Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto 2018-9-21 (CM*TO) - The Mustachians Strike Back  (Read 277128 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Canada 2018 - The Mustachians Strike Back
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2017, 07:36:59 AM »
Following, tentatively interested, no promises =)

Michalit20

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2017, 07:42:05 AM »
I can do real estate, that's what I typically do at CMSeattle (mainly cause they keep making me, but I've also done post-FIRE), but what I really want to do is a semi-ER breakout session.

I'm more and more convinced (one of the many semi-ER options) is the best path for most people, and I think I'd blow a lot of people's minds and literally change their FIRE plans.

Do you mean part-time work or a break from work for a specific period of time? Regardless, a session discussing the various options on the FIRE spectrum that are not the standard "all or nothing" approach would be fascinating to me.
I will be doing the latter in May 2018 (break from work to put my assumptions about life post-FIRE to an empirical test) but might need to come back to part time or full time work some time in the future to supplement my passive income.
All of this to say it's a great idea for a session :)

sean777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2017, 07:56:15 AM »
CMC 2017 was awesome, hopefully I'll be able to attend again next year.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2017, 08:08:21 AM »
I have been reading post-CMC impressions for a few days now....and to say that the event has been met with Universal Acclaim might be an understatement. There is definitely a feeling of having missed out on something special...and I know I'm not alone in feeling this. Not sure I want to be in this position next year.

Needless to say....PTF.

And Prosp....the thread title kicks ass. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2017, 08:11:10 AM »
Do you mean part-time work or a break from work for a specific period of time?

Yes and yes! Those are two of the many options I have in my notes on the presentation*.  :)

(*The only reason why I have notes is that I almost presented on this at CM4 this year, so I prepped for it, then ended up doing real estate, by popular demand, again; I let Prosps know I had it ready for potential use at CMC, but my presentation was cut. Maybe next time. :) )
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

oneyearfromnow

• Pencil Stache
  • a life-long frugalitarian
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2017, 08:18:54 AM »
Posting to follow! 

Very keen, will need dates though - in order to block the ever packed retirement calendar.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2017, 08:26:33 AM »
Following!

This is theoretically very doable for myself & +1 and it sounds like attendees had a blast this year, but I'm more of a forum-lurker than a people person.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »
Probably!
Will there be tim bits?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2017, 08:37:24 AM »
This is theoretically very doable for myself & +1 and it sounds like attendees had a blast this year, but I'm more of a forum-lurker than a people person.

There were quite a few lurkers, and from what I understand, they all very much enjoyed themselves as well... they're just not as likely to post about it. ;)

(Many of us, non-lurkers and lurkers, are not traditional "people persons.")  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2017, 08:52:49 AM »
That didn't stop a group of 30 or so of self-professed "Massive introverts" from singing Bohemian Rhapsody at the top of our lungs in a 40 ft. bell tower on a beautiful starry night...

Something about being around a ton of like minded individuals really brought people out of their shells. And it's not just the booze xD

gotchad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • gotchad
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2017, 08:59:02 AM »
I'm in for sure!

jordanread

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »
P2F, just so I don't miss out now that things are split between threads. I'm highly considering volunteering for a breakout session regarding vices, backtracks, and all the potential awful things that could happen.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2017, 09:24:13 AM »
P2F, just so I don't miss out now that things are split between threads. I'm highly considering volunteering for a breakout session regarding vices, backtracks, and all the potential awful things that could happen.

That'd be awesome!  I'd 100% want to attend that.

Though I'd have to work up the courage before sharing some of my own vices, backtracks, etc. Even if not feeling shame, per se, social stigma is still quite powerful. And some of it.. hoo.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
Another session I want to do at a future CM is a "Charity and Giving" session.

From my informal talks with people on this topic, I think there'd be a surprising amount of interest, both from the post-FIRE'd "What next?" crowd, and from people on the path struggling with ethical questions of helping others versus staching as much as possible.

(Former philosophy major, so ethics is one of my favorite topics, but the talk wouldn't center on the ethics, exactly, since everyone will be coming from a different place with different values on that. Some open/honest discussion around that though as well may benefit a lot of people; hearing other people's viewpoints can be eye-opening and change your own.)

I think throwing out a bunch of potential discussion ideas and having attendees vote on interest is a cool idea for some of the sessions.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »
I can do real estate, that's what I typically do at CMSeattle (mainly cause they keep making me, but I've also done post-FIRE), but what I really want to do is a semi-ER breakout session.

I'm more and more convinced (one of the many semi-ER options) is the best path for most people, and I think I'd blow a lot of people's minds and literally change their FIRE plans.

Well, if you run this next year, hopefully I'll have some downshift-job experience to share, alongside my downshift-parenting and downshift-volunteering stuff.  I guess semi-ER gives the opportunity to have a diverse focus.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »

Well, if you run this next year, hopefully I'll have some downshift-job experience to share, alongside my downshift-parenting and downshift-volunteering stuff.

Nice!  :D

I guess semi-ER gives the opportunity to have a diverse focus.

<3

Indeed, it is one of the best ways to get that, IMO. The true work-life balance.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »
I'd love to see a semi-ER.

I've switch my planning from full ER to downshifting, and it cut 5 years off full time, now it's 5 years of 40hrs a month. Almost no difference to the stash plan, since it can do most of the heavy lifting at this point all by itself.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2017, 10:04:43 AM »
I may or may not have floated some breakout ideas, though no obligation for Prospy to take any of them.

1) Budgeting, Expense Tracking and Lifestyle Balance- The hows, whys, and how-to.

The spending/Happiness lever and lie
The nature of low-hanging fruit/insidious spending creep
You Need a Budget™, Mint™, Excel™ and Pencil and Paper styles
Living "a month ahead", 'Envelopes', and other methods
Getting started, fast and easy
Advanced Techniques/visualization
Experiments to try

2) Learning to fix and build anything in the Information Age: The resources you didn't know you had

Topics to be covered:
Learning Styles: How to find what you need
The psychological barriers to self-teaching
Finding your Project
The Library- Thousands of dollars in value, and you've already paid for it
Lesser known resources/databases
Co-ops in your city and how they can help
Resources for: Car Repair,/maintenance computer repair/building/refurbishing, bike repair/building and house renovations

3) Sharing housing and splitting costs: Tips/tricks/tools

The Prisoner's Dilemma
Running the numbers
Expense splitting apps/tricks: Saving your life a click at a time
Discussions of priorities
Things Going Wrong, and why that's OK
Unexpected benefits

4) Booze For Free: Mustachian Homebrewing

Alcohol- "The Ancients Did This!"
The Tools
The Technique
Forage vs. Purchase
Brewing for every space/restriction
Live demonstration- Making 4L of grape cordial with $3 in tools

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2017, 10:07:35 AM »
A full year to convince the SO might be doable. Just need to make sure it isn't a weekend I'm in NZ.
Have me and okits over for tea. We will pretend to be normal for a few minutes to help convince him. Then you can usher us out of the house before we act too weird.

The SO is now on board with me attending. But you can still come over.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »
Those are great ideas, BCDJ!

I really believe that Mustachians, if told "we want presentation ideas and/or speakers" will come up with a whole host of ideas like this, much more than there is time for (because, honestly, the "free time" between sessions is crucial, and really shouldn't be reduced much, if at all). And then you run a few polls, choose the popular ones, and have an amazing session lineup.

IMO, getting rid of "keynote" stuff in favor of breakout sessions (so people have 3 options at all sessions) allows for more choice and more individualized learning.  Maybe one keynote (rather than 3). Not that the keynotes weren't good (they were all great!) but that those can still be run, but there can be other sessions during the same time, too.

The only problem will be there will be TOO MANY good sessions, and attendees will have to make hard choices. "I want to attend X and Y AND Z!"

This is a good problem. Having them face this choice should be the goal. :D

Like, if BCDJ's sessions were going on at the same time, I'd have a hard time deciding which to attend.

I'm already thinking how I'd tweak #2 for a session--I may steal that for a different CM (and focus it with a bigger emphasis around the how to learn part).  Love it. :D

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »
A full year to convince the SO might be doable. Just need to make sure it isn't a weekend I'm in NZ.
Have me and okits over for tea. We will pretend to be normal for a few minutes to help convince him. Then you can usher us out of the house before we act too weird.

The SO is now on board with me attending. But you can still come over.

Nice!  It was great meeting you at the Thursday meetup, I was bummed I couldn't talk more with you over the weekend. Next time!  :)

Frankieve

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »
Things we should have talked more about at CMC2017... AKA - if you submit a good abstract to run a breakout on these topics at CMC 2018, I'll pretty much guarantee a ticket:

- Real Estate buying/selling - capital strategies, buy-hold strategies, etc.
- The quality of life balance in budgeting
-

These topics are very much of interest for me! I would also like to see/attend a session around balancing social expectations and a mustachian lifestyle (i.e how to explain to coworkers why you're not ordering Greek take-out for lunch for the team building excercise; opting not to pitch in $100 into the wedding gift for a friend etc...)

I would even be willing to send you an abstract to do a session on making a side business with AirBnB. I've done it twice with my primary home this summer and made over 1K in two weekends. I plan on doing it a lot more next summer. The plan is to rent out our home every few weekends when we go do some family camping. I can also ad in there some info on RealEstate, I do own two properties and probably will own a third by CMC 2018.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »
So many awesome awesome ideas :) CMC2018 is going to be even more amazing than the first!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »
So many awesome awesome ideas :) CMC2018 is going to be even more amazing than the first!
Totally!

Several years ago, I was worried after the first camp mustache that year 2 wouldn't be as good. How could it be?!

Can you catch lightning in a bottle twice?

And it was even better.

Further camps, and CMC, has just reinforced that. It absolutely will be awesome!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2017, 11:04:08 AM »
Things we should have talked more about at CMC2017... AKA - if you submit a good abstract to run a breakout on these topics at CMC 2018, I'll pretty much guarantee a ticket:

-

These topics are very much of interest for me! I would also like to see/attend a session around balancing social expectations and a mustachian lifestyle (i.e how to explain to coworkers why you're not ordering Greek take-out for lunch for the team building excercise; opting not to pitch in $100 into the wedding gift for a friend etc...)

I could do something on that! I wrote a post a long time ago about keeping your fucks to yourself: socializing and networking on the cheap. Three years without drinking or eating out in NYC makes one pretty comfortable with that. Could be a mix of living cheaply in NYC (alternate housing, for ex, and how I spend $1k/ mo), and the psychology/social expectations aspect.

Also the charity/activism angle prosp mentioned, although my experience is in American politics.

I have experience with living with a non MMM partner, but I doubt people want to hear my solution of "break up and move out."

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »
I can talk to how to stealth turn your S/O towards the mustache-way... but it's not very romantic nor are most people as deviously attuned as I am!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2017, 11:37:25 AM »

-

I could do something on that! I wrote a post a long time ago about keeping your fucks to yourself: socializing and networking on the cheap. Three years without drinking or eating out in NYC makes one pretty comfortable with that. Could be a mix of living cheaply in NYC (alternate housing, for ex, and how I spend $1k/ mo), and the psychology/social expectations aspect.

Also the charity/activism angle prosp mentioned, although my experience is in American politics.

I have experience with living with a non MMM partner, but I doubt people want to hear my solution of "break up and move out."

I wonder if this one would be good for a small panel.  I could chime in about my experiences as well:  walking/biking to work for 19 years, buying fewer than 20 items of clothing in the last 5 years, etc.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »

-

I wonder if this one would be good for a small panel.  I could chime in about my experiences as well:  walking/biking to work for 19 years, buying fewer than 20 items of clothing in the last 5 years, etc.

Yeah! Someone from a big city, in a van, in a rural area...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »

Did he? I missed that, and probably just repeated him, above.

I definitely think this area is ripe for changing people's trajectories.

A few sessions like that (charity, semi-ER, ALC, post-FIRE, etc.) that change how people are even approaching life, and change the paths of their lives... that's the stuff I love.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2017, 12:23:20 PM »
PTF

We'll see where we are but it'd be fun to come back.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »
PTF

We have duct tape and a good idea of where you live. I believe you guys would fit in the trunk.  You WILL be coming back. You drank the Kool-Aid.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »
PTF

We have duct tape and a good idea of where you live. I believe you guys would fit in the trunk.  You WILL be coming back. You drank the Kool-Aid.

The Kool-Aid was excellent. And so was the volley-hockey-ball. Especially when Himself fell over the side of the rink and stuck his thumb up that he was ok.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »
PTF

The Kool-Aid was excellent. And so was the volley-hockey-ball. Especially when Himself fell over the side of the rink and stuck his thumb up that he was ok.

Himself was an excellent team captain.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
PTF

Himself was an excellent team captain.

Anyone who can keep up with Ali deserves credit!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »
Hey Chief - for you first international travel - were there any quirks you saw in Canada?

Not really, SW Ontario is very similar to the US.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »
I want me a golden ticket. PTF!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2017, 08:02:55 PM »
So, karaoke AND a secret forum. Why didn't anyone tell me this was going to be so cool?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »
So, karaoke AND a secret forum. Why didn't anyone tell me this was going to be so cool?

The karaoke came up about 2 days before the event, thanks to rubyunrailed. The secret forum doesn't work so well if you tell people about it.

You should have known it would be cool though. Did you see the list of attendees? :)

Would have been great to have you there! Next time!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2017, 08:13:10 PM »
Following as I've noticed these threads tend to include a LOT of really awesome topic ideas; regardless of my attendance :)

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2017, 08:14:47 PM »
Interested. Although Ontario is SO FAR AWAY and flights within Canada are SO EXPENSIVE. Guess I have a year to learn travel hacking. ;)

Also this reminds me of when I was a wee lass in the early days of the internet meeting up with internet strangers at ~*rAveS*~.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »
I'm covering the health and disability breakout. I wasn't ready to commit to it last year, and we couldn't convince anyone else. But it's a thing I'm ready to make happen. I think talking about doing this with a disability is a good way to look at how plans might adapt for any future health issues too

TNT

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2017, 08:41:09 PM »
PTF. I'm probably insane to even entertain the idea, but here I am, entertaining it.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2017, 08:52:30 PM »
Wow!! So many new joiners! As soon as I know something, you'll all know something. I should start up a spreadsheet and start tracking the madness eh?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2017, 09:16:59 PM »
CMC 2017 was a great way to start my FIRE up!

I am very interested in re-attending in 2018. It was so great to put a face and personality to my Internet friends. I even met some people that post a lot but for some reason I hadn't connected with before.

My favorite part was the free time to walk around and mingle with like minded people. It is very rare to find such a large group of people that have their act together, are successful enough to retire early, and love to enjoy life and not work all of the time.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2017, 09:18:18 PM »
I am totally in! And amazingly enough, DH said he'd like to come next year too :) :)

CMC2017 was an incredible weekend filled with fabulous people. I had several shy-attacks at the thought of meeting so many strangers but everyone was so warm and welcoming. I loved the energy in the air and all the support. I even got a facepunch one night by the campfire and must say, I was quite delighted. So much to chew on now post-CMC and I've been reflecting on it in my journal. My favourite part was how the entire group would clap when someone announced they were going to FIRE. How cult-like is that lol!

Prospector did an incredible job and I spent all weekend at awe at the level of ninja-planning skills displayed - in both big details and little details. His passion and energy played a massive role in the success of CMC. It was a really, really good mix of formal sessions by presenters and plenty of informal free time where we got to wander from group to group. We rarely felt rushed to move from one activity to another and there was soooo much time for lengthy in-depth conversations with fascinating people. There were no cliques and it was so nice for someone like me (I lurked for a long time and only started getting active in the last year or so and am still figuring out who is who) as I could just wander from group to group meeting different people.

I also really loved how Prospector set us up with a secret CMC forum. It was such a fantastic safe place to post more in-depth Introduction threads (that usually ended up turning into mini-journals lol). It also gave us a spot for pre and post CMC chatter - all of which helps us bond as a group. Oh and of course, a group of grown adults singing wacky camp songs about black socks at the top of their lungs still cracks me up. As for the International Canada vs World VolleyHockeyball Tournament (did I get that right?), all I can say is...Mustachians are good sports!

So excited for CMC2018!

I have a hard time believing you have shy attacks.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2017, 09:24:57 PM »
but what I really want to do is a semi-ER breakout session.

What are you considering Semi-ER? Like  specific age or some other criteria?

I suppose for the E part of it, age is somewhat relevant... less than 65? 60?  Whatever. I don't care so much about the "early" part of it, per se.

The Semi-R is the more interesting part (i.e. switching from full time work).

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »

The karaoke came up about 2 days before the event, thanks to rubyunrailed. The secret forum doesn't work so well if you tell people about it.

You should have known it would be cool though. Did you see the list of attendees? :)

Would have been great to have you there! Next time!

I did know it would be cool. I'm just especially sad to have missed out on bell tower karaoke and a batcave forum.

I knew it would be cool and fun and awesome because I had a great time at the first Camp Mustache, was that 2014?, when I didn't know a soul before going. CMC was full of people I have met in real life and know through journals and their awesomeness touches me daily. Alas, I'm couldn't make it to the inaugural CMC. Like you say, next time! :)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2017, 12:01:40 AM »
ptf, though Ontario may be tough for me in September.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2017, 07:39:27 AM »
Just got an email from Paul.

You won't believe how excited I was to see it in my inbox.

Subject line: "Camp Availability September 2018."

Who wants to know what it said???

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2017, 07:48:22 AM »
ME!!!!