Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO [s]2020[/s] 2022  (Read 53493 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO [s]2020[/s] 2022
« on: November 04, 2019, 07:59:10 AM »
COVID-19 Update #3 - February 10, 2020

I have once again spoken with the facility folks, and it appears that the facility will remain closed through the spring of 2021. We should not anticipate a spring event. In the fall, there may still be opportunity for a CMTO-2021 event, however, there are likely to be restrictions on the camp that will make it onerous to organize an event. For the time being we remain in a holding pattern, and will update this space and the email list as soon as new news is available.

As far as a Fall 2021 camp goes, if the facility is even available (which at this point depends on how the handling of the virus looks over the next few months) limits on sleeping quarters, eating arrangements, seating for sessions and recreational activities would greatly reduce our attendee spaces. We would also be very limited in what programming would be available, and the look and feel of camp could be very different.

We will continue to update this space as there is news to share.

Sincerely, Le Fish.

COVID-19 UPDATE#2 - July 16, 2020

Hello everyone. I just got off the phone with the grand poo-bah of the facility we rent for CM*TO. He tells me that the ongoing COVID situation has forced the closure of the facility right through the fall. This is sad since our camp happens in the fall. I thought about asking if we could pitch tents in the ditch outside the gates, but decided not to.

What is good though is that CM*TO 2020 is now CM*TO 2020-1/2. That's right, we have claimed naming rights to a weekend next spring so the show can go on. We are still working on what that weekend will be, and which round of the draft we get our pick in, but as of now, the plan is to snag something in Q2 2021 for camp (sometime from March to May). For now though, we aren't planning on a fall camp this year.

Another question on our minds is that if we bump our 2020 camp to 2020-1/2, will there still be an appetite for a fall camp in 2021? We're working on that. We're trying to figure out what to do. I'd appreciate hearing what you think.

COVID-19 UPDATE - MARCH 31, 2020

So folks, I've told you a few times how important it is to me to "Never let your lips make a promise your ass can't keep..." and lately I've been keeping quiet while weighing out the impacts of COVID-19 on CM*TO 2020. The impact right now is... keep on waiting to find out the the impact.

By now we were hoping to have sold tickets, completed a skeleton of an agenda, and have some guidance for you on what the best weekend of your live would look like, but there isn't any of that. And camp still in a holding pattern.

We haven't cancelled camp either though. And I know that forecasting what the world will look like in October is super difficult right now. So for the time being please know that as soon as we can get solid information on how safe it is for you to come to camp, whether our borders are re-opened, and if gatherings of more than 5 people are allowed in the province, we'll pass along an invite and sell tickets and make camp happen... or not.

If the answer is "not" - well, maybe we'll try to put together some sort of a virtual CM*TO or just let the whole thing slide. But for now, we're in the same holding pattern you are. For now, let's all stay healthy, stay alone, and support each other to stay strong through this.

All the best,

The CM*TO Team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can you believe that people are already asking about dates for camp in 2020. Like multiple people have asked me about dates. MULTIPLE! And it's a whole year away!

For those planning way in advance, here is some stuff you should know...

CM Toronto (Fall 2020):
1. CM Toronto Session Proposals accepted (proposals for keynote and breakout sessions): March 2020
2. CM Toronto 2020 Lottery Opens (First 150 ppl get into the Lottery): Late April 2020
3. CM Toronto Bunks awarded (75 bunks to be awarded from lottery entrants): Early May 2020
4. CM Toronto: October 2-4, 2020

Note that we have bumped the CM Toronto lottery to spring 2020. In the past we have held the lottery closer to Christmas, but this year we are planning to tighten up the schedule. This is to minimize change, and hopefully to allow folks with variable schedules to have a better handle on things like field postings, project schedules etc. (some folks can't know in January what work will look like in the fall.)

This year in early spring (March) CM*TO will be accepting proposals to form panels, lead breakout sessions, and to be keynote speakers as usual. If your proposal is a winner, you are pretty much guaranteed a spot at camp. It's worth it to be a contributor. However, you should beware that feedback from camp has us thinking about ways to have fewer "set" sessions and more impromptu/organic sessions. We have a balance to maintain here, and will likely follow the CM Seattle pattern of one "track" of FI (financial) topics and another track of RE (lifestyle) topics. When you think about your proposals give yourself a winning chance by including which track it fits in, and who your target audience is. Sessions will be chosen in a Late March Org Committee meeting.

In the spring (April) we will accept 150 names for our lottery. Those names will be entered into a random number generator in Excel, and the first 65 (or so - it's actually 75 minus Org committee and presenters) will be given 3 days to accept their bunk. After 3 days, the remaining bunks will be offered to the remaining people on the lottery list 10 at a time until we sell out. This is the same process we used this year and it worked well. One difference is that we have found an app that allows us to build and manage a ticketing website on Wordpress, so we will try to do that to sell the tickets. This means we will mostly be taking payment through Paypal. It is a far simpler and more streamlined process... As long as we can get the website up and running - something we never tackled last year.

We are considering adding an Org Com Role of Social Media and web admin. If you are local-ish to the Golden Horseshoe area and have the technical and social media abilities to do this, let me know.

Winners of CM*TO 2020 bunks should all know by or Before Victoria Day weekend (Mid-May) if our lottery and bunk sales go as planned. Your payment will be your acceptance of the bunk.

If you haven't already joined the Mailchimp email list, it is your best way to stay on top of the calendar as it proceeds. We will reach out to everyone as dates come up for camp, the lottery, and for presenters. In case you aren't on the list, but you are interested in being part of the 2020 camp, here is the link one more time.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 11:52:55 AM by Le Poisson »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 08:01:59 AM »
This is the annoying post where I just tag all the people who I think have asked me for the 2020 dates, or who can confirm that I made no mistakes above...

@NinetyFour
@thecampguy
@grantmeaname
@Daisy
@elaine amj
@okits
@SnakesintheGrass
@Mrs.Prospector
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:08:59 AM by Le Poisson »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 08:24:10 AM »
CM Toronto: October 2-4, 2020

Oh!  That's much later than I had thought it would be, so I'm glad I asked! 

Now I'm wondering if I should adjust the dates for the Moab meetup...there could be a few crazy people who want to do both meetups...

Thanks for all the info, Poisson!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 10:14:00 AM »

Now I'm wondering if I should adjust the dates for the Moab meetup...there could be a few crazy people who want to do both meetups...

I do my best.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 11:13:45 AM »
PTF

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 01:47:31 PM »
Me too

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 03:44:08 PM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Talk proposal: Advertising is dumb and bad and dumb

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »
I must follow this thread, since I have been tagged. I'm trying to be as polite as a Canadian. My friends think I must be searching for Canadian citizenship since I travel there every year.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 06:49:07 PM »
Camp dates are problematic in my current job. Good to know sooner...get the disappointment over sooner.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 07:09:54 PM »
Camp dates are problematic in my current job. Good to know sooner...get the disappointment over sooner.

!! ☹️

I guess my usual "just tell your friends to get married at CM*TO, the venue hosts weddings" advice doesn't apply here?  😞👎

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 07:13:41 PM »
Sadly, no. However, if I manage to rearrange my life, I'll incorporate these dates into that plan. It's an outside chance, since I've not historically been willing to do much about the job.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 07:20:59 PM »
Sadly, no. However, if I manage to rearrange my life, I'll incorporate these dates into that plan. It's an outside chance, since I've not historically been willing to do much about the job.

Ack!!  I need your encouragement on the high ropes course!!!!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 10:40:18 AM »
Following!

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 12:39:33 PM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Talk proposal: Advertising is dumb and bad and dumb

What are ads? You still see those? ;)

Whooo! AFAIK I don't have any weddings next year on those dates!

!! ☹️

I guess my usual "just tell your friends to get married at CM*TO, the venue hosts weddings" advice doesn't apply here?  😞👎

How many people have you invited to get married at CM*TO now?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 12:41:55 PM by runningthroughFIRE »

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 12:51:42 PM »
Following. Thanks for the early heads up about the slightly later dates!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 01:40:59 PM »

!! ☹️

No, this is the one where you tell them that the camp has WiFi and they can "work from home" or "Be on call" that day.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 01:36:03 PM »
following (just to raise hackles)

Hi guys!  We got the email last week and we are so excited about the idea of coming back to Toronto!  Last time we got FIRE'd because of CMTO...wondering what this year could bring...

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »

Hi guys!  We got the email last week and we are so excited about the idea of coming back to Toronto!  Last time we got FIRE'd because of CMTO...wondering what this year could bring...

So lovely to hear from you, @CheapskateWife !  ❤️ It would be great to see you and CSHubs at camp next year, this time FIREd!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »

You didn’t go to CMTO 2.0 because of your doggo. So is that still an issue?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 06:26:54 PM »

Well, look who's back!  I was just wondering about you.  Read a comment about people who disappear after they FIRE and you were the first to come to mind.  I hope you are enjoying the retired life.

Pre-ETA:  Oh, I see you have a new journal.  I'll go take myself over there now.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 09:52:11 PM »
Hi guys!

Even though I haven't been around much since the first CMTO, I did see an email in my (generally neglected) personal email.

And boy, the idea of another camp sure does appeal, though it's hard for me to get the weekends away ... hmm, if someone *did* want to get married at CMTO 2020, then I could make the excuse that it's work related after all, couldn't I?

Anyway, have missed you all, sorry I haven't been around. No promises, but it's nice to "see" you!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 02:47:23 AM »
Hi guys!

Even though I haven't been around much since the first CMTO, I did see an email in my (generally neglected) personal email.

And boy, the idea of another camp sure does appeal, though it's hard for me to get the weekends away ... hmm, if someone *did* want to get married at CMTO 2020, then I could make the excuse that it's work related after all, couldn't I?

Anyway, have missed you all, sorry I haven't been around. No promises, but it's nice to "see" you!

🎼 It’s a nice day for a cheap wedding 🎼

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 07:53:09 AM »

You didn’t go to CMTO 2.0 because of your doggo. So is that still an issue?
We are going to travel like we did the first year, have the doggos stay with my parents.  We didn't do it that way last year because we were already going to be up north in our RV with the doggos.  CSKid wants to come too, so that should be fun!

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 07:54:04 AM »
Hi guys!

Hi PJ!  Welcome back to the fold!

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 07:57:37 AM »

Well, look who's back!  I was just wondering about you.  Read a comment about people who disappear after they FIRE and you were the first to come to mind.  I hope you are enjoying the retired life.

Pre-ETA:  Oh, I see you have a new journal.  I'll go take myself over there now.
Yeah, yeah, we are the worst.  It was alot to process, this retiring thing.  Honestly, if we were going to crash and burn, I didn't want to broadcast it...stupid pride and all that.  Now that we have over a year in... best decision we ever made, aside from picking eachother of course.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 08:08:46 AM »
Posting to follow. One of these days I'd love to go to a Camp Mustache, but I'm not sure if I can convince my partner that it would be a fun time. He doesn't see the appeal of meeting up with internet friends/strangers. Now if I can sell it as a possible wedding venue...

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 08:26:13 AM »
Posting to follow. One of these days I'd love to go to a Camp Mustache, but I'm not sure if I can convince my partner that it would be a fun time. He doesn't see the appeal of meeting up with internet friends/strangers. Now if I can sell it as a possible wedding venue...

The plan is really started to come together <rubs hands gleefully>

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 11:31:00 AM »

I LOVE WEDDINGS!  😃❤️🎂

thecampguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 12:12:57 PM »

I LOVE WEDDINGS!  😃❤️🎂

I love CMTO more! The people tend to be way less Bride/Groomzilla like

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 12:56:21 PM »
This is genius!  Get married and then play volleyhockeyball at the reception.  And no-one at the wedding would be family per se so no one making unreasonable demands on "your special day"

And I bet you at least one of these online weirdos can perform a legal wedding ceremony.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 09:13:34 PM »
This is genius!  Get married and then play volleyhockeyball at the reception.  And no-one at the wedding would be family per se so no one making unreasonable demands on "your special day"

And I bet you at least one of these online weirdos can perform a legal wedding ceremony.

Umm, yup! I sure can. Official, authorized wedding provider. Anglican liturgy. Marriage license and some marriage prep sessions required. I do make people talk about their financial future as part of that, by the way!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 10:52:29 PM »

!! ☹️

No, this is the one where you tell them that the camp has WiFi and they can "work from home" or "Be on call" that day.

:'(

No WFH allowed during the first 7 business days of the month.  I would need to get a different job, probably in a different field (not accounting), in order to make those dates.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2019, 11:41:53 PM »

!! ☹️

No WFH allowed during the first 7 business days of the month.  I would need to get a different job, probably in a different field (not accounting), in order to make those dates.
This is not approved!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 04:43:58 PM »

!! ☹️

This is not approved!

I'll let you negotiate with my boss :D

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2019, 09:02:39 PM »
I’m down to meet in Toronto!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2019, 09:20:04 PM »

Umm, yup! I sure can. Official, authorized wedding provider. Anglican liturgy. Marriage license and some marriage prep sessions required. I do make people talk about their financial future as part of that, by the way!

I can too. Just bring your own strainer, and/or pirate costumes, and we'll mail the certificates to New Zealand.

May your love be touched by His Noodly Appendages .

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2019, 08:41:55 PM »

!! ☹️

This is not approved!

I'll let you negotiate with my boss :D

Negotiations with The Boss have begun :)

thecampguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2019, 09:31:11 AM »
Good luck!

I tried to get out of attending a wedding to go to CM*TO 2018 but it didnit fly with my boss (The SO).

I'm pullin' for ya!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 11:11:47 AM »
Big news!! CM Seattle posted about CMTO on their Facebook page after their camp sold out (in 30 seconds or so). As a direct result, our email list has grown to over 400 names, and our FB page picked up a load of new followers. We may have more competition for tickets this year... and a deeper pool of speakers.

I really encourage you to also join the email list to keep abreast of all things CM*TO and to be among the first to hear about tickets.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 06:37:32 PM »
Big news!! CM Seattle posted about CMTO on their Facebook page after their camp sold out (in 30 seconds or so). As a direct result, our email list has grown to over 400 names, and our FB page picked up a load of new followers. We may have more competition for tickets this year... and a deeper pool of speakers.

I really encourage you to also join the email list to keep abreast of all things CM*TO and to be among the first to hear about tickets.

If we attended camp last year, are we already on the mailing list?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2020, 07:20:46 PM »

Sure are!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2020, 08:14:13 PM »

Sure are!

Woo!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2020, 02:55:16 AM »
Is there any mail coming out?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2020, 05:17:11 AM »
Is there any mail coming out?

Nope.

Nothing to report yet. The lottery is planned for May, and until then we are watching Corona nervously and seeing what our Gov't (and the US gov't) does about travel. We should have an update sometime in April to get everyone ready for a May lottery.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2020, 08:39:21 AM »

Hey bud, what are the dates for Moab this year? I can't see that thread in the Camp Mustache folder. Maybe just link me to the thread??

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2020, 09:59:27 AM »
I've posted this to the CM*TO facebook group, and need to share here as well. Basically, we are watching things unfold with COVID-19 and will make a call on what is happening with camp once we know enough to say go or no-go. A lot could happen between now and October.

So folks, I've told you a few times how important it is to me to "Never let your lips make a promise your ass can't keep..." and lately I've been keeping quiet while weighing out the impacts of COVID-19 on CM*TO 2020. The impact right now is... keep on waiting to find out the the impact.

By now we were hoping to have sold tickets, completed a skeleton of an agenda, and have some guidance for you on what the best weekend of your live would look like, but there isn't any of that. And camp still in a holding pattern.

We haven't cancelled camp either though. And I know that forecasting what the world will look like in October is super difficult right now. So for the time being please know that as soon as we can get solid information on how safe it is for you to come to camp, whether our borders are re-opened, and if gatherings of more than 5 people are allowed in the province, we'll pass along an invite and sell tickets and make camp happen... or not.

If the answer is "not" - well, maybe we'll try to put together some sort of a virtual CM*TO or just let the whole thing slide. But for now, we're in the same holding pattern you are. For now, let's all stay healthy, stay alone, and support each other to stay strong through this.

All the best,

The CM*TO Team

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2020, 10:13:13 AM »
We know you're all doing the best you can CM*TO team.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »
Thanks team CMTO! Keep safe!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2020, 01:41:26 PM »
Best decision possible at this point. Who knows what the world will look like come October. Stay safe CM*TO buddies!

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2020, 01:45:15 PM »
Good to hear you are keeping your plans flexible. I've already had other FI events that I was travelling to cancelled. There's no point in making any short term or mid term plans.

Stay safe, my fellow North Americans. Oh, and those Down Under too.