Author Topic: Camp Mustache Midwest CM*MW - Cincinnati, OH 4/22-4/24/2022  (Read 10475 times)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Camp Mustache Midwest CM*MW - Cincinnati, OH 4/22-4/24/2022
« on: August 11, 2021, 04:07:38 PM »
What is Camp Mustache Midwest?
Camp Mustache Midwest (or CM*MW) is three days of fun, friends, and finances, held outside Cincinnati, OH, from April 22nd-24th, 2022! Two nights’ accommodations and all meals, presentations, and activities are included in the $150 registration fee!

Camp Mustache events are community-run, not-for-profit, not-for-prophet, inclusive, and nature-conscious. Our attendees come from across the globe and from every corner of the FIRE internet. All attendees including the organizing committee and all speakers pay the same price and participate as equals in the discussion.

What will we do all day? Will Mr. Money Mustache speak at CM*MW?
There will be both financial and non-financial sessions for all experience levels. All presentations and sessions are led by community members - including you, dear reader! The CM*MW organizing committee is currently planning the sessions. We would love to have you on the agenda! Please reach out if you would like to lead a session or have a request for a topic.

The purpose of Camp Mustache events is to interact with the Mustachian community, not just Mr. Money Mustache. Mr. Money Mustache is busy doing squats, carpentering, and living a brilliant retired life thousands of miles away.

Why come to CM*MW?
Don’t know a Roth from a wrench? Come to CM*MW and learn how to put the building blocks of FIRE in place in your life from other people who are doing it today.
Are your friends really tired of hearing you rant about Rule 72(t)? Come to camp and make new friends who understand the FIRE way of life.
Have you put in many steps on the FIRE path? Come to camp and share your knowledge with your fellow FIRE folk, and deepen your connection to the FI community.

How is CM*MW dealing with COVID? What happens if the pandemic worsens?
We request that all attendees are fully vaccinated before attending camp, but will not verify vaccination status. If you are not vaccinated we request that you look after the health of your fellow attendees by exercising extreme diligence in wearing a mask, washing your hands, and physically distancing yourself whenever possible.

If we are unable to hold Camp Mustache, at your choice you may either 1) push your registration to the following year or 2) receive a partial refund of the fee you pay, offset by your share of the costs already incurred for the event.

If we are able to hold Camp Mustache, we will be unable to offer refunds for any reason. If you are unable or unwilling to come to camp whether due to inability to enter the US, because you are sick, or because you do not feel comfortable, we would suggest you attempt to resell your ticket to a prospective attendee on our waitlist.

Where is CM*MW held?
Camp Mustache Midwest is held in a rustic outdoor camp setting. For security reasons, the venue name and address will be released only to ticket holders.

Camp Mustache Midwest is physically located in southwest Ohio, outside Cincinnati. You can drive there with your car, or if you’re flying in from further away the camp is 50 minutes from DAY, 60 minutes from CVG, and 105 minutes from CMH. Please carpool if you are able! For confirmed attendees, the CM*MW subforum has threads to organize carpools from nearby cities and airports.

What will staying at CM*MW be like?
Our venue provides cabins and common buildings surrounded by sports fields, a scenic river, woods, and hiking trails. Our camp will feed and house us, and will also provide us with opportunities for badass fitness and naturey enrichment like looking at plants, high ropes, and canoeing (weather permitting). As part of registration you will be asked for any dietary needs that our venue will need to accommodate.

We will be taking over a set of four climate controlled bunkhouses. Each bunkhouse has a common room and two bunkrooms with a dozen beds each in them. There will be 10 people per bunkroom, and we will have both mixed-gender and single-gender bunkrooms. As part of registration you can indicate friends (of any gender) you would like to room with. If you do not express a preference, you will be assigned to a single-gender bunkroom.

Can I bring my family?
We encourage you to bring your partner if you are both interested in learning more about the FIRE world. Just make sure to select the correct number of tickets when you pre-register (see below). Because there is no child-specific programming planned and we will be staying in large communal bunkrooms, CM*MW is not recommended for children or teens.

How does registration work?
We are targeting 75 attendees for CM*MW 2021. The pre-registration list opens on Friday 8/20 at noon EST. It will stay open until Aug 30th or until it reaches 150 people. When you pre-register, you will indicate food and room preferences as well as whether you would like to lead a session.

We will contact 75 provisional attendees on August 31st. These provisional attendees have until September 5th to pay the $150 per person registration fee to claim their spots at camp. We would prefer payment in USD but can likely make other currencies work. Provisional attendees who do not pay by September 5th will have their spots offered to someone else.

If you are not selected off the pre-registration list, or would like to attend but don’t get on the list in time, you can try to buy an unneeded ticket at face value here in the Camp Mustache subforum. We will lock down attendance one month before camp; after that time, if you buy a secondhand ticket, you may not be able to change dietary or rooming preferences.

Please note that other Camp Mustache events generally fill soon after registration opens.

What should I bring? Can I bring food, alcohol, and my dog?
We will provide confirmed attendees with a complete packing list.

Nut-free outside food is allowed. However, please be very careful to ensure any outside food you bring is nut-free so that our venue can offer a safe experience to those with nut allergies.
Alcohol is not allowed at our venue. Alcohol has been permitted by other Camp Mustache events but our venue is unable to accommodate this. Do not bring or consume any alcoholic beverages at CM*MW.
Pets are not allowed.

Can I be on the organizing committee?
Yes, we would love your help. Send us an email at CampMustacheMW@gmail.com!

More questions? Ask away!
You can contact us at CampMustacheMW@gmail.com or leave a comment right here in this thread!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 10:19:50 AM by grantmeaname »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Midwest CM*MW - Cincinnati, OH 4/22-4/24/2022
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 04:07:56 PM »
Reserved
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:01:06 PM by grantmeaname »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 04:08:10 PM »
reserved

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 04:15:18 PM »
You are the best, I am glad you have picked up this gauntlet.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 04:18:55 PM »
Tried to email you at the gmail address listed - rejected.

Typo?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 04:24:10 PM »
I think I got it and replied, PM me if you don't see it!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 04:28:25 PM »
I think I got it and replied, PM me if you don't see it!

Bingo - 2nd try went through.  1st eaten by gremlins

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
Nice! I'm in, and super excited about it! :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 04:38:32 PM »
Great Job Grant - hope it's a huge success!

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 04:54:47 PM »
I couldn't possibly resist a mustache camp so close to me. Count me in - looking forward to it!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 06:03:37 PM »
Exciting!!  I'm glad to see this and am sure it will be a great time for the attendees!

Hash Brown

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 08:45:40 AM »
I live in Cincinnati.  I have a pretty good idea where this is going to be.  Be aware that the contemplated canoeing/kayaking is probably not going to be possible in April due to high, fast water on the Little Miami and likely the Ohio River as well. 

There is a very long rails-to-trail bike trail known colloquially as the Loveland Bike Trail.  The trail is almost 100 miles long.  There is a bike rental place in DT Loveland but it might not be open that early in the season.  About a half dozen restaurants/bars/breweries dot the bike trail. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 12:04:16 PM »
On the fence...posting to keep updated.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 01:23:03 PM »
...opportunities for badass fitness and naturey enrichment like looking at plants...

I like it!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 10:00:14 AM »
Update 8/30: Pre-registration is now closed!
Preregistration has now closed. If you would like to go to Camp Mustache Midwest, look for someone wanting to sell their ticket here on the MMM forums or email the org squad at CampMustacheMW@gmail.com to see if we know of someone.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 09:00:14 PM by grantmeaname »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2021, 10:05:36 AM »
...opportunities for badass fitness and naturey enrichment like looking at plants...
I like it!
If you know anybody with looking-at-plants expertise send them my way!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 09:03:15 AM »
Interesting.  Never been one so close and so not sold out....

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 02:44:05 PM »
We're not full yet but the numbers are ticking up quickly! If you're on the fence, make sure you decide by the weekend to give yourself the best chance of making it to camp...

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 06:55:25 PM »
I love that this is happening! Let me know how I can help.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 09:10:39 PM »
Can we have skyline chili at the camp? 

I'm pretty sure I'm in for this.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2021, 06:35:47 AM »
@MustachioedPistachio and I just registered!

huntergatherer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2021, 07:05:43 AM »
I like it!

I am an avid forager of wild edibles (plants, fruits, nuts, roots, mushrooms, etc) and very happy to lead the plant walk(s)! I live just west of Cincinnati so I am very familiar with the habitat.

huntergatherer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2021, 07:29:37 AM »

I'm in as well! Hope to catch up with you here in Greater Cincinnati! It was my pleasure meeting you and your wife at Camp Mustache 2019.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 09:43:13 AM »

I like it!

I am an avid forager of wild edibles (plants, fruits, nuts, roots, mushrooms, etc) and very happy to lead the plant walk(s)! I live just west of Cincinnati so I am very familiar with the habitat.

Grant, you couldn't have found a better person than huntergatherer here... I got to hear him share about his foraging skills and it's amazing.

I'm in as well! Hope to catch up with you here in Greater Cincinnati! It was my pleasure meeting you and your wife at Camp Mustache 2019.

Yes! It'd be awesome to see you again.

Will your friend be joining as well?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2021, 02:42:55 PM »
I think this would be really cool to attend but I expect to still be a bit hobbled from post-surgery recovery. Would someone who is unable to hike or bike have a poor experience at Camp Mustache? II'm unfamiliar with the schedule so I don't know how much of it is discussion/hanging out vs. physical activity.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 03:49:46 PM »
It's mostly hanging out. We're an all ages group and the last one I attended had a new mom. If you can be comfortable sitting at a picnic table for a lot of the day and walking maybe half a mile or a mile total per day, you're probably good to go.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2021, 06:09:48 PM »
Can we organize some transports or groups from the Cincy airport ?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2021, 06:21:58 PM »
Yeah, we'll put together carpools once we've notified the people who are selected

airboy

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2021, 06:31:15 PM »

We will!  Along with some new friends who couldn't make it to CM*TO last time

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Hey fence sitters - don't forget to preregister this weekend if you want to have the best chance at camp! Slowly but surely we are filling up!

huntergatherer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2021, 02:39:03 PM »

It would be very awesome to see you involved with Camp Mustache Midwest! I loved Camp Mustache 2019 and it was a big factor in my decision to FIRE in 2020. Thank you!

huntergatherer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2021, 02:42:41 PM »

I like it!

Grant, you couldn't have found a better person than huntergatherer here... I got to hear him share about his foraging skills and it's amazing.

Thanks, Joe! I look forward to seeing you again. You have been a great inspiration for me! My girlfriend Ann will be joining!

Thanks for endorsing me for my foraging skills :-)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2021, 02:44:23 PM »
I think we more or less have it covered! All that's left for you to do is show up and hang out if your travel plans permit!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
If you're one of those people that likes to wait until the last moment - then congrats! This is the last moment! Preregistration closes today.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2021, 02:19:51 PM »
This is exciting!  I'm glad MeadowLark advertised this in her journal because I would have missed it otherwise.

I think we more or less have it covered! All that's left for you to do is show up and hang out if your travel plans permit!

You should at least have a conversation with Yolfer if you haven't already.  He's hosted six of these and I'm sure could help identify any potential snags you haven't thought of yet.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2021, 09:16:59 PM »
That's a wrap, folks! Pre-registration is now closed.

Those of you who pre-registered should be getting an email from us tomorrow with instructions. As a reminder, you have about a week to pay (through Sunday night, September 5th).

Those who did not pre-register but who would still like to go to Camp Mustache Midwest, look for someone wanting to sell their ticket here on the MMM forums or email the org squad at CampMustacheMW@gmail.com to see if we know of someone.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2021, 10:09:32 PM »
Hoping I made the cut! This looks like a lot of fun. Based on conversation in the Traditional to Roth IRA thread, I think it could be cool to lead a session on that. I don't know if that's an appropriate kind of session for the setting though.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2021, 04:56:14 AM »
Hoping I made the cut! This looks like a lot of fun. Based on conversation in the Traditional to Roth IRA thread, I think it could be cool to lead a session on that. I don't know if that's an appropriate kind of session for the setting though.

I think it would be great. This forum is aging. People are starting to retire. I think it's a great discussion

markpst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2021, 12:55:24 PM »
Does it cost more to receive the PayPal funds if I use a credit card? If so I can probably switch to a bank account.

Looking forward to going!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »
Does it cost more to receive the PayPal funds if I use a credit card? If so I can probably switch to a bank account.

Looking forward to going!
If you pay as a friend jt costs you more to use a credit card. If you pay as not a friend it costs the camp more either way.

markpst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »
Thank you - I made payment to "someone I trust".

Mark

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2021, 01:48:49 PM »
Need to sell my ticket.  :-(. Turns out my wife changed her birthday and our anniversary to April 24th.  (Pretty sure it used to be in an M month.  Maybe.)
Seriously, I was so excited I forgot the date.  I’m in a bit of trouble…

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2021, 01:55:28 PM »
You're first on the list! If we get a late add we'll have them email you to arrange payment instead of paying us.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2021, 06:46:03 AM »
This is your friendly payment reminder - we are about halfway paid up. If you have not done so, please make sure to pay by this Sunday, September 5th, to claim your bunk at CM*MW.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2021, 02:14:30 PM »
Almost all paid up!

If you're one of the last few stragglers, please try and get your payment in today if you can.

If you'd like to come to CM*MW and didn't make it on the list the first time, please send an email to CampMustacheMW@gmail.com - we have a few spots open.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2021, 12:44:12 PM »
I'M IN
Excited to hang with everyone!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2022, 03:01:03 PM »
Happy New Year, everyone! We're getting closer :)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2022, 04:29:05 PM »
Now that we're in the new year, it's getting more exciting!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2022, 11:17:04 AM »
Dang, I should pay more attention to these meet-ups. I have a feeling I'm not far away from where this is being held. Would have been fun. Maybe next year.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2022, 01:25:02 PM »
I'm on the list! Is this the official chat for the group or is there a super secret chat somewhere else? I don't remember when the remainder of the balance is due either