Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto: "CMTO 2022: FIREscape"  (Read 17122 times)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto: "CMTO 2022: FIREscape"
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2022, 07:05:27 PM »
The property is strictly pet-free, as I was reminded this morning.

I assume it is similarly strictly toddler-free, and I’m looking forward to the weekend.

I thought that at your height, and with those cute dimples you'd be concerned with being endlessly carded at places with toddler bans.

You forgot the glint in my eye.

Road To Avonlea

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Embrace The Suck
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2022, 07:41:16 AM »
Super pumped for this, and the location sounds great!

I put in another order, so should have lots of socks for those with medium/large feet or those who like to wear medium/large socks...

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2022, 07:43:58 AM »
I WANT TO COME!!  The new location is much, much better for my logistics.  I am excited about water!

Need to go look at what plane tickets exist.

YAY!!! TARDISSS!!

As usual it's $900 for flights alone without any other transit...  eugh.  I want to come.  I also want to go somewhere warm this year (it snowed again last night ffs).  Choices....

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2022, 07:56:01 AM »
Super pumped for this, and the location sounds great!

I put in another order, so should have lots of socks for those with medium/large feet or those who like to wear medium/large socks...

"feet"

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2022, 08:59:13 AM »
What is the current exchange rate on maple fluff for Jiffys?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2022, 09:07:24 AM »
What is the current exchange rate on maple fluff for Jiffys?

Sadly, this camp will be fluff-free. Our fluffer isn't available to fluff for us this year.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2022, 10:13:57 AM »
Sigh.  I thought this was a commercial product.  I was going to try to source some from an alternate Canadian smuggler, err, snowbird friend.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2022, 06:55:47 PM »
So Momma and I spent tonight drafting an email.

You think we should send it out soon?

MrsProspector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2022, 08:14:49 PM »
Camp Mustache Toronto (CMTO) “FIREscape”

Break out that calendar and put a big star on June 1, 2022 -- Registration for Camp Mustache Toronto FIREscape opens on June 1, 2022 at 0800 EST, Sharp! You likely need all the details… well, keep on reading, ‘cause we’ve got ‘em all! 

What is Camp Mustache Toronto FIREscape?
The fourth annual (not counting “those years”) CMTO will have three days of fun, friends and finances -- Friday meals, all presentations and many activities are all included in the registration fee!

Why come to Camp?
Do your friends think you’re ‘weird about money’?  Come to camp and make new friends – people who ‘get’ your FIRE lifestyle.
Been on the FIRE path for a while?  Come to camp and learn from people who are farther along on this journey.  What’s life really like post FIRE?

When is it?
Camp Mustache Toronto FIREscape is September 30 – Oct 2, 2022.

Where is Camp Mustache Toronto held?
BIG NEWS! This year we have a new location about halfway between Kingston and Toronto. The resort (and we use that term VERY loosely) location is about a two and a half hour drive from Toronto airport, just under three hours from Syracuse airport, and about two and a half hours from the Ottawa Airport. It’s pretty dang fancy by CMTO standards overlooking Lake Ontario, and with two pools, a gym, tennis courts, and even microwaves and fridges right in your room!

For security reasons, the actual venue location will only be released to ticket holders.

How Much Will Camp Mustache Toronto cost?
Tickets for camp will be $175CAD - (Currently about $135 USD) Note that this event fee is non refundable, and non-transferable.

While we expect this event will run, and is in a safe, responsible venue, we cannot guarantee what the future holds. Unfortunately we cannot refund in the event of disaster, pandemic closures, or other situations beyond our control. In the event that the camp cannot run, we may attempt to distribute remaining funds equally among ticket holders  once disbursements and costs are accounted for, however participants should be aware that this event does not generate profit, and a refund of the camp fee of $175 is not to be expected.

Rooms are booked separately through the resort for $95CAD (plus taxes) per room, per night on our special CMTO FIREscape group rate. This rate includes a free continental breakfast and use of all amenities on site.

Our group rate allows you flexibility to book your own room or share with a friend and save costs. Rooms are either 1 king bed, or 2 queen beds - either choice is at the same price. We have held 50 rooms at this heavily discounted rate.

Room refunds are between the participant and the venue; however, our booking contract allows you to cancel your room for full refund up to Sept. 26th.

How do I get a ticket?
Unlike past years, CMTO FIREscape tickets will be first come, first served. Once they are gone, they are gone. Given our short timeline, and competing priorities, we simply do not have resources to manage a lottery or waitlist. Watch for the signup email on June 1st, and get your payment in as soon as your registration is confirmed to secure your spot.

What payment options exist?
Payment options will be detailed in the forthcoming registration email, however, the most likely will be via bank transfer (Canadians) or PayPal (all participants). Some payment methods may have fees.

How many people are coming?
We have about 60 available spots.  CMTO has always sold out quickly, generally right after registration opens.

Who Can come?
Whoever gets a ticket – All are welcome!  Registration opens on June 1, 2022 at 0800EDT and successful registrants will receive an email with registration/payment instructions.  Stay tuned to this thread for more info. Your space is only guaranteed once your ticket payment is received.

Can I bring my Spouse/Kids?
If you buy them a ticket, yes they can come. All adults pay the same rate. Children are free; however, we cannot provide food for children.

Can I bring my dog?
No. The venue strictly prohibits dogs on the property. Please leave them at home or at a local kennel.

What is included in the registration fee?
3 days and 2 nights at CMTO FIREscape including Friday meals and all presentations, participation in the world famous Volley-Hockey-Ball tournament, and a pile of great conversation and story sharing. A schwag bag is also being assembled.

What are the presentations?
The CMTO FIREscape Organising Committee members are currently planning the sessions and presentations –  please reach out if you have an idea for a topic or speaker.   There will be topics of general interest to Mustachians, as well as "Core subject matter" such as financials, careers, and post-RE lifestyle.  There will be sessions geared to those new to FIRE as well as those farther along in their FIRE journey.

Current proposals include “How to beat marketers at their own game”, “Building tribe” and “Strategic investing.” We welcome your suggestions for topics of interest.

More questions? 
Ask away by reply email or to the social media accounts below.

We're so excited to be planning our fourth Camp Mustache Toronto Weekend, and our first FIREscape!  Come and join us!

All the best,
CMTO FIREscape Organising Committee
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 08:21:04 PM by Mrs.Prospector »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2022, 08:51:23 PM »
OOooooOOooooooo!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2022, 07:44:21 AM »
OOooooOOooooooo!

You know if you were an Ontario resident, you could apply the hotel expenses against the Ontario Staycation tax credit for a 20% discount on lodging, bringing your room rate down to about $80 per night.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-staycation-tax-credit

Which would make this extra OOooooOOooooooo!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 07:46:10 AM by Le Poisson »

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2022, 07:50:07 AM »
OOooooOOooooooo!

You know if you were an Ontario resident, you could apply the hotel expenses against the Ontario Staycation tax credit for a 20% discount on lodging, bringing your room rate down to about $80 per night.

I hadn't even thought of that!

Excellent point, Fish.  👍🤑

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2022, 09:24:48 AM »
OOooooOOooooooo!

I hadn't even thought of that!

Excellent point, Fish.  👍🤑

Added incentive!  This is the perfect year to "splurge" on our accommodation.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2022, 11:26:14 PM »
Is this the place to look for roommates?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2022, 08:16:31 AM »
Wanna bunk with us? We have a small baby who wakes up crying.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2022, 02:18:01 PM »
Is this the place to look for roommates?

Once people have their tickets (June 1, just a few more days!) this, or the dedicated forum space created for CMTO - FIREscape attendees, is probably a good spot to look for roommates!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2022, 07:05:56 PM »
Woohoo---so exciting!!  Thanks to the Fishes, the Prospectors, and the rest of the FIREscape team!!!

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2022, 01:41:09 PM »
How Much Will Camp Mustache Toronto cost?
Tickets for camp will be $175CAD - (Currently about $135 USD) Note that this event fee is non refundable, and non-transferable.

This may be obvious to those who are not chronically sleep deprived due to newborn, but does non-transferable here mean "the fee can't be transferred to another camp" or "tickets can't be resold/transferred to someone else for this camp"? I recall resale being allowed in the past.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2022, 04:19:31 PM »
Good question Novik, and thanks for highlighting it.

With our compressed timeliness and all the hurdles we are jumping this year, we (I) just don't have the spoons to juggle ticket swaps etc.

Camp is in 3.5 months, so most folks should have a handle on what their life will look like in September and we feel like making this final sale is both fair, and simple.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2022, 11:39:06 AM »
For sure reasonable, thanks for clarifying/confirming.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2022, 09:18:34 AM »
As we work on details of camp, and try to finalize all the final things, I wonder, what is the worst swag you've received at an event you've been to? There must be some good stories out there.

I've been handed so many squishy traffic lights and hard hats that I just nope out now. But I've also gotten some surprisingly handy stuff and a few really nice pens. Anyone who hands me a pre-loaded USB drive with their product info should beware that thing will be wiped clean and repurposed without me ever seeing what was on it.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2022, 10:05:29 AM »
As we work on details of camp, and try to finalize all the final things, I wonder, what is the worst swag you've received at an event you've been to? There must be some good stories out there.

I've been handed so many squishy traffic lights and hard hats that I just nope out now. But I've also gotten some surprisingly handy stuff and a few really nice pens. Anyone who hands me a pre-loaded USB drive with their product info should beware that thing will be wiped clean and repurposed without me ever seeing what was on it.

Koozies  / can insulators - what a waste!
Foam stress “balls” (or globe or other shape)
Cheap pens (good pens are a joy!)
Branded chip clips (usually so cheap that they don’t work)
Mardi Gras beads

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2022, 10:17:19 AM »
That's funny. Chip clips are some of my favorite swag!

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2022, 10:22:35 AM »
I like the koozies!!  Just goes to show you won't please everyone. 
Maybe set up the question as a poll to see popularity?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2022, 10:28:31 AM »
Hey @Cannot Wait! - while you're here... is it faster to get between Kingston and Syracuse via the bridge or the Wolfe Island & Cape Vincent Ferries? asking for some American friends who are trying to budget for air tix for some event in late September.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2022, 10:29:51 AM »

If they actually worked I would love it, but so far the ones I have gotten don’t really work, and they are heavy and their own weight pulls them off the bag.  Working chip clips would be great.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2022, 10:31:59 AM »

I've decided to get CMTO Cheese graters and toilet brushes. Practical, regularly used, and everyone needs a new one. Or at least I do.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2022, 10:40:47 AM »

I've decided to get CMTO Cheese graters and toilet brushes. Practical, regularly used, and everyone needs a new one. Or at least I do.

Volleyhockey ball will get even more weird and challenging.  Ken Shabby would greatly appreciate the toilet brush

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2022, 10:48:03 AM »
Hey @Cannot Wait! - while you're here... is it faster to get between Kingston and Syracuse via the bridge or the Wolfe Island & Cape Vincent Ferries? asking for some American friends who are trying to budget for air tix for some event in late September.
2hr 50 minutes, no tolls via the ferries OR
2hrs 14 minutes,  bridge toll according to Google maps.
Toll is around US$5.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2022, 12:05:07 PM »
Ditto. I have several magnetic chip clips I got as swag and they are much loved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2022, 01:44:21 PM »
Tiny note pads.  I have so many of those from gardening conferences. 
Cheap pens and pencils and mechanical pencils.
Fat pens, not all of us have big hands.
Cheap insulated car mugs, the ones with thin lips that don't feel nice when you drink from them.

Nice to have if you don't already have one -
good pen, mechanical pencil
Regular size pad of paper.
I was going to say Nice clipboard (ideally with a cover), but I just checked Staples and they are pricey.

What are chip clips? Never mind, I googled, they are bag clips.  Which are handy for closing bags of sugar etc.

If I manage to get a ticket I don't really need a swag bag at all.  No I am not minimalist, I am old and my apartment is full.   ;-)

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2022, 05:55:06 PM »
My least favorite swag is T-shirts that only come in unisex (aka men's) sizes.

Socks are nice. Stickers, magnets.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2022, 08:21:39 PM »
I don’t like swag, because of the associated feeling of being suddenly responsible for the life cycle of some little plastic thingum I didn’t even want in the first place. I feel guilty throwing it away unused, but I also hate accumulating that kind of stuff.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2022, 08:16:45 AM »
Tomorrow folks... tomorrow is the day. At 8:00 AM we will be posting here and sending out an email with a link to a registration form, and the first 50 people to click "send" on that completed form will be going to camp. We have about 15 spots already taken with org committee (and their partners) and helpers (and their partners), and I think that we will sell out pretty quick.

Who will be up at 8, refreshing the thread?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2022, 08:31:55 AM »
8am?  I feel for the west coast people.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2022, 09:38:15 AM »

In the words of my high school track coach, "You gotta wanna if you wanna win."

...I'm still not sure what that means.

But yeah, that is 5AM for west coasters.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2022, 10:03:59 AM »
Does the org committee honor the Dibs system?

If so... dibs.

P.s. 8am?! That time doesn't exist

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2022, 01:32:36 PM »

Hahaha,  yes, we can tell who's not FIRE'd yet!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2022, 02:28:22 PM »
I'll take five please. With fries.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2022, 03:39:27 PM »
Speaking of fries - I'm going to miss the kid centric meals of the past camps!
Or have you planned on meatballs for the Friday night meal?!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2022, 05:36:35 PM »
Does the org committee honor the Dibs system?

If so... dibs.

You have a baby.  You can be up any time.

I'm retired - I like to sleep in.   ;-)

But yeah, DIBS!!!  For 1.  I know, 8 am at the computer.   ;-(

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2022, 05:58:07 PM »

That means the people who sign up between 8:00am-8:05am tomorrow get equally divided between the VolleyHockeyBall teams to prevent a blowout loss.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2022, 06:08:27 PM »

That means the people who sign up between 8:00am-8:05am tomorrow get equally divided between the VolleyHockeyBall teams to prevent a blowout loss.

We have a vacancy on the VolleyHockeyBall oversight committee.  If anyone wants to take Okits place, please let me know.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2022, 06:10:28 PM »

This east coaster has been on the west coast for the past week (and still is). Very bad timing on my part.

I am currently wearing my first ever women's sized camp t-shirt!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2022, 06:18:23 PM »

We have a vacancy on the VolleyHockeyBall oversight committee.  If anyone wants to take Okits place, please let me know.

Rude.  I'm leaving an honest review on Glassdoor. 😛

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #145 on: May 31, 2022, 06:56:30 PM »
I was told it’s inappropriate to publicly allow my catholic guilt re:swag to impinge on other’s good time and bonhomie. Apologies. Apparently I’ll be experiencing a 10 minute ‘penalty’ due to my Eyore nature. Seems a bit harsh, but I guess this is what happens when you give a Fish some small power.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2022, 08:29:46 PM »
Dibs too. I'll even take a free toilet brush if I get a place.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 02:47:37 AM by happy »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2022, 08:48:59 PM »

This east coaster has been on the west coast for the past week (and still is). Very bad timing on my part.

I am currently wearing my first ever women's sized camp t-shirt!

That is one SNAZZY T-shirt.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2022, 05:53:27 AM »
*taps fingers*

MrsProspector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2022, 05:58:07 AM »
*taps fingers*

You waiting on something?? ;) I dunno, should I make a post soon.......