Author Topic: What's your TFSA value?  (Read 363 times)

oily_stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What's your TFSA value?
« on: November 17, 2021, 12:53:59 PM »
The government rarely publishes any data on the actual values of TFSA's in Canada (I know they publish average numbers, but those are not that insightful from a percentile point of view), and I'm wondering where everyone is at.

Personally, I've maxed out my TFSA and have been using an aggressive growth strategy (because I figure it's best to grow the money in there as it's the ultimate in tax efficiency), and have blue chips and ETF's in my taxable accounts which I'm less prone to trade and will eventually pay tax on in my later years.

At the moment, the TFSA is up to $335k. Again, it's made up of fairly risky growth stocks, and it can crash down at any moment.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What's your TFSA value?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 01:19:07 PM »
Mine was just under 130k last I checked.  It's invested 60/40 - index based mutual funds/bonds.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 09:37:44 AM »
I'm an American but a recent Canadian permanent resident.  I don't have a TFSA, but DW and I do have Roth IRAs that we've filed elections with the CRA for.  Mine is at $173K and hers is at $88K, both in USD.  And both are about 60% US Stock, 40% INT Stock, low cost index funds.  I used to have some bonds in there, but I decided to move our bond allocation to retirement accounts that would be taxed as as income (for us, 403bs, which are similar to RSPs).  Like OP, I figure the tax-free account is the best place for the larger expected growth.

poxpower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I want to retire without ever having worked.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 12:29:45 PM »
That's with max contributions since start of program, minus this year.
All sp500 type things.

335k for you? Damn son, good for you.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 10:06:55 AM »
At the moment, the TFSA is up to $335k. Again, it's made up of fairly risky growth stocks, and it can crash down at any moment.

Why not lock your original capital investment into something like VCN to capitalize on some of that great growth?

As for my TFSA, wish I started investing the first year it was created for the power of compounding. But at least I have made up for that and maxed out my contributions since 2015. Currently sitting above $130K in an all equity index fund.