Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO [s]2020[/s] 2022  (Read 53490 times)

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO 2020
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2020, 07:40:07 AM »
It's cool here. I think we'd all be enjoying coffee around a fire someplace.

Except for @Jon_Snow  He'd be out running a marathon or something crazy like that.
That sounds so lovely. Except for the marathon thingy. I miss you all this year. Hope to be back with you again soon.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2020, 08:04:39 AM »

Except for @Jon_Snow  He'd be out running a marathon or something crazy like that.

No!  He'd be biking around the campground!  You converted him, remember?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2020, 08:39:03 AM »

No!  He'd be biking around the campground!  You converted him, remember?

That was the weekend I got him in a canoe and on a bike... It was like a biathlon, but I didn't have to break a sweat.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2020, 09:08:50 AM »
I should be burning the candle on both ends with late nights followed by early morning workouts...

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2020, 12:58:33 PM »
It has been pouring rain all day in South Florida. Seems fitting to match my sad mood for not being at CM*TO 2020. I sure would rather be sitting around and chatting it up with cool people on a cool fall day in Ontario just about now...

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2020, 01:03:42 PM »
I should be burning the candle on both ends with late nights followed by early morning workouts...

Yeah.  How are you and DH going to party-animal-it-up instead?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2020, 01:38:34 PM »
Missing my roomie!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2020, 01:54:13 PM »
Missing my roomie!

You might be missing me more if you learned I was on a new snoring reduction therapy!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2020, 01:55:28 PM »
Missing my roomie!

I think we all need a Deborah update. What does Deborah do when a world-wide travel ban messes up all of her plans?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2020, 02:57:22 PM »
Missing my roomie!

I think we all need a Deborah update. What does Deborah do when a world-wide travel ban messes up all of her plans?
You obviously haven’t been following my journal. I’ve been on xanthorrhoea watch. Seventeen years ago I planted three baby xanthorrhoeas. They don’t like being transplanted and usually die. Two survived, and gradually grew. Xanthorrhoeas are also called grass trees. They start with one leaf. After they’re a couple of years old they get three leaves (this is when I got mine). After twenty years they may have enough leaves that they form a hemisphere, and begin to grow a trunk (the trunk is actually leaves), at the rate of a centimetre or two a year (less than an inch). Mine are just at the stage that the trunk may be beginning to form.

We had fires this year. For four months I was stuck indoors because of all the smoke, and for a number of days during that time the air pollution station a few streets away recorded the worst pollution on earth. For a few weeks I could see the fires from my house. We are usually one of the cleanest places on earth.

Xanthorrhoeas flower when there is fire, and rarely otherwise. In fact, they rarely flower. Every Xanthorrhoea in my part of Australia is flowering now. Every national park I’ve been to lately has masses of flowering xanthorrhoea. It is absolutely the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. Especially when the park has been badly burnt in the fires, like most of the parks around here were.

Even one of my xanthorrhoea is flowering. I’m taking pictures of it every day and putting them on my journal. The flower spike is now 1.22 metres above the plant, and the flowers still haven’t opened, after 29 days. So, although the flower spike is growing really fast, the flowers are taking their time, just like the plant itself does.

Apart from that, @happy and I have been having a wonderful time regularly camping in national parks together for a couple of days at a time. We’re gradually visiting parks we’ve never seen. Although the borders are closed between states here, there are over 300 National Parks in the state/area so we’ve got plenty of options.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2020, 03:07:05 PM »
It's cold and rainy here and cold and cloudy there, we would be huddling around the campfire in rain gear.  Or in the main dining room playing board games.

This time next year.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2020, 03:11:37 PM »
Missing my roomie!

You obviously haven’t been following my journal. I’ve been on xanthorrhoea watch. Seventeen years ago I planted three baby xanthorrhoeas. They don’t like being transplanted and usually die. Two survived, and gradually grew. Xanthorrhoeas are also called grass trees. They start with one leaf. After they’re a couple of years old they get three leaves (this is when I got mine). After twenty years they may have enough leaves that they form a hemisphere, and begin to grow a trunk (the trunk is actually leaves), at the rate of a centimetre or two a year (less than an inch). Mine are just at the stage that the trunk may be beginning to form.

We had fires this year. For four months I was stuck indoors because of all the smoke, and for a number of days during that time the air pollution station a few streets away recorded the worst pollution on earth. For a few weeks I could see the fires from my house. We are usually one of the cleanest places on earth.

Xanthorrhoeas flower when there is fire, and rarely otherwise. In fact, they rarely flower. Every Xanthorrhoea in my part of Australia is flowering now. Every national park I’ve been to lately has masses of flowering xanthorrhoea. It is absolutely the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. Especially when the park has been badly burnt in the fires, like most of the parks around here were.

Even one of my xanthorrhoea is flowering. I’m taking pictures of it every day and putting them on my journal. The flower spike is now 1.22 metres above the plant, and the flowers still haven’t opened, after 29 days. So, although the flower spike is growing really fast, the flowers are taking their time, just like the plant itself does.

Apart from that, @happy and I have been having a wonderful time regularly camping in national parks together for a couple of days at a time. We’re gradually visiting parks we’ve never seen. Although the borders are closed between states here, there are over 300 National Parks in the state/area so we’ve got plenty of options.

Yes you just outed me as a non-journal reader.

I'm glad to hear your xanthorrhoea is doing OK. I must admit, my first thought when I read the name of this flower kind of reminded me of a not-so-nice disease, so I am glad I read a little further and realized I should not be worried about your health. ;-)

Yes, this is a good time to get to know your own area better...be a tourist in your own country/state! I have also been doing the same paddling much more of my local waters now that the travelling away option is on hold.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2020, 08:34:41 PM »
It's cold and rainy here and cold and cloudy there, we would be huddling around the campfire in rain gear.  Or in the main dining room playing board games.

This time next year.
Yep - pretty cold and rainy all day. Tomorrow I go canoeing in honor of CM*TO. I'll skip the falling into the lake part though.

@deborah now I got to go get updated on your journal to see that flower (I won't try to spell it though!)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2020, 01:08:06 AM »

This time next year.
Yep - pretty cold and rainy all day. Tomorrow I go canoeing in honor of CM*TO. I'll skip the falling into the lake part though.

@deborah now I got to go get updated on your journal to see that flower (I won't try to spell it though!)

The secret to spelling xanthorrhoea is copy and paste.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2020, 08:37:37 PM »

The secret to spelling xanthorrhoea is copy and paste.

Cut and paste is a blessing.   ;-)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2020, 09:33:08 AM »
VOLLEYHOCKEYBALL!!!!!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2020, 07:24:19 PM »
Now you are really pulling on my heartstrings!
VOLLEYHOCKEYBALL!!!!!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2020, 11:03:37 PM »
VOLLEYHOCKEYBALL!!!!!

There is no such thing as Volleyhockeyball.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2020, 12:32:47 AM »
VOLLEYHOCKEYBALL!!!!!

There is no such thing as Volleyhockeyball.
It's what you play in CM*TO*AUS. After all, we're down under. With REAL hockey sticks.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2021, 08:54:38 AM »
Obviously it's still too early to decide anything today but it's encouraging for my fall weekend plans that COVID numbers seem to be heading in the right direction...

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2021, 09:17:12 AM »
Obviously it's still too early to decide anything today but it's encouraging for my fall weekend plans that COVID numbers seem to be heading in the right direction...

I can't believe that your country has already ordered every single dose needed to vaccinate every single person.

What a change one person can make.

If the States is one of the fastest to vaccinate everyone and return to normal, I'm gonna be so insulted.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2021, 09:27:11 AM »

I can't believe that your country has already ordered every single dose needed to vaccinate every single person.

What a change one person can make.

If the States is one of the fastest to vaccinate everyone and return to normal, I'm gonna be so insulted.

One person makes such a difference.  Can we have an Ontario election tomorrow and get rid of Doug Ford?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2021, 10:08:45 AM »
I have it on good authority that there's an unemployed broke former politician with experience leading a major nation during a covid crisis, and he's open to international assignments beyond the reach of his creditors, if you want me to send you his resume!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2021, 10:13:30 AM »
I have it on good authority that there's an unemployed broke former politician with experience leading a major nation during a covid crisis, and he's open to international assignments beyond the reach of his creditors, if you want me to send you his resume!

No, thanks anyway.    ;-)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2021, 10:16:18 AM »
I mean, we can all hope, but I'm beyond hoping too hard with anything related to leaving the house right now.

But thanks for reminding me that I need to reach back to the camp about our spring dates. Given current COVID numbers, I'm pretty sure we don't need to pull out the suitcases.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2021, 10:24:47 AM »
I mean, we can all hope, but I'm beyond hoping too hard with anything related to leaving the house right now.

But thanks for reminding me that I need to reach back to the camp about our spring dates. Given current COVID numbers, I'm pretty sure we don't need to pull out the suitcases.

I think we can forget a spring camp.  But a fall one looks possible, maybe?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2021, 12:04:18 PM »
POST #1 has been updated.

The camp will not be open for this spring. A fall camp is a possibility with many restrictions, depending on how the COVID-19 situation evolves over the summer.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2021, 05:01:23 PM »
Glum news, but not unexpected.  ☹️

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2021, 03:54:12 PM »
Even if open in the fall, I most likely will defer to 2022.

I hope you are all doing well!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2021, 10:51:28 AM »
If there is one in the fall, and limited to vaccinated folks only, I'm in.

Miss you guys.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2021, 11:31:43 AM »
I'm fully vaccinated. Just sayin'. :D

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2021, 12:14:42 PM »
I am not sure what the rules are for vaccinated Yanks crossing into Canada right now.

I do know that for Canadians coming into Canada by air, there is a requirement for a negative COVID test, plus a 2-week quarantine at a state mandated hotel which comes with a $350 per night bill. There are many news stories about people being unprepared for the cost of the hotel stay. I can't say what we are doing about people returning home by land, or what happens when a non-resident arrives by land.

We are on hold with everything right now.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2021, 05:30:33 PM »
Yeah, border is closed to us right now. In five months though once the vaccine is widely distributed up there I'd expect things to be different.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2021, 06:30:55 PM »
Yeah, border is closed to us right now. In five months though once the vaccine is widely distributed up there I'd expect things to be different.

They may very well be.  It seems a long way away but once we have mass vaccination more things will open up as people decide to live with "acceptable risk" and our healthcare system can deal with the reduced number of people who do get seriously ill.

With the amount of uncertainty involved I wouldn't advise much planning beyond "maybe we'll all meet at this hotel on this weekend".  Cancellable reservations, cancellable transportation arrangements.  (Everyone has saved their travel hacked points and/or made out like a bandit with equities and real estate?  I expect probably yes.)  People can lead informal break out sessions or give talks if they want.  I suspect many of us have learned some valuable things over the course of the pandemic and there will be no shortage of experienced FI folks to chat with anyone just starting their journey.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2021, 06:37:52 PM »
Our vaccinations are going very slowly - partly due to other countries stopping our vaccines coming here. We were supposed to have 4million vaccinated by now but 600,000 are done. Who knows how long it’s going to take. I suspect Canada is in a similar situation.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »
Our vaccinations are going very slowly - partly due to other countries stopping our vaccines coming here. We were supposed to have 4million vaccinated by now but 600,000 are done. Who knows how long it’s going to take. I suspect Canada is in a similar situation.

We actually have a lot of vaccines coming in right now.  The big question is if the provinces have the capacity to handle them.  And of course it could be interrupted at any time.

For Americans coming over the border, the big question will not be how the vaccines are doing in Canada, other than if facilities are opening up.  It will be how the vaccinations went in the US/other countries, and if the US/other country numbers are low enough to open up the border on a selective basis.   Unfortunately when I look in my crystal ball all I see is snow.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2021, 10:08:23 PM »
I'm optimistic.

They keep moving vaccine eligibility dates forward here. We're about to the point of anyone who wants one can get one.

And once the US is saturated (say, early to mid summer?) that opens a lot more vaccine availability to other countries (the manufacturers won't just slow down production cause US isn't ordering as much).

It's been rough, but I see reasons for positivity. :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2021, 03:41:06 PM »
All I can say for damn sure is that I miss my Canadian peeps.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2021, 02:35:34 PM »
How are you fine northerners doing with your vaccines? Is there any world where CM*TO '22 happens? I miss youse guys

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2021, 06:19:45 PM »
I got mine while in the states.  Thank you America.  I'd be up for a fall meetup!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2021, 07:52:08 PM »
How are you fine northerners doing with your vaccines? Is there any world where CM*TO '22 happens? I miss youse guys

Could it happen, and will it happen.

It could happen. We do have another hold on the camp. As we did for fall of last year and spring of this year. The camp has cancelled all summer programming. The fall season is supposed to be going forward. The hold is very tentative based on COVID case counts, vaccinations, etc.

I am loathe to make any sort of a big for sure announcement until I have more confidence in the whole situation. For the time being we are very much in suspended animation... as we have grown accustomed to.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2021, 09:18:07 PM »
I'd be up for a fall meetup!

🤔 What would be a good locale convenient-ish to interested people?

Currently the border is still closed but that may change in the coming months.

CM*TO 2022 would be more than a year away so... 🔮🤷🏻‍♀️.  But I hope so. 🤞

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2021, 11:54:31 PM »
What would be a good locale convenient-ish to interested people?

Vancouver BC or Calgary, AB for me.  But Toronto, ON would also work.

(Is that how the cool kid Canadians write their cities?  Probably not.  Meh.)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2021, 07:21:14 AM »
What would be a good locale convenient-ish to interested people?

Vancouver BC or Calgary, AB for me.  But Toronto, ON would also work.

(Is that how the cool kid Canadians write their cities?  Probably not.  Meh.)

For the big cities, we know which is in which province.

So Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto,  Montreal, Halifax are all gimmees re province.  We conserve our energy for important things like hockeyvolleybasketball, why type extra letters?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2021, 01:22:22 PM »
The furthest north I am going this year is North Dakota and Minnesota...in August.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2021, 02:35:28 PM »
The furthest north I am going this year is North Dakota and Minnesota...in August.

Well, that doesn't rule out Camp, which is considerably south of North Dakota.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2021, 02:57:09 PM »

Well, that doesn't rule out Camp, which is considerably south of North Dakota.

I forgot how intelligent FIRE people are. Some more intelligent than me apparently.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2021, 03:26:42 PM »
The furthest north I’m going this year is 12.15 degrees south.

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2021, 06:39:37 PM »
Missing all you CM*TO folks!  Here's hoping for 2022.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2021, 07:15:20 PM »
Missing all you CM*TO folks!  Here's hoping for 2022.

We do have a (very) tentative Fall 2021 date from the camp. I am not releasing it though until Ontario can assure us of a meaningful reopening framework, AND the camp has put in place policy around international visitors, sanitizing, and so forth.

Ontario is nearing 80% with a first vaccination, and 20% with a full vaccination. This gives me some confidence. I would be afraid to sell folks tickets and then have them have to go through a similar quarantine to what @UnleashHell did in England... it just wouldn't make sense to spend 10 days in quarantine for a three day camp.

Depending on what the reopening framework looks like, we may end up having:
- no camp; or
- an "Ontario-only" camp; or
- a vaccinated only camp; or
- an all-welcome camp.

At this point... no one knows. We continue to be in a holding pattern, but as soon as assurances come to us, Momma and I will kick into high gear to put on the best camp we can in the circumstances we're given - even if that camp is just a show up and hang out style of weekend.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!