Author Topic: Personal travel Hack  (Read 7994 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Personal travel Hack
« on: November 14, 2019, 12:30:49 PM »
I don't want to take over the Canadian Travel Hacking Thread, but want to see if this is even do-able.

In Mid-October I'd like to try and get to Taipei from Toronto (It's an $800 ticket). I am also about to take possession of a rental house which means a lot of renovation spends (Aeroplan miles at Home Hardware, Airmiles at Lowes). Who can suggest a strategy to get me from Toronto to Taipei on points? Can it even be done in this window?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
Re: Personal travel Hack
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 03:02:17 PM »
Canada Taiepei = 75k aeroplan miles. (Economy) - Note that when you book your flight, you'll want to pick a flight carrier that doesn't charge gas surcharges (Huge price difference)

CIBC Aerogold Business : FYF (first year free) ; 35,000 Aeroplan miles; $3,000 spend - You and your S/O do it. 6k spend, 70,000k Miles, and you only need 5k more, which most likely you will get through the 6k spending.

TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite : FYF ; 15,000k miles ; No spend. (More miles available but not a great deal for the rest) You and S/o open this card, (buy 1$ of amazon GCs each)

Final: 70,000+30,0000 = 100,000 + Some small change

You can fly economy there, possibly premium economy.

I recommend you both open both cards at the same time, to have a single hit to your credit. (each get one hit since they are so close in time)

Also, put your question and the answer on the churning thread, it's the right place for it! Cheers Fishman.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »
What @Lews Therin said, you could also use AMEX rewards points which transfer directly to Aeroplan.

Failing using points, I've had a great experience flying to Taipei in Premium Economy on China Airlines and would highly recommend them.  YVR to TPE round trip is about $1800 per person if you book early, not sure about a flight from YYZ.

EVA Air is probably your best bet for using Aeroplan to TPE.  Not sure about their fuel surcharges though.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 08:25:19 PM »
Right now my trip is about $865 round trip.

AC with a connection in Montreal and Vancouver. I could pick up @Jon_Snow Snow on the way!

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 10:37:47 AM »
To clarify, you're taking possession of a rental in Canada, and visiting those home reno businesses frequently?

I don't think you'd find them in Taipei, which is why I wanted to make sure "fly to Taipei" and the rental house weren't related.