Author Topic: 45K in savings with 68K in student loans - What should we do?!?!  (Read 3217 times)

tm05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
QUESTION: We have 45K in savings – pay off loans or down payment on a house?

Life Situation: Recently married and filing married/joint, no dependents – Austin Texas 

Gross Salary/Wages:
Spouse (30 years old – recent grad) income: 100K
Me (28 years old – grad school) income: 37K (I am in grad school but expected to graduate in December 2017 – estimated income after around 50K-65K )

Adjusted Gross Income: $86,400 ($7,200 monthly)
(after taxes, 5% in 401K – company match, HSA, health insurance insurance)
Retirement  - 5% of spouse income and company match 4% ..I have a pension retirement system setup through the State

Debt – Student Loans: $68,000 in student loans at 4.625% through SoFi (It was at 98K 18 months ago) – no other debt  aside from student loans

Savings: $45,000 in a money market at 1% - initially for a down payment

Current Monthly Expenses:
Student Loan Repayment: $2,400
Apartment Leasing - $1200 monthly (will be around $900 in 4 months, we are downsizing)
Other living expense (utilities/insurance/bills/groceries/etc) -$1600
Savings: $2,000

My husband and I recently got married about 8 months ago and we’ve just been trying to figure things out. We are new to the MMM lifestyle and are disciplined, and determined to pay off student loans while saving for a house. However, we had no strategy for what we are doing and I want to be smarter about how we allocate our money.

My question is: How should we approach this? Pay off loans first? Buy a house and while paying-off student loans? Forget the house and just use our 45K of savings to pay off a large portion of our student loans?  I realize it would be more strategic and logical if we were to apply some simple math but I’m not sure what sorts rules, formulas or comparison I should be making (interest rates of mortgage rate vs loan rates vs current rent??).

We are wanting to buy a house because housing in Austin has skyrocketed in the past 4-5 years and I think it’s going to continue climbing along with interest rates. [update] We're planning to live here for a long time since both of our families live here.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:10:47 PM by tm05 »

Lepetitange3

Re: 45K in savings with 68K in student loans - What should we do?!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »
Why do you want to buy a house?  Are you planning on living there forever?  Or for a long period?

Also if you are downsizing, have you signed a new lease?  That puts you at least a year out from a home purchase?

If you are starting to follow MMM, at your income level, I would say kill the student loans then worry about the house. 

Do you have investments/retirement savings separate from this?

The biggest issue with student loans (unless you will qualify for PSLF) is that they never go away.  You could lose everything, declare bankruptcy, and the student loans will still follow you forever because they can't typically be discharged that way.  That's the kind of debt I just wouldn't want around. 

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »
I just dumped a $45k lump sum (which was all I had pretty much) into paying off my student loans last week. It is a great feeling!

Also, I would not put it down on a house. If you are dead set on buying a house now, you could look at a traditional mortgage w/ 3% down. I just did this through chase and got a rate of 3.5% for 20 years w/ minimal fees. Obviously not ideal because I have PMI.  However, I can always sell my house if I lose my job, but like the other poster said, you can't get rid of student loans. They will follow you forever. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:17:48 PM by kwarden13 »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
Is the $2400 what you owe each month on the loans or what you have chosen to pay? With your joint income, you will likely earn too much to deduct student loan interest on your taxes, or at least be in the phase out stage. Personally, after years of paying the minimum, I have just recently decided to pay them off because we lost this deduction and we are in our final years of working and need to be able to live by our proposed budget for at least one year prior to relinquishing the paychecks.

Is it still advantageous to buy in Austin? It was close to break even when I bought there six or seven years ago. I am sure someone will be along shortly to point you to a calculator that will adjust for taxes and maintenance on the expense side, as well as expected appreciation and mortgage interest deduction on the plus side. Part of this depends on your plans: will you be staying in Austin after graduation? Will you be buying in an area that is sure to rent well if you do plan on moving?

Are you maxing out 401(k), IRA and any other tax advantaged options, you only mention 4% to 401(k) and some HSA.

$45k comes to about 8 months of your current expenses; a bit generous for an emergency fund, but you probably shouldn't spend it all down, either. This is especially true until you have started working after graduation.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 12:51:26 PM »
Not much to add to the previous replies other than the 1% return on the money market is killing you.  Either put that savings to use to slash the 4.625% loan, put it towards a house (not all of it, but whatever you're comfortable with - maybe $30-$35k and hold the rest back for emergencies if you wish), or put it in the market.  At 1% it's losing its purchasing power vs. the rate of inflation.  So I'd consider one of those three options with the bulk of it.  Throwing it at the loan guarantees you lessen the loan balance @4.625%, the house payment gets you in a pretty stable long-term investment, while putting in the market represents the most risk in the short term, it also provides the best opportunity long-term (7-8% ROI or more, historically).

So that would be my advice.  Figure out what you're priorities are short-term and long-term and put it to better use than 1% ROI in savings.  Don't forget, when approving you for a mortgage the lenders will factor in your student loan payments as part of your DTI.  You should be fine, especially with good credit scores, but it's something to consider.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 06:10:18 PM »
tm05, welcome to the forum.

You might find Investment Order helpful.  It won't answer all your questions because some (e.g., buy house or rent?) are at least situation-specific and perhaps a matter of taste with no "correct" answer.  But it will address many of your issues.

Chase S.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:47:25 PM »
There are many variables at play, especially with regards to taxation.
Right now, your income levels (if filed jointly) does offer some student interest tax deductions that don't require itemization. Next year, you may be just below the limit or just about the MAGI limit of 160k.  You may wish to run the tax math to see if it is more beneficial to file your taxes separately or jointly. At 137k MAGI income, your tax benefit is roughly $500 this year.  Next year, it may be 0 if your MAGI is 160k.

The decision about what to do comes down to your timeline and personal preference.  Since you are presumably renting a new place in 4 months, I assume you will stay there for at least one year, so the soonest a house becomes a realistic possibility is January 2019. 

I understand you will get a higher pay job next year, but for simplicity sake, assume your budget remains the same for the next 2 years.  Anything additional would go into savings or more expenses (such as raising a family, new car/commute, life style creep, etc)

You need to invest a decent chunk of the money to at least beat inflation. There are also numerous investments that reasonably return more than your student loan rate. That should be the first goal. 

Scenario 1: Maintain budget, change investments vice savings account.
Your 68k loan at $2400 per month will be paid off in 2.5 years with 4100 in interest paid.  In 18 months (home buying time), it would be at roughly 28k.
45k changed to a 7% investment in 1.5 years would be at 50k at house buying time.
Your 2k a month saved be 36k (closer to 43k+ if you add in additional rental savings and higher yield investments).

The average house in Austin is around 400k. 
20% down payment is needed to get rid of PMI (an additional 300+ a month).  To save an extra $300+ a month, your financial outlook would be:
28k in debt with a year left,
$1700 a month mortgage/escrow (80k in equity), and
<10k in savings. 

with 5% DP:
28k in debt
$2150 a month in mortgage (20k in equity)
<70k in savings

That 60k additional in savings would have to return 9% to overcome the higher mortgage payment and PMI costs.

Option 2: Pay off student loan now
Student loan debt:  23k paid off in 10 months at 500$ in interest paid.
Savings at 18 months: 36k (43K+ as described in Scenario 1)
Additional student loan savings: 8 months at 2.4k: 19k (20k with interest)

Home buying time:
$0 debt
$63k saved.  Not enough for a 20% downpayment, thus PMI and 5% (43k saved)
$2150 a month in mortgage (20k in equity)

Fast forward one year into owning the home:
Scenario 1:
Student loan paid off
1700/month mortgage (roughly 85-90k equity)
35k+ in Savings

Scenario 2:
Student Loan paid off
$2150 a month mortgage (roughly 25-30k equity)
70k at 7% = 75k +24k savings = 100k Savings

Scenario 3:
Student Loan paid off
$2150 a month mortgage (25-30k equity)
43k at 7% = 46k +24k savings +29k loan savings = 100k savings

This is all rough math, but the bottom line is this:  Would you rather have
100k in invested assets, 30k equity, and $2150 housing cost OR
35k in invested assets, 90k equity, and $1700 housing cost

The equity/profit is tax free once you sell the home (useful if you are thinking of it as a "starter" home or intend to use a HELOC for say solar panels or home improvements).  The 65k investment difference realizes a $450 housing savings.  This is effectively an 8% return with no tax consequences.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:59:46 PM »
As I recall, you can not claim the student loan interest if you file separately. It is probably still a good idea to run tax scenarios, but generally with dissimilar incomes, it is better to file jointly.