta, Indonesia. We have been MMM-ers for a few years, and have FIRE on the brain...

We have 2 kids--6 and 8--and we have been abroad for 13 years. In these jobs, our house and travel home are paid for, full insurance, etc. It's a great way to save money, and we've done pretty well.

We feel the pull to take this crazy leap in 2019, but are scared for lots of reasons, mainly because of everything associated with repatriation. We would move to one of these place: Phoenix (family), Tulsa (friends/family), or somewhere in CO (because it's CO).

The basic numbers are: $1,175,000 currently in assets--all invested. No property. We make collectively $110,000 per year, and hope to save/invest $80,000 per year this year and next. Depending on the stock market, we hope to reach $1.5 M by mid 2019.

Any thoughts? Advice? Anybody out there who has had the expat life and returned to the States to retire early?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:06:46 PM by thelyon19 »

Meesh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Expats in Indonesia with FIRE on the brain
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 10:30:04 AM »
I don't see why it wouldn't work with 1.5 mil that's about twice what you spend in Indonesia. 60k should be plenty for those areas I think.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »
The basic numbers are: $1,175,000 currently in assets--all invested. No property. We make collectively $110,000 per year, and hope to save/invest $80,000 per year this year and next. Depending on the stock market, we hope to reach $1.5 M by mid 2019.

Any thoughts? Advice? Anybody out there who has had the expat life and returned to the States to retire early?

Until you know what your spending is per year, you cannot determine if the $1.5M is going to be enough.

You could probably find out the approx costs, add a 20% fudge factor and then see if $60k (4% withdrawal rate) will meet your cost.

I strongly feel, for a Mustachian couple like you, you will be able to do so.

thelyon19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »
Thanks, Meesh and CowboyAndIndian.

I am pretty sure we could do it, but my fellow Mustachian husband, is more risk averse. We are now thinking we should soldier on to $2M and then feel much more comfortable (especially in order to buy a house with cash), and be more set-up for the higher cost of living in beautiful Colorado.

4-5 years is the "safe" projection...I guess it's not too far off in the grand scheme of things. I will be 43 and husband will be 50.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »
Would you be open to bridging the gap with some part time work or consulting or some other side gig to have some income in retirement? Remember it's not keep current job vs. retire.  There are miles in between.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 05:03:43 AM »
Thanks, Meesh and CowboyAndIndian.

I am pretty sure we could do it, but my fellow Mustachian husband, is more risk averse. We are now thinking we should soldier on to $2M and then feel much more comfortable (especially in order to buy a house with cash), and be more set-up for the higher cost of living in beautiful Colorado.

4-5 years is the "safe" projection...I guess it's not too far off in the grand scheme of things. I will be 43 and husband will be 50.

MMM lives in CO and has a general budget of $25k right? You have far more than he did when he fired. I guess he did have a paid of house. With all of that invested, you will make money from your investments. I think you’ll be fine. The only thing to factor in is your taxes. On your current income and situation, you probably pay 0 US taxes, but they’ll be hire in US if you keep working. I’ve lived outside the US as long as you and nothing on earth would bring me back to living here. Maybe consider renting for a year or two and living in different places before you buy so you find the right environment. Repatriation is very hard and sometimes more difficult than being an expat. The consumerism, sugar, small-world mindsets will drive you crazy. Your kids might find the thinking of American kids to be off.

Lukim

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »
I am also a long term expat who has been too scared or worried about repatriating but will probably do it late in 2018 after 30 years overseas (including more than 15 years in Jakarta).

I suggest wait until your children reach high school age - which seems to be about 2021 - before you make the move.  Make the best of it while you can as you may regret it later.  The extra time overseas will also give you more time to build up your portfolio/savings.

I know international high schools in Jakarta are not great and the social life for teenagers in Jakarta has its issues but before the children get to that point enjoy the expat life for as long as you can (we sent our 2 children to boarding school while we continued as expats - that is not for all children but it worked well for us).

For children under 12, Jakarta is a great place and for expatriate adults it is also a great place so make the most of it - if you return the US too soon you will quickly get itchy feet and wish you were back overseas.

thelyon19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:41:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice...we are definitely most nervous and unsure about taking our kids out of international private schools for the unknown in the States. It may be that we decide to stay in this life until they graduate.

We also definitely fear "itchy feet." For now we have decided to just live and enjoy what we have and also the freedom knowing that we actually could be FIREd. :)

Did your kids go to JIS?

I am also a long term expat who has been too scared or worried about repatriating but will probably do it late in 2018 after 30 years overseas (including more than 15 years in Jakarta).

I suggest wait until your children reach high school age - which seems to be about 2021 - before you make the move.  Make the best of it while you can as you may regret it later.  The extra time overseas will also give you more time to build up your portfolio/savings.

I know international high schools in Jakarta are not great and the social life for teenagers in Jakarta has its issues but before the children get to that point enjoy the expat life for as long as you can (we sent our 2 children to boarding school while we continued as expats - that is not for all children but it worked well for us).

For children under 12, Jakarta is a great place and for expatriate adults it is also a great place so make the most of it - if you return the US too soon you will quickly get itchy feet and wish you were back overseas.

eazyebeneezer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 08:25:53 AM »
Maybe consider renting for a year or two and living in different places before you buy so you find the right environment. Repatriation is very hard and sometimes more difficult than being an expat. The consumerism, sugar, small-world mindsets will drive you crazy. Your kids might find the thinking of American kids to be off.

I agree on both counts. If you fear itchy feet, why not rent for a while as you get to know your new community?

Consumerism, sugar, small-world mindsets.... so true! And so much more! I lived in Europe for five years and I've been struggling with this every day since I came back.... 10 years ago.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!