Author Topic: Canadian Travel Hacking and CC Churning Thread  (Read 254493 times)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
Re: Canadian Travel Hacking and CC Churning Thread
« Reply #250 on: May 07, 2019, 08:37:39 AM »
For flights outside of Canada, Aeroplan is your best bet, if you look around (google how to use aeroplan for the best flights) you will find carriers that have little to no surcharges, so flights are extremely cheap!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: May 07, 2019, 09:12:17 AM »

In other travel hacking news, this anyone see the current promo from Simplii where they are giving $200 for opening up a no-fee account? I haven't examined it in detail yet but it looks good at first glance. Two different pre-authorized bill payments over at least 2 months won't be too hard to do. https://www.simplii.com/en/special-offers/no-fee-chequing.html

I applied on line 10 days ago for a Simplii account, the process was simple and easy. Received the package within 4 days, set my on line account up, set my CPP deposit to Simplii after confirming by chat that CPP was eligible, now waiting for the bonus in a couple of months. Painless process, their chat feature is quick and easy, there was no waiting whatsoever, compared to Tangerine's where I was never able to use their on line chat feature in the 10+ years I have been with them. So far so good, I am impressed.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #252 on: May 07, 2019, 09:26:28 PM »
Hi all! I'm new to the game, but I think I'm now organized enough in my own PF that I can start CC churning and travel hacking. We are immigrants so there's always a yearly round trip flight to Europe going on at some point or another. Where do you think I should start? Is one program better than the other if you target a specific destination?

The TD Visa Infinite deal seems to still be live, would you recommand starting with this one?
The TD visa infinite one is such an EASY one. $1000 spend and voila...$320-400 worth of travel! DH just signed up for it. (I got the card last year with only half the points).

What I like is how easy it is to redeem the points. You can go through TD for Expedia (get the full $400 value) or you can do Book any Way and get statement credits ($320 value). I generally do Book Any Way because I use different points for flights and find places that are cheaper/more suitable for us on Airbnb or the like.  I like Book Any Way for Airbnb, uber, campgrounds and even restaurants (for those stray orphan points).

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2019, 05:48:43 PM »
Hi all! I'm new to the game, but I think I'm now organized enough in my own PF that I can start CC churning and travel hacking. We are immigrants so there's always a yearly round trip flight to Europe going on at some point or another. Where do you think I should start? Is one program better than the other if you target a specific destination?

The TD Visa Infinite deal seems to still be live, would you recommand starting with this one?
The TD visa infinite one is such an EASY one. $1000 spend and voila...$320-400 worth of travel! DH just signed up for it. (I got the card last year with only half the points).

What I like is how easy it is to redeem the points. You can go through TD for Expedia (get the full $400 value) or you can do Book any Way and get statement credits ($320 value). I generally do Book Any Way because I use different points for flights and find places that are cheaper/more suitable for us on Airbnb or the like.  I like Book Any Way for Airbnb, uber, campgrounds and even restaurants (for those stray orphan points).

Are you talking about the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite on the first post? I have never collected Aeroplan, so I didn't know they were that easy to redeem. I generally suck at travel hacking, but this sounds like something I could do.

ETA: After looking around a bit more, I think maybe this is the one you mean?  https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/products/credit-cards/travel-rewards/first-class-travel-visa-infinite-card/

I did get the MBNA Best Western a while back and got enough points for two nights in a BW. Go me! lol.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:58:52 PM by Prairie Gal »

BSL18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2019, 06:02:12 PM »

Are you talking about the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite on the first post? I have never collected Aeroplan, so I didn't know they were that easy to redeem. I generally suck at travel hacking, but this sounds like something I could do.

ETA: After looking around a bit more, I think maybe this is the one you mean?  https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/products/credit-cards/travel-rewards/first-class-travel-visa-infinite-card/

I did get the MBNA Best Western a while back and got enough points for two nights in a BW. Go me! lol.

I'm talking about this one: https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/products/credit-cards/travel-rewards/first-class-travel-visa-infinite-card/quebec/
I currently have a NBC MC but is really does not give much back to poor me... So I could keep that one (even even go back to the cheapest option) for the whole "professional plan" that gives me a few perks and shop around and churn for my usual expenses.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2019, 07:42:58 PM »
Bsl: go all in aeroplan, it'll be very helpful. Any credit statements cards are also winners for you.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2019, 10:18:14 PM »
Bsl: go all in aeroplan, it'll be very helpful. Any credit statements cards are also winners for you.
As Lewis Therin said before -- Aeroplan is great for non NA (international) travel (because you transfer points to STAR alliance affiliates and pay lower taxes and fuel surcharges).   NOT a good option for Canada  / US travel.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2019, 06:07:41 AM »
As Lewis Therin said before -- Aeroplan is great for non NA (international) travel (because you transfer points to STAR alliance affiliates and pay lower taxes and fuel surcharges).   NOT a good option for Canada  / US travel.

Can be good with US travel (Using american airlines)

All around not great in general for CAN (Apart from going to the Territories)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2019, 12:22:53 PM »

Mine is the TD First Class Visa Infinite. Jist SO easy.

The Aeroplan one sounds good too - but seems better for a strategy where you are going to accummulate a decent chunk of aeroplan miles.

I am not planning intl travel for the next couple of years so haven't been sufficiently motivated to pursue aeroplan miles.

I also have access to US credit cards so this year that will be my focus. They are much more lucrative :)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: May 11, 2019, 05:13:44 PM »

Can be good with US travel (Using american airlines)

All around not great in general for CAN (Apart from going to the Territories)
Good to know.   I tried switching my points to other US airlines using a couple of methods, and the value ratio was no where close to consideration at that time.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #260 on: May 21, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »
New arrival to Air Miles Cash: LCBO E-Vouchers
(Info available on banner on the main site)

- 95 cash miles for 10$ LCBO ; max 100$ per transaction.

-Tried it out last week, terrible system: Each Voucher has to be scanned, followed by entering a PIN number (written on the voucher) so you have to do it 10x because you cannot get a large value voucher than 10$.... aside from that it went through quickly enough. 950 AM Cash burnt! Huzzah.

mld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #261 on: May 23, 2019, 05:42:09 AM »
Thought you guys might be interested in this Redemption Event of PC Optimum Points for tomorrow at Shoppers/Pharmaprix:

Save up to 300$ when you redeem 200,000 points or more.

I've never used my PC Points for such events but digging for more info right now as I have been stacking them up hoping to find a better way to use them than just on my grocery. Also trying to figure out what I might spend it on, things that I can stack up on I guess!

Any tips welcome :). 

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #262 on: May 23, 2019, 07:23:32 AM »
SDM:

Things that are in the flyer

Diapers

Eggs milk cheese

Toilet paper

Suncream - maybe

Video games/consoles

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »

The Aeroplan one sounds good too - but seems better for a strategy where you are going to accummulate a decent chunk of aeroplan miles.

I am not planning intl travel for the next couple of years so haven't been sufficiently motivated to pursue aeroplan miles.

I also have access to US credit cards so this year that will be my focus. They are much more lucrative :)

I have never had such a difficult time applying for a credit card than I have with the TD First Class Visa Infinite. I'm almost ready to give up. But 80,000 points!

I tried online but my address wouldn't work. They said on the online chat that it's a known issue. I called to apply and they said I had to go into the bank (because equifax). I went into the bank and they verified my ID and said I had to call back and apply via phone. I called back (while at the bank) and the application was finished. He said to call back within 2 business days to follow up if I haven't heard back. I am doing that now and getting the runaround. We don't know. We can't say. Please call back in 2 more days (which happens to be the last day of the promotion).

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »

I have never had such a difficult time applying for a credit card than I have with the TD First Class Visa Infinite. I'm almost ready to give up. But 80,000 points!

I tried online but my address wouldn't work. They said on the online chat that it's a known issue. I called to apply and they said I had to go into the bank (because equifax). I went into the bank and they verified my ID and said I had to call back and apply via phone. I called back (while at the bank) and the application was finished. He said to call back within 2 business days to follow up if I haven't heard back. I am doing that now and getting the runaround. We don't know. We can't say. Please call back in 2 more days (which happens to be the last day of the promotion).
Ack...what a pain!! DH tried to apply online but couldn't get the form to submit. Finally he called and applied by phone. Waiting for the card now as we have a lot of large expenses this weekend.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: May 30, 2019, 02:29:41 AM »
TD's IT is atrocious. Absolutely awful.

MBNA was running off Bank of America's infrastructure for a couple of years after TD bought them. Then they migrated everyone over. It was an absolute farce.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: May 30, 2019, 09:31:23 PM »

TD's IT is atrocious. Absolutely awful.

MBNA was running off Bank of America's infrastructure for a couple of years after TD bought them. Then they migrated everyone over. It was an absolute farce.

ITA.

We have always banked with TD and continue to be pretty loyal. But man some of their stuff is an absolute pain. TD dIrect Investing has its good parts, but it is always a headache trying to set up (or cancel!) automatic orders to buy investments.  Always such nice ppl on the phone though. Just don't get how they can never get things right.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #267 on: June 02, 2019, 10:18:11 AM »
I'm new to this stuff and there's a guy making videos about this for Canadians.  Sounds almost too good to be true!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnPqCA57S3U

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #268 on: June 02, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
ptf

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #269 on: June 14, 2019, 12:50:44 PM »
Metro (today through Sunday) has their “redeem 95 Air Miles, get 25 back” promo on.

Harvey’s is having a promo today and tomorrow, where you can get a free burger (original, veggie, or Angus) in honour of the Raptors NBA championship.  You have to download their app, promo code CHAMPS.  (My local restaurant was having problems with the online ordering but honoured the promo if you showed your order confirmation from the app.)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #270 on: June 14, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »
Metro is Terrible.

Even with 25% off, the only thing I can see worth buying is Cheese and Milk.

Everything else is above 25% the price of a other grocery stores.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #271 on: June 14, 2019, 08:00:20 PM »
I just got an email from Harvey’s saying they are ending their free burger promo today.  I guess they underestimated the number of hungry, freebie-loving Raptors fans!

Metro is Terrible.

Even with 25% off, the only thing I can see worth buying is Cheese and Milk.

Everything else is above 25% the price of a other grocery stores.

I’ll probably go back for milk and cheese tomorrow.  Today my $10 was 2 doz omega-3 eggs, 500ml 35% M.F. cream, and 1/3 kg of eggplant.  Not uber-cheap but acceptable given that all my grocery shopping is done on foot and carried home by hand, so there would be additional time and transportation cost to venturing out to a discount store.  I shop the sales and quick sales as best I can and that seems like the most livable balance between time, cost, energy, and limited storage space.  Avert your eyes, Lews Therin:
Spoiler: show
my main store is Loblaws

sieben

• Stubble
« Reply #272 on: June 18, 2019, 06:28:28 PM »
Anyone looked at this yet: https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/personal/bank-accounts/chequing-accounts/scotiaone-chequing-account.html?intcmp=HP-HeroCTA-SignUp-SuperOffer-En

It looks like it doesn't require leaving the account open for 12 months like a lot of the sign up bonuses do.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #273 on: June 18, 2019, 10:32:24 PM »
Got my MegaMiles 1000 Air Miles yesterday.  👍 Check your account and online chat them if you didn’t get credited the right amount!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #274 on: June 23, 2019, 09:33:32 PM »
Hope this is relevant to some here: Paid Study Discussing Banking - In Person. I think it would be July 8th at 2PM in Toronto, don't know if they have more than one day/time available.
If you qualify for study they pay you $145 USD for the two hour interview. You have to fill out a screening survey first, you would need to create an account on the Respondent platform, if you don't already have one. I've done many online paid studies with them in the past and have been happy, don't know how much they have that is Canada specific.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:19:32 PM by CanuckExpat »

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2019, 10:50:21 PM »
@CanuckExpat - Interesting!!  I completed the survey, we'll see if they want me to participate in the study!

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »
I've been using the AMEX Cobalt, Business Gold, and my TD Aeroplan Infinite.  The spending is tough but I seem to be keeping up with it.  I'll keep you guys posted, this is mostly an experiment.

You can get pretty sneaky with the manufactured spending stuff but I'm not quite on board with that yet.

Hoping for a business class round trip in January, probably to Asia or maybe europe.

Prince of travel goes over this stuff pretty thoroughly.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: July 09, 2019, 06:06:28 PM »
I am planning on signing up with Public Mobile. Anyone want me to use them as a referral? If so, please message me : )

sieben

• Stubble
« Reply #278 on: July 10, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »
I am planning on signing up with Public Mobile. Anyone want me to use them as a referral? If so, please message me : )

Oh boy! Sure do!

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: July 10, 2019, 05:54:29 PM »
Thanks MMMers. I got a message and will refer accordingly when I complete my sign up.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: July 30, 2019, 10:36:39 AM »
Just got my welcome bonus from my TD visa infinite aeroplan, still working on AMEX Business Gold,  should get my new MBNA Alaska Airlines Mastercard this week.  Also still using an Amex cobalt which is a decent point card but consumes a lot of my spending(points are paid out monthly for a year).

Next up:  AMEX gold rewards or Bonvoy, once my Business Gold card yields.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #281 on: August 24, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »
I like travelling by Air France once a year and I think I am going to be looking for a new credit card soon - any ideas?

For the past umpteen years I've had the TD Visa Infinite.  It used to be that booking flights through Expedia cost exactly the same as booking through the Air France website, even during seat sales.  That seems to have gone out the window.  Last year, the prices on Expedia were higher but I did the Best Price Guarantee and got back the difference, which was about $65.

HOWEVER - the other day when I booked flights on Air France, not only were the Expedia flights a lot more, it was giving me - and the phone agent who tried to help - errors for the dates I wanted when it came time to pay, because "the inventory was not yet in the system".  HUH?  You're showing the flights and the prices, but I can't pay for them?  And I couldn't escalate the issue to a manager.

Worse still - or maybe it was a good thing after all - I was told that the Best Price Guarantee did not apply to flights!!  This is something new.  And to add insult to injury: it was cheaper overall to book through Air France and I can't even use my points at the same burn rate to pay for the flight, because "book anyway" adds another 25% to the amount of points needed (e.g., 250 instead of 200).

Needless to say, I am a whole lot less impressed with Expedia and TD Infinite.

We put all our spending on this card - about 35-40K/year, which results in about $700 a year in points if booking through Expedia.

One benefit is that the Infinite card has no annual fee under my banking plan.

I'm wondering if I can do better without too much expense and trouble?

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: August 24, 2019, 04:17:54 PM »
I like travelling by Air France once a year and I think I am going to be looking for a new credit card soon - any ideas?

For the past umpteen years I've had the TD Visa Infinite.  It used to be that booking flights through Expedia cost exactly the same as booking through the Air France website, even during seat sales.  That seems to have gone out the window.  Last year, the prices on Expedia were higher but I did the Best Price Guarantee and got back the difference, which was about $65.

HOWEVER - the other day when I booked flights on Air France, not only were the Expedia flights a lot more, it was giving me - and the phone agent who tried to help - errors for the dates I wanted when it came time to pay, because "the inventory was not yet in the system".  HUH?  You're showing the flights and the prices, but I can't pay for them?  And I couldn't escalate the issue to a manager.

Worse still - or maybe it was a good thing after all - I was told that the Best Price Guarantee did not apply to flights!!  This is something new.  And to add insult to injury: it was cheaper overall to book through Air France and I can't even use my points at the same burn rate to pay for the flight, because "book anyway" adds another 25% to the amount of points needed (e.g., 250 instead of 200).

Needless to say, I am a whole lot less impressed with Expedia and TD Infinite.

We put all our spending on this card - about 35-40K/year, which results in about $700 a year in points if booking through Expedia.

One benefit is that the Infinite card has no annual fee under my banking plan.

I'm wondering if I can do better without too much expense and trouble?

AMEX has some great points offers on their high end cards if you can push your spending through an AMEX.  With your spending level you could get a serious pile of points going.  Also if you're high income.
I will say though, you will have to pay some annual fees, the situation is getting harder(see the canadian churning reddit "datapoints" threads).  The fees are worth it though, if you prefer business class transoceanic flights, for instance.  10hr+ economy flights are not for me.
Also, I would recommend Prince Of Travel yet again, he has some great videos, website and articles on which cards for what purpose and how to get the best benefit from them.  Which points can be converted to where, etc.

The big value is in business/first class flights, since they are effectively devalued through the points system.  It's really the only reason I "churn".

In other news, my 40k points came through on my Gold Amex; I sneaked in the $5k minimum spend in 90 days by the hair of my teeth.  Keep in mind those 90 days start at the day you apply.

Feel free to contact me for a referral if you're interested, I have an AMEX Cobalt and Business Gold which can refer those cards, as well as personal Gold, and maybe Business Platinum and possibly others.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #283 on: August 26, 2019, 09:02:18 AM »
Many thanks for that.  We only travel economy, but I've heard good things about Amex.  I will check out Prince of Travel, and will let you know if I need an Amex referral.  Maybe I can find a "fees waived for one year" deal.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: August 26, 2019, 10:02:54 AM »
Many thanks for that.  We only travel economy, but I've heard good things about Amex.  I will check out Prince of Travel, and will let you know if I need an Amex referral.  Maybe I can find a "fees waived for one year" deal.
There are a few fee waivers around.  It appears Air France does not use points programs that are really interchangeable, but I didn't look very hard.

Check out the reward charts for whichever points program you're interested in.  You'll be able to figure out the value that way since you're not interested in business class. 

The Cobalt has the best points return with the 5x multiplier on groceries, restaurants, etc.  But it's limited to the Amex fixed points travel rewards.  Cobalt will transfer directly(I think) to Marriott Bonvoy, which is a hotel rewards program, and might be another place for you to find value.

Some cards also allow you to book whatever and redeem your points at a fixed dollar value.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2019, 12:24:49 PM »
Just realized that I don't understand what the "Amex fixed points travel rewards" are.  With the TD card, I build up travel points / $ and then I can use these for flights or travel on Expedia, or (if I want 25% less bang for my points), on any other travel booked to my card.

My main beef with the Infinite is that (i) prices on Expedia are always higher; (ii) Expedia doesn't price-match on flights like they used to; and (iii) if I book through the airline, my points are worth $50 less for every $250 of points that I have.

Thanks again for the help.  I am working hard to cure my inertia on this, and find something better.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »
Just realized that I don't understand what the "Amex fixed points travel rewards" are.  With the TD card, I build up travel points / $ and then I can use these for flights or travel on Expedia, or (if I want 25% less bang for my points), on any other travel booked to my card.

My main beef with the Infinite is that (i) prices on Expedia are always higher; (ii) Expedia doesn't price-match on flights like they used to; and (iii) if I book through the airline, my points are worth $50 less for every $250 of points that I have.

Thanks again for the help.  I am working hard to cure my inertia on this, and find something better.

If you convert AMEX reward points to Aeroplan, for instance, you can get very good value because there are regions set to given points quantities. 

Alternately, the fixed points rewards are calculated with the points at a set value, like 1 cent per point or something, so it has less opportunity for exceptional value.

I could be wrong but that's my cursory understanding.  You might be best off just passively getting points through a good card and booking what's convenient when it suits you.  Active churning I think takes more attention to detail and opportunism, but I'm still new at this too.

JamOnFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #287 on: September 08, 2019, 05:21:17 AM »
For those who haven’t seen it, national Bank has a promo til Oct 31st on their world elite MC

https://www.nbc.ca/personal/mastercard-credit-cards/world-elite.html#notes

The most tempting part I saw was: "Get $40 cashback for each month you charge at least $500 in net purchases to card over a 12-month period"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #288 on: September 08, 2019, 06:07:51 AM »
Same sort of thing with the cobalt. But you need to spend 500/month. Can be hard for some.

Scotiabank gold amex has a nice bonus if you go by Drop. 

You can get almost as many points by getting the higher value cards that give 300$+ for the minimum spend of 1k. Do a couple of those and it's better and cheaper than keeping the NBC MC, due to not having to put 500 every month (6k year)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:05:30 AM by Lews Therin »

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #289 on: September 08, 2019, 07:02:38 AM »
Updated 1st Post with current excellent deals.

If you can put very large amounts of money on CCs, @meghan88 I recommend the AMEX TRAIN. It's by far the best value for your money

https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada/comments/a7j2pl/revisiting_the_amex_train/

Ridiculous amount of spending required for those who can`t but everything on a CC / don't have buisness / travel (7k on the first card) but extremely valuable if you can do it.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #290 on: September 09, 2019, 07:27:18 AM »
Thanks!  We put all our spending on credit for the points and we always pay the bill in full each month, so we can do that to reach the $ value (about 25K/year?) but neither of us have businesses so I don't think we can get the business cards?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: September 09, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »
You yourself are a buisness.

you are in the buisness of selling yourself for profit. Making CC profit!

Nothing hurts to try :D

(You could even register as Meghan88 Inc, some places it costs only about 50$, if you do get refused by AMEX without registering as a buisness)

Make sure to get referred by someone before the first card.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #292 on: September 09, 2019, 08:18:38 AM »
I have an AMEX Business Gold and I just put my name in as the company.  Helps to actually have some plausibility behind it as well, in case they ever review you.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2019, 07:49:07 AM »
There are currently multiple banks offering deals to open accounts, and receive 300$+, so it's worth taking a look. This can be a good use for an emergency fund, it'll return around 10% for just leaving in a bank account!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2019, 09:10:21 PM »
Good point @Lews Therin. My DD just got $300 for signing up for a TD bank account. Next up is HSBC with a sweet $600 bonus (an extra $100 if we get a CC but that isn't tempting enough to me). I think both DH and I will also sign up for HSBC so all 3 of us will get $600 each :)

DH also is waiting for $200 from Simplii. It's pretty sweet.

Prairie Moustache

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2019, 10:12:09 PM »
I attempted the $300 Scotiabank one recently but the branch randomly closed my account less than a month after opening it and it voided my eligibility for the promo. I had three tellers looking over shoulders trying to figure out what went on. There's definitely a point of diminishing returns chasing that one down!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #296 on: September 17, 2019, 02:31:07 AM »
Good point @Lews Therin. My DD just got $300 for signing up for a TD bank account. Next up is HSBC with a sweet $600 bonus (an extra $100 if we get a CC but that isn't tempting enough to me). I think both DH and I will also sign up for HSBC so all 3 of us will get $600 each :)

How do you get hsbc to waive fees?

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2019, 07:03:30 AM »

How do you get hsbc to waive fees?

Pretty sure I read that if u have a min balance, fees will be waived. $5k? 1k? I need to read more lol. We always keep a chunk of money liquid so these accounts are the perfect places to park this.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2019, 08:00:03 AM »
It's 25k for the top bonus, something like 5k+ for the 100$ less

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #299 on: September 17, 2019, 11:56:20 AM »
How is the Scotia Gold Amex for churning? Their current offer is quite tempting but I only cancelled my card less than a year ago.