Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto 2018-9-21 (CM*TO) - The Mustachians Strike Back  (Read 277138 times)

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto 2018-9-21 (CM*TO) - The Mustachians Strike Back
« Reply #750 on: August 15, 2018, 06:27:18 AM »
Late night campfire followed by early morning coffee. No sleep required.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #751 on: August 15, 2018, 07:00:41 AM »
The fire pit, the weather, and most of all, just getting to chat to different people at each gathering and finding out that they were ALL as cool as the last group I had talked to. It was pretty incredible how fun to talk to and interesting everyone was.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #752 on: August 15, 2018, 10:50:36 AM »
I was humbled by the amount of expertise within the collective group and how willing everyone was to share and advise.  So many wise, experienced, and full-on badass people there I would never meet except that we had Mustachianism in common! 

(I'd be interested in knowing the total amount of additional compensation last year's campers have successfully negotiated, based on the coaching and advice they got at camp.  I would not be surprised if the total cracked six figures per year.)

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #753 on: August 15, 2018, 11:13:26 AM »
(I'd be interested in knowing the total amount of additional compensation last year's campers have successfully negotiated, based on the coaching and advice they got at camp.  I would not be surprised if the total cracked six figures per year.)

Would you then subtract CSW who successfully negotiated herself to zero compensation as a result of Camp?

(So did I, but that was already in the works and not a result of Camp.)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #754 on: August 15, 2018, 11:15:08 AM »

Would you then subtract CSW who successfully negotiated herself to zero compensation as a result of Camp?

(So did I, but that was already in the works and not a result of Camp.)

No way, the people who were inspired to pull the ripcord are a whole other category of success.  :))))

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #755 on: August 15, 2018, 03:05:31 PM »
The people are always the best part.

Just time to socialize and hang out.

:D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #756 on: August 16, 2018, 03:25:59 AM »
I'm at double my income.

And yes the people and knowledge and connections.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #757 on: August 16, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
I'm at double my income.

WHAT?  AMAZING!!!!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #758 on: August 16, 2018, 02:23:41 PM »
Folks, I'm officially tapping out.

Call me "out of office" from tonight to Labour Day. If I check in, well, be surprised - I mean I might flit in and out tomorrow, but I have a billion things I'm focused on, and this ain't one... Sorry. Tomorrow night is my last night at home for a while.

In my absence, I know you are in good hands. The rest of the Org Com. is watching this space and will keep you up to date on anything exciting that comes up.

When I get back, I'll go into fire-stomping mode and make sure everything is copasetic. In the mean time, watch #RideJamesRide on twitter. You can find me there.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #759 on: August 16, 2018, 03:08:10 PM »
Have an AMAZING ride!!!! Looking forward to watching your adventures on Twitter!

---------------------

Camp Mustache Toronto (Sep 21-23) is where all the cool Mustachians will be gathering for meatball parties,  karaoke in the bell tower and VolleyHockeyBall!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #760 on: August 17, 2018, 08:16:54 AM »
I have this sudden desire to post something completely irresponsible.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #761 on: August 17, 2018, 11:24:23 AM »

Don't. Not allowed.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #762 on: August 17, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
Don't. Not allowed.

Laden or unladen?

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #763 on: August 17, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »
I'm at double my income.

WHAT?  AMAZING!!!!
+2

---------------------

Camp Mustache Toronto (Sep 21-23) is where all the cool Mustachians will be gathering for meatball parties,  karaoke in the bell tower and VolleyHockeyBall!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #764 on: August 17, 2018, 01:46:11 PM »
Don't. Not allowed.

Laden or unladen?

WHAT is your favorite color?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #765 on: August 17, 2018, 02:39:49 PM »
I'm at double my income.

Wow, that's awesome, congrats! :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #766 on: August 17, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »
IMPORTANT NEW CAMPER/WAITLIST/RE-SALE INFORMATION

Several available bunks have been recently snapped up, though we do have a few left for any prospective campers. 

For anyone considering grabbing a last-minute bunk, please be aware that the last day we can accommodate requests for dietary restrictions is Friday August 31st.  The venue's kitchen needs final information by then in order to properly meet all the campers' needs.  If you have any special food requests please ensure you have bought your bunk and gotten your details to us by August 31st.

Any questions, please PM me or e-mail cmto.guestmanagement@gmail.com (Prospector is on his epic fundraising bike ride for the next two weeks so my response time to messages will likely be faster).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #767 on: August 18, 2018, 07:25:27 AM »
Are people still dropping out at this late stage??? And expecting the committee (one of whom is about to make bicycling history and bicycle from Toronto to New York just to visit a roller coaster - surely there are closer ones) to repay for the tickets and get replacement campers???

I thought organisation was at the heart of mustashianism. The committee deserve halos.

The committee puts a drop-out in touch with someone on the wait list.  The 2 individuals then do all the finances.  One name goes, another one is added.  Minimal (but still some) work fro the committee, and someone on the wait list is a happy camper.  And the organizing committee should be ID'ed at camp by wearing halos.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #768 on: August 18, 2018, 10:41:07 AM »
And the organizing committee should be ID'ed at camp by wearing halos.

[warning, about to cross the threads] mohair has a nice halo, but I hate working with it, especially in this heat

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #769 on: August 20, 2018, 07:36:32 AM »
Excited to share our latest breakout session

Real estate investments & landlording Q&A

Experienced landlord? Newbie thinking about dipping a toe into investing in real estate? The Vennes and Snakesinthegrasss&co are here to tell the tales of how they got where they are today and then will open up to a general Q&A. Ask questions, find out answers to things you hadn't thought to ask questions about.

Snakesinthegrass & co have a 30-year perspective on Canadian real estate (which included market ups and downs) and have bought and sold four houses, two of which they still own.  Along the way, they have been landlords, bought a house in as little as 5 days and have been Airbnb Superhosts for three years running. Post FIRE, they plan to invest in ugly-duckling, single-family homes around Toronto and returning them to the rental market.

The Vennes have found a way to become FI with 2 kids before the age of 30 on the cash flow of just two multi-unit apartment buildings in Northern Ontario. Find out how to maximize capitalization rates, how to cut expenses and increase revenues in existing buildings and as a bonus learn how Reggie and Danielle earn over $3,000/year in cash back and travel rewards just by paying utility bills.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #770 on: August 20, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »
And the organizing committee should be ID'ed at camp by wearing halos.

[warning, about to cross the threads] mohair has a nice halo, but I hate working with it, especially in this heat

Mohair has a lovely halo, and doesn't shed as much as angora.  But even better would be sparkly tinsel, or the gold crochet cotton that has a gold thread in it.  Unfortunately it usually only shows up in the stores near Christmas time.

Lovelywings

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #771 on: August 21, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »
I just learned about this, as a new Toronto resident. Is everything sold out? 😞

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #772 on: August 21, 2018, 11:04:44 AM »
I just learned about this, as a new Toronto resident. Is everything sold out? 😞

@Lovelywings - fastest to check with @okits directly:

Any questions, please PM me or e-mail cmto.guestmanagement@gmail.com (Prospector is on his epic fundraising bike ride for the next two weeks so my response time to messages will likely be faster).

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #773 on: August 21, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »
I am so excited to be coming to CM*TO!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #774 on: August 21, 2018, 08:22:48 PM »
It's going to be amazing to hang out with all the other awesome Mustachians. I came home raving about Camp last year. Thrilled my husband is going to join me this year so he can see for himself!

---------------------

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #775 on: August 22, 2018, 07:16:30 AM »

Whoa, you are coming???

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #776 on: August 22, 2018, 10:02:48 AM »
It's going to be amazing to hang out with all the other awesome Mustachians. I came home raving about Camp last year. Thrilled my husband is going to join me this year so he can see for himself!

---------------------

I guess I just got demoted away from being Elaine's paddling partner if her husband is coming...

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #777 on: August 22, 2018, 04:36:25 PM »

---------------------

I guess I just got demoted away from being Elaine's paddling partner if her husband is coming...
Noooooooo

Besides, most of the time my DH will be perfectly happy to chill out on dry land while someone else indulges my obsession with paddling!

---------------------

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #778 on: August 22, 2018, 05:34:59 PM »

---------------------

Noooooooo

Besides, most of the time my DH will be perfectly happy to chill out on dry land while someone else indulges my obsession with paddling!

---------------------

Your husband and I can tag team and take breaks while you non-stop paddle for hours.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #779 on: August 22, 2018, 10:05:12 PM »

---------------------

Noooooooo

---------------------

Your husband and I can tag team and take breaks while you non-stop paddle for hours.
ROFL!! Now you're talking my language!!! (And yes, I've done that before!)

---------------------

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #780 on: August 23, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »
@Jessa:  yes, a bunk opened up and I got in!  I’m so looking forward to it.  Have virtually no camping experience so that part will be an adventure.  Booking a plane flight today.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #781 on: August 23, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
@Jessa:  yes, a bunk opened up and I got in!  I’m so looking forward to it.  Have virtually no camping experience so that part will be an adventure.  Booking a plane flight today.

I'm excited to meet you! You don't need camping experience, just the ability to sleep on a bunk bed :)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #782 on: August 23, 2018, 12:39:25 PM »

I'm excited to meet you! You don't need camping experience, just the ability to sleep on a bunk bed :)

And you gotta be able to sit around a campfire, chill by a beautiful lake....and play VolleyHockeyBall!

---------------------

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #783 on: September 07, 2018, 08:05:05 PM »
LAST MINUTE CM*TO BUNKS

Hi Mustachians!

Two weeks until the big event and we have two available bunks for any last minute campers looking to come to CM*TO 2018!  Please PM me or e-mail cmto.guestmanagement@gmail.com if you'd like to buy a spot from a fellow Mustachian who can no longer attend. 

(Note: we may not be able to accommodate any new special food restriction requests at this late date, so a last-minute spot may not be suitable for a Mustachian with strict dietary needs.)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #784 on: September 21, 2018, 04:56:01 PM »
OMG.

Things I have learned so far at CM*TO:

- passive indexing really is great value in terms of return for time + effort
- Tiny Sparkles: 10/10 CUTE
- Sep 21: perfect sunny day for a lakeside retreat
- wow forum friends are great in person
- there ain't no party like a Mustachian meatball party!

Can't wait for karaoke.  :)))

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #785 on: September 21, 2018, 11:46:29 PM »
I'm shouting this out from the rooftops! After years and years of explaining index funds to DH, he finally is starting to agree that it makes sense. And that maybe stock picking doesn't make that much sense.

And of course - the folks here at Camp are awesome as always :) Late night tonight especially since I am planning an 6:45am hike tomorrow.

---------------------

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #786 on: September 22, 2018, 04:58:35 AM »
Camp is awesome so far!!

Highlights:

Tiny Sparkles!!!!  (Even though I haven't held him yet)

Meeting Embok and watching her dance an Irish jig to a really bad John Denver song

Firepit!!!

Big Dipper!!!

Beautiful lake!!!

Birthday champagne!!!

Chocolate cake!!!

COFFEE.  :)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #787 on: September 22, 2018, 04:40:46 PM »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #788 on: September 24, 2018, 12:09:15 AM »
It's 2am and I am about to hit the sack for the final night - so sad to see the majority of Camp leave throughout the day and so very glad we got the chance to stay an extra night.

I am operating on a severe lack of sleep right now and don't have to mental capacity to do comprehensive recaps (plus my fingers keep slipping off my phone keyboard lol!). That said - this morning's huge takeaway for me was that I am just never going to be able to plan for every eventuality of FIRE. It was actually rather comforting to hear FIRE folks admit that their FIRE plans didn't always work out. Several ended up with FIRE that looked very different from what they originally thought. And yet....they managed just fine.

So many amazing people reminded me that I am much more capable and resourceful than I think. And that I really will be able to solve problems as they come up.

Oh...and that I can in fact sing (very badly) in front of a bunch of people as long as I am blindfolded and wearing headphones!! Thanks @TotheMoon for introducing us to Karayake -  it was way, way funnier than I thought possible (especially at 1am!)

Congratulations to the winners of the International VolleyHockeyBall Tournament.  And thanks to all the players for being amazing sports - and for playing your hearts out in the midst of pure madness and mayhem! You guys made all the effort of creating the game absolutely worth it. And for those who have never heard of VolleyHockeyBall -  you are going to have to come to Camp next year to find out. As one camper put it....it is one of those games where you simply have to be there.

DH and I had a great weekend at Camp and it has given us so many discussion points. Since he is the spouse who has never read a single word of a single blog post or any of the forums, it was lovely for him to hear information from people other than myself.

Until next year!

---------------------

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #789 on: September 24, 2018, 06:51:24 AM »
It was great to see all the informal breakout sessions, the one-on-one discussions, and the pop-out talks that happened throughout the weekend. Even in my carpool on the way home I was struck by the concept of a Post-traumatic Growth experience, and I hope that the contributor is open to speaking about that a bit more at a future event. Sometimes just hearing about how someone else's life gave them a kick in the pants creates a sympathetic resonance in your own brain that crystallizes things immensely.

I really loved our mid-stage accumulation and downshifting speed dating tables on Sunday. Thank you for everyone who was a good sport about me disrupting your discussion and forcing a reset with a new group of folks.

I wish I had been more of a late night owl to attend the second shift of the campfire crew, but I am who I am, and I enjoyed the early morning walk gang.

daveed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Instagram
« Reply #790 on: September 24, 2018, 07:03:53 AM »
Awesome meeting everyone this weekend.

GO TEAM WORLD. Feel rejuvenated to continue focusing on frugality and badassity, as well as long term planning next steps towards FIRE.

- David from Ann Arbor

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #791 on: September 24, 2018, 07:08:06 AM »
A HUGE thank you to all the folks who worked so hard to make this year's camp so awesome.  Everything seemed to run smoothly and the campers (AND the organizers!) seemed relaxed, engaged, and happy to be here!!

Thank you and merci!!!

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #792 on: September 24, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you to Prospector, Mrs. Prospector, Elaine amj, Plain Jane, Okits and everyone else who planned and made CM*TO happen.  I apologize to anyone on the organizing committee that I missed.  It takes so much work to organize an event like that, and I am so grateful to you all.

The camp was in a beautiful place; more importantly, it was just great to meet so many terrific, kind, thinking and funny people.  The food was also great.

I had a blast — it was so rejuvenating, even though I stayed up too late and need more sleep — but the talk and the fun were too good to go to bed at a reasonable time any night (which is why I missed all the early AM events).  I learned some useful things, and also found the process personally helpful as a time during which to think about my own goals while being inspired by others’, even if they are different from mine.

Many thanks again.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #793 on: September 24, 2018, 03:38:52 PM »
I am home after an odyssey  involving a ride from camp, 3 transit services, and one mis-booked ticket. I also have no voice, red eyes, and the sort of fatigue that would normally follow a full-body workout in a crossfit Gym. No worries. I am not joining a crossfit gym.

CM*TO 2018 is in the books. We did it.

Volley-hockey-ball continues to be the best game ever. I hope someone posts pics of the post-game celebration where team "The World" Hoisted the cup and celebrated their win. Also Momma is gloating about her win as Checker.

I am not sure if it is possible to OD on Maple Floss... but I feel very strong. Like a tree.

Sessions - like groceries and biking and travel hacking and meditation and investing and Post-FI seemed to generate a load of positive chatter. All the sessions so good - and the pop-up sessions maybe even better.

I cannot sing. Not with a karaoke setup, not with a Kara-Yucky setup. I apologize to all of the folks who I made feel like they should lie about my abilities.

We canoed a river. My retinas will never be the same. I think it looked nice out there. Next time, I'm bringing sunglasses.

The best part - friends. I met people with similar concerns, similar spending, similar goals, similar fears, similar challenges, and similar smiles. I saw tears and excitement and determination. I believe all the people I spoke with were so earnest and so invested in improving themselves that they will succeed. I love you all (in a guy way, not "Like THAT").

Thanks for being there. You made this weekend great.

FYI - Momma and I checked our calendar against next fall's booking date, and things look do-able from here. Pretty soon I should be letting my lips make you a promise. We just need to tie up the loose ends from this year.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:55:37 AM by Prospector »

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #794 on: September 24, 2018, 05:25:48 PM »
You build it, I will come. Though this time, the FIRE'd version of me. I'll have more time and come burn out my retinas with y'all.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #795 on: September 24, 2018, 07:08:38 PM »
I think my voice is still recovering, but I'm back to feeling mostly human again after a good night's sleep.  Thanks again to all the organizers for putting on such an amazing event!  My only regret is not having enough stock to fuel my new maple floss addiction...

-Andy from Indiana/Ohio

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #796 on: September 24, 2018, 07:27:59 PM »
I drove 24 hours in a four day weekend to be at nerd camp and it was worth it. There is no higher praise than that.

New life goal is to sleep enough this week to make up for this weekend! (Also to bring a posse of more than 5 next year!)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #797 on: September 24, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »
I think my voice is still recovering, but I'm back to feeling mostly human again after a good night's sleep.  Thanks again to all the organizers for putting on such an amazing event!  My only regret is not having enough stock to fuel my new maple floss addiction...

-Andy from Indiana/Ohio
We got back this evening.  Averaging 2-4 hrs of sleep a night over 3 nights was not good for my voice lol! I am currently talking in hoarse whispers.

---------------------

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #798 on: September 24, 2018, 08:31:12 PM »
I have absolutely no voice left.
I have not stayed up until 420 AM in many many years.
#totallyworthit
:)

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #799 on: September 24, 2018, 10:24:05 PM »
I just got home too - nothing like sitting on your butt for 14 solid hours to round out a spectacular 5 days!

Excellent venue, great food, interesting sessions - but above all, an amazing group of people!

Huge thanks to the (ahem) 2018 organizers for spending all that time ensuring we would have a great weekend.

I REALLY need to catch up on some sleep now.  Goodnight!