Author Topic: Canadian Travel Hacking and CC Churning Thread  (Read 254360 times)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
Re: Canadian Travel Hacking and CC Churning Thread
« Reply #300 on: September 17, 2019, 11:57:30 AM »
I did it through drop 150$ gc + promo bonus. Next best is thriugh rate hub.

Easy to do if you can spend 1k in 3 months.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: September 18, 2019, 09:08:59 PM »
Halfway to my goal of a roundtrip business class trans-oceanic flight!  Just signed up for the Marriott Bonvoy to go with my Cobalt points for a hotel stay somewhere.

Trucking along...  It's a shame I wasn't familiar with this stuff before the companies started getting wise to the churn.

Michalit20

• Stubble
« Reply #302 on: September 25, 2019, 01:01:13 PM »

Good point @Lews Therin. My DD just got $300 for signing up for a TD bank account. Next up is HSBC with a sweet $600 bonus (an extra $100 if we get a CC but that isn't tempting enough to me). I think both DH and I will also sign up for HSBC so all 3 of us will get $600 each :)

DH also is waiting for $200 from Simplii. It's pretty sweet.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

How do you get hsbc to waive fees?

Pretty sure I read that if u have a min balance, fees will be waived. $5k? 1k? I need to read more lol. We always keep a chunk of money liquid so these accounts are the perfect places to park this.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Did anyone attempt the HSBC promotion and can report back? Considering sign up but have a ton of questions.
Looking at the t&c, you need to meet high balances criteria to even be able to open the premier account, in addition to the $25k for 6 months to receive the sign up bonus of $500.
Otherwise, the option is opening the hsbc advance account with 6 months of $5k balances for $300 sign up bonus (still decent return if all goes well with the bonus).
To get the extra $100 you need to add 3 months of recurring payroll (how are the FIRE folks getting around that one?).
Also, there's a vague language about the account needing to be "active" for that time frame - but I don't know how to quantify that or what it actually means. 

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #303 on: September 25, 2019, 01:17:36 PM »
I have no income, so can'r do the T&cs of bank churning anymore. My partner can and does though.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #304 on: November 07, 2019, 07:45:27 AM »
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES, Mark your calendars.

https://shoptheblock.ca/en/coming_soon

Coming soon! (14 November)

Hold off on buys for the classic partners, and get the lower 120$ worth of Air miles (Make sure it's in Cash miles before starting if you want to use it as cash)

-I'll be putting my plan for me & my S/o to get 240$ worth, and I'm sure I won't be the only one showing how to do it.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #305 on: November 07, 2019, 09:09:55 AM »
 RBC Avion Visa Infinite : FYF ; 20,000pts (+$80 from Drop) ; $1,000

Money is money, just grab a Gift card when they go on sale (every few weeks) and use the money you've saved with that GC to add to your vacation budget.

Also, start doing some bank account churning for the welcome bonuses. (300$ each)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #306 on: November 07, 2019, 10:49:58 AM »
Think of the hourly return. That's a pretty high rate.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #307 on: November 07, 2019, 05:20:29 PM »
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES, Mark your calendars.

https://shoptheblock.ca/en/coming_soon

Coming soon! (14 November)

Hold off on buys for the classic partners, and get the lower 120$ worth of Air miles (Make sure it's in Cash miles before starting if you want to use it as cash)

-I'll be putting my plan for me & my S/o to get 240$ worth, and I'm sure I won't be the only one showing how to do it.

I was just thinking it was about time for Shop the Block!  I signed DH up for an Air Miles account a while ago, so I'll be trying to get the 1200 AM for his account, too.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #308 on: November 08, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »
I will definitely keep my eye out for shop the block, and pay more attention to the dates for the best offers this year.

I'm currently also churning opening a Scotiabank account for $350.  I think this is by direct offer only, so probably not open to everyone.

I might have to go for that RBC Avion for my next cc churn, thanks Lews!

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: November 08, 2019, 03:52:43 PM »
I've just started the RBC Avion VI.  Pretty good deal!

The timing isn't perfect as I started churning too late to yield well this winter, but I should have a good pile of points for next winter!

Edit: credit card number six since may, my credit rating remains good at 750 with no car payments or mortgage on there.  I'll slow down in the new year though.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:54:24 PM by Wrenchturner »

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: November 08, 2019, 06:33:10 PM »
I've just started the RBC Avion VI.  Pretty good deal!

The timing isn't perfect as I started churning too late to yield well this winter, but I should have a good pile of points for next winter!

Edit: credit card number six since may, my credit rating remains good at 750 with no car payments or mortgage on there.  I'll slow down in the new year though.

Remind me how long they make you wait for the points.  I remember that you have to cash them before you cancel so there's that to consider.

I will remind you in 3-4 months!  Likely I will transfer them to Avios.  Thanks for the heads up.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #311 on: November 13, 2019, 05:44:32 PM »
Seems like the RBC Avion has upped its offer.

I think before it was 15,000 points and the annual fee was not waived, so I decided to hold off on it.   

Now they are offering 20,000 points with the fee wavied with only a $1,000 total spend in the first 3 months. 

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #312 on: November 14, 2019, 07:14:33 AM »
Shop the Block is open!
I can make it 5/7 right now with normal spending. By buying some booze and waiting for the normal spend 10$ get 5$ back at Metro, I should be able to hit 7/7

IGA
Jean Coutu
Shell
Proprio Direct (simply have a meeting)
Marché Tradition
-Cost money LCBO
-Hopefully it'll come out later Metro

for the Second account (S/O)
IGA
Jean Coutu
Shell
Marché Tradition
LCBO
-Metro Spend 95 get AM back?
7th unknown. Probably a 8$ construction adhesive at RONA.

So all in all, I'll fill up on groceries, toiletries and a bit of alcohol, and I'll hit the full shop the block and make about 100$ for each account easy.

Anyone found some easy ones? I've already done the no-brainer Samsung Pay and Hudson bay in previous iterations.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #313 on: November 14, 2019, 05:19:23 PM »
Any tips for a shop the block newbie living in Montreal?  I have a regular Air Miles points card; my current credit card does not get me Air Miles.  I spend very modest amounts at IGA and Jean Coutu.  No car, so no Shell.  I doubt I can make it work, but maybe there is hope for me?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #314 on: November 14, 2019, 05:58:32 PM »
Any tips for a shop the block newbie living in Montreal?  I have a regular Air Miles points card; my current credit card does not get me Air Miles.  I spend very modest amounts at IGA and Jean Coutu.  No car, so no Shell.  I doubt I can make it work, but maybe there is hope for me?

I'm not excited for this year's offers and am hoping some better ones come up later (like for redeeming cash miles). 

I hope the LCBO promotions in December are different/better, none of the products really interest me (unless someone wants to speak for the quality of the wine).

I can do the Shell (25L), Rexall (spend $40), and Sobeys UF (spend $50) pretty easily.  I can probably spend $100 through the airmilesshops portal, what with the mad consumerist frenzy of Christmas coming.  🤣 If better Metro and LCBO offers come up I can probably get myself to a Foodland or Sobeys to get the #7 offer.  Maybe buy something from The Children's Place.

I did the Hudson's Bay offer last year and there's no Jean Coutu in my city.  🤷🏻‍♀️

Shell has an additional offer in Ontario (spend $10 in store).  I guess that's an easy one if you're ever in Ontario!

Anyone know how easy it is to complete three surveys at Rewarding Your Opinions?

There's probably a Reddit thread by now with the optimal approach ( @Lews Therin ?)

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #315 on: November 14, 2019, 06:29:40 PM »

Even if you can hit just 3 of the offers, that is an easy $30.   And the promotion has nothing to do with your credit card, just your air miles points card.  Just follow the coupon instructions and pay however you want (payment method isn't stipulated on any offers I have seen).  Also be sure to bring the coupon with you to scan or opt in on the coupon online first.  Lastly check the dates the offers are available, last year they were all over the map, but most this year, for me at least, are Nov 14-Dc 27.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #316 on: November 14, 2019, 06:37:17 PM »
My shop the block plan:

The easy ones:

Sobey's - $50 spend
Co Op - $100 spend
Shell - 25 L of gas
Jean Coutou - $20 spend
Rewarding your Opinion - sign up and 3 surveys

This one is a bit of a stretch:
Kent $40
I could probably find a few things to buy that I don't need at the moment

And finally this one that is a bit of a pain:
BMO Mastercard - $350  spend I have this card but it's not my regular card, but I'll make an exception.

I'll do the same for the wife except probably swtich out the Kent offer for an Irving offer of redeeming AM in store.  I can't do this because I stupidly cashed in all my AM about 2 months ago, and only have about 30 cash miles currently. 

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #317 on: November 14, 2019, 07:05:43 PM »

Samsung pay and hudson bay are freebies (no cost)
Missfresh is another good use (comes out to 13$ for 8 meals)
Iga + iga express, jean coutu, you should be able to find a 7th easily enough!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #318 on: December 06, 2019, 06:53:53 PM »

I'm not excited for this year's offers and am hoping some better ones come up later (like for redeeming cash miles). 

I hope the LCBO promotions in December are different/better, none of the products really interest me (unless someone wants to speak for the quality of the wine).

I can do the Shell (25L), Rexall (spend $40), and Sobeys UF (spend $50) pretty easily.  I can probably spend $100 through the airmilesshops portal, what with the mad consumerist frenzy of Christmas coming.  🤣 If better Metro and LCBO offers come up I can probably get myself to a Foodland or Sobeys to get the #7 offer.  Maybe buy something from The Children's Place.

I did the Hudson's Bay offer last year and there's no Jean Coutu in my city.  🤷🏻‍♀️

Shell has an additional offer in Ontario (spend $10 in store).  I guess that's an easy one if you're ever in Ontario!

Anyone know how easy it is to complete three surveys at Rewarding Your Opinions?

There's probably a Reddit thread by now with the optimal approach ( @Lews Therin ?)

How's everyone doing with their Shop The Block offers?

As of today I've got:

1 - airmilesshops.ca $100 spend
2 - LCBO (Dec offer on two bottles of Cono Sur red)
3 - Sobeys Urban Fresh $50 spend

I'm going to try to do the Rexall one this weekend to stack a few offers.  See if DH needs to gas up and direct him to Shell.  No redeem-95-AM offer has come up for Metro but I might be able to use the catering one for a work event.  I don't know when I'd use Samsung Pay but the offer is just for linking an account, not actual use, so I can do that.  I'm not sure how many offers I'll try to do on DH's card, though.  This promotion was definitely better in previous years!

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #319 on: December 12, 2019, 03:34:25 PM »
I noticed you can stack your Shop the Block Rexall purchase with a current Ampli offer. On the Ampli app, the regular offer is 1% cash back at Rexall, but the additional special right now is spend $30 and get $10 cash back.  This worked for me. 

They do not have a referral program, but if you have Checkout 51 (for getting cash back on groceries by taking pics of the receipts) you can use the same email address to sign up and use promo code C51AMPLI to get a few extra cash back ($1 off each) on fruit, bread or eggs.  This is ok, but I signed up last month with a $10 promo which was way better and is still live till Dec 31 - promo code MOVIE10 (also live is code HOLIDAY2019).

I thought the app was too niche for me to benefit, but I'm already at $30.43 from the signup and Rexall plus a pizza and tea purchase and I'm liking it so far.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2020, 08:22:47 AM »
Just opened the Scotia Visa momentum (10% Cash back on 2k in first two months + 60$ for passing through GCR website - Great Canadian Rebates)

another 300$ in churning, coming up!

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: January 15, 2020, 09:09:01 PM »
I just signed up for TD Cash Back Visa Infinite* Card - 10% cash back for 3 months + first year free. I got it because I wanted the roadside assistance. I want to convenience of knowing what number to call if I have car trouble, instead of having to try to figure out who to call. I`d been planning on getting CAA, but given that the first year is free with this, it`s much better!

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #322 on: January 24, 2020, 11:59:48 AM »
Bonvoy - Done, got 50k points instead of the expected 25k I think.  Not sure why, but I'll take it!
RBC Avion - Got this card, my upstairs neighbors sent it back as the wrong address.  Ended up missing out on the additional 5k point for hitting minimum spend but I still got the 15k signup points. 
Just signed up for the CIBC Visa Infinite Aerogold - First year free, 20k Aeroplan points on signup I think.  Easy one!

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #323 on: January 25, 2020, 10:05:12 AM »
Also yesterday: Signed up for the AMEX Personal Gold rewards, self referred from the Cobalt.  25k points, $1500 minimum spend over 90 days, $150 fee. 

Signed up for the MBNA Best Western Mastercard - 20k points(good for a free night), no fee, no minimum spend.  Got this through GCR and they offer $50 for a signup.  Paid to sign up for this one!

My credit rating was 767 yesterday.  Lets see how much it dives!

(Closed out my AMEX Business gold account last week, also finished a churn on the Alaska Airlines Mastercard a month ago which should get me a nice trip to Seattle.)

Also - here's my spreadsheet for tracking this, it's rough and a work in progress, but it works.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #324 on: January 25, 2020, 05:48:42 PM »
I am finally dipping my toe in the travel hacking pool. I just applied for the Scotia Momentum® VISA* Infinite Card through GCR ($60 rebate). While I was on GCR I saw that I have $102 in old rebates that I had forgotten about, so when the $60 comes through I will request a cheque.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #325 on: February 12, 2020, 01:38:55 PM »
Got my Shop the Block Air Miles today!  Check your account to ensure it's the right amount.  In the past it was pretty easy to sort out any mistakes via Air Miles website chat function.

JamOnFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #326 on: February 15, 2020, 05:45:01 AM »
Shop the block are in as well!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #327 on: February 23, 2020, 09:41:13 AM »
I am finally dipping my toe in the travel hacking pool. I just applied for the Scotia Momentum® VISA* Infinite Card through GCR ($60 rebate). While I was on GCR I saw that I have $102 in old rebates that I had forgotten about, so when the $60 comes through I will request a cheque.

GCR rebate on this card is $80 until Feb 27.  I just signed up for it and got approved, remarkably.  That's three visa Infinite in as many months.  Credit rating was 723 yesterday.  I expect it to drop more in a week or two.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #328 on: February 28, 2020, 08:39:59 PM »
Not exactly travel hacking, but I just scored a really good price on WestJet's Birthday Sale for a return flight this summer from Calgary to Vancouver for $239 all in. I also placed the minimum bid for Premium seats, but I doubt it will get accepted. I have actually never tried that before, so I would be curious to hear from anyone that has done it.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #329 on: March 07, 2020, 12:16:54 PM »
Megamiles for Air Miles is coming up

https://www.airmilesmegamiles.ca/en/coming_soon

Starts march 19. Wait for a bit if you have some things needed at AM stores.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:19:18 PM by Lews Therin »

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #330 on: March 07, 2020, 03:02:32 PM »

GCR rebate on this card is $80 until Feb 27.  I just signed up for it and got approved, remarkably.  That's three visa Infinite in as many months.  Credit rating was 723 yesterday.  I expect it to drop more in a week or two.

Credit rating recovered to 747 four days ago.  this is all according to Credit Karma--might not be accurate.  Looks like new cards don't really dent the rating much.  I've reduced almost all my limits to $5k to keep my available credit reasonable.  This can usually be done either through the app or through the online services without having to call in.  The exception seems to be Scotiabank, so far.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #331 on: August 13, 2020, 07:58:43 AM »
Mega-Miles has restarted, 5 Air miles offers for 1000 AM points.

Pretty much only useful if you've never done any of these offers before, or if you have at least 300 Cash miles already.

IF you do, there are quite a few Use 95 Miles offers. I'm going to do Shell, IGA, Rona, Reno-depot, Jean Coutu (110$ spend for 110$ in Air miles) and I'll only be buying normal things that I would need anyways.... Twice. Since I'll do it for my partner at the same time!

Prairie Moustache

• Stubble
« Reply #332 on: August 20, 2020, 08:14:15 PM »
I don't reckon it's a coincidence that this thread hasn't seen any activity since March 7th! I wonder how many airmiles users have switched to cash miles in the last few months.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2020, 09:04:19 AM »
I don't recommend Shop the Block this year, it's ridiculously cost and hard to make it.

We might be able to get 3 with remaining profitable (60$ for two accounts) That's it.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2020, 09:29:00 AM »
Has anyone considered the HSBC new account bonus offer? https://www.hsbc.ca/chequing-accounts/offers/dc/
Looks pretty good, available until November 30th. There's a total of $1,000 available, although looking at the deposit requirements and hoops to jump through I'd probably only end up getting about $500. Has anyone taken advantage of it yet?

Reggie

• Stubble
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2020, 10:13:34 AM »
Has anyone considered the HSBC new account bonus offer? https://www.hsbc.ca/chequing-accounts/offers/dc/
Looks pretty good, available until November 30th. There's a total of $1,000 available, although looking at the deposit requirements and hoops to jump through I'd probably only end up getting about $500. Has anyone taken advantage of it yet?

I applied for this a couple months ago and I was approved but it said that I needed to go in branch to confirm my identity.  Then I realized the closest HSBC branch is 3 hours away. Lol.  Sounds like a really good offer but don’t make my mistake. I live a half hour from two pretty big cities (North Bay and Sudbury) so I was sure one of them would have a branch but I was wrong.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2020, 11:47:00 AM »
After a quick read of the small print I don't think this one is for me. 

deposit a min. of $25,000 CAD2, within 30 calendar days of account opening, into any product of your choice, from chequing & savings to RRSPs and TFSAs, and hold for 3 consecutive months to qualify for $500 bonus. Also, register for online banking within 30 days of account opening.
Monthly fee of $34.951 waived if you have:
 $100,000 minimum balance1 in combined personal deposits & investments with us OR
 $500,000 minimum mortgage amount OR
 $6,500 minimum monthly income deposit

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2020, 01:35:28 PM »
After a quick read of the small print I don't think this one is for me. 

deposit a min. of $25,000 CAD2, within 30 calendar days of account opening, into any product of your choice, from chequing & savings to RRSPs and TFSAs, and hold for 3 consecutive months to qualify for $500 bonus. Also, register for online banking within 30 days of account opening.
Monthly fee of $34.951 waived if you have:
 $100,000 minimum balance1 in combined personal deposits & investments with us OR
 $500,000 minimum mortgage amount OR
 $6,500 minimum monthly income deposit
Yeah I saw that too, it's also not for me. But that's for the premier account with a $500 bonus, and the advance account only requires a deposit of $5,000 to get a bonus of $300 and a minimum balance of 5k to waive the monthly fee, which is a lot more doable. If I did it I'd probably park my emergency fund there for a few months.