Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto 2018-9-21 (CM*TO) - The Mustachians Strike Back  (Read 277098 times)

jordanread

Re: Camp Mustache Canada 2018 - The Mustachians Strike Back
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2017, 07:51:13 AM »
ME TOO!!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »
I only want to know if it said Camp is available Sep 28-30, because any other dates would only make me sad.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2017, 08:00:10 AM »
I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2017, 08:10:18 AM »
Inquring minds want to know .

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2017, 08:19:46 AM »
Geeeze you guys really pry into my personal emails. Aye carumba. Here's the email, word for word...

Morning <Prospector>!

Hope you are having a fantastic start to your day.

You will have a September weekend so no worries.
Either the 21st-23rd or the 28th-30th of September.

As soon as it’s confirmed you’ll be the first to know.

Thanks!

Paul

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
That was very deceiving Prospy!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2017, 08:32:19 AM »
Tell your buddy Paul he's a good guy.

Do you know when the other group will set a date, so we get a date?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2017, 08:32:48 AM »
Geeeze you guys really pry into my personal emails. Aye carumba. Here's the email, word for word...

Morning <Prospector>!

Hope you are having a fantastic start to your day.

You will have a September weekend so no worries.
Either the 21st-23rd or the 28th-30th of September.

As soon as it’s confirmed you’ll be the first to know.

Thanks!

Paul

You know we were all on tenterhooks waiting to find out which weekend was available. Back to waiting...

I have a hard time believing you have shy attacks.

Oh I do, I do! I signed up in a burst of enthusiasm...then spent the next few months wondering what I got myself into. Then begged G-Dog to hold my hand and room with me (she was the only person I had had PM conversations with since she and thegoblinchief were crashing at my place on the way up). Then cheered when rockstache (who I "knew" from the Losing Weight gauntlet) signed up.  It was wonderful to get to CMC and find everyone was friendly, that there were multiple conversations going on all over the place, and that people were not cliquey.

It's so much easier for people to stick to people they know so many times when I go solo for work conferences, you tend to meet folks and then just hang out with those few people through the whole few days. At CMC, it was different. People wanted to meet everyone else so groups formed and reformed constantly throughout the weekend and it never felt weird or out of place to walk past a group and stop to join the chatter - even if they'd already been talking for a long time before. That was truly my favourite part of CMC.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2017, 08:34:26 AM »
Do you think there will be an option to stay an extra night (Sun) or even get there a night early?  For a fee, of course.  As I will be retired then, my travel plans will have lots of flexibility, I hope. 

It would be fun to have a Thursday evening group who can chat in the relative calm before the uber fun hordes arrive on Friday...  (This is assuming I am lucky enough to get a spot at camp..)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2017, 08:39:30 AM »
Crossing my fingers for the later weekend.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2017, 08:43:09 AM »
Do you think there will be an option to stay an extra night (Sun) or even get there a night early?  For a fee, of course.  As I will be retired then, my travel plans will have lots of flexibility, I hope. 

It would be fun to have a Thursday evening group who can chat in the relative calm before the uber fun hordes arrive on Friday...  (This is assuming I am lucky enough to get a spot at camp..)

I'll make a decision on this based on our exit survey results. I wouldn't mind having an extra day to set up for the folks running the thing. That way we can open the gates earlier and get started with the agenda before lunch. The timing this year was about perfect for setting up and getting ready for attendees.

So many small pieces working together to make things work. Adding the option of the night before would be a nice bonus gift for voluntolds who had the flexibility to take up the offer. For instance, having Rockstache help by handing out shirts made check-in run really smoothly. It seems like nothing, but it was good and having her there the night before would be good for me, and a bonus for her.

jordanread

« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2017, 09:04:58 AM »
I was actually thinking something similar too. This is a bit extreme, but a full week available at camp, with the camp actually running Fri-Sun. Allows for more flexibility on flights.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2017, 09:15:38 AM »
Crossing my fingers for the later weekend.

And if it's the earlier one, you'll just need to cancel whatever the other thing is...easy peasy.  :D

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2017, 09:17:32 AM »
Prospy--I would gladly help with the set up on Thursday (or even Wednesday?) and the clean up on SundayMondayTuesday...

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »

There was a group of people who stayed an extra night on Sunday. And a bunch of folks did a meetup in TO the night before. Plus lots of sleepovers as people arrived from different places. G-Dog and thegoblinchief crashed at my place and I know there were many others who stayed in various other houses. So yes, it is a possibility. I wish I had stayed for the Sunday night but was out of vacation days. Maybe next year...who knows, I might be FIRE'd by then! DH is more open to it now and we've spent the past few days talking....

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
DH is more open to it now and we've spent the past few days talking....

More open to a) FIRE or b) CMC?  :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2017, 09:46:38 AM »

There was a group of people who stayed an extra night on Sunday. And a bunch of folks did a meetup in TO the night before. Plus lots of sleepovers as people arrived from different places. G-Dog and thegoblinchief crashed at my place and I know there were many others who stayed in various other houses. So yes, it is a possibility. I wish I had stayed for the Sunday night but was out of vacation days. Maybe next year...who knows, I might be FIRE'd by then! DH is more open to it now and we've spent the past few days talking....

To be fair, the Toronto meetup was mostly in the dark, so I met people, but I didn't really see them.

Also, 1/6th of the camp spent the night at our place. and 1/12th were at your place and Fiji's between us, we housed 1/3 of the campers. For next year we'll de-activate the motion light on the basement stairs. I have an inkling that this will make sleeping over more appealing. Our house will continue to be omnivore central, and Fiji's can continue to be the vegan delight. I also now have a "Visitors" flag for next year. thanks Andy.

A night before would add a buffer for me and prevent me having to leave at 0-dark-thirty to get to camp. I cannot begin to tell you how much I feared a 401 closure on Friday morning. When I went to get the Spies from the airport, there was a mattress on the road right at the Brock Rd. Collector split. I made it through before crews came to cleanup, but by the time we were returning home, the damage was done and traffic was backed up all the way through Ajax.

If the welcoming committee had gone from the Downtown meetup straight to camp, it would have been ideal for me.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »
DH is more open to it now and we've spent the past few days talking....

More open to a) FIRE or b) CMC?  :)

Amazingly enough - BOTH! He now says he wants to come to CMC next year (I was shocked!) and now says that we can start making moves to possibly FIRE-ing next year (I'm even MORE shocked!). We don't have quite enough to FIRE right now with our current stash at this year's extravagant level of spending...but since he will still get his long term disability for at least another year, that's a whole year we won't need to touch the stash! And neither of us are the types to never make another penny for the rest of our lives (much as that sounds nice). I keep hearing CanuckExpat's voice - "Money will find you!".

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2017, 12:11:08 PM »
having Rockstache help by handing out shirts made check-in run really smoothly. It seems like nothing, but it was good and having her there the night before would be good for me, and a bonus for her.

YES IT WOULD BE!

Aww thanks Prosp! I had a really fun time doing it, although I got easily distracted chatting to people and Jordan ended up doing my job half the time. She was awesome. And Momma, who I didn't realize was Momma until halfway through the camp. #embarrassing

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
This year was an excellent event. Thank you for awesome organizing Prospector.
My only regret is that there were too many awesome people that I didn't get time make it enough of a priority to talk to all of them. Something to work on for next time.

I look forward to finding out about next year.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2017, 06:41:06 AM »
Assuming I get what looks like a very hot ticket to CMC 2018, the ability to arrive Thursday PM would make travel very easy as I could just drive it in one shot, picking up any potential carpoolers on the way. Would happily help with check in if needed.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »
That email from Paul - Prospector is a tease.

If it is the right weekend (when will Paul know??????) I would love to just come straight to camp on Thursday. The logistics would be fine.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2017, 09:55:03 AM »
If choosing between a day at the back end or front, the back end is so much fun because we all know each other and can let down the hair a little in a smaller group. The smaller group at the front end you get to know them some, but everyone's nervous still, and then with the massive people still there if everyone leaves the same day, you don't get that same small group totally comfortable bonding.

However.... why not both?  ;)

3 day camp, optional days on both ends.

(We'd be there for all 5 days, likely leaving Annabelle next time, and willing to help with whatever we can.)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2017, 10:11:34 AM »
the back end is so much fun

Agreed.

For camp. An extra day after camp is better than before camp. I would do both front and back if we had that option.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »
If choosing between a day at the back end or front, the back end is so much fun because we all know each other and can let down the hair a little in a smaller group. The smaller group at the front end you get to know them some, but everyone's nervous still, and then with the massive people still there if everyone leaves the same day, you don't get that same small group totally comfortable bonding.

However.... why not both?  ;)

3 day camp, optional days on both ends.

(We'd be there for all 5 days, likely leaving Annabelle next time, and willing to help with whatever we can.)
+1000

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »
It is interesting how different the few voices here are from the many voices in the surveys.

Has anyone considered the cost implications of a 5 day conference vs a 3-day event? By adding 2 days, you are upping the meals and lodging by 60% when a number of people who attended the original could barely afford to attend. We need to remember that there is a spectrum we all fall on between FI and "FInding a pot to piss in." Also, while a 5-day festival/conference sounds fun, anyone who has attended a week-long music festival will let you know that things taper back DRAMATICALLY after day three of the party. It is impossible to sustain the level of intensity and activity found in days 1 and 2 for a full week.

Finally the administrative nightmare that would be booking rooms for early arrivals, late stayers, 3-day only, and 5 day extended passes, and the attendant carpool, bedding exchange, special diet accommodations, etc. would be... "type 2 fun" to steal a phrase from Sam.

I think you guys are all trying to kill me.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »
It is interesting how different the few voices here are from the many voices in the surveys.

Yeah? How so?

(Disclaimer: I'm @ FinCon, will do a survey next week. Ali has not seen survey, because it was on forum, which she is not on. Emailing out the survey might be a good idea.)

Has anyone considered the cost implications of a 5 day conference vs a 3-day event? By adding 2 days, you are upping the meals and lodging by 60% when a number of people who attended the original could barely afford to attend. We need to remember that there is a spectrum we all fall on between FI and "FInding a pot to piss in." Also, while a 5-day festival/conference sounds fun, anyone who has attended a week-long music festival will let you know that things taper back DRAMATICALLY after day three of the party. It is impossible to sustain the level of intensity and activity found in days 1 and 2 for a full week.

If the extra days are optional, there's no cost difference for people just attending the core days.

Finally the administrative nightmare that would be booking rooms for early arrivals, late stayers, 3-day only, and 5 day extended passes, and the attendant carpool, bedding exchange, special diet accommodations, etc. would be... "type 2 fun" to steal a phrase from Sam.

So get volunteers and delegate!

Stop taking everything on yourself! All the surveys should agree on that one. :)

jordanread

« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2017, 11:09:10 AM »

Hey, Monday I'm starting an app that will ease a lot of this headache. Not trying to kill you at all.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2017, 11:13:25 AM »
inspirer

respirer

inspirer

respirer.

Now you can do yoga in French. Also, I think we found other solutions to before and after parties, by dispersing people to various venues. It worked well.

And I have found my pot to piss in, it is a matter of continuing to earn money so that I don't get evicted from my apartment with my functional toilet. I dare you to make plainjane make a survey using that scale. And just give me or m2 all the email marketing shit to do. Actually don't. Give it to someone with similar skills, but who is done or mostly done accumulating money.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2017, 11:20:25 AM »
I totally missed the survey. What survey?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2017, 11:22:32 AM »
I totally missed the survey. What survey?

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/camp-mustache-canada/cmc-exit-survey/

Note to other Mustachians: it's a post-camp 2017 exit survey, not a survey for what you're interested in for 2018, so if you don't have access to that link, it's because you weren't at CMC this year, so don't sweat it. :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2017, 11:22:41 AM »
Aye carumba. I'll email it out already.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2017, 10:25:06 PM »
PTF.  CMC 2017 sounded like a blast!  Would love to be a part of the 2018 edition.

Gambatte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2017, 04:07:22 PM »
New to the forum and interested in this event.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2017, 05:35:48 PM »
I sent a picture with me hiking with my CMC 2017 toque. It wasn't really tbe point of tbe picture, but it has received some positive comments from family and friends. Who would have known? In my own way I am spreading tbe news for CMC 2018.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2017, 09:08:03 PM »
I sent a picture with me hiking with my CMC 2017 toque. It wasn't really tbe point of tbe picture, but it has received some positive comments from family and friends. Who would have known? In my own way I am spreading tbe news for CMC 2018.

Haha, awesome! The wearable swag is a neat opportunity to spread Mustachianism.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
As of an email I received today, we have a date for CMC2018. I shall announce it once I hear back from the folks I messaged today to sit on my "Organizational Committee."  I know you are all already standing by, but please continue to stand by.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »
As of an email I received today, we have a date for CMC2018. I shall announce it once I hear back from the folks I messaged today to sit on my "Organizational Committee."  I know you are all already standing by, but please continue to stand by.

Can I sit by? Lounge by, maybe?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »

Princess seat!  :)

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »

Princess seat!  :)

LOL, exactly!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »

What a tease.

I just made it home after my FIREcation. Time to decompress and catch up on the forums...tomorrow.

If I do go to CMC 2018, as a FIREd person I can definitely show up early to help. But I can't fully commit to 2018 yet and I don't like to go back on my word.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »
Please see Post 1 - updated with current information.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »
So... You`re saying I can`t just call dibs?

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2017, 07:47:29 AM »
may want to specify that price is CAD....assuming it is...

Not sure about next year...definitely not ruling it out. We shall see...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2017, 07:54:53 AM »
may want to specify that price is CAD....assuming it is...

Not sure about next year...definitely not ruling it out. We shall see...

Good point Andy - thanks, and done.

jordanread

« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »

How does the lottery work with couples?

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2017, 08:17:57 AM »
If you win a spot and later have a change of plans and can't go, what happens?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2017, 08:18:15 AM »

How does the lottery work with couples?

You apply for a couples spot. If your question is whether it diminishes your opportunity at getting a spot, the answer is not really since you can enter the lottery with your SO as your guest, and she can enter the lottery with you as her guest.

ie. 2 people get 2 entries.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:23:12 PM by Prospector »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2017, 09:00:36 AM »
I am sure I am not the only one who immediately realized how to gamify this situation and up their odds.

EDIT:  ...no? Just me?  :P  I'm sure there's a few of you that love loopholes that spotted it immediately.

Hint: Even if you're single, partner up with a forum friend wanting to attend. Suddenly you both are twice as likely to be able to attend as if you just applied for yourself.  Now the question becomes... how many people in a "family"?  50 foumers all applying for themselves + 49 guests, if any of the 50 is chosen, all get in?   ;)

(I'm tongue-in-cheek on this last part, of course, I'm sure it's capped at +1-3 or whatever, or actual family size.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:03:30 AM by arebelspy »

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2017, 09:03:20 AM »
Mustachians would never abuse loopholes..... Right? Just because you could make deals with others to add each other as guest.... Oh my.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!