Author Topic: Canadian Travel Hacking and CC Churning Thread  (Read 254492 times)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Canadian Travel Hacking and CC Churning Thread
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2019, 09:59:55 AM »
I have a question.

I have a RBC Avion card that is coming up to the end of the no fee first year at the end of March. I have accumulated 38,000 points. I called today to find out what my options were to avoid the annual fee and was told that I can switch the their no fee version, but that all my Avion points would be automatically converted to RBC points.

I'm not interested in paying the annual fee, but I'm also not planning on flying anywhere any time soon.

I read that I can convert the points to British Airways Avois 1 to 1. Is this my best option? Are there any other ways to keep the points and not pay the annual fee?

Thanks

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »
You could always take gift cards instead. Less cost effective, but actual usable money.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2019, 11:48:43 AM »
I tried buying gc's at shell yesterday and you can't pay in AM cash anymore... Bummer.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2019, 12:31:08 PM »
I tried buying gc's at shell yesterday and you can't pay in AM cash anymore... Bummer.

Have you tried Metro or Sobey's? Last time I checked the registers aren't coded to disallow. So buy whatever else you need, plus $x of gift cards, look distracted, and go oh, I'll redeem... uh... yeah ok $150 sure.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2019, 02:04:30 PM »
Theres usually limit of how many AM they allow you to redeem Too.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2019, 02:26:50 PM »
Theres usually limit of how many AM they allow you to redeem Too.

$750 is the daily limit, not sure about store limits. I can't remember if I've used more than $100 - I used 950 in December at Metro.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #206 on: March 13, 2019, 06:01:50 AM »
FYI, megamiles coming up next week (5 offers 1000 air miles, 3 offers, 500)

Think of it as a scavenger hunt in which you have a guaranteed 100-50$ prize!  Hold off on buys till we see the list of options!

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: March 13, 2019, 08:42:29 AM »

Think of it as a scavenger hunt in which you have a guaranteed 100-50$ prize!  Hold off on buys till we see the list of options!

I am perhaps unreasonably excited about this. Thanks for the heads up!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2019, 09:37:58 AM »

I am perhaps unreasonably excited about this. Thanks for the heads up!

LOL, yeah.  Considering getting DH to sign up for his own Air Miles account for these promos.

Thanks for the early notice, Lews Therin!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2019, 10:25:44 AM »
Heh I wonder if I'll be able to do this - I'll be over during the period it's on, but not for all of it.

Got to use my Shop the Block miles up!

Prairie Moustache

• Stubble
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2019, 12:24:28 PM »
Good to know, I'm trying to smush in as many Airmiles as I can this year to take advantage of that companion flight voucher from the BMO World Elite card.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2019, 08:33:36 AM »
I'M not sure if people from Qc have noticed, but there's been a couple of CC cards that have ridiculously easy achievements for QC residents: TD has two different cards (30k aeroplan and another 400$ in expedia, or 320$ travel credit card) that only require you open an account and keep it open for 90 days.

Hugely easy way to amass points and vacation money. @PoutineLover

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2019, 10:43:23 AM »
I got an emailed credit card offer from Westjet today that included 250 westjet dollars and a companion pass for $100, plus free checked bags and some other perks.
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-cards/camp/wj/1502/?ASC=5DW010&utm_source=westjet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cards_18_westjet&utm_content=wj_wsdfocus&WT.mc_id=cards%3bemail

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2019, 10:53:52 AM »
I looked at the fine print of the current BMO and RBC $300 new chequing account promos.

BMO wants you to keep a $6000 minimum balance to waive the monthly fee and might bill you for the promo money if you close the account before a certain date in 2020 (that date is more than a year away).

RBC’s website sucks and I couldn’t load the additional details to find out the minimum balance for no fee, but they also require you to keep the account open 365 days.

Sorta seems not worth it. 

Still working on racking up Marriott Bonvoy Amex points.  The sign up through Great Canadian Rebates and the intro bonus is even better than when I got the card in January (it’s $50 + 60k points vs. the $30 + 50k points before they renamed the loyalty program).

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #214 on: March 16, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »
I got an emailed credit card offer from Westjet today that included 250 westjet dollars and a companion pass for $100, plus free checked bags and some other perks.
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-cards/camp/wj/1502/?ASC=5DW010&utm_source=westjet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cards_18_westjet&utm_content=wj_wsdfocus&WT.mc_id=cards%3bemail

That card is very much not new!

IMHO a better plan: Get the RBC Avion card for free, then convert your Avion points to WJ dollars, then convert the Avion card to WJ card -> $500 WJ dollars.

Note that the companion fare is excl. taxes so it isn't as good as it seems. The $99 fare is only for Canada/America I think; IIRC it is $299 for Yerp. (Sorry, that's an old sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYVp3ieHtRE).

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: March 16, 2019, 12:47:04 PM »
I'M not sure if people from Qc have noticed, but there's been a couple of CC cards that have ridiculously easy achievements for QC residents: TD has two different cards (30k aeroplan and another 400$ in expedia, or 320$ travel credit card) that only require you open an account and keep it open for 90 days.

Hugely easy way to amass points and vacation money. @PoutineLover
Ooh sweeet definitely gonna look into that. Hope they don't have high income requirements. Thanks for the heads up!

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2019, 06:26:35 PM »
I looked at the fine print of the current BMO and RBC $300 new chequing account promos.

BMO wants you to keep a $6000 minimum balance to waive the monthly fee and might bill you for the promo money if you close the account before a certain date in 2020 (that date is more than a year away).

RBC’s website sucks and I couldn’t load the additional details to find out the minimum balance for no fee, but they also require you to keep the account open 365 days.

Sorta seems not worth it. 

Still working on racking up Marriott Bonvoy Amex points.  The sign up through Great Canadian Rebates and the intro bonus is even better than when I got the card in January (it’s $50 + 60k points vs. the $30 + 50k points before they renamed the loyalty program).

I signed up for a National Bank Promo last year, ($250 when you opened a Chq acct savings acct and their Mastercard)  I was straight up with the banker that opened the accounts that I was only doing this for the $ to sign up.  He said the accounts had to be open for a year.  I kept everything open for 7 months, and then closed everything.  Nothing happened, nothing received in the mail looking for me to give the money back.  I assume that this might be more of a problem if you are continuing client of the bank, however  that was not true in my case

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2019, 06:55:45 PM »

I get that offer also. Unfortunately the minimum income is $80,000 so I don't qualify.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »
I don't have much info on it, but have heard there's a 500$ bonus for TD bank accounts happening. Google sleuths, attack!  (I've done it recently, so I won't be eligeable)

Reggie

• Stubble
« Reply #219 on: March 26, 2019, 05:21:06 AM »
I went to Metro yesterday and was able to buy a $50 Canadian tire gift card along with about $30 of groceries and pay for all of it with my air miles.

They also had Amazon, various dining, and a lot of other options for gift cards. This will really help me spend our huge air miles cash balance.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2019, 06:47:04 AM »
Reminder for people doing the Air Miles Mega Miles promo: the short window for the Rexall redemption offer is open now (redeem 190 AM for 40 bonus AM, Mar 25-28).  Window for buying Sobeys/Sobeys UF gift cards closes Mar 27 (though maybe they will introduce a redeem AM offer, too, like Metro did?)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2019, 08:00:24 AM »
Sobeys usually just has GC, not a redeem option.

Prairie Moustache

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2019, 08:12:08 AM »
I'm a little out of the loop on this one, but can someone explain to me how you're buying giftcards with this promotion? All the offers I read say that they are excluded. Or can you only buy them with Cash Miles?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2019, 10:22:14 AM »
Reggie`s GC`s comment are separate from the promotion, it`s simply a way to redeem his points after hoarding monstrous quantities.

The sobeys ones are part of MEGA-MILES (Offer from SOBEYS and Urban Fresh)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2019, 07:47:08 AM »
MEGA-MILES plan: Using 4 offers from Ont, 1 from Q
1 LCBO Bottle (25$)
IGA Use 85 AM to redeem for 10$
Shell: 25L of gas (will pay with AM)
Metro Use 10$ AM
Jean Coutu Use 10$ AM
I will have spent: 25$ LCBO - 30$ Shell (payed in AM) - 10$ IGA (payed in AM) - 10$ Metro (payed in AM) - 10$ Jean Coutu (Payed in AM)
So 25$ cash, 60$ in AM, and I will receive 115$ in AM.  So.... Free 85$ worth of stuff I would probably have bought anyways, and an extra 30$ I like these kinds of scavenger hunts.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #225 on: March 29, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »
PC optimum is lower than the scotibank card for you.

PC = 3% return in PC points
Scotia = 4% return cash

(When shopping in grocery stores)

Replying to this thread because it aligns more closely with my strategy the past few years -- go for cash value, instead of travel points, then look for travel discounts and pay cash if / when we want. (we don't travel a lot).

I have had the Scotia Bank card, with 4% groceries, and switched to an MBNA World Elite card with 2% back on everything, and recently picked up the PC groceries with 3% for Esso and Loblaws chains.

I found that paying and setting up the Scotia Momentum card was a bit tough (had to go sign in person at the bank).  They are not quite as easy on waiving late charges, and paying them from another bank took a couple of days longer to register than any of the others, so it tripped me up a couple of times.  After a few years, only getting 1% back on the misc. spend was not enough, and the annual fee was too high for just a grocery card spend amount.  Note that with Scotia, you get your credit close to the date that your new annual fee kicks in, so you are locked in to another year's fee if you stay to get the cash back.  Not a great cycle for us.

The 2% cash back MBNA World Elite has been good, and the annual fee is not that high.  2% on EVERYTHING.  It adds up as groceries / gas are not that large for my budget.  They did recently raise the annual fee (waived first year) and reduce the % back, so I shopped for an alternative... then they gave me a $50 credit to stay.  So I will keep it another year.   MBNA also lets you get cashback as soon as you can claim $50, not just annually like Scotia.

The PC Optimium card with 3% groceries back is terrific.  I have an Esso with good fuel rates close to me so switched to there for added savings, and I have been shopping at Superstore, No Frills and Shoppers almost exclusively for a few years before getting it.   The Shopper's points deals are the best, even without a PC credit card,  if you only buy things that you know the best prices for.  There is often $50 worth of milk, eggs, frozen pizza, crackers, tuna, etc. that I can pick up there, for net cheaper, about 15% net lower than the lowest sales price in my area.   I only use this card for groceries and Esso.

I will miss getting my grocery cash back annually as one lump sum, but that's life.  I use up my points as I go... and I still get the cash back in lumps from the MBNA card.

Another cash back card was the AMEX business with a huge AMEX travel points bonus sign up offer.   It was free for one year and the AMEX points converted to cash back exceptionally easily, I did not need to convert them to Aeroplan even though that was what they advertised it for.  I think I received $350 and they give the cash back at full rate for any sort of travel (I had an AirBNB and a car ferry ride for part of it and that was valid).  This one had to go when the annual fee came up as I found too many places that would not accept it and it had dimishing returns.

With this number of cards already, I passed on the Triangle / Canadian Tire card for now.  My 2% back trumps it, I think, and I should be spending less there anyway because it is full of all my hobbies and triggers for spending.  I will keep my eye on it, when I give up the MBNA card, maybe this is the one to use. 

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #226 on: March 29, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »
MEGA-MILES plan: Using 4 offers from Ont, 1 from Q
1 LCBO Bottle (25$)
IGA Use 85 AM to redeem for 10$
Shell: 25L of gas (will pay with AM)
Metro Use 10$ AM
Jean Coutu Use 10$ AM
I will have spent: 25$ LCBO - 30$ Shell (payed in AM) - 10$ IGA (payed in AM) - 10$ Metro (payed in AM) - 10$ Jean Coutu (Payed in AM)
So 25$ cash, 60$ in AM, and I will receive 115$ in AM.  So.... Free 85$ worth of stuff I would probably have bought anyways, and an extra 30$ I like these kinds of scavenger hunts.

Ooh, nice.  I am sticking with stuff that’s on my regular walking route.  Wish there were an IGA or Jean Coutu near me!

DONE:
Sobeys Urban Fresh $75 GC (75 AM earned)
Rexall 190 AM redeemed (40 AM earned)
LCBO $14 for wine (10 AM earned)

TO DO:
Metro redeem 95 AM (25 AM earned)
Shell - buy $10 stuff (5 AM earned)

1155 AM ($121) for 285 AM and $24 spent (I figure the gift card is a wash.)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2019, 10:21:40 PM »
Reminder for people doing the Air Miles Mega Miles promo: the short window for the Rexall redemption offer is open now (redeem 190 AM for 40 bonus AM, Mar 25-28).  Window for buying Sobeys/Sobeys UF gift cards closes Mar 27 (though maybe they will introduce a redeem AM offer, too, like Metro did?)
Sigh. I did see this but got busy this week and didn't pay enough attention so missed the Rexall cash miles redemption. Darn. So annoying. Now I have to actually spend money.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2019, 11:27:43 PM »
Sigh. I did see this but got busy this week and didn't pay enough attention so missed the Rexall cash miles redemption. Darn. So annoying. Now I have to actually spend money.

I hear ya.  Sometimes you get too busy to fully optimize.  I was hoping for DH to get his own AM account for this promo but it’s been a killer week for us and now some of the easy-for-me offers have expired.  Maybe for the next Shop the Block!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2019, 02:09:34 PM »
Hey @PoutineLover ; and all other Quebec people.

Check this one out. No spend necessary, just keep it open.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada/comments/b8crjz/new_hsbc_world_elite_mastercard_offer_quebec/

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2019, 02:14:34 PM »
Hey @PoutineLover ; and all other Quebec people.

Check this one out. No spend necessary, just keep it open.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada/comments/b8crjz/new_hsbc_world_elite_mastercard_offer_quebec/
I don't make enough money to qualify :(

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2019, 04:09:40 PM »
Fudge the income.

Who said that?

JamOnFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #232 on: April 04, 2019, 06:11:27 AM »
Hey guys,

Been reading and learning.  Am on the mega miles promo and almost done.

Silly question, do you guys all take your AM in cash miles?  Last time I redeemed miles on a flight and my wife bought her ticket, my AM value came to 19 cents per AM.  That being said, I don't recall the wife's deal on her ticket, if it was high or decent or what not.  So maybe my cost basis was off.

Thanks for your advice

Jam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #233 on: April 04, 2019, 06:21:32 AM »
I usually have around 4k in dream miles in case of good deals, this year it was 100% worth getting only dream if you could get the BMO WE AM card, since it gave a free compagnon flight (if you had enough AM to pay for both tickets, since they only refunded you after a few months after the flight itself) ; So once for you, once for the partner, 4 flights for the price of 1! (excellent return on AM).

AM Cash is however much simpler, and easier for me to figure out what the value of the money is, instead of being ''fun money'' let's take a vacation type things like dream miles. Easier to say, I got 50$ in gas, rather than I saved 50$ of my trip (did I really, or did I just add 50$ of stuff because it was free from AM). You can also use AM at some home-improvement stores, so buying flooring, applicances will burn through your AM stash really quick (buying a 500$ fridge on AM will empty most people`s accounts) or getting GCs, all sorts of options.

As long as you are getting ATLEAST .10c per AM with your dream miles, you are breaking even, anything more, might as well keep dream.

Also, always keep at least 1000 AM in cash, since there is a lot of deals in Shop the Block, Mega-miles, other deals, that require you to spend AM to get AM back.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #234 on: April 04, 2019, 07:09:52 AM »
Silly question, do you guys all take your AM in cash miles?  Last time I redeemed miles on a flight and my wife bought her ticket, my AM value came to 19 cents per AM.  That being said, I don't recall the wife's deal on her ticket, if it was high or decent or what not.  So maybe my cost basis was off.

With AM Cash, barring any promotions for redemptions, your AM are worth 10.5 cents each ($10/95 AM).  So your flight value was better, in comparison.

I really only spend Cash miles when you get some back, during promotions.  I’ve redeemed Dream miles for things that would sting to pay out of pocket, like tickets to the zoo or a hotel night.  As Lews Therin said, as long as the value is at least what you’d get for Cash miles, you’re doing all right.  (As @elaine amj would say, it also matters if the reward has utility to you.  Sure, redeeming for a luxury holiday to Bali might be the highest-value use for your miles, but if that’s not what you want or can use, you’re better off redeeming for a reward that is useful to you.)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2019, 10:45:43 AM »

With AM Cash, barring any promotions for redemptions, your AM are worth 10.5 cents each ($10/95 AM).  So your flight value was better, in comparison.

I really only spend Cash miles when you get some back, during promotions.  I’ve redeemed Dream miles for things that would sting to pay out of pocket, like tickets to the zoo or a hotel night.  As Lews Therin said, as long as the value is at least what you’d get for Cash miles, you’re doing all right.  (As @elaine amj would say, it also matters if the reward has utility to you.  Sure, redeeming for a luxury holiday to Bali might be the highest-value use for your miles, but if that’s not what you want or can use, you’re better off redeeming for a reward that is useful to you.)

Heehee - I say that a lot don't I? At the very least I make myself feel better :) on the other hand, I see little point in burning a pile of miles for $12,000 first class flight I don't value much when for the same or fewer miles I can take my whole family on an $4000 economy flight that works for me. Even if the value per mile is far superior for the first class flight.

Right now I collect Dream miles for Disney World tickets. The redemption value is fairly decent and it's a reward I want and value. I haven't seen many other AM redemptions I like - flights so far have been overpriced IMO. I chose to pay cash for my DD to fly home from Quebec City last summer because the miles + taxes and fees were too much.  I accidentally accummulated a pile of cash miles so I use that for gas when we go on road trips. I personally don't like to use Air Miles for regular daily spending. My travel hacking is for splurging :)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2019, 07:48:44 AM »
PTF

Waiting for a good deal to come out for us Canadians.   

mld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »
PTF! Great info in here. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2019, 08:39:10 AM »
Techwiz: Check the first post, I try to keep it updated.

There's quite a few deals available in the 200-400$ range for getting credit cards in welcome bonuses. (I only put the ones I believe are the very best, or recommendations for short term money wins on it.)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #239 on: April 10, 2019, 08:43:40 AM »
Techwiz: Check the first post, I try to keep it updated.

There's quite a few deals available in the 200-400$ range for getting credit cards in welcome bonuses. (I only put the ones I believe are the very best, or recommendations for short term money wins on it.)

Thanks!

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »
I just redeemed 266 bucks from my blue sky amex cause I got the welcome bonus and 3 referrals and a bit of spending!! Makes my next trip to Europe only 530 round trip, sick! Not the best reward out there, but still pretty worthwhile to me.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2019, 11:58:47 AM »
PSA: for those doing MegaMiles, tomorrow the window opens for the Metro offer (Apr 11-14, redeem 95 AM for $10 off and 25 AM).  @elaine amj - spend miles not money.  😄

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2019, 11:51:51 AM »
PSA: for those doing MegaMiles, tomorrow the window opens for the Metro offer (Apr 11-14, redeem 95 AM for $10 off and 25 AM).  @elaine amj - spend miles not money. 
ROFL! Continuing on my "mess up travel hacking" streak, I went online last week to argue for DH's Shop the Block bonuses (he only got 1000 miles instead of 2000) and after spending hours assembling receipts, etc and arguing with two different reps, I got the extra 1000 miles credited. I was horrified to discover DH is STILL on 100% Cash Miles. Apparently after the last debacle I only thought I changed it...but I didn't. So he has over $200 in Cash Miles. Lots of gas for this summer's road trips :) I really loathe this split between Cash and Dream Miles.

Then when I went to Metro on Thursday to redeem the cash miles, I didn't realize we needed to give the cashier the code...so I didn't.  I had to go back again yesterday to spend yet another $10 for each of us in Cash Miles. This time I gave the cashier the code and got the 50 bonus AM.

Oh well - I am done all 5 Mega Miles promos for both DH and I and have the receipts to prove it all nice and neat in an envelope. Except for Shell as I forgot to get the receipt from the pump too :(

In other travel hacking news, this anyone see the current promo from Simplii where they are giving $200 for opening up a no-fee account? I haven't examined it in detail yet but it looks good at first glance. Two different pre-authorized bill payments over at least 2 months won't be too hard to do. https://www.simplii.com/en/special-offers/no-fee-chequing.html

Then I also saw the TD First class Visa Infinite is offering up to $400 in points for a $1000 min spend with annual fee waived. Double the highest promos I have seen so far! https://www.ratehub.ca/blog/canadas-best-credit-card-promotions-and-sign-up-bonus-offers/#td

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:58:03 AM by elaine amj »

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »
Then when I went to Metro on Thursday to redeem the cash miles, I didn't realize we needed to give the cashier the code...so I didn't.  I had to go back again yesterday to spend yet another $10 for each of us in Cash Miles. This time I gave the cashier the code and got the 50 bonus AM.

Reading RFD it looks like the flyer 50 AM might be a separate promo from Mega Miles...  So potentially MegaMiles 50 + flyer 50 = 100 AM for redeeming 95.  I guess we will find out.

I had the same experience yesterday, didn’t give a PLU code because the cashier said I would still get the 50 AM without it.  I’m going back today and tomorrow, need a bunch of stuff for a potluck.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #244 on: April 14, 2019, 08:52:39 AM »
PSA: for those doing MegaMiles, tomorrow the window opens for the Metro offer (Apr 11-14, redeem 95 AM for $10 off and 25 AM).  @elaine amj - spend miles not money. 
ROFL! Continuing on my "mess up travel hacking" streak, I went online last week to argue for DH's Shop the Block bonuses (he only got 1000 miles instead of 2000) and after spending hours assembling receipts, etc and arguing with two different reps, I got the extra 1000 miles credited. I was horrified to discover DH is STILL on 100% Cash Miles. Apparently after the last debacle I only thought I changed it...but I didn't. So he has over $200 in Cash Miles. Lots of gas for this summer's road trips :) I really loathe this split between Cash and Dream Miles.

Oh well - I am done all 5 Mega Miles promos for both DH and I and have the receipts to prove it all nice and neat in an envelope. Except for Shell as I forgot to get the receipt from the pump too :(

In other travel hacking news, this anyone see the current promo from Simplii where they are giving $200 for opening up a no-fee account? I haven't examined it in detail yet but it looks good at first glance. Two different pre-authorized bill payments over at least 2 months won't be too hard to do. https://www.simplii.com/en/special-offers/no-fee-chequing.html

Then I also saw the TD First class Visa Infinite is offering up to $400 in points for a $1000 min spend with annual fee waived. Double the highest promos I have seen so far! https://www.ratehub.ca/blog/canadas-best-credit-card-promotions-and-sign-up-bonus-offers/#td

This is good to know because I did what was needed for my wife to get the 2000 shop the block miles, but she only got 1000.  I know I kept some receipts, but I'd be shocked if I actually had all of them, but then again you can see all the transactions on line.  I'm wondering if I'm just going to waste an hour of my time calling AM and trying to get the extra 1000 that appears to be owed. 

Just to add that the mega miles offers are really crappy for my neck of the woods, no way I can get the 5/1000 out of it...it's a strech to get to the 3 for 300.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #245 on: April 14, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »
The chat function with air miles goes really quick. Just browse internet while chatting and you'll be done in 5-10!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #246 on: April 14, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »

This is good to know because I did what was needed for my wife to get the 2000 shop the block miles, but she only got 1000.  I know I kept some receipts, but I'd be shocked if I actually had all of them, but then again you can see all the transactions on line.  I'm wondering if I'm just going to waste an hour of my time calling AM and trying to get the extra 1000 that appears to be owed. 

Just to add that the mega miles offers are really crappy for my neck of the woods, no way I can get the 5/1000 out of it...it's a strech to get to the 3 for 300.

I contacted AM via chat. After looking through my AM transactions and comparing it to the expected bonus miles I was supposed to get for the offers I did, I figured that it was a problem with airmilesshops as I didn't get the ShoptheBlock bonus miles for that. (Although oddly enough I did get the base AM for shopping through airmilesshops).

The first lady I talked to via chat asked me to compile info about all 7 offers: date of purchase, name of partner, and actual amount of purchase. Ack...rather hard to do without receipts. I asked a few times since I could see where the problem was but she would not budge on needing the info for all 7 offers. So I resigned myself to spending the next hour or two diggibg through my CC records to compile the info (a bit challenging as I used 3-4 different CCs during that time).

Went back on to the chat and talked to a different rep. All he needed was the invoice for my purchase via airmilesshops. Took about 5 mins and he credited me the missing 1000 miles.

Next time I will go with the golden rule of hacking - HUCA (Hang Up Call Again).

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #247 on: April 14, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »
Went back to Metro today and redeemed my 95 AM with the PLU code.  I certainly hope I get the 50 + 50 bonus AM as I had the pissiest cashier (who seemed new and was crazy-frustrated with how many promotions the store was running).  😜 Hey Ken, I hope your day got better!

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2019, 07:09:40 PM »

I contacted AM via chat. After looking through my AM transactions and comparing it to the expected bonus miles I was supposed to get for the offers I did, I figured that it was a problem with airmilesshops as I didn't get the ShoptheBlock bonus miles for that. (Although oddly enough I did get the base AM for shopping through airmilesshops).

The first lady I talked to via chat asked me to compile info about all 7 offers: date of purchase, name of partner, and actual amount of purchase. Ack...rather hard to do without receipts. I asked a few times since I could see where the problem was but she would not budge on needing the info for all 7 offers. So I resigned myself to spending the next hour or two diggibg through my CC records to compile the info (a bit challenging as I used 3-4 different CCs during that time).

Went back on to the chat and talked to a different rep. All he needed was the invoice for my purchase via airmilesshops. Took about 5 mins and he credited me the missing 1000 miles.

Next time I will go with the golden rule of hacking - HUCA (Hang Up Call Again).

So I ended up doing this as well, I spoke to AM through the chat on their website.  After some grilling about certain transactions I used to fulfill the Shop the Block (I think I was able to somewhat accurately guess) I was awarded the 1,000 AM I was missing.   Not too painful, but it would have been nice to just get the 2,000 total AM in the first place.

BSL18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #249 on: May 07, 2019, 06:51:49 AM »
Hi all! I'm new to the game, but I think I'm now organized enough in my own PF that I can start CC churning and travel hacking. We are immigrants so there's always a yearly round trip flight to Europe going on at some point or another. Where do you think I should start? Is one program better than the other if you target a specific destination?

The TD Visa Infinite deal seems to still be live, would you recommand starting with this one?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!