Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto: "CMTO 2022: FIREscape"  (Read 16801 times)

svosavvy

• Stubble
Re: CMTO 2022 - FIRE-scape
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2022, 06:04:10 AM »
PTF.  This sounds fun and is close by.  Are we talking Kingston area?  Might be able to talk DW into joining me this time.  We usually do an autumn trip together up north anyway. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 06:25:53 AM by svosavvy »

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2022, 08:09:18 AM »
I'm not entirely sure how good of an idea it would be for me to attempt to paddle after a beer tasting...but I'd love a beer tasting :)

Bike mechanic would be cool, although I have not ridden my bike in...many years. I'm not sure it's rideable.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2022, 09:13:59 AM »
PTF.  This sounds fun and is close by.  Are we talking Kingston area?  Might be able to talk DW into joining me this time.  We usually do an autumn trip together up north anyway.

Yes - kingston-ish area-ish, sortof. Prince Edward County.

I'm not entirely sure how good of an idea it would be for me to attempt to paddle after a beer tasting...but I'd love a beer tasting :)

Bike mechanic would be cool, although I have not ridden my bike in...many years. I'm not sure it's rideable.

I just wonder how @avrex will feel if his sommelier skills are replaced with an alehouse.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2022, 08:44:51 AM »
Good news... we have now locked up three venues adjacent to each other for camp use. One is a pavillion overlooking Lake Ontario, another is a picnic field which we can convert into a volley-Hockey-ball venue on Saturday afternoon, and the third is the hotel property/room.

Folks, the Jello is slowly being nailed to the wall. I am hoping to have pricing early next week and a ticket window open in about a week and a half.

Some socials/email to follow to build community:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1866268993478733/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CampMustache_TO

And the mailchimp list... which if we already have your email addy, you are on, and if you don't, well, we'll share more about it shortly.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2022, 09:34:08 AM »
This is getting very exciting.  Thanks so very much to you and the rest of your Camp FIRE-scape crew for all the work you are doing and will continue to do to make this camp happen.  I know it will be awesome!

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2022, 10:02:37 AM »
This is getting very exciting.  Thanks so very much to you and the rest of your Camp FIRE-scape crew for all the work you are doing and will continue to do to make this camp happen.  I know it will be awesome!

X2!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2022, 08:41:37 AM »
OK Folks - I spent some time wrapping my head around speakers and agenda items. I have a few, which is good. As I see it, we currently have 2 "open time workshops" (gardening - @RetiredAt63, and Belt-making - myself). as well as 4 schedule-able sessions. I'd like to get about 4 more scheduled sessions put together - moderated conversations are always good, as are Q&A style events which take basically no planning.

Tentative Topics so far include... (I've totally made up these titles, and they are very much subject to change)
- "The marketing of an Anti-Marketing mindset."
- "Resiliency and the FIRE-Mindset."
- "Gaming the communications giants. How to negotiate your phone and internet plan"
- "Social networks beyond Social Media - getting your Tribe mojo working" - Discussion leader needed
- "Small, local, and powerful. Being a force for good close to home" - Discussion leader needed

And of course there is always a need for the typical conversation pieces like - Real estate, investment strategies, and so on. No one has raised a hand to lead those conversations, but I'd love it if you did.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 09:17:40 AM by Le Poisson »

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2022, 09:42:45 AM »
I can offer up my services as a Q.A. leader for investment strategies... i don't really think a presentation is necessary nor needed.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2022, 01:53:58 PM »
I can do one on Mustachian vanlife, minimalistic living, tiny house living, etc. if there would be interest.

SnakesintheGrass

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2022, 04:10:25 AM »
I’d be happy to moderate a panel of post-FIRE folks  — an “Ask Me Anything” format with a set of prepared questions plus taking questions from the floor.  Panel attendees to be selected at the conference, aiming to bring forward some quieter voices.

Similar to the session I moderated at last CM*TO, also same at CM*MW. 

When planned at the end of the schedule, the discussion tends to capture the spirit of the weekend.

Beth

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2022, 10:07:21 AM »
Sounds like we might be able to separate the post-fire by subject
Van life / different FIRE

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2022, 10:16:14 AM »
- "The marketing of an Anti-Marketing mindset."
"Give Advertising the Finger and Live the Good Life"

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2022, 08:48:48 AM »
I can do one on Mustachian vanlife, minimalistic living, tiny house living, etc. if there would be interest.

A thousand apologies CW! You are TOTALLY on the list, and I am looking forward to your session!

Everyone else - I'm doing a bunch of work on this tonight. I promise. There will be updates coming soon, and hopefully pricing and ticketing by the weekend. But I am really slammed with stuff right now, so maybe not? But definitely maybe. Unless it doesn't happen.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2022, 10:34:14 AM »

A thousand apologies CW! You are TOTALLY on the list, and I am looking forward to your session!

Everyone else - I'm doing a bunch of work on this tonight. I promise. There will be updates coming soon, and hopefully pricing and ticketing by the weekend. But I am really slammed with stuff right now, so maybe not? But definitely maybe. Unless it doesn't happen.

Whenever, don't stress yourself.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2022, 08:08:07 AM »
FIREscape UPDATE

Last night there was a meeting. It was intense. Words like "collaboration" and "cross-functional" and "Ameliorate" were tossed around. Someone even wore a tie. We thought outside the box and flew ideas up the flag pole to see who saluted. Things are taking shape.

So here's all the stuff you've been waiting to find out.

1. Dates remain unchanged: September 30, Oct 1, 2.
2. Cost: We anticipate a per person cost of $175 plus your room and some meals.
3. Inclusions: Your ticket includes all the wonderfulness of CMTO-FIREscape plus meals on Friday. Your hotel room will have to be booked with the hotel itself at a cost of $95 per night. You can get a double bed (sleeps 2) or two double beds (sleeps 4). Some will opt for a room to themself.
4. Meals: we include lunch and a group dinner on Friday, and the hotel includes breakfast with your room however Saturday lunch and dinner and Sunday lunch will be "Fend for yourself." We chose this arrangement because there is a large catering fee to eat at the site, and arranging catering for all meals with different vendors was going to be a logistical nightmare. Note: by not including all meals we cut the ticket price by about $100 per person. Catering is expensive, and you can do better than we could.
5. Speakers: we still need a few more presenters. Currently we are heavy on lifestyle stuff and need a few more technical presentations. If you want to share strategies or do a case study, let me know.
6. Post-FIRE panel: We would like as much diversity as possible on the panel this time. In the past we've done targeted panels, this go round we'd like to hear from more folks with more ideas. Please raise your hand.
7. Kids and pets: this will be the most kid-friendly camp so far. With multiple pools, a waterslide, playgrounds adjacent to the picnic site, fishing onsite, wide open grass fields to kick balls around, etc. I think most kids would be happy here, however, parents may miss sessions to parent, so weigh that in mind against the gramma tax of dropping them off with relatives for the weekend. There is also a dog park adjacent to the site, however I do not know if the hotel is pet friendly. I would suggest dogs stay home. We are not bringing ours.
8. BEACH DAY!!! Overwhelmingly we saw support for a camp-ending beach day, so we are rolling with it. Pack a swimsuit - I'm bringing mine!

I hope tickets will go on sale in the next week or so as we finalize costs on a few items. A mailchimp message similar to this one will go out shortly, followed by an announcement of the window to buy a ticket, and then the ticket sales will open. We are targeting for 75 attendees. I expect @grantmeaname to bring 15.

Any questions, fire away.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 08:26:36 AM by Le Poisson »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2022, 08:51:01 AM »
Please, I barely brought 15 people to my own Camp Mustache!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2022, 08:57:22 AM »
Please, I barely brought 15 people to my own Camp Mustache!

[action:] sits across desk from Grant. Looks up from performance report, lets out heavy sigh. [/action]

You can do better Grant. You know it, and I know it.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto: "CMTO 2022: FIREscape"
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2022, 09:06:40 AM »
Sounds amazing!  Many thanks to you and your fabulous team!!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2022, 09:12:18 AM »
5. I can run either investment q.a., or mediate a case study if someone wants us to go through their situation.

6. I'm up for joining the panel, if you want a young 3 year fired point of view

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2022, 09:19:32 AM »
5. I can run either investment q.a., or mediate a case study if someone wants us to go through their situation.

Holy shit, you've been fired for three years? Where have i been?

...oh wait. Covid lockdown. nm.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2022, 09:25:24 AM »

I had you in mind to tap for one of these. I'll reach back eventually - thing is you are so versatile, I like to keep you as my backup for whatever is needed at the last minute.

Also, I recorded our meeting, if you want to listen in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZZY1jU7Lk0
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 09:29:29 AM by Le Poisson »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2022, 09:47:49 AM »
What the hell am I going to do all day, whilst you guys are at the horrible beach? Maybe I'll play with the dog...oh wait

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2022, 10:01:19 AM »
What the hell am I going to do all day, whilst you guys are at the horrible beach? Maybe I'll play with the dog...oh wait

https://petpawsitive.ca/

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2022, 11:17:59 AM »
I’m sure there’ll be plenty to do. Last time we checked out the Mennonites. You could probably visit the nearest star fort, or whatever military fortification is in the neighbourhood.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2022, 11:24:34 AM »
An extra detail some folks may like to know: your room will have a small fridge, so if you take medication or have breast milk or baby formula that requires refrigeration you have facilities for that.  It also means:

4. Meals

If you have dietary needs or are badass frugal enough to want to brown bag the fend-for-yourself meals, you can bring your own food to CMTO - FIREscape.  Your room also has a microwave.

There will be some very-nearby places to buy food for meals as well as walking-distance options.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2022, 11:38:49 AM »
I’m sure there’ll be plenty to do. Last time we checked out the Mennonites. You could probably visit the nearest star fort, or whatever military fortification is in the neighbourhood.

If Sam visited Fort Henry, I suspect she's spend the day clandestinely taking photos and notes and prodding at the site to find a weakness to exploit in her next invasion.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2022, 11:51:02 AM »

If Sam visited Fort Henry, I suspect she's spend the day clandestinely taking photos and notes and prodding at the site to find a weakness to exploit in her next invasion.

Sam will probably choose to avoid any of the armed forces facilities.  People would automatically sense her experience and authority and she would be inundated by foolish young people bemoaning the medical consequences of their poor choices and describing the resultant colour changes of their bodily fluids.

Probably not how she wants to spend her vacation.  Probably.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2022, 12:49:11 PM »
I'll volunteer for post-FIRE panel if you want an oldie who technically is FI didn't RE.

Since I am trying to recruit DD and her family (tried every time, no luck so far), I may end up being on-site granny daycare some of the time while they attend.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2022, 03:24:59 PM »

I had you in mind to tap for one of these. I'll reach back eventually - thing is you are so versatile, I like to keep you as my backup for whatever is needed at the last minute.

Also, I recorded our meeting, if you want to listen in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZZY1jU7Lk0

PREEN PREEN PREEN.

I'M A FANCY BIRD.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2022, 08:45:52 AM »

PREEN PREEN PREEN.

I'M A FANCY BIRD.

Pride before the fall, etc.

I think you should lead a session that includes everyone rummaging through your cooler to see what groceries you bring. Also part of that session should include you making me a proper deli sandwich. I prefer Ham and cheese (swiss) on dark rye with kraut and spicy mustard, but I'll accept Montréal smoked meat.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2022, 09:14:21 AM »
I'd see reports in advance indicating a fall, and thus avoiding it.

Sandwiches?! Are you crazy?! The mustard would imbibe into the bread, ruining its integrity if you made it in advance. There will only be salads, and sushi. None to be shared. I will however have some socks to bribe Grant's partner in case I need something gotten from the river.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2022, 11:45:37 AM »
Wouldn't be CMTO without magic mil socks

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2022, 01:19:07 PM »
Look, if there's any rocking out with those socks out, I'm, uh, out. But, out-out, not socks out.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2022, 01:44:04 PM »
I'm but the dealer. You'll have to talk to the users if you don't want to see people using socks.

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2022, 08:56:50 PM »
Just saw this — don’t know if we can make it, but the hubster is interested, as amI so PTF.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2022, 02:04:05 PM »
Just saw this — don’t know if we can make it, but the hubster is interested, as amI so PTF.

Well now it's going to be a party!

I need to put up a recruitment ad. The field marking equipment for VolleyHockeyBall just came in.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2022, 02:09:00 PM »
POSITION AVAILABLE:

Wanted: Field Crew.
2 Positions. Maybe more.

Team of skilled individuals to lay out and mark a playing field to match the standards of the International VolleyHockeyBall Committee (The IVC). Individuals must understand what a rectangle is, what 3,4,5 triangle is, how to do layouts using a bit of rope and yelling, and how to measure using a surveyor's measuring tape. It is expected that you know what "alternating colours" means. Proficiency with a rattle can of field paint and one of those painty stick things that the guys who do locates use is expected.

Pay (in donuts) reflective of experience.
There is a test.

Apply at reception.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2022, 03:49:29 PM »
I WANT TO COME!!  The new location is much, much better for my logistics.  I am excited about water!

Need to go look at what plane tickets exist.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2022, 04:06:06 PM »
I WANT TO COME!!  The new location is much, much better for my logistics.  I am excited about water!

Need to go look at what plane tickets exist.

YAY!!! TARDISSS!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2022, 11:30:59 PM »
I have led sessions at past CMs/CampFIs/etc. on real estate, psychology of fire, travel hacking, and post-fire. Can do any of those, but I'm most excited about something else right now.

This is the current thrust of my panel for upcoming camp mustache Seattle:

Spoiler: show

TITLE: Why Your Early Retirement Isn't Early Enough: A Discussion About Semi-Early Retirement & the Time Value of Time.

DESCRIPTION: Most of us attending an event like this have rejected the traditional paradigm of "Work until you're 65+" in lieu of an early retirement. In this session, Joe is going to share why he thinks the conventional FIRE path of working for 10-20 years full bore and then quitting full stop is just as crazy, leading to burnout along the way and then years of "decompression."

So what's the solution? A hybrid-model of working and retiring early is an alternative to these two proposals. We often talk about the time value of money, but here we'll also talk about the time value of time and why you should be pulling the plug even earlier than you think via various methods of Semi-Early Retirement.

Happy to do a session on anything, if you need speakers. Happy to just attend, if you don't. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2022, 08:31:27 AM »
An important perspective ARS. One which may help some find workarounds they can tailor to their situation.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2022, 06:59:35 AM »
I have led sessions at past CMs/CampFIs/etc. on real estate, psychology of fire, travel hacking, and post-fire. Can do any of those, but I'm most excited about something else right now.

TITLE: Why Your Early Retirement Isn't Early Enough: A Discussion About Semi-Early Retirement & the Time Value of Time.

DESCRIPTION: Most of us attending an event like this have rejected the traditional paradigm of "Work until you're 65+" in lieu of an early retirement. In this session, Joe is going to share why he thinks the conventional FIRE path of working for 10-20 years full bore and then quitting full stop is just as crazy, leading to burnout along the way and then years of "decompression."

So what's the solution? A hybrid-model of working and retiring early is an alternative to these two proposals. We often talk about the time value of money, but here we'll also talk about the time value of time and why you should be pulling the plug even earlier than you think via various methods of Semi-Early Retirement.

Happy to do a session on anything, if you need speakers. Happy to just attend, if you don't. :)

Whether or not you do this at camp (or I can attend), I would lovvve to hear more about the topic. If you write anything on it anywhere please link it!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2022, 08:57:31 AM »
OK... we have enough sessions nailed down and enough interest from attendees that I've gone and done it... The deposit is paid, the expensive space is booked.

A few things you should know, many of which I have said before, but bear repeating...

1. Our event space is spread out with about 1km between our lunch shelter and our formal space, and an outdoor area in between. Bring walking shoes or a bike, or both. There is an outdoor bike rack you can lock to. Bike rentals are available locally, but they ain't cheap. I am working on a discount.
2. You will need to budget for 2 lunches and a dinner in addition to your camp fees. We will feed you on Day 1, but after that it's fend for yourself.
3. You will need to book your room separately from the camp ticket. We have arranged a group rate of $95 CAD per night. The property is strictly pet-free, as I was reminded this morning.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2022, 09:11:05 AM »
OOOOO, reality is here! 

This didn't sound like an official request for us to register?

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2022, 11:01:58 AM »

Whether or not you do this at camp (or I can attend), I would lovvve to hear more about the topic. If you write anything on it anywhere please link it!

+1

I am not able to attend this year. I need to pull the plug now!!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2022, 11:06:55 AM »

I need to pull the plug now!!!

Yes you do!!

I think every camp mustache/Fi event I've been to (10 now?) I've been able to convince at least one person, often more, to pull the plug earlier than they were planning (often shortly after camp). It's one of the most fun parts for me
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2022, 04:46:45 PM »
The property is strictly pet-free, as I was reminded this morning.

I assume it is similarly strictly toddler-free, and I’m looking forward to the weekend.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2022, 04:49:27 PM »
The property is strictly pet-free, as I was reminded this morning.

I assume it is similarly strictly toddler-free, and I’m looking forward to the weekend.

I thought that at your height, and with those cute dimples you'd be concerned with being endlessly carded at places with toddler bans.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2022, 06:23:52 PM »

Yes you do!!

I think every camp mustache/Fi event I've been to (10 now?) I've been able to convince at least one person, often more, to pull the plug earlier than they were planning (often shortly after camp). It's one of the most fun parts for me

I'm ready to be convinced. But I have only $500k in the market (well, quite a bit less as of late week) and $39k annual expenses. How can I quit??

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2022, 06:28:01 PM »

Yes you do!!

I'm ready to be convinced. But I have only $500k in the market (well, quite a bit less as of late week) and $39k annual expenses. How can I quit??
Creativity.  :)

Can you quit forever? No, likely not.

Can you shift to some sort of semi-ER that's likely much more fulfilling and affirming? Very likely.