Author Topic: Any Canadians living in France?  (Read 2119 times)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Any Canadians living in France?
« on: January 27, 2020, 09:02:01 AM »
Just want to know what to do with my RRSP when filing French taxes, nobody seems to know.

Thanks.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
Re: Any Canadians living in France?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 12:37:25 PM »
Sorry that no one has been able to answer.

I recall that when I moved to France (permanently, and for work - a "clean break" for tax purposes even though I only ended up staying just over a year), I was able to keep my RRSP.  I don't recall, however, how - or if - it was reported.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 04:09:45 PM »
Just want to know what to do with my RRSP when filing French taxes, nobody seems to know.

Thanks.

Sorry I have no experience filing taxes after a foreign move. I imagine you contributed during the part of the year you were still in Canada. Now that you are in France on December 31st you need to file French taxes.

Was some of your earned income from both countries last year?

I'd maybe try taking it off your gross Canadian income and report a net Canadian income in France and beg for forgiveness after...

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 02:07:37 AM »

Thanks.

Sorry I have no experience filing taxes after a foreign move. I imagine you contributed during the part of the year you were still in Canada. Now that you are in France on December 31st you need to file French taxes.

Was some of your earned income from both countries last year?

I'd maybe try taking it off your gross Canadian income and report a net Canadian income in France and beg for forgiveness after...

Ha no that's not what I meant, sorry - I'm talking about ongoing. Some countries don't see the RRSP as a valid retirement vehicle and treat it as just a normal account wherein dividends and sales are taxed when they occur.

In terms of what you're saying, places with a DTA generally - AFAIK - have a split year system. So I will not be declaring anything to France that happened before I became French resident.

MadAllan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 05:44:07 AM »
I have been researching this for our retirement planning and found this page https://bofip.impots.gouv.fr/bofip/2907-PGP that should be helpful. I need to get my dictionary out to read it!!

Cheers,
Jen