Author Topic: Most Affordable Way to own a smartphone in BC (Canada).  (Read 955 times)

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
Most Affordable Way to own a smartphone in BC (Canada).
« on: November 06, 2019, 05:47:01 PM »
I've been fortunate...or unfortunate at times....to have a company paid cell for the past 19 years.  Of course I have never been one to have a personal cell phone when I am given one for free.  What gives with people who carry two phones!??

Anyhow, this will all have to change when I RE.  So I am looking for ideas on the best options cost-wise. 

To begin the discussion, I'll start with some details of what I use a phone to do:

- take pictures
- text (I do this a lot)
- phone (not that much maybe a couple hours per month); I keep a landline because my children do not have phones
- navigate using google maps
- navigate using apps for hiking

I've had an iPhone for the past 5 years and while I do like it I'm not hell bent on having an iPhone for my personal cell. 

Questions:

Do you buy a phone outright and then sign up for a service?

or

Is it better to buy the phone through the service?

How's the coverage with the various providers?

Basically, I'm just looking for options.  I figure I will likely need to spend (gasp) at least $60/month for this luxury.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:10:41 AM by FIRE_at_45 »

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
Re: Most Affordable Way to own a smartphone in Canada.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 08:39:52 AM »
Update, I found a great site for all of Canada:

https://www.planhub.ca/#/

Lews Therin

• Magnum Stache
  • Used to be Canadian Ben
Re: Most Affordable Way to own a smartphone in BC (Canada).
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 09:30:04 AM »
I recommend Koodo Prepaid plan (15$/ month , and you buy some data and minutes.

I usually buy my phone separately, Through refurb or kijiji/facebook marketplace.

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 10:11:40 AM »
I recommend Koodo Prepaid plan (15$/ month , and you buy some data and minutes.

I usually buy my phone separately, Through refurb or kijiji/facebook marketplace.

Is refurb a company that insures them.  I'm skeptical on buying some yahoos phone off of FB.

Lews Therin

• Magnum Stache
  • Used to be Canadian Ben
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 10:51:05 AM »
refurbished is a phone that had an issue, and was repaired by the company and then resold. By Yahoos, you mean every person who upgrades their phone? They have to do something with the old one.

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 11:09:40 AM »
refurbished is a phone that had an issue, and was repaired by the company and then resold. By Yahoos, you mean every person who upgrades their phone? They have to do something with the old one.

Touchť you are likely right because most people feel that the latest and greatest must be better.  Iíve had iPhones most recently.  I am coming up on 2 years with the X and as an upgrade it did not change my life at all.  They just changed how you do the same things.  Sure, the camera is great but thatís it.  I feel they were screwing with the battery life on my old iPhone and that was becoming a PITA!

Mighty Eyebrows

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 01:13:58 AM »
Buy Amazon refurbished iPhone.

Get Public Mobile $25/mo prepaid plan (uses Telus network, as does Koodo).

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/25for500MB-3Gspeed

Done.

... If you don't like the idea of refurbished, sometimes Costco has older model iPhones for cheap(er).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 01:16:25 AM by Mighty Eyebrows »

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 07:33:03 AM »
Buy Amazon refurbished iPhone.

Get Public Mobile $25/mo prepaid plan (uses Telus network, as does Koodo).

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/25for500MB-3Gspeed

Done.

... If you don't like the idea of refurbished, sometimes Costco has older model iPhones for cheap(er).

Thanks, I sense a common theme.  Buy a refurbished phone and go from there...I like this Public Plan...thanks!

Mighty Eyebrows

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 05:57:13 PM »
Thanks, I sense a common theme.

Great mustaches think alike ;-)

Public Mobile is a very mustachian service. As a Telus subsidiary, the mothership allows them to give cheaper rates in exchange for slightly lower data speed and only giving online (forum) assistance. If you are the sort of person that needs support from a person on the phone, it is not so good.

I have a business number with a very basic plan that clocks in at $8/month, after an autopay bonus. Not enough for normal usage, but fine for what I needed.

Depending on your needs, you can also cobble together a decent Koodo plan.

NVDee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 10:53:36 PM »
Find a free broken screen phone and fix it yourself!  So easy to do.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 03:50:35 PM »
PTF.  Fire_at_45, I'm in the same boat as you re. phone.  Also wondering whether to get rid of the landline at that point, or shortly after.

I looked at Planhub, and agree that Public looks like the best bet.  Regarding data, I have no clue how much, or how little, usage I can get out of 250 MB / month.

I have an old iPhone 6.  Is there an easy way to see how much I'm currently using?

Any tricks for minimizing data usage?  Like - sending photos to myself via email - is there a better way?

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 03:57:51 PM »
PTF.  Fire_at_45, I'm in the same boat as you re. phone.  Also wondering whether to get rid of the landline at that point, or shortly after.

I looked at Planhub, and agree that Public looks like the best bet.  Regarding data, I have no clue how much, or how little, usage I can get out of 250 MB / month.

I have an old iPhone 6.  Is there an easy way to see how much I'm currently using?

Any tricks for minimizing data usage?  Like - sending photos to myself via email - is there a better way?

@meghan88 yes there are ways to know your usage.  You can go into your settings and reset your data and then track your usage.  I know from my experience when I was not using Wifi effectively and surfing a lot I was using close to 2 GB.  And now that I use Wifi more effectively I use closer to 1 GB.  I personally don't think that 250 is enough.

I change the settings in my phone so that I cannot stream YT or anything over data.  If you make those simple changes you can reduce usage dramatically.  And I think the iPhone will also show you exactly where you are using data...and then you just have to change your behaviour. 

I won't get away from texting a lot so I need to find a plan where that's not limited.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 04:11:39 PM »
Interesting - I will try that, thanks!

Re. sending yourself photos - is email the only option?

FIRE_at_45

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »
Interesting - I will try that, thanks!

No, send them over Wifi.  Also, google photos allows you to send links through email.  Iím still fiddling with that tool but I love google photos.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 07:51:29 PM »
I have a few friends on Public Mobile for a few years now and they have stated zero issues at all. Go their facebook page as they are always posting up deals only on the FB page. Additionally I believe they have 3 options, bring your own phone, buy a refurbished phone or buy a new phone.
Side note ~ Best bang for the buck used would be a 128gb Apple iPhone 7 plus in my opinion.

Mighty Eyebrows

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 10:44:42 PM »
That is not a good way to move photos around. There are multiple good options, but you should do them over Wifi, not mobile data. If you are in the apple world, airdrop works very well. Dropbox and other cloud services also do auto-photo sync, but you need to do some homework to figure out what will work best for you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:38:43 AM by Mighty Eyebrows »