Author Topic: T2200  (Read 2330 times)

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
T2200
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »
help!
Tax year 2017 is the first year I 'officially' work from home (got a T2200 form from my employer)
I am salary, not commission; they checked off that I need to pay for office supplies and that I work from home 100%.  They listed out travel expenses that I was reimbursed for (couple of business trips, not on my T4)
Questions:
1) I have a room in my house that is my 'office', so I think I just declare the square footage of it divided by the square footage of my home (do I use square footage of the main floor or do I include the square footage of the finished basement?).  I use other parts of the house during part of the day (bathroom, kitchen), do I include any of that?
2) since we own our own home, I think I can only claim a portion of internet, electrical, heat and water?  Not property taxes since I'm not commission based?  I guess I can claim 100% of the land line, since we only have it for my work.
3) am I reading it correctly, I can't claim a portion of my property taxes since I'm not commission based?

Am I missing anything?  It doesn't look like a huge benefit (but better than nothing).

Free Forever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: T2200
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 04:08:16 PM »
I hope you worked this out already because we're close to the 2017 filing deadline.

I have heard that these types of deductions have a higher probability of being flagged for review by the CRA due to the many assumptions which leave room for error.

I do my spouses taxes and she claims vehicle expenses to earn commissions. This is not the exactly the same as your situation but she also gets a T2200 and , similarly, there is a bunch of somewhat imprecise calculations involved to determine her deduction.

I found the CRA website helpful insofar as I was willing to put in the time to read and reflect on all the information they offer.

I'd start with this link and read up on all the relevant information offered within: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-229-other-employment-expenses/salaried-employees/work-space-home-expenses.html

If you're still having trouble you should consider hiring a tax professional.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:09:51 PM by Free Forever »

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
Re: T2200
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 09:26:41 AM »
I hope you worked this out already because we're close to the 2017 filing deadline.

I have heard that these types of deductions have a higher probability of being flagged for review by the CRA due to the many assumptions which leave room for error.

I do my spouses taxes and she claims vehicle expenses to earn commissions. This is not the exactly the same as your situation but she also gets a T2200 and , similarly, there is a bunch of somewhat imprecise calculations involved to determine her deduction.

I found the CRA website helpful insofar as I was willing to put in the time to read and reflect on all the information they offer.

I'd start with this link and read up on all the relevant information offered within: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-229-other-employment-expenses/salaried-employees/work-space-home-expenses.html

If you're still having trouble you should consider hiring a tax professional.
thanks for the reply.....yes, I found the information.  Because I'm not commissioned and don't rent, there aren't alot of deductions.  but something is better than nothing.