Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto 2018-9-21 (CM*TO) - The Mustachians Strike Back  (Read 277145 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Canada 2018 - The Mustachians Strike Back
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
I am sure I am not the only one who immediately realized how to gamify this situation and up their odds.

EDIT:  ...no? Just me?  :P  I'm sure there's a few of you that love loopholes that spotted it immediately.

Hint: Even if you're single, partner up with a forum friend wanting to attend. Suddenly you both are twice as likely to be able to attend as if you just applied for yourself.  Now the question becomes... how many people in a "family"?  50 foumers all applying for themselves + 49 guests, if any of the 50 is chosen, all get in?   ;)

(I'm tongue-in-cheek on this last part, of course, I'm sure it's capped at +1-3 or whatever, or actual family size.)

Using Google forms...

Export to CSV
Sort A-->Z
Delete duplicate.

Done.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:17:23 AM by Prospector »

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
PTF...hoping that the Cheapskates will be able to speak to Post-FIRE life ...and we'll practice "Love Shack" before trying that again ;-)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »
I am sure I am not the only one who immediately realized how to gamify this situation and up their odds.

EDIT:  ...no? Just me?  :P  I'm sure there's a few of you that love loopholes that spotted it immediately.

Hint: Even if you're single, partner up with a forum friend wanting to attend. Suddenly you both are twice as likely to be able to attend as if you just applied for yourself.  Now the question becomes... how many people in a "family"?  50 foumers all applying for themselves + 49 guests, if any of the 50 is chosen, all get in?   ;)

(I'm tongue-in-cheek on this last part, of course, I'm sure it's capped at +1-3 or whatever, or actual family size.)

Using Google forms...

Export to CSV
Sort A-->Z
Delete duplicate.

Done.

How would you know that there are duplicates in Guests? If everyone takes +1 , they can bring their forum friends who didn't win the lottery :D

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2017, 09:56:08 AM »
If you really only want to go as a forum couple, absolutely fill it in with a friend. Prosp says that 2 adults = 2 chances
If you win a spot and later have a change of plans and can't go, what happens?
Same as last year - it depends on the resale market/waitlist situation

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2017, 10:44:34 AM »
I suppose that's the fairest way to do it. Are you picking presenters pre-lottery then? Or pulling non-keynotes out of the attendee pool?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
I suppose that's the fairest way to do it. Are you picking presenters pre-lottery then? Or pulling non-keynotes out of the attendee pool?

I will fill some presentation spots early but hold some for closer to the event. Last year we have a bunch of late joiners who would make great presenters.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2017, 10:50:40 AM »

I will fill some presentation spots early but hold some for closer to the event. Last year we have a bunch of late joiners who would make great presenters.

True, good way to handle it.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »
Posting to follow. Sounds like CMC2017 was a blast.

jordanread

« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »
Please see Post 1 - updated with current information.

How does the lottery work with couples?

You apply for a couples spot.

Since this isn't a very locked down part of the forum, would you mind removing the username of my better half in this snipped quote?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2017, 12:23:26 PM »

You apply for a couples spot.

Since this isn't a very locked down part of the forum, would you mind removing the username of my better half in this snipped quote?

Done.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Canada: Toronto 2018 Edition - The Mustachians Strike Back
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2017, 03:38:41 PM »
I just realized that there is literally no reason to hold back on opening up the lottery thing. I'll open up the link immediately. This link will stop accepting traffic on Dec. 1 with a goal to award bunks by Dec. 15th. This should allow enough time to buy a bunk as a Christmas gift.

CMC Toronto 2018 Bunk Lottery

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »
I just realized that there is literally no reason to hold back on opening up the lottery thing. I'll open up the link immediately. This link will stop accepting traffic on Dec. 1 with a goal to award bunks by Dec. 15th. This should allow enough time to buy a bunk as a Christmas gift.

CMC Toronto 2018 Bunk Lottery

Awesome!

I think you need a break from CMC 2017, with all of your hard work. But you just keep on going and going and going...you are like the Energizer Bunny (if so, stay away from TheGoblinChief).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »
Axe just mentioned in his journal there was no date, and I didn't see it at first either, cause sometimes Prospy stealth edits the first post, but doesn't post in thread the same info. If you didn't realize CM Toronto 2018 doesn't yet have a date, it does! Sept 21-23rd 2018

See the first post for more details!  :)

This year (2017) it was one week before FinCon... next year they both moved ~1 month earlier, so it's STILL one week before FinCon. :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2017, 06:13:12 AM »
Yes - the date is shown in post 1, as well as on the lottery form. I've moved it up into the header of the entry form.

I will update this thread's title as well.

We are being challenged by naming conventions. Since other Canadian camps are now being offered, our name has been seconded to include all Canadian camps, and the "CMC 2018 - Toronto Edition" name is longish. After consultation with my Excellent organizational committee, I am leaning toward taking CM*TO as our "callsign" - it pleases me that the asterisk looks like a maple leaf if I squint.

Currently about 30 people have entered the bunk lottery. Some are duplicates due to being with a partner. Some are outside the forum community since I posted the camp to a couple FB feeds and emailed last year's attendees. Please put the link in your signature to spread the word around so we can get enough interest to make CM*TO happen. We have 60 bunks available and a month to fill the lottery pool. Being halfway to a camp in day 1 is awesome.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »

You apply for a couples spot. If your question is whether it diminishes your opportunity at getting a spot, the answer is not really since you can enter the lottery with your SO as your guest, and she can enter the lottery with you as her guest.

ie. 2 people get 2 entries.

Using Google forms...

Export to CSV
Sort A-->Z
Delete duplicate.

Done.

I am confused by these posts. So couples get double chances or you're going to dedupe?

If going by the rules in the first post, seems like couples would get an advantage. As a single person, guess how I feel about this prosp!

(Just choose me as a presenter again and I will not pursue legal action.)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2017, 07:32:28 AM »

You apply for a couples spot. If your question is whether it diminishes your opportunity at getting a spot, the answer is not really since you can enter the lottery with your SO as your guest, and she can enter the lottery with you as her guest.

Using Google forms...

Export to CSV
Sort A-->Z
Delete duplicate.

Done.

I am confused by these posts. So couples get double chances or you're going to dedupe?

If going by the rules in the first post, seems like couples would get an advantage. As a single person, guess how I feel about this prosp!

Who is your lawyer?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto 2018 (CM*TO) - The Mustachians Strike Back
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2017, 07:38:36 AM »

Who is your lawyer?

I am so stealing this response.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »
MJ, do you want to be ballot buddies?

Or do you want to be ballot buddies with someone else. I'm not enough of a stats wizard to know if the singles are being discriminated against, but I trust Prospector, and I've seen the form (but I can resubmit with a camp buddy).

Also, I highly recommend a panel discussion on mustachian dating. We could guarantee spots for a bunch of cool people, and have amazing discussions about how to not stress over date spending, beauty standards, gifts, and how to budget for items for ancillary activities.

Also, totally on topic, I got accused of being a catfish yesterday. I was offended, and now am flattered.  Let's derail this thread to discuss

MOD EDIT: Name redacted.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:01:32 AM by arebelspy »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2017, 07:56:31 AM »

Using Google forms...

Export to CSV
Sort A-->Z
Delete duplicate.

Done.

Who is your lawyer?

Hmm...I wonder if we will need a Canadian lawyer...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2017, 07:59:02 AM »
I am sure Prospector can solve the loophole any number of ways. Have faith in him. :)

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2017, 08:59:54 AM »

Bumping my question again before I go for it.  Same as this year?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »

Bumping my question again before I go for it.  Same as this year?

Exactly the same. I offer no guarantees of a resale, but I will post it to a waitlist as soon as I can after hearing you are giving up your spot.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »
i submitted my name for the lottery as soon as I opened up that email this morning :)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »
Seems like there will be lots and lots of people on the waitlist.

How open are you to bribes Prospector? I have all these bottles of alcohol here.... What to do with them...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »
Not so much bribes, but I'll never turn down a chance to sit down and have a beer with a friend.

SmoothSailing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2017, 07:46:25 PM »
Following!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2017, 05:07:02 AM »
Post 1 updated to show link to ticket lottery. We have about 40 names in the lottery so far.

Lottery Link

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2017, 07:31:53 AM »
Booyeah!!! We have one confirmed speaker for CM*TO - I'm not saying who just yet, but I can't hold out for long. This is exciting stuff. I'll be reaching out to speaker #2 forthwith. I'd like to have at least half of our speakers arranged neatly before the lottery ends.

Let's just say that this person is an all-star in my eyes and that CM*TO wouldn't be the same without them. Also, if anyone guesses who it is, well... I'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2017, 07:38:32 AM »
Booyeah!!! We have one confirmed speaker for CM*TO - I'm not saying who just yet, but I can't hold out for long. This is exciting stuff. I'll be reaching out to speaker #2 forthwith. I'd like to have at least half of our speakers arranged neatly before the lottery ends.

Let's just say that this person is an all-star in my eyes and that CM*TO wouldn't be the same without them. Also, if anyone guesses who it is, well... I'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
From the first paragraph I thought it was related to a hint you left in another thread (re: business), but the second paragraph negated that. Very curious though. :)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2017, 08:03:28 AM »
I'm going to guess an NHL star that is extremely frugal. One who's on the edge of being an All-star, and plays for Props`favorite team.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2017, 08:03:52 AM »

From the first paragraph I thought it was related to a hint you left in another thread (re: business), but the second paragraph negated that. Very curious though. :)

Yeah - I had to go back and edit tyhat other post to avoid confusion here...

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2017, 08:50:51 AM »
I'm going to guess an NHL star that is extremely frugal. One who's on the edge of being an All-star, and plays for Props`favorite team.

Prosp cheers for Montreal. 

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »

Prosp cheers for Montreal.

Okits just gets me. She knows these things.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2017, 10:29:23 AM »
if its an montreal or Toronto player then they should be free by the end of April......

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
if its an montreal or Toronto player then they should be free by the end of April......

Nice.

I was going through the list of potential disruptive things in my city, and was thinking that civil unrest was most likely if the Leafs won (or lost) in the final. Not sure which would be worse :)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
I thought that it was just Montreal that Riots regardless of the score.

WIN OR LOSE, MTL RIOTS. THATS WHAT WE DO.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2017, 07:31:41 PM »
I'm still confused if you are part of a couple if you are supposed to fill out one entry or two.
We're just filling out one, partially laziness, and partially we have no idea where we will be next September, so let the odds decide

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2017, 07:09:00 PM »
So I made all this noise about having a speaker lined up, and then never said who it was.

Jenga swiped right for CM*TO folks!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #188 on: November 06, 2017, 07:14:34 PM »
SUPER LIKE!

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
« Reply #189 on: November 06, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »
Is mj running a tinder breakout session?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2017, 07:36:10 PM »

Whether official or not, there is no way to prevent MJ from repeating her tinder session/obsession.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
Can we (you) put the date in the thread title? But keep our cool tag line.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2017, 08:06:10 AM »

Whether official or not, there is no way to prevent MJ from repeating her tinder session/obsession.
I'm hoping she angry cheerleads someone else into setting a FIRE date!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto 2018-10-21 (CM*TO) - The Mustachians Strike Back
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2017, 05:57:12 AM »
So our bunk lottery is at 59 entrants. This means that with one more entry we will have our minimum number of attendees and everyone gets a bunk (yay!) However it is opnly November 9th, and we are keeping this lottery open until the end of the month, so don't start counting your chickens just yet.

Also, when CM Baja ends I suspect there will be an influx of folks asking about bunks (at least that was what happened last year after CM-Seattle). I suspect that the waitlist will ebb and surge with the other camps.

What I am saying is that it is encouraging right now seeing that we have nearly hit the minimum number of attendees... and if you haven't gotten on the list, you have time, but it is filling.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2017, 06:27:38 AM »
We should put an over-under on number of apps.

I'm betting easily double the number of spots.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2017, 07:57:53 AM »
The title of this thread says that it will be October 21, but the first page says it will be in September. I am confused.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
Competition is heating up. maybe we should all stop talking about CMC for a bit? Your amazing work is paying off, Prospector!!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto 2018-09-21 (CM*TO) - The Mustachians Strike Back
« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2017, 02:26:40 PM »
The title of this thread says that it will be October 21, but the first page says it will be in September. I am confused.

September is correct. I think we need Prospector to fix the title in the first post though.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: November 09, 2017, 02:30:42 PM »
Competition is heating up. maybe we should all stop talking about CMC for a bit? Your amazing work is paying off, Prospector!!

Lol, when Props posted that everyone should add CMC 2018 to their signature, all I could think of was....why would I ever do that?! It might mean I don't get a spot. *

*Yes, I acknowledge the selfishness. I'm sorry!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »

It's in September. I fixed the thread title. Good catch. :)