Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO 2019  (Read 46540 times)

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Camp Mustache Toronto - Sept 19-23/2019 Join us!
Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO 2019
« on: December 27, 2018, 03:15:33 PM »
Happy almost New Year MMM Forum Folk! 

What is Camp Mustache Toronto?
The third annual CM*TO is three days of fun, friends and finances -- 2 nights accommodations, all meals, presentations and activities are all included in the registration fee!

When is it?
This year's Camp Mustache Toronto is being held September 20 – 22, 2019.

Why come to Camp?
    - Are you new to FIRE?  Come to camp and learn how to put the building blocks of FIRE in place in your life.
    - Do your friends think you’re ‘weird about money’?  Come to camp and make new friends – people who ‘get’ your FIRE lifestyle.
    - Been on the FIRE path for a while?  Come to camp and learn from people who are farther down this journey.  What’s life like really like post FIRE?

Where is Camp Mustache Toronto held?
This will be our third year hosting Camp at a private retreat located between Buffalo and Toronto, on the Canadian side.  The retreat location is about an hour and a half drive from Toronto and just under two hours from Buffalo airport.
For security reasons, the actual venue will only be released to ticket holders.

How Much Will Camp Mustache Toronto cost?
The goal is to have tickets be approximately $275 Canadian Dollars. Refunds are not available, however bunks may be resold up until the deadline of July 15 when we lock down participant logistics. 

Can I pay in US dollars?
Yes!  For our south of the border Mustachians, we will have the option to pay in US funds (paypal, etransfer or cheque).  February 2019 payments will be processed at about $210 US.  Further information will be available in the email you will receive if your lottery entry is successful. 

How many people are coming?
We have about 60 available bunks.  Camp has sold out the last two years, generally soon after registration opens.  A waiting list will be established.

Who Can come?
Whoever gets a ticket – All are welcome!  Registration opens on February 1, 2019 at 0900 and successful registrants will receive an email with registration/payment instructions.  Stay tuned to this thread for more info.

Can I bring outside food?
The venue limits outside foods strictly. All outside food must be in its original packaging and be marked peanut free. No homemade foods are allowed.

Can I bring my Spouse/Kids?
If you buy them a ticket, yes they can come. All adults pay the same rate. Infants (2 and under) are free however they will have to either cosleep or have a pack-n-play to sleep in. No beds are allocated to infants.

Can I bring my dog/Pet?
The camp venue strictly prohibits dogs on the property, including inside your private vehicle/recreational vehicle if parked on camp property.  Kennels may be available nearby.  If you bring your dog or Pet, you will be asked to leave.  We have been made aware that this has been an issue in the past.

What is included in the registration fee?
3 days and 2 nights at CM*TO including meals, a bunk bed, and all presentations. A schwag bag is also being assembled.

Who will be my room mates?
Our venue has 2 beds per room, and guests are welcome to choose their own room mates. Final ticket sales will include a form requesting all roommates be identified. This will then be confirmed before the room is set.
 If you have no room mate preference, you will be assigned to a room at random, however you will NOT be assigned a coed room.

What are the presentations?
The CM*TO Organizing Committee are currently planning the sessions and presentations –  please reach out if you have an idea for a topic or speaker.   There will be topics of general interest to Mustachians, as well as "Core subject matter" such as financials, careers, and post-RE lifestyle.  There will be sessions geared to those new to FIRE as well as those farther along in their FIRE journey.

More questions?  Ask away!

We're so excited to be planning our third Camp Mustache Toronto Weekend!  Join us!

Camp Mustache Toronto Organizing Committee

(Last Edit by Le Poisson on Jan 23, 2019 @ 8:45 PM)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:19:22 PM by CampMustacheToronto »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
PTF

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
Oh look, I'm second.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Oh look, I'm second.

So you are.  (SQUEEEEEE!!  Samuel is coming to camp?!)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
Oh look, I'm second.

Perhaps. September is still the end of the American fiscal year, and I'm still the second fucker aboard the Broke Down Palace. But there is a slim chance. Once I have dates, I can sniv the chit, and see if I can find an augmenting fucker.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
PTF. When is 9am? Canadian Ontario time? Or some other time?

Sounds grand. Sailor Sam!!!! Another CM*TO!!! The others have been fantastic.

happy

• Walrus Stache
PTF, so glad to see this thread open up, I've been waiting for it.

SnakesintheGrass

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
Awesome!!  Attending CM*TO Camp in 2016 was a game-changer for us -- took us from 'maybe we could pull off this early retirement thing' to 'WE ARE DOING THIS'. 

It was also the first time in our lives we could talk to people about money who really **got** us.   

If anyone is on the fence, take the chance, jump in -- you won't regret it!!

Mr/Mrs Snakes in the Grass (Arni and Beth)

radram

• Pencil Stache
PTF. When is 9am? Canadian Ontario time? Or some other time?

From original post:  0900 EST

I will call this posting to follow, while being helpful :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Glad to see camp is official and has its thread!  9AM Friday February 1 EST, right.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
Whoo

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
For anyone considering this but uncertain, I will just add that it is awesome!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Oh look, I'm second.

Perhaps. September is still the end of the American fiscal year, and I'm still the second fucker aboard the Broke Down Palace. But there is a slim chance. Once I have dates, I can sniv the chit, and see if I can find an augmenting fucker.

Sniv the chit! Sniv the chit! Sniv the chit!

I don't even know what this means, but it seems to be the key to getting days off work. Even someone as introverted as I can usually find an augmenting sucker fucker.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
What country names it’s THIRD most easterly time zone EST? And why didn’t I know this, when I have just come back from two months of hopping between the three most easterly time zones, and almost missing a ferry because of them (and what ferry leaves 1.5hours earlier than the time in the time zone it is actually leaving from)?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
In

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Yes, it will be 09h00 Toronto time. If you aren't sure what that is, I suggest that you ask Google because I may know that we are in EST, but I have no idea whether it is currently DST, or if we are standard time. I just know we turn the clocks back sometime in the fall.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
What country names it’s THIRD most easterly time zone EST? And why didn’t I know this, when I have just come back from two months of hopping between the three most easterly time zones, and almost missing a ferry because of them (and what ferry leaves 1.5hours earlier than the time in the time zone it is actually leaving from)?

Dateandtime.com says:

Newfoundland's Time Zone

Newfoundland, in Canadas most easterly province Newfoundland and Labrador, follows its own time zone. The standard time is Newfoundland Standard Time (NST), which is UTC-3:30. Newfoundland Daylight Time (NDT), the island's Daylight Saving Time, is UTC-2:30.

The reason for the unique 30-minute time zone is twofold: In terms of solar mean time, Newfoundland is located almost exactly 3.5 hours from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) which is based on the prime meridian (0° longitude). The second reason is that Newfoundland was a separate dominion when time zones were established in Canada.

I figured it had something to do with the date they joined Confederation but the solar mean time thing is interesting.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
Must not lose this thread... planning to make the trek this year and super excited!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Must not lose this thread... planning to make the trek this year and super excited!

You're going to have to watch for updates closely if you are making plans. Right now the twitter feed has close to 100 followers, and the FB group has another 30 or so. I know some overlap but there is definately interest from the chooseFI and other MMM communication streams. Just remember that quick fingers get spots.

Novik

• Pencil Stache

You're going to have to watch for updates closely if you are making plans. Right now the twitter feed has close to 100 followers, and the FB group has another 30 or so. I know some overlap but there is definately interest from the chooseFI and other MMM communication streams. Just remember that quick fingers get spots.

I'll have to start my fingers speed exercises tonight then!  In all seriousness, I've got the need for speed in mind, with a few reminders for the important 9am Feb 1 deadline.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache

I am worried. My fingers are slow to react.

I wanted to change my username to Lazy Daisy after FIRE, but was too lazy to do so.

EDIT: Removed reference to a poster's previous username and removed after being called out by another poster. I'm sorry if I outed anyone. :-(
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:35:35 PM by Daisy »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym

You're going to have to watch for updates closely if you are making plans. Right now the twitter feed has close to 100 followers, and the FB group has another 30 or so. I know some overlap but there is definitely interest from the chooseFI and other MMM communication streams. Just remember that quick fingers get spots.

I'll have to start my fingers speed exercises tonight then!  In all seriousness, I've got the need for speed in mind, with a few reminders for the important 9am Feb 1 deadline.

I hope you make it in.  I hope I make it in too!

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Speaking of 'other social media' (Twitter, FB, Instagram)...we are looking to post some CM*TO photos to give newbies an idea of the awesomeness that is CM*TO.

If anyone has photos from either of the previous Camp Mustache Toronto weekends, and is willing to have those re-posted on various social media, can you please post them here in this thread?  If anyone other than yourself is in the photo can you please confirm they are okay too.   

Many thanks -- and Happy New Year everyone!

MrsProspector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
For anyone who is worried about missing a camp update on the forums.... you are welcome to fill out the form here: http://eepurl.com/gcG8LX to be added to the e-mailing list.

Should the camp info become no longer relevant, there's also a handy "unsubscribe" feature :)

Cheers!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
The ropes course was so cool last year :) Hope we get to do that and canoeing again!

Of course, the best parts are all the awesome impromptu discussions with other Mustachians. It sure is a friendly bunch!

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

happy

• Walrus Stache
@deborah. Does this mean we have to set our alarm clocks to some unGodly hour AND type fast once awoken?

happy

• Walrus Stache
Looks like 1am on Feb 2nd. This could be the first challenge of the camp.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Looks like 1am on Feb 2nd. This could be the first challenge of the camp.

I believe in you Happy. You can do it!!!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
There is currently some discussion about me giving a seminar. I think it’s just someone’s fun, but if it eventuates, we may not need to get up in the middle of the night. See https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/a-drawer-of-one's-own-in-dc/msg2245905/#msg2245905

SnakesintheGrass

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
I’m working on getting permission from some of the other people in my photos from CM*TO — but in the meantime, here’s a teaser:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMg7oPji4yZzXNay0jmLqX46LVMxlaWNiRJW0Ecu-TId47NVPqZHlx_thZwUgb7Sw?key=TklMSlAxLVNxQnI2VWplYVdPTDdCZ3JVOVM3QTl3

Such a lovely place to spend a fall weekend in Ontario!

Mrs. Snakes in the Grass (Beth)

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
I am in for Deborah's seminar. And Beth is also excited, and okits, so I think that means it's a real workshop? Lifetime savings wise this could be 100x more profitable than cutting my own hair

Novik

• Pencil Stache
Deborah's seminar sounds exceedingly useful, and profitable. It would be a great real thing.

happy

• Walrus Stache
Strewth @deborah, you're full of surprises!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
I have no comment on what has become of this space. Actually Momma and I had a conversation last night about how 'organic' vs pre-planned the workshops should be this year. Really the mix will come down to the ticket lottery and who gets in. If some needlecrafters (is that the right term?) 'win' bunks and someone brings a sewing machine, then this could be a great little workshop. I don't have budget for materials etc. though. I could see a posting on the wall to get together in one of the lounges and do sewing projects though. Seeing the opposite of a bra burning as a feminist workshop intrigues me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news, I crosspost this from the FB group...

As an organizer for #CM_TO2019 I had a rare chance to speak with Mr. Money Mustache recently. I thought I'd share some insights from that conversation, and hopefully this will help frame expectations for this year's camp:

LP - It seems like a lot of "Camp FI" and "Camp Mustache" events are popping up lately.

MMM - Yeah, and I have been so happy to see it! Reading and writing blogs is one thing, but the reason these gatherings have been so popular is that when FIRE people get together, we find we have a lot in common, which leads to really good times. Much, Much more fun than you'd expect with a normal gathering of random new people!

Originally Camp Mustache was just a single event in the rainforest just outside of Seattle, but at only 50 bunks it was selling out within minutes of opening ticket sales each year, which means most people who wanted to go were not able to. On top of that, people were traveling great distances (sometimes even from other countries) to reach it, which seemed like an awful lot of travel time and a heavy carbon footprint.

So now, having events dispersed around the continent allows for more fun, with the potential for less travel if you're lucky enough to live close to the camp location yourself.

LP - Can you offer any advice on speakers and speaking assignments?

MMM - One of the tenets of these events is that they are "Not for prophet" - in other words, we value what everyone has to say. Instead of chasing keynote speakers and treating everyone like customers or followers, we all come as equals, and anyone can give impromptu talks and share ideas with anyone else. The vibe of the event really encourages people to step up and have some fun with this.

LP - Our camp has focused on the MMM forum in the past. We have some really solid attendees. How do we keep them coming back?

MMM - Almost everybody wants to come back, and it is always great to see old friends again. But in the best of situations, we dont want this to happen too much, otherwise it would just be the same group of people every year.

A big part of the magic is in meeting new people. Then, the groups of friends who meet at Camp Mustache tend to branch off and start hanging out in real life - planning their own gatherings and even group retreats of their own. That is the ultimate marker of success in an event like this - if you come out of it with new friends and connections that will potentially last a lifetime.

To keep this magic going, I think CM Seattle reserves about 75% of the tickets for new people, and 25% of the old friends, through some combination of random drawing and bringing back close friends of the organizers.  I sometimes joke that these reserved spots are our "ringers" - people we know are incredibly fun and help everyone else have a great time too.

LP - Are there any particular topics you'd like to see us focus on?

MMM - Not really. The topics usually end up in the general theme of Mustachianism and FI, but they flow with the interests of whoever happens to be in attendance that year.

So we have enjoyed all sorts of sessions like travel hacking, fixing bikes, DIY haircutting, investing, the post-FI lifestyle, fairly wild but lucrative business ideas, meditation, yoga, Wim Hof-style cold water plunges in the creek, and even bedtime story sessions from lightly erotic novels ;-)

So the camp organizer's job is mostly just to facilitate the fun and provide a few anchor events and sessions, to set the tone. Then let the group run with it.

LP - I know you said camp is not for prophet, but we'd really love to have you out this year. How can we incent you to come to Toronto?

MMM -  I am so honoured by the invitation!  I would love to come and it's not too much of a stretch because I grew up in that area and still have close family and friends nearby.

But, it all depends on the events in my job as a Dad at the time, and that job is a month-to-month deal.

So if it looks like I can make it, I will fill in the form and see if you can squeeze in a bunk or a tent space for me. But whether I can make it or not, I know the camp itself will be incredible - they always are, and that's why we are having this conversation a full six years on from the moment the original organziers came up with that first camp idea!

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks to everyone who have reached out via PM with great ideas for workshops and sessions at CM*TO in September -- and volunteered to help facilitate those discussions.  If you are interested in being a presenter at CM*TO, please enter the participants lottery on Feb 1 (0900 Toronto time!) -- if you are successful in registering for a bunk we will be in touch as we finalize our seminar and speakers plan!

Thanks again for your enthusiasm -- CM*TO is going to be awesome!!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Can anyone do a DIY sushi workshop? I hear its super-easy to make, but I've always been intimidated. I wonder if camp would exempt us from the outside food thing for sushi-making.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
I have most of the items still closed (So could be brought to camp) but it could easily be shown without items.

It's not hard. Check any youtube videos and it'll run through how to do it. (We personally went to a restaurant with friends to learn, but we can show people in 2-5min how to make simple rolls, 10-15min how to prepare everything and best methods.

YOUTUBE!!! It's filled with pros explaining everything in detail

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
For anyone considering this but uncertain, I will just add that it is awesome!

+1 to this!

I've attended the last two years, and found it an amazing time both years.

So much so that I'm crossing my fingers I get a ticket this year, and will willingly pay to attend a camp that I have to fly to in another country after having already done so twice. It's that good.

Le Poisson puts on an awesome camp, and the attendees are always top-notch.

Similarly, I just got tickets for Camp Mustache Seattle for the 6th year in a row. These camps are amazing, and potentially life-changing, wherever you are on your FIRE journey. And I've made many multiples back in terms of financial cost from things I've learned at Camp. And I've had other attendees tell me in subsequent years that they saved, or made, thousands from info I shared them, so it's a great way to make money, not just have fun.

If you can get a ticket to this event, I highly recommend it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Thanks for the kind words Spy - you do a great job keeping the forums on an even keel as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just came across the FI charting tool at The Mad Fientist's site - how many campers would be willing ot track their progress monthly between now and camp? Looks like it could be a fun discussion to compare where we are and where we are headed, and see what differences there are between different lifestyles (Hardcore MMM vs. relaxed progress, High income vs Low Income, etc.)

The charting tool is over here: https://t.co/4Vb96Z3mxR even if you aren't willing to discuss at camp, it would be a good thing to use month-to-month.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache

MMM - Not really. The topics usually end up in the general theme of Mustachianism and FI, but they flow with the interests of whoever happens to be in attendance that year.

So we have enjoyed all sorts of sessions like travel hacking, fixing bikes, DIY haircutting, investing, the post-FI lifestyle, fairly wild but lucrative business ideas, meditation, yoga, Wim Hof-style cold water plunges in the creek, and even bedtime story sessions from lightly erotic novels ;-)

So the camp organizer's job is mostly just to facilitate the fun and provide a few anchor events and sessions, to set the tone. Then let the group run with it.

Mr Pug (who is not on the forums) wanted me to mention that he would gladly jump in an ice cold creek with anyone. He went to the Wim Hof workshop in NYC back in November and is all about it. This is of course assuming we get bunks. Really hoping we get in!

Reggie

• Stubble
Really looking forward to CMC 2019! The last 2 years have been amazing. 

Question:  There's reference somewhere that "quick fingers get tickets" so does the sale of tickets start at 9AM on Feb 1st on a first come first serve basis  or we just all apply for a lottery which happens some time after?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Really looking forward to CMC 2019! The last 2 years have been amazing. 

Question:  There's reference somewhere that "quick fingers get tickets" so does the sale of tickets start at 9AM on Feb 1st on a first come first serve basis  or we just all apply for a lottery which happens some time after?

Quick fingers are key. I think the lottery has been set up to acccept about 100 names, of which about 60 will get bunks. Drawing from Twitter, FB, here, and the forum, we felt like it was the only way to keep things fair.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Where is the lottery information?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Do you have to enter the ticket lottery one ticket at a time? If my wife won a ticket and I didn't, that would be great for you guys but sad for me :'(

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
Do you have to enter the ticket lottery one ticket at a time? If my wife won a ticket and I didn't, that would be great for you guys but sad for me :'(

I hope so, or you'll simply ask for all 60 tickets I assume.

Novik

• Pencil Stache

I hope so, or you'll simply ask for all 60 tickets I assume.

60 tickets would be a bit much, but it would seem reasonable to allow couples to have "one chance at two tickets" rather than "two chances at one ticket" (although I understand maybe not feasible, desirable or effort-effective on the part of the organizers). Might also reduce post-lottery ticket trading.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
Grant has a posse. He can fill all the seats.

It wasn't an actual comment on how the lottery works, but how Grant's circle can TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
Oh I really hope I can put in for two tickets. If I were to get a bunk and Mr Pug didn't or vice versa then we wouldn't really be able to go and I guess I'd have to sell my ticket?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I'm sure they'll account for this, it's a pretty solved problem in these sorts of things. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CampMustacheToronto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi folks!

1) The link to the lottery will be posted on the forum a few days prior to Feb 1.  Additionally, when it goes live it'll be tweeted & facebooked, and anyone who has received an email from the mailing list will receive an email.  Not on the email list?  Sign up here: http://eepurl.com/gcG8LX

2) Yes you can add a plus one. But please, don't be a jerk about it.  If you add a plus one, please make sure both people are planning on attending.  Last year we had Person A enter the lottery with person B, and person B enter with person A, then when bunks were announced, only one of the two was actually able to attend.  This makes extra work for the volunteer organizers.