Author Topic: Canadian returning: 403b IRA?  (Read 998 times)

Thrifty Snail

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Canadian returning: 403b IRA?
« on: September 19, 2021, 06:50:56 AM »
Returning to Canada due to a job opportunity after 20 years. Any advice for 403b and Roth IRA?

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
Re: Canadian returning: 403b IRA?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 08:51:18 AM »
I'm a US Citizen, living in Canada, so what I say might be different if you're not a US citizen.  I have been able to keep my 403b as is, but not all providers will allow a Canadian mailing address.  I've had good luck with TIAA and Vanguard (403b only -- they don't allow IRAs).  For my Roth IRA, I wasn't able to keep it with Vanguard, so I moved it to TD Ameritrade.  Fidelity or TIAA should also work for a Roth IRA.  The big with a Roth is to 1) file your election via letter to the CRA with your first tax filing and 2) don't make any contributions after you move.  You have to provide some basic info about the account.  If you do this, the CRA will recognize your Roth and not tax withdrawals (whenever they come in the future).

You can find more information on the Roth here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-folios-index/series-5-international-residency/folio-3-cross-border-issues/income-tax-folio-s5-f3-c1-taxation-roth-ira.html

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!