Author Topic: Canadian Travel Hacking and CC Churning Thread  (Read 13957 times)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Canadian Travel Hacking and CC Churning Thread
« Reply #250 on: April 10, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »
I just redeemed 266 bucks from my blue sky amex cause I got the welcome bonus and 3 referrals and a bit of spending!! Makes my next trip to Europe only 530 round trip, sick! Not the best reward out there, but still pretty worthwhile to me.

okits

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: April 10, 2019, 11:58:47 AM »
PSA: for those doing MegaMiles, tomorrow the window opens for the Metro offer (Apr 11-14, redeem 95 AM for $10 off and 25 AM).  @elaine amj - spend miles not money.  😄

elaine amj

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2019, 11:51:51 AM »
PSA: for those doing MegaMiles, tomorrow the window opens for the Metro offer (Apr 11-14, redeem 95 AM for $10 off and 25 AM).  @elaine amj - spend miles not money. 
ROFL! Continuing on my "mess up travel hacking" streak, I went online last week to argue for DH's Shop the Block bonuses (he only got 1000 miles instead of 2000) and after spending hours assembling receipts, etc and arguing with two different reps, I got the extra 1000 miles credited. I was horrified to discover DH is STILL on 100% Cash Miles. Apparently after the last debacle I only thought I changed it...but I didn't. So he has over $200 in Cash Miles. Lots of gas for this summer's road trips :) I really loathe this split between Cash and Dream Miles.

Then when I went to Metro on Thursday to redeem the cash miles, I didn't realize we needed to give the cashier the code...so I didn't.  I had to go back again yesterday to spend yet another $10 for each of us in Cash Miles. This time I gave the cashier the code and got the 50 bonus AM.

Oh well - I am done all 5 Mega Miles promos for both DH and I and have the receipts to prove it all nice and neat in an envelope. Except for Shell as I forgot to get the receipt from the pump too :(

In other travel hacking news, this anyone see the current promo from Simplii where they are giving $200 for opening up a no-fee account? I haven't examined it in detail yet but it looks good at first glance. Two different pre-authorized bill payments over at least 2 months won't be too hard to do. https://www.simplii.com/en/special-offers/no-fee-chequing.html

Then I also saw the TD First class Visa Infinite is offering up to $400 in points for a $1000 min spend with annual fee waived. Double the highest promos I have seen so far! https://www.ratehub.ca/blog/canadas-best-credit-card-promotions-and-sign-up-bonus-offers/#td

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:58:03 AM by elaine amj »

okits

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »
Then when I went to Metro on Thursday to redeem the cash miles, I didn't realize we needed to give the cashier the code...so I didn't.  I had to go back again yesterday to spend yet another $10 for each of us in Cash Miles. This time I gave the cashier the code and got the 50 bonus AM.

Reading RFD it looks like the flyer 50 AM might be a separate promo from Mega Miles...  So potentially MegaMiles 50 + flyer 50 = 100 AM for redeeming 95.  I guess we will find out.

I had the same experience yesterday, didnít give a PLU code because the cashier said I would still get the 50 AM without it.  Iím going back today and tomorrow, need a bunch of stuff for a potluck.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
    • The Fake Cheap
« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2019, 08:52:39 AM »
PSA: for those doing MegaMiles, tomorrow the window opens for the Metro offer (Apr 11-14, redeem 95 AM for $10 off and 25 AM).  @elaine amj - spend miles not money. 
ROFL! Continuing on my "mess up travel hacking" streak, I went online last week to argue for DH's Shop the Block bonuses (he only got 1000 miles instead of 2000) and after spending hours assembling receipts, etc and arguing with two different reps, I got the extra 1000 miles credited. I was horrified to discover DH is STILL on 100% Cash Miles. Apparently after the last debacle I only thought I changed it...but I didn't. So he has over $200 in Cash Miles. Lots of gas for this summer's road trips :) I really loathe this split between Cash and Dream Miles.

Oh well - I am done all 5 Mega Miles promos for both DH and I and have the receipts to prove it all nice and neat in an envelope. Except for Shell as I forgot to get the receipt from the pump too :(

In other travel hacking news, this anyone see the current promo from Simplii where they are giving $200 for opening up a no-fee account? I haven't examined it in detail yet but it looks good at first glance. Two different pre-authorized bill payments over at least 2 months won't be too hard to do. https://www.simplii.com/en/special-offers/no-fee-chequing.html

Then I also saw the TD First class Visa Infinite is offering up to $400 in points for a $1000 min spend with annual fee waived. Double the highest promos I have seen so far! https://www.ratehub.ca/blog/canadas-best-credit-card-promotions-and-sign-up-bonus-offers/#td

This is good to know because I did what was needed for my wife to get the 2000 shop the block miles, but she only got 1000.  I know I kept some receipts, but I'd be shocked if I actually had all of them, but then again you can see all the transactions on line.  I'm wondering if I'm just going to waste an hour of my time calling AM and trying to get the extra 1000 that appears to be owed. 

Just to add that the mega miles offers are really crappy for my neck of the woods, no way I can get the 5/1000 out of it...it's a strech to get to the 3 for 300.

Lews Therin

• Magnum Stache
  • Used to be Canadian Ben
« Reply #255 on: April 14, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »
The chat function with air miles goes really quick. Just browse internet while chatting and you'll be done in 5-10!

elaine amj

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »

This is good to know because I did what was needed for my wife to get the 2000 shop the block miles, but she only got 1000.  I know I kept some receipts, but I'd be shocked if I actually had all of them, but then again you can see all the transactions on line.  I'm wondering if I'm just going to waste an hour of my time calling AM and trying to get the extra 1000 that appears to be owed. 

Just to add that the mega miles offers are really crappy for my neck of the woods, no way I can get the 5/1000 out of it...it's a strech to get to the 3 for 300.

I contacted AM via chat. After looking through my AM transactions and comparing it to the expected bonus miles I was supposed to get for the offers I did, I figured that it was a problem with airmilesshops as I didn't get the ShoptheBlock bonus miles for that. (Although oddly enough I did get the base AM for shopping through airmilesshops).

The first lady I talked to via chat asked me to compile info about all 7 offers: date of purchase, name of partner, and actual amount of purchase. Ack...rather hard to do without receipts. I asked a few times since I could see where the problem was but she would not budge on needing the info for all 7 offers. So I resigned myself to spending the next hour or two diggibg through my CC records to compile the info (a bit challenging as I used 3-4 different CCs during that time).

Went back on to the chat and talked to a different rep. All he needed was the invoice for my purchase via airmilesshops. Took about 5 mins and he credited me the missing 1000 miles.

Next time I will go with the golden rule of hacking - HUCA (Hang Up Call Again).

okits

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: April 14, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »
Went back to Metro today and redeemed my 95 AM with the PLU code.  I certainly hope I get the 50 + 50 bonus AM as I had the pissiest cashier (who seemed new and was crazy-frustrated with how many promotions the store was running).  😜 Hey Ken, I hope your day got better!

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
    • The Fake Cheap
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2019, 07:09:40 PM »

I contacted AM via chat. After looking through my AM transactions and comparing it to the expected bonus miles I was supposed to get for the offers I did, I figured that it was a problem with airmilesshops as I didn't get the ShoptheBlock bonus miles for that. (Although oddly enough I did get the base AM for shopping through airmilesshops).

The first lady I talked to via chat asked me to compile info about all 7 offers: date of purchase, name of partner, and actual amount of purchase. Ack...rather hard to do without receipts. I asked a few times since I could see where the problem was but she would not budge on needing the info for all 7 offers. So I resigned myself to spending the next hour or two diggibg through my CC records to compile the info (a bit challenging as I used 3-4 different CCs during that time).

Went back on to the chat and talked to a different rep. All he needed was the invoice for my purchase via airmilesshops. Took about 5 mins and he credited me the missing 1000 miles.

Next time I will go with the golden rule of hacking - HUCA (Hang Up Call Again).

So I ended up doing this as well, I spoke to AM through the chat on their website.  After some grilling about certain transactions I used to fulfill the Shop the Block (I think I was able to somewhat accurately guess) I was awarded the 1,000 AM I was missing.   Not too painful, but it would have been nice to just get the 2,000 total AM in the first place.