Author Topic: Canada greener homes grant  (Read 3419 times)

Stash-Can

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Canada greener homes grant
« on: November 09, 2021, 11:28:21 PM »
I've been looking at adding a solar panel system to my house for awhile and think I found a great deal. What are your thoughts....

I'm in BC my hydro bill is roughly 2400$/year. Grid tied solar system covering 86% of use can be financed over 20 years at 2.99% interest $29300 principal $161.00/month payment.

Canada federal government offers a $5000 cash rebate. This is a no brainer right? Feel free to shoot holes in the numbers. Or give me feedback on dealing with the rebate process if you've done it.

(Fyi my roof was replaced in 2015 so fairly new which means I'm in a perfect window of opportunity to add panels without having to remove them later for a new roof).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 11:42:54 PM by Stash-Can »

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
Re: Canada greener homes grant
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 09:55:35 AM »
hmmm i've been considering the same thing but my roof is halfway through it's life. I've been considering waiting a few years for solar roof tiles to become more of a thing and cheaper.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 02:14:30 PM »
I have 3 energy upgrades I'd like to do, solar panels being one of them - with a 5k rebate from the new program it really does seem like now is a great time to get it done :)

So we just signed up to have our energy audit to qualify...

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 02:20:20 PM »
What's the useful life of a solar system?  I'd love to do one, but I have one huge obstacle, DW thinks they are way too ugly, so I think I'll focus my audit on extra insulation, working on reducing drafts e

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 02:27:50 PM »
What's the useful life of a solar system?  I'd love to do one, but I have one huge obstacle, DW thinks they are way too ugly, so I think I'll focus my audit on extra insulation, working on reducing drafts e

Panels are usually in the 20 - 30 year range, inverters 10 - 12 years.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 11:11:45 PM »
I signed up for the Greener Homes grant and just got told we are approved. Waiting for an appt for a home evaluation. Now I don't know if I want to go through with it. I'd have to pay for the audit in advance. And then we must do at least one thing recommended otherwise we won't get the audit cost reimbursed.

We had wanted to do a few windows. But the grant is offering piddly money. $125 per window. Which won't even make a dent.

Now I am thinking I may be better off cancelling the whole thing. I don't k ow - maybe we'll get a few quotes for stuff like insulation. 

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Stash-Can

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 12:05:27 PM »

I'm all signed up and awaiting install I'll update all the process as it goes along and try to answer questions. In regards to lifespan the company I'm using provides a 25 year warranty on panels and inverter.

In regards to the process, energy audit was done early Dec. I still haven't received my report. I'm also awaiting an install date from the company. I've recently read articles about long wait times for canada greener homes grant rebates too so I'll post as the project progresses aswell as when I get my grant paid.

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 12:20:06 PM »
@Stash-Can please do. I have recieved my confirmation email and am awaiting the audit company to contact me. Solar does looking interesting, but I am toying with the heat pump water heater. The rebate, $1,000, makes it fairly comparable to a standard gas atmospheric water heater.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 05:10:14 PM »
There seems to be a shortage of energy auditors.   How long have you been waiting, since November?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/canada-greener-homes-grants-reep-ameri-spec-canada-1.6043180

Stash-Can

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 11:01:57 PM »
There seems to be a shortage of energy auditors.   How long have you been waiting, since November?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/canada-greener-homes-grants-reep-ameri-spec-canada-1.6043180

The audit actually happened pretty quick got it done early December, unfortunately they haven't provided my report yet (which is really just needed for the grant). Originally I was told end of January for install but the company doing the panels is a little behind due to supply chain issues I'm anticipating mid February install now last time I spoke with them.

Stash-Can

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 11:08:22 PM »
@Stash-Can please do. I have recieved my confirmation email and am awaiting the audit company to contact me. Solar does looking interesting, but I am toying with the heat pump water heater. The rebate, $1,000, makes it fairly comparable to a standard gas atmospheric water heater.

Mixed reviews on those heat pump hot water tanks I work in the plumbing wholesale industry and a lot of the plumbers hate them.  I personally replaced my electric tank with a natural gas on demand unit. It's 96% efficient and I'm not paying to heat standby water. In BC you can get rebates for condensing gas tankless units through fortis BC. I got a $1000 rebate 2 years ago when I had it installed.

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 08:16:12 PM »

I received my acceptance email 2022-01-15 and I was called by the audit company yesterday. (2022-01-25)

@Stash-Can What are the frustrations with the heat pump water heaters? It seems like a simple enough system. I would be replacing a rented atmospheric.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 11:33:18 PM »
i put in a heat pump water heater at my old place in seattle. 60 gallon tank, which was the size of the previous electric model. i found that it could not keep up with demand if there was more than 1 bath taken (kids + someone else). garage was probably only ever as cold as 5C (40F), if that, and it really struggled. it was loud too, to the point i could hear it through the floor into the bedrooms above. even in electric mode, it didn't seem to pass the test. and the various modes it had didn't seem to make a difference. i might've saved $10-20/month on DWH bills, but that's a long time to breakeven on the increased purchase price.

in my home that i will be constructing shortly, it'll be passive-house-level airtight and very well insulated. most people go for the heat pump DHWH and ductless dryers, but i can't bring myself to do that. i'm thinking in 10 years these might be ready, but they're not now. maybe if you lived in the southern half of the US where you could put this thing somewhere hot (garage, attic), would it really pay off...

Stash-Can

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 11:32:21 AM »
Latest update

Just got an email from the contractor install will be done by March 14th so I'll post some post install details and let you all know how I fare during the greener homes grant process of getting the grant $$. I'll try to post some pictures after install too incase anyone was curious how it all looks once complete.

Stash-Can

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2022, 11:39:12 AM »
i put in a heat pump water heater at my old place in seattle. 60 gallon tank, which was the size of the previous electric model. i found that it could not keep up with demand if there was more than 1 bath taken (kids + someone else). garage was probably only ever as cold as 5C (40F), if that, and it really struggled. it was loud too, to the point i could hear it through the floor into the bedrooms above. even in electric mode, it didn't seem to pass the test. and the various modes it had didn't seem to make a difference. i might've saved $10-20/month on DWH bills, but that's a long time to breakeven on the increased purchase price.

in my home that i will be constructing shortly, it'll be passive-house-level airtight and very well insulated. most people go for the heat pump DHWH and ductless dryers, but i can't bring myself to do that. i'm thinking in 10 years these might be ready, but they're not now. maybe if you lived in the southern half of the US where you could put this thing somewhere hot (garage, attic), would it really pay off...

What you've said above are the very common complaints in regards to the heat pump water heaters, also if it's inside your home it's pulling heat out of the air to heat the water presumably air you have paid to heat thus reducing the efficiency because you now have to reheat the air.

The most efficient hot water system is still tankless on demand units like Navien or Rinnai. I get they use gas but not much and you aren't ever paying to heat standing water when not in use. Combine that with great warranty on the tankless (usually 10 years) you can't really beat them.