Author Topic: Canadian Travel Hacking and CC Churning Thread  (Read 254382 times)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
Re: Canadian Travel Hacking and CC Churning Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2019, 02:06:28 PM »
There's a world elite Air miles BMO mastercard... AND a world elite mastercard (no AM) Both are worth significant $$ for the spend.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada/comments/abkwsb/best_current_credit_card_offers_2019/

Depends on what you are looking for in points. Scotia`s 10% return cash card is pretty easy, the BMO one requires you to go through their redemption programs... you have lots of opportunities.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2019, 07:26:50 PM »
Next time I'm charging you per minute. I spent 3 whole ones guiding you F45. I expect my commission.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada/comments/abkwsb/best_current_credit_card_offers_2019/

Really helpful link, thank you!  I’m going to spend some time looking at it.  With the exception of childcare, just about everything we spend goes on credit cards so if I want to get really ambitious I could blow through one new card’s minimum spend a month (not sure I have the mental energy for that spreadsheet!)  Am going to pick something to start with in the next few days.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2019, 08:40:39 PM »

Really helpful link, thank you!  I’m going to spend some time looking at it.  With the exception of childcare, just about everything we spend goes on credit cards so if I want to get really ambitious I could blow through one new card’s minimum spend a month (not sure I have the mental energy for that spreadsheet!)  Am going to pick something to start with in the next few days.

Meeting min spends is not too bad if u are disciplined about switching to the new card of choice. We just discuss with each other what card we are using for now.

I was tempted by the 10% cashback card mentioned above but we are committed to some heavy spends on a US credit card for the next few months. And while I do some manufactured spending, I don't do a whole lot so I am going to lay low on card applications for now.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »
There's a world elite Air miles BMO mastercard... AND a world elite mastercard (no AM) Both are worth significant $$ for the spend.

Depends on what you are looking for in points. Scotia`s 10% return cash card is pretty easy, the BMO one requires you to go through their redemption programs... you have lots of opportunities.

I was eyeballing that one but I don't come close to meeting the minimum income of 80K/year. 

I forget which card I recently signed up with but it was 10,000 points for getting the card then another 10,000 points with the first purchase, the points come out to an equivalent of $200, and the annual fee is waived.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2019, 08:11:07 PM »
The fact you cant remember makes me doubt your spreadsheet capability. (Dramatic insult)

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »
The fact you cant remember makes me doubt your spreadsheet capability. (Dramatic insult)

Haha, maybe I'm not fit for churning!!!  Although I haven't be burned yet!

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2019, 10:59:09 AM »
The biggest thing that sucks about being FIRE is that I don't qualify for any cards lol , I'm leaning on my insane credit rating to get cards. I did some fun freelance work last year for a bit of cash but after expenses I think my tax return will show about $15,000 income LOL ... so much for getting those elite cards anymore.

I have way to much on my WestJet mastercard now, like $6500 worth of WJ dollars so we have stopped using that.
We are now pounding all our business purchases onto our Canadian Tire card to build up CT dollars for household necessities etc

For personal purchases I got the wife a TD Aeroplan, got the points and just cancelled it this year. I then had her get the new CIBC Aventura card which she is currently using, will look if the Aventura can be used to buy store cards and cash cards etc

I have been using the Scotiabank Elite cashback visa for like 6 years now, 4% back on most of my purchases.

I just don't know what is the best to get now, I was thinking a mastercard as I like to have a visa and a MC at all times. Don't know if I should cancel the WestJet mastercard also now or if it is one of those cards worth just sitting on.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »
The biggest thing that sucks about being FIRE is that I don't qualify for any cards lol , I'm leaning on my insane credit rating to get cards. I did some fun freelance work last year for a bit of cash but after expenses I think my tax return will show about $15,000 income LOL ... so much for getting those elite cards anymore.

I have way to much on my WestJet mastercard now, like $6500 worth of WJ dollars so we have stopped using that.
We are now pounding all our business purchases onto our Canadian Tire card to build up CT dollars for household necessities etc

For personal purchases I got the wife a TD Aeroplan, got the points and just cancelled it this year. I then had her get the new CIBC Aventura card which she is currently using, will look if the Aventura can be used to buy store cards and cash cards etc

I have been using the Scotiabank Elite cashback visa for like 6 years now, 4% back on most of my purchases.

I just don't know what is the best to get now, I was thinking a mastercard as I like to have a visa and a MC at all times. Don't know if I should cancel the WestJet mastercard also now or if it is one of those cards worth just sitting on.

You can put investment/pension income as income.

You can also qualify if you spend enough ($25k a year?) or have enough (I forget how much) for the higher tier MCs and Visas. You may need to go in branch to get them, though, which can make churing less appealing.

Also, Amex doesn't have much of an income requirement these days.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2019, 12:20:12 PM »
My wife has a small business and makes just enough to cover our expenses as we live frugally. I have zero investment income as I am preserving those for as long as possible. My side hustle cash was just enough to meet ends. We have a small business and never ever use cash or debit so very easy for us to reach spending targets. As mentioned credit rating is rockstar level so we do get mail offers all the time, just not the good ones :) If network qualifies a person on a credit card then I should have no issue there. Might look into an Amex as the wife has two with the business, maybe I can get her a referral code bonus for points on her account.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2019, 01:22:34 PM »
New excellent CC option:

TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card - 30K Aeroplan & FYF

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/products/credit-cards/aeroplan/aeroplan-visa-infinite-card/

Easy to hit the spend, and aeroplan is awesome if you pick the airlines that don't have high taxes.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2019, 03:31:22 PM »
New excellent CC option:

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/products/credit-cards/aeroplan/aeroplan-visa-infinite-card/

Easy to hit the spend, and aeroplan is awesome if you pick the airlines that don't have high taxes.

Thanks for sharing.

Apparently they are having problems with the application form right now. I can't enter my address without it giving me an error message. They say it is a known problem.

I need to learn more about spending points effectively (ie: airlines that don't have high taxes). Mostly just posting to follow and to remind myself to come back and read previous posts.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2019, 03:36:34 PM »
Just make sure to read to maximize program X when you start getting points.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2019, 08:08:48 PM »
Aim for as soon ,as possible, and the  right before the june deadline for the 2nd churn.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2019, 10:01:50 PM »

I need to learn more about spending points effectively (ie: airlines that don't have high taxes). Mostly just posting to follow and to remind myself to come back and read previous posts.

I'd suggest starting with the low hanging fruit - cards that offer easy to use travel credits like the TD First Class Visa Infinite and the Amex Gold (unless I mixed this card up lol). Cashback cards are also a decent place to start.

I plan to target Aeroplan sometime soon but have a lot to learn there. Plus I am working on too many other credit card minimum spends at the moment. Need to space it out.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2019, 06:54:31 AM »
Aeroplan is gloriously awesome for flights outside of Canada (due to being able to pick airlines with no taxes). Cannot Highly recommend enough.

Today: Ordered BMO WE AM + Aeroplan card, since I'll be able to put my year's property taxes on the BMO WE, + add some Air BnB GCs for our summer vacation.

Aeroplan will be a little trickier, but I have 3 months to hit 1k, which shouldn't be too hard, I could always just prepay a few things.

@Elaine: I think you meant Visa Momentum infinite
This is the lowest hanging fruit: https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/personal/credit-cards/visa/momentum-infinite-card.html

It`s 10% cashback up to 200$ (spending 2000$) and then 4% for groceries, gas, 2% recurring, 2% Drug stores.

There`s another weird 9% one for up to 3500$, but it`s ONLY 9% for ONLY GAS/GROCERIES/RECURRING in the first three months. It`s trying to sneak one by.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2019, 09:05:06 AM »
SHOP THE BLOCK point came in for a lot of people: Check to make sure you received the correct amounts!

(Live chat is the fastest way for them to fix the issue)

Prairie Moustache

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2019, 12:52:04 PM »
Holy cow, I have a lot to learn on the Aeroplan front. Looks like there's even people who have set up consulting services on minimizing taxes and fees for itineraries. When there's a market...

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2019, 12:54:25 PM »
People can fly around the world with the right CC bonuses, stop over in 6 different countries, and pay about 100-200$ if they do it correctly. Aeroplan can be crazy.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2019, 04:41:28 PM »
So I decided to go for a spin to NS and complete my 7 and picked up the same 2 for my wife to bring her up to 4, will probably complete 3 more for the wife, Kent, Needs and probably go the 25 x$1 Amazon gift cards route on her BMO MC.

UPDATE:

I noticed my AM was credited 1000 AM via "Sobey's Shop the Block".  I was expecting 2000 hmmmmmm.  I have to take a look at my wife's AM, I had also fulfilled the 7 for her as well. 

Anyone else get their Shop the Block credited?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2019, 05:38:54 PM »
So I decided to go for a spin to NS and complete my 7 and picked up the same 2 for my wife to bring her up to 4, will probably complete 3 more for the wife, Kent, Needs and probably go the 25 x$1 Amazon gift cards route on her BMO MC.

UPDATE:

I noticed my AM was credited 1000 AM via "Sobey's Shop the Block".  I was expecting 2000 hmmmmmm.  I have to take a look at my wife's AM, I had also fulfilled the 7 for her as well. 

Anyone else get their Shop the Block credited?

Got 2000 a few days ago.  Wasn’t expecting it this soon so, uh, I’m ready and able to take advantage of any “spend cash miles to get miles” promos.  😬

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2019, 09:51:49 PM »

Got 2000 a few days ago.  Wasn’t expecting it this soon so, uh, I’m ready and able to take advantage of any “spend cash miles to get miles” promos. 

Made the exact same mistake in DH's account *sigh* You would think I'd know better considering I did the same thing to myself last year :(

I have been using the cash miles to redeem for gas when we go on road trips.

That said - DH only got 1000 AM instead of 2000 so I will have to open up a chat with them. I know I met everything although the CC transactions one always makes me nervous.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2019, 09:06:23 AM »
We got 2000 in both accounts, so success! All in cash miles, since I like the flexibility to redeem on VIA Rail gift cards + non-travel splurges like movies and eating out.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2019, 09:16:52 AM »
You can also go to gas stations, and get gift cards to other places, and use your air miles there. (Like at shell)

NOTE, DOESNT WORK ANYMORE.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:48:00 AM by Lews Therin »

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2019, 08:47:57 AM »
Has anyone had experience or opinion on the PC Optimum points mastercard?
I like cards that offset spending I already plan on doing, it seems like buying bulk groceries at Superstore has its advantage over Costco. So if I can use this card to generate points that will cut out another cash expense from my grocery budget account. This is what I do with our Canadian Tire mastercard, we use it enough that it pays for my dog food every month LOL

I have stopped using my Westjet mastercard because I have way to much WJ dollars on there, like $6200.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2019, 09:04:13 AM »

We do 90% of our grocery shopping at the Superstore, using this card. I like the mindless points earnings (tap the card for points & payment), no annual fee (or fee for supplementary cards), 1% in "cashback" on everything (used between churning other cards), and super easy redemption.  A little like your dog food thing, we spend points on any "household goods" at the superstore (OTC drugs, paper goods, etc) and don't even have that category in our budget.

If you go through https://www.ratesupermarket.ca/credit_cards/pc_financial/presidents_choice_financial_world_elite_mastercard you get 100$ gift card for getting the card as well (applies for all 3 levels of card but I've linked to the one with highest earn).

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2019, 09:27:37 AM »
I use the pc mastercard and optimum points and I like it. Easy to earn points at stores I already shop at and with customized bonus offers they add up pretty quick.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2019, 09:52:43 AM »
Why not grab a 10% Scotia return card (first 3 months) that then has 4% return on groceries? 1% bonus, and keep PC for next year.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2019, 12:37:26 PM »
The PC world elite card is the best free card going. Ten days travel medical insurance. Of course, any seasoned churner will have at least one other card on the go that also has that coverage, heh.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »

We do 90% of our grocery shopping at the Superstore, using this card. I like the mindless points earnings (tap the card for points & payment), no annual fee (or fee for supplementary cards), 1% in "cashback" on everything (used between churning other cards), and super easy redemption.  A little like your dog food thing, we spend points on any "household goods" at the superstore (OTC drugs, paper goods, etc) and don't even have that category in our budget.

Same here.  It’s what we use as an everyday card for Loblaws-family stores (our usual places to shop).  It’s easy and I think the points earned are good (I haven’t looked in a while though I don’t remember the website being too easy to use in terms of understanding which points are awarded for what spend.  So I’m going on faith that they’re awarding the basic spend points as promised).

TL;DR - pretty good/good enough.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2019, 10:27:22 PM »
Why not grab a 10% Scotia return card (first 3 months) that then has 4% return on groceries? 1% bonus, and keep PC for next year.
I've already got that card Lews Therin as my long term hold credit card and have been enjoying the big fat cashbacks each year :) Thanks for mentioning it though

If you go through https://www.ratesupermarket.ca/credit_cards/pc_financial/presidents_choice_financial_world_elite_mastercard you get 100$ gift card for getting the card as well (applies for all 3 levels of card but I've linked to the one with highest earn).

Thanks for the link Novik

Prairie Moustache

• Stubble
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2019, 06:01:58 AM »

Any way of getting around the fee on this guy, or do you just eat that cost against the ~$300 cashback?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2019, 06:11:41 AM »

Any way of getting around the fee on this guy, or do you just eat that cost against the ~$300 cashback?

It's 200$ cashback (2000$ at 10% first 3 months) but still 4% on gas and groceries after. I personally wouldn't get enough out of the 4%s to keep it after the first free year, but not everyone takes advantage of air miles to get free gas forever like I do :D

https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/personal/credit-cards/visa/momentum-infinite-card.html?cid=fb_343ed4b0dd1cfe1b61e8b199b8326a0ed6008071&dclid=CIi9yMbss94CFcndYgodGAkA_A

Prairie Moustache

• Stubble
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
Ah, I see where it says the annual fee is waived in first year now... I'm surprised they buried that in the fine print and didn't make it a selling point of the card.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2019, 10:57:59 AM »
I have a lot of spending that I am able to funnel through my Scotiabank cashback card and have yearly gotten well over $500 back. I don't care to fly anywhere so travel cards don't interest me and I don't need fuel perks as I drive an electric car. I hunt down cards that can get me items that I might need, for example our AMEX replaced my toaster, kettle and coffee pot when their times where up. Canadian Tire card was great for offsetting my pet food and household repair needs and now the PC Optimum MC looks good to offset some groceries.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2019, 12:17:58 PM »
PC optimum is lower than the scotibank card for you.

PC = 3% return in PC points
Scotia = 4% return cash

(When shopping in grocery stores)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2019, 09:38:29 PM »
Trying to meet some Canadian minimum spending, and buying gift cards is not a good option for us.
How does this option sound: get AC conversion card, load with USD (eat the 2.5% conversion fee) and then withdraw USD at American ATM when in US(eat ATM fees as well). Alternatively, could I withdraw USD fee free from a CIBC ATM in Canada that dispenses USD?

Any other good option for manufacturing spending? Is there a best way to open an AC conversion card?

And out of curiosity, and slightly more diabolical, so lets say mainly curiosity: What exactly happens if I meet minimum spending by booking a refundable vacation, earn aeroplan points, spend said aeroplan points, cancel vacation and never meet minimum spending any other way? They can't really dip you into negative balance on your reward card. Kind of curious.. bad form of course, but wondering what would happen.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2019, 02:42:47 AM »
Trying to meet some Canadian minimum spending, and buying gift cards is not a good option for us.
How does this option sound: get AC conversion card, load with USD (eat the 2.5% conversion fee) and then withdraw USD at American ATM when in US(eat ATM fees as well). Alternatively, could I withdraw USD fee free from a CIBC ATM in Canada that dispenses USD?

Any other good option for manufacturing spending? Is there a best way to open an AC conversion card?

And out of curiosity, and slightly more diabolical, so lets say mainly curiosity: What exactly happens if I meet minimum spending by booking a refundable vacation, earn aeroplan points, spend said aeroplan points, cancel vacation and never meet minimum spending any other way? They can't really dip you into negative balance on your reward card. Kind of curious.. bad form of course, but wondering what would happen.

What card are you trying to meet min spend on? If it's a mastercard, have you looked at PayTM for utilities/property tax? Or even Plastiq - not sure if you can still do income tax?

AC Conversion is generally seen as a cash advance now, I'm not up to speed on who treats it as that though (MBNA is a no, I think all VISAs as well, not sure). I think you can get some 'Drop' points for signing up through that program. Again not sure, I'm out of touch with it all.

I would say you're burning bridges with the credit card company, possibly. Who knows. As you say, they can't claw them back.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2019, 06:20:38 AM »
A quick scan of Flyer Talk topics shows that your frequent flyer account can indeed drop into negative balance and you’ll be asked to bring the balance back up to zero.  Not sure what they do if you refuse, though it would be reasonable to expect a ban on your participation in the program going forward (current account and any future one you open.  After all, they know who you are, with all the personal information that’s required to fly internationally, these days.)

A different thread mentioned the same scam being used with American Airlines’ program so the credit card and frequent flyer programs are aware of it...  No idea what they do about it, though.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2019, 10:10:53 AM »

Are all gift cards not good, or just store/product specific ones? If the latter, buying VISA/Amex gift cards could be workable. There'd be a fee, and you'd have to double check how they counted to the card issuer though.

Another option would be to book the refundable vacation/hotel/whatever, and just make sure you actually spend the minimum before cancelling the refundable thing.  I've read that works, though never tried it myself.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2019, 11:38:54 AM »

Another option would be to book the refundable vacation/hotel/whatever, and just make sure you actually spend the minimum before cancelling the refundable thing.  I've read that works, though never tried it myself.

I do that quite frequently and it works just fine. I am working on a $12k spend on one card before I cancel the refundable vacation lol.

As for the other question of what would happen if you don't meet the min spend and cancel the refundable trip - generally nothing happens. Depends on the program. If the CC is tied to a rewards program they sometimes claw back your points. If you have transferred your points out, as far as I have seen, nothing really happens. Another thing you can do is cancel your card, then cancel the vacation, and then call the CC company to mail you your refund check.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »

I do that quite frequently and it works just fine. I am working on a $12k spend on one card before I cancel the refundable vacation lol.

Now I remember where I read that, ha! :)  Thanks for confirming.

Reggie

• Stubble
« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2019, 08:19:28 AM »
New excellent CC option:

Have you applied for this one yet? I heard there were lots of issues with the website.  Do you know if it's been sorted out?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2019, 09:19:16 AM »
I got put on wait, called, they confirmed I was going to get it, done. 5min of my day.

Reggie

• Stubble
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2019, 11:25:47 AM »
Just tried and got the same issue a lot of people have had.  Get to the end and press submit and then nothing happens.  Pretty frustrating...  I absolutely hate calling call centres.  Especially banks.  So I don't even think I'll follow through.  Maybe next week.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #195 on: February 26, 2019, 12:54:02 PM »
Sadly, your life is too fun to waste. My hours at work allow me to go on wait without affecting productivity.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #196 on: February 26, 2019, 06:24:11 PM »
There’s a new Air Miles promo out but it kind of sucks.  Spend $50+ through airmilesshops.ca in different categories to earn 50 AM (2 categories) or 300 AM (3 categories). I’m kinda annoyed because Sun and Mon DH and I made two purchases that would have qualified, but the promo period only started today.

Here are the details (posting in case anyone has any smart hacks for this!)

https://www.airmilesshops.ca/en/splash/mix-and-match-2019?ext_cmp=41227_AMS-Mix-And-Match-_-AM.CA-HomePage-_-_EN-_-ShopNow

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #197 on: February 26, 2019, 07:30:49 PM »
So 150$ spend for 30$ ?

Cancel last, there seems to be extra bonuses and tricks.

For example, put 100$ in Weathsimple, and get 100AM extra too, (Would count as 1 of the 3, adds 10$, and you can always take the money back out after getting the points)
Post Canada always useful, Amazon... Lots of ways, so as long as it's not EXTRA spending, it might be worth looking at.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:40:06 PM by Lews Therin »

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2019, 02:45:30 PM »
I ended up grabbing a CIBC Aventura gold last night when they called me, 20,000 point signup bonus. Looking at the points for signup I can get a $100 Costco card for 14,000 points and $50 Walmart card for 7,000 points. I'm ok with $150 in immediate cash savings from this card and after the year I will just cancel it.

The cool thing I didn't realize is if you have a CIBC tfsa or rrsp you can cash in the Aventura rewards points for a cash deposit into your retirement accounts. You can also even have it converted to a credit card or mortgage payment.

Definitely not the most amazing card on the market but might as well use it for now and get the free money.
https://rewards.cibcrewards.com/home.aspx

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2019, 07:54:10 PM »
AC Conversion is generally seen as a cash advance now, I'm not up to speed on who treats it as that though (MBNA is a no, I think all VISAs as well, not sure). I think you can get some 'Drop' points for signing up through that program. Again not sure, I'm out of touch with it all.

Anyone have an updated list for AC conversion and cash advance? Most of the stuff I see only says MBNA is a no-go, but it's at least a year old.