Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO 2019  (Read 46525 times)

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
It was great last year!  Posting to follow!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
So we have about a week and a half until the lottery opens. In that time I need to reach back to teh camp kitchen to confirm food prices for this year, and we need to apply some lessons learned from past years and from Camp FI to make our event more manageable to the org com and to make it more enjoyable to our campers.

From what we've seen at Camp FI, it looks like CM*TO's schedule could be more open. I find this interesting since we've received a full spectrum of feedback on the busy-ness of camp. Some want more 'organized activity', some want less, and many feel like its about right. I like the appeal of the 'unschedule' that the other camps have where most sessions are just topics on a bulletin board similar to our ad-hoc sessions last year, but the planner in me wants to be sure folks have content worth planning to attend for.

I dunno how we do both, but I think we can make it happen... and encourage the sort of organic, crowd-pleasing, fun things that come of their own accord.

Can't wait to see how the lottery pans out and who ends up getting bunks.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Attention everyone...

I've been in touch with the CM*TO venue operators this week, and it looks like their costs are going up again this year. I didn't want to have our price change two years in a row but I see no alternative - we will have to go with $275 per person this year in response to an increase in food and staffing costs for the camp.

This will mean some adjustments to our planning with regards to the $USD price quoted by @elaine amj  and a few other things, but it boils down to the gate price being raised by $10CAD to offset the adjusted prices.

I'm going to have the price adjustment made in post 1 here, and will keep everyone posted with any other camp news as it comes up. At least $275 is an easy number to remember though???

Sorry. I hate doing this.

Prosp-oisson.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
+ Much cheaper than any other camp.
+ It's their costs charged to you, not something you can control.
+ Well, well worth it.
= Nothing to apologize for.

The breakout sessions question is an interesting one.

Maybe make it participant driven? People post on private discussion forum sessions they'd like to see, or lead. Other participants vote on what they'd like to attend.

Then open time is created for those that seem popular, and/or someone wants to do just because they enjoy, even if not super popular. No work for Org committee figuring out schedules (just open time), and people can get what they want.

And if it doesn't seem like that's panning out after a couple months of discussion, Org committee could add in some they think would be good at that point.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Camp Mustache Toronto - Sept 19-23/2019 Join us!
One week until the CM*TO Lottery opens up! That's right, Feb 1, 2019 9:00 am EST the CM*TO lottery will open up

FAQ:
Where do I enter the Lottery!

- A link will be sent out at 9:00 on Feb 1 via email. not on the mailing list? sign up here: http://eepurl.com/gcG8LX
- A link will be posted to this fb page
- A link will be posted on the MMM forum

How Much Will Camp Mustache Toronto cost?
The goal is to have tickets be approximately $275 Canadian Dollars. Refunds are not available, however bunks may be resold up until the deadline of July 15 when we lock down participant logistics.

Can I pay in US dollars?
Yes! For our south of the border Mustachians, we will have the option to pay in US funds (paypal, etransfer or cheque). February 2019 payments will be processed at about $210 US. Further information will be available in the email you will receive if your lottery entry is successful.

Can I bring outside food?
The venue limits outside foods strictly. All outside food must be in its original packaging and be marked peanut free. No homemade foods are allowed.

Can I bring my Spouse/Kids?
If you buy them a ticket, yes they can come. All adults pay the same rate. Infants (2 and under) are free however they will have to either cosleep or have a pack-n-play to sleep in. No beds are allocated to infants.

Can I bring my dog?
The camp venue strictly prohibits dogs on the property, including inside your private vehicle/recreational vehicle if parked on camp property. You can look into a kennel nearby.

What is included in the registration fee?
3 days and 2 nights at CM*TO including meals, a bunk bed, and all presentations.

What are the presentations?
The CM*TO Organizing Committee are currently planning the sessions and presentations – please reach out if you have an idea for a topic or speaker. There will be topics of general interest to Mustachians, as well as "Core subject matter" such as financials, careers, and post-RE lifestyle. There will be sessions geared to those new to FIRE as well as those farther along in their FIRE journey.

More questions? Ask away!

We're so excited to be planning our third Camp Mustache Toronto Weekend! Join us!

Camp Mustache Toronto Organizing Committee (LP)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:38:27 AM by CampMustacheToronto »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Let me see if I understand this correctly...

1. I get up in the middle of the night, and make my bleary eyed way to my computer.
2. I look at this thread and wait until 9am your time (1am ours) and find a link. OR I receive am email at this time (since I already received one email from you, I assume I will get another) and use that link
3. I use the link to register.
4. I fall asleep while registering, and miss out.

Is that right?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Deb, If you had what it takes to make that post at 08h00 my time, then you have what it takes to stay up one more hour to register in the lottery.

@arebelspy - thanks for the support. I think we are on nearly the same page with the schedule, but we have months to figure this out. Not sweating it.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
So the process is correct?

Hopefully, in February, we won’t be in the middle of yet another heatwave, where it’s over 30C at midnight, so I cannot sleep.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:22:40 AM by deborah »

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
If you are on the mailing list, you should have received a "one-week to go!" email this morning around 9:00 am EST.  If you didn't and you think you should have, please check your spam and add us to your mailing list!

Camp Mustache Toronto Organizing Committee (LP)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:39:30 AM by CampMustacheToronto »

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
It's coming! It's coming!

We've been prepping ourselves to make sure we have the cash on hand to act as the US banker again :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
If anyone still has a toque/beanie from CMC-2017, could you measure how big the logo on it was and PM me the dimensions.

Thanks.
Poisson.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
If anyone still has a toque/beanie from CMC-2017, could you measure how big the logo on it was and PM me the dimensions.

Thanks.
Poisson.

I have it but it is in the garage (I wear it to clear the sidewalk when I have been away).  Dimensions much later (if I remember).

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Numbers sent

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Numbers sent
Thanks Deborah, now I don't have to find a measuring tape.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
Unfortunately one of my college roommates and longtime friend is getting married this year on CM*TO weekend, so I won't be able to attend.  The logistics of trying to make both events just doesn't work out, so the Grant Gang will be down 1 member.

Love has consequences =/

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
That's okay, I'll find a pinch hitter

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Unfortunately one of my college roommates and longtime friend is getting married this year on CM*TO weekend, so I won't be able to attend.  The logistics of trying to make both events just doesn't work out, so the Grant Gang will be down 1 member.

Love has consequences =/

You know, we've never hosted a wedding at camp before, but there is space available, and I mean, saying their vows on the high ropes would be a show of trust.

Ask them if pulled pork would be a suitable wedding meal.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

Love has consequences =/

You know, we've never hosted a wedding at camp before, but there is space available, and I mean, saying their vows on the high ropes would be a show of trust.

Pretty sure the facility regularly hosts weddings!

I want to see a camp chant battle between the bride’s side and the groom’s side.  😁 (Or bride #1 and bride #2’s side, or groom #1 and groom #2’s side, or celebrant #1 and celebrant #2’s side...  We could do Wedding vs. Rest of Camp teams for VolleyHockeyBall!)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Love has consequences =/

*chortle*

Came here to say...it's almost time!!!!  Apparently there is no emoji for the tension/excitement/anticipation feeling I have, so I leave it up to each of you to imagine that here:

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger

Love has consequences =/

Pretty sure the facility regularly hosts weddings!

I want to see a camp chant battle between the bride’s side and the groom’s side.  😁 (Or bride #1 and bride #2’s side, or groom #1 and groom #2’s side, or celebrant #1 and celebrant #2’s side...  We could do Wedding vs. Rest of Camp teams for VolleyHockeyBall!)

Hahaha, I'll float the idea to them, but I'm fairly certain they're set on a traditional comically spendypants wedding.  They've already sent out save the dates to all 100-something guests, and it was all I could do not to spawn more hobgoblins at them as they explained their tragically expensive plans while playing D&D. 

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Their loss is our loss. Too bad you won't be there.

FWIW, Momma and I just went over the lottery announcement email, and the current email list (the email list alone is over 200 names long with about 20 new names in the past 2 days). We are set for 09h00 sharp.

Watch for a post here, and in the most recent CM*TO thread, and on facebook, and on twitter.

The lottery is set to accept 100 names. From that list we will set up a randomizer to pick names until the bunks are filled. You should know if you got a bunk within a few days. After that, we pull from the 100 lottery entrants to replace people who either don't pay or change plans before paying. Basically, be at a computer at 09h00 tomorrow AM. If there was ever a reason to get to the office on time, this is it.

(And get on the lottery email list NOW in case the forum is down: https://t.co/2o4sNt0z2v )

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
One hour to liftoff... get your fingers ready to click the link!!

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:22:27 AM by CampMustacheToronto »

Novik

• Pencil Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO - Lottery Open!
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2019, 07:01:28 AM »
Are we supposed to need a google account with permissions? I'm getting issues with that right now

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2019, 07:02:12 AM »
I got that when I clicked on the link here but when I click on the link in the email I was able to get right in.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2019, 07:02:35 AM »
Check email, I had the same problem. Email works.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2019, 07:02:47 AM »
I got that when I clicked on the link here but when I click on the link in the email I was able to get right in.

Yep, this happened to me, too.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2019, 07:03:40 AM »
Here's the link from the email.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2019, 07:05:20 AM »
Me 5 - got this message :

You need permission

Want in? Ask for access, or switch to an account with permission. Learn more

Good thing I was also on email, even thought the email was a bit slower to show up.

I have this image in my head of over 200 people sitting alertly by their computers, waiting for THE MOMENT!!!

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2019, 07:06:28 AM »
Thank you for the many tips on this. My inbox didn't have an email yet when I posted but does now, and you're all right - it worked like a charm.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2019, 07:07:12 AM »
Gosh--that's the most stressed I have been since I retired!  :D

Nudel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2019, 07:11:01 AM »

LOL! Ditto!

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2019, 07:11:43 AM »
50 entrants received so far.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2019, 07:12:30 AM »
So if I successfully submitted the form, that means I am in the lottery?

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2019, 07:14:06 AM »
So if I successfully submitted the form, that means I am in the lottery?

Correct. We'll cut it off at 100 entrants. I note that some have entered twice. The filter is doing it's job. Yay.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2019, 07:20:53 AM »
Done. I've uttered a quiet prayer to the Old Gods and to hedge my bets to The Seven as well. Hopefully it is meant to be. :)

Me 5 - got this message :

You need permission

Want in? Ask for access, or switch to an account with permission. Learn more

This happened to me too! Took me ten minutes to figure it out!

YES!

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2019, 07:23:36 AM »

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2019, 07:50:36 AM »
Done. I've uttered a quiet prayer to the Old Gods and to hedge my bets to The Seven as well. Hopefully it is meant to be. :)

WOOT!!!! Does this mean you might come to CM*TO AND MA??? I could see you twice this year???

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2019, 07:58:52 AM »
I'm going to bed - it's calling me.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2019, 08:13:43 AM »

WOOT!!!! Does this mean you might come to CM*TO AND MA??? I could see you twice this year???

Possibly! But even if I don't get a ticket to Camp I'll be in your state for sure.

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2019, 08:48:54 AM »
Whoo Hoo the lottery is filling up!

Don't delay, enter soon!

Please follow this link to enter the Camp Mustache Toronto Bunk Lottery.

(LP)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »

LOL! Ditto!
Me too. Lucky I had Deborah on the phone to calm me down when the link wouldn't work.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2019, 04:03:14 PM »
I guess I have to flex some spreadsheet skills again since money should start rolling in soon (Too bad it has to roll right back out again!)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2019, 08:22:01 PM »
I think I entered the lottery earlier today, but did not receive any communication back.  Should I have?  Please advise.

Sorry, I'm not great with tech.

Embok

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2019, 08:35:10 PM »
I think I entered the lottery earlier today, but did not receive any communication back.  Should I have?  Please advise.

Sorry, I'm not great with tech.

Embok
Neither did I.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2019, 08:40:38 PM »
Hi @Embok and @deborah, both of you are in the entrants.

If you got into the form, you got entered in the lottery. It's not closed yet.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2019, 10:58:18 PM »
Hi @Embok and @deborah, both of you are in the entrants.

If you got into the form, you got entered in the lottery. It's not closed yet.

This is exceedingly good news, as I have been disorganized lately and didn't enter until...hmm almost 12 hours after it opened.  Was afraid I had no shot.  Happy day!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2019, 06:30:56 AM »
Right now we have 99 ppl in the lottery (Entrants plus partners). So there is literally only one spot left... but we still need to weed out a few duplicates that got past the filter and see what the number lands on. I would bet that there are really about 6 spots left after a quick browse through the list.

If you entered yesterday, you are in for sure. If you enter today, I'll have an email sent back confirming you got in.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:34:05 AM by Le Poisson »

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2019, 08:28:54 AM »
That's awesome, Le Poisson!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »
That's awesome, Le Poisson!

Momma just removed all duplicate couples and we are able to accept 10 more entries before we randomize and take the top 60.

We'll shut the form down as soon as we hit that number. If you follow this link and get into the form, you still have a chance.

https://goo.gl/forms/PSSUvCZXzMXMNrmb2