Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto 2018-9-21 (CM*TO) - The Mustachians Strike Back  (Read 277146 times)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto 2018-9-21 (CM*TO) - The Mustachians Strike Back
« Reply #300 on: December 14, 2017, 08:01:56 AM »
Is the convict still channeling her inner Paul Hogan and claiming 32 vs 32 is a victory.

Cute.

not much else down there to distract her I guess....

Will the camp offer Tortiere? that distract any down under visitors and get them on about how aussie pies are the best...

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #301 on: December 14, 2017, 08:10:27 AM »
Curling is such a funny sport. There’s a club about five minutes away from my house.

Canadian here. Apparently, curling is generally an excuse to do *some* minor exercise while doing some major drinking. Bonspiels are essentially games interspersed with everyone buying rounds, and apparently the beer is cheaper than at the legion.

Cheaper than the legion, people.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #302 on: December 14, 2017, 08:19:53 AM »
Curling is such a funny sport. There’s a club about five minutes away from my house.

Canadian here. Apparently, curling is generally an excuse to do *some* minor exercise while doing some major drinking. Bonspiels are essentially games interspersed with everyone buying rounds, and apparently the beer is cheaper than at the legion.

SOLD! Great sport!

jordanread

« Reply #303 on: December 14, 2017, 08:42:27 AM »
For those wondering - the Org Committee will be meeting in the coming weeks to begin our journey toward CM*TO. If you have any broad directional suggestions to make, I suggest you PM them to me between now and then, and we can start to shape the look/feel of camp.

Way to be specific.
Quote from: Prospector's Statement interpreted by Jordan
At some point, people will meet to discuss things. Before that, do stuff, and send it to me. I hate you.

For those wondering - the Org Committee will be meeting in the coming weeks to begin our journey toward CM*TO. If you have any broad directional suggestions to make, I suggest you PM them to me between now and then, and we can start to shape the look/feel of camp.

I have received payment already for about 8 Canadians. Thanks very much for expediting your payments. I've been in touch with the venue and have the menu and pricing for camp this year, and everything looks like it is going to fit just right.

Those who have paid will be getting a link to the entry form in their inbox shortly. Upon completion of the survey you will get a link to the top-secret campers only forum where we will discuss such important planning details as whether the jumbo marshmallows really are better than standard sized ones.

Thanks to everyone who has paid already... and I'll post another update after our Org. Com. meeting.

Now back to cricket.

I am tempted to time the market. I'll wait for the exchange rate to drop.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #304 on: December 14, 2017, 08:54:33 AM »
Quote from: Prospector's Statement interpreted by Jordan
At some point, people will meet to discuss things. Before that, do stuff, and send it to me. I hate you.

LOL.

On point.

I heard that in Elzar's voice from this Futurama clip:
http://www.gotfuturama.com/Multimedia/EpisodeSounds/3ACV22/03.mp3
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #305 on: December 14, 2017, 09:00:13 AM »

Who goes to a legion? (sad since I'm military...)

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #306 on: December 14, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »
Curling sounds like bowling (in that its really just an excuse to do something mildly athletic while drinking with friends).

Canoeing after CMC was the same way :)

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #307 on: December 14, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »
Who goes to a legion? (sad since I'm military...)

I was reading a National Post article a few months ago discussing how people were taking the fact that many legions were becoming hipster sanctuaries, because the beer was the cheapest and the atmosphere the most 'real'. It was a real divider- the legions were generally happy for the extra income (not that many vets like the legion either) but the actual vets were occasionally somewhat pissed off they kept tripping over hipsters drinking PBR and 'ironically' playing darts.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: December 14, 2017, 09:56:03 AM »
Curling sounds like bowling (in that its really just an excuse to do something mildly athletic while drinking with friends).

You obviously weren't in a canoe with elaine amj.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #309 on: December 14, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »

But bowling is WAY less cold, and therefore the winner.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #310 on: December 14, 2017, 10:29:06 AM »
It is satisfactory - I have WON (remarks about convicts only happen when the opposition has mentally conceded).

I want to know why we are not talking about incorporating LACROSSE into Hockeyvolleyball, as it is SUPPOSEDLY the national game of Canada. I don't think we even have a national game. Does the USA?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #311 on: December 14, 2017, 10:36:49 AM »
It is satisfactory - I have WON (remarks about convicts only happen when the opposition has mentally conceded).

I want to know why we are not talking about incorporating LACROSSE into Hockeyvolleyball, as it is SUPPOSEDLY the national game of Canada. I don't think we even have a national game. Does the USA?

Cyber bullying.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #312 on: December 14, 2017, 10:47:44 AM »
So far the org com agenda includes:

• Why lacrosse is not part of VolleyHockeyBall
  • Whether or not Australia is superior in Cricket
  • A minor question on Curling
  • Who goes to the legion?
  • A menu request for tourtierre* from a British expat living in America

This meeting may not provide progress toward forming our camp, but it shall be interesting.

Note that my spell checker wants to correct this to "torturer" which may be funny, but nope. Also I am too lazy to look up the correct spelling.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #313 on: December 14, 2017, 10:49:40 AM »
I sent my money in today, through Zelle.  (I had never used Zelle before--so easy!!)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #314 on: December 14, 2017, 10:49:51 AM »

I started the convict remark ages ago to see if anyone was but as usual you guys were drowning yourselves out with your own voices!!

you'll all be yammering on about Castlemaine and how your prime ministers drown themselves next. yawn.

If Canada's nation game doesn't involve maple syrup I'll be sad.

Isn't Australia's national game yapping on about how great they are at sport?  Football anyone?

Britain just invents all the games in order to be beaten at them by others who take it seriously.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: December 14, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
i]

Note that my spell checker wants to correct this to "torturer" which may be funny, but nope. Also I am too lazy to look up the correct spelling.

of course its torturer. I requested it for an Aussie.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #316 on: December 14, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »
So far the org com agenda includes:

• Why lacrosse is not part of VolleyHockeyBall
  • Whether or not Australia is superior in Cricket
  • A minor question on Curling

This meeting may not provide progress toward forming our camp, but it shall be interesting.

Can you add "What is the legion"?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #317 on: December 14, 2017, 10:55:25 AM »

Cyber bullying.

Frying things.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #318 on: December 14, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »

Cyber bullying.
I suspect that only one person partakes of this, so it isn't a game.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2017, 12:05:29 PM »

you'll all be yammering on about Castlemaine and how your prime ministers drown themselves next. yawn.

Britain just invents all the games in order to be beaten at them by others who take it seriously.

What about Castlemaine? You've lost me.

We have only had one prime minister get lost (he may have drowned, but the CIA may have kidnapped him). I wasn't going to mention him for another couple of days.

And Britain is exceedingly good at inventing games that everyone else trounces them at. The trouble is that they, also, seem to take their losses seriously.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:08:59 PM by deborah »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: December 14, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »
We should be on skates for VolleyHockeyBall.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: December 14, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »

You obviously weren't in a canoe with elaine amj.

Elaine, you know I am just teasing you.

Thanks to your efforts, I was in good enough paddling shape to paddle 24 miles through the Everglades this weekend.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #322 on: December 14, 2017, 02:20:07 PM »

Cyber bullying.

I legit LOL'd.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #323 on: December 14, 2017, 03:14:56 PM »

What about Castlemaine? You've lost me.

We have only had one prime minister get lost (he may have drowned, but the CIA may have kidnapped him). I wasn't going to mention him for another couple of days.

And Britain is exceedingly good at inventing games that everyone else trounces them at. The trouble is that they, also, seem to take their losses seriously.

we invent all the games and give them away. other people specialize and then beat us. And then theres an element in every crowd that insists that as we invented THAT game (THEIR game) we should be the best in the world at it ever plus ready to take everyone on when galaxy quest happens. pah.

Plus I'm good with blaming the CIA.

I do believe that some of the locals are trying to incorporate cricket into the camp sports. I guess they don't understand that the true competition is the drinking and bashing each other. Running around hitting and chasing things? whatevs!!! newbies!

We can drink and watch them. and offer "help" to them!!!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #324 on: December 14, 2017, 04:04:11 PM »
I feel like that tourtierre word is missing some accents. Maybe both forward and backward!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #325 on: December 14, 2017, 05:41:49 PM »
Tourtière is pie crust and meat... it's kinda dull. Unless you're in Lac St-Jean, where you must put atleast 4 different animals in it.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #326 on: December 14, 2017, 09:23:33 PM »
Tourtière is pie crust and meat... it's kinda dull. Unless you're in Lac St-Jean, where you must put atleast 4 different animals in it.

I love tourtière, especially when you can taste the lard in the crust.  Hearty fare.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2017, 05:33:41 AM »

I think the recipe in our cookbook includes Pork, beef, venison and ... duck? rabbit?  I forget. I know there are at least two things that we would have to go out and catch in the wild. Which is why we have never prepared that recipe.

I have an alternate recipe from St. Hubert Chicken though that goes like this:

- preheat oven to 400°F
- remove frozen pie from wrapping.
- place on middle rack for 35 minutes.
- serve

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2017, 10:04:43 AM »
I recommend the mexican version. (paté de viande mexicain) It has other things, so you don't only have a plain meat and crust taste.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2017, 11:22:52 AM »
I looked it up - 1st thought was turducken pie.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2017, 11:31:16 AM »
@deborah
If anyone ^^^^ up there ^^^ offers you a meat pie I'd suggest you turn it down.

I'm speaking from experience of living in North America.
Lovely people, I'm sure, but clueless when it comes to pies.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2017, 11:33:31 AM »
Hey! we didn't murder 3-4 different animals to have people pass on our pies.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2017, 11:52:49 AM »

you were saying about other people and their pies - not your pies. I'm trying to save  Deborah here, not subject her to the experimentation of a wanna be butcher and collector of road kill.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2017, 11:57:56 AM »

you were saying about other people and their pies - not your pies. I'm trying to save  Deborah here, not subject her to the experimentation of a wanna be butcher and collector of road kill.

All meat pies. Including mine. But where are there better meat pies?

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2017, 12:56:55 PM »

Britain and Australia for a start.
Thats our gift to them - pies and sport. Its all about the culture.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2017, 01:36:10 PM »

Britain and Australia for a start.
Thats our gift to them - pies and sport. Its all about the culture.
It is a culinary delight that Australia is KNOWN for. If you are in the middle of nowhere, and you pull up at the only habitation in 500km (a petrol (gas) station with a campground attached - a roadhouse), you will be able to buy a meat pie - you may even have a choice of flavours. Fruit pies are less available.

Meat pies are also smallish (about 6"). They are made for eating at the footie (football game) with one hand.

This one is on the small side, but gives you the idea (it seems to have come from Canada, so I'm not sure that it's really a meat pie, but it was the only one I could find with a hand, and there are places in Canada that make Australian meat pies). England has other meat pies (like raised pork pies) as well.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »
On my screen it seems hella-big!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #337 on: December 15, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »
On my screen it seems hella-big!
Yes, it did come up big, but it gives you an appreciation of the flaky pastry on top, the fact that pies tend to be made with two types of pastry, what they look like when properly cooked...

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #338 on: December 15, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »
sunhat how fatty in the mince (we call ground meat mince here)? We can get heart-smart mince, low fat mince, or regular (mince without a meat type is beef). Similarly with pork mince.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: December 15, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »
It is a culinary delight that Australia is KNOWN for. If you are in the middle of nowhere, and you pull up at the only habitation in 500km (a petrol (gas) station with a campground attached - a roadhouse), you will be able to buy a meat pie - you may even have a choice of flavours. Fruit pies are less available.

The same can be said for sticky date pudding. I had that dessert EVERY DAY during my 3 week vacation in Australia after accidentally finding it on day #1 of the trip.

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #340 on: December 15, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »
The same can be said for sticky date pudding. I had that dessert EVERY DAY during my 3 week vacation in Australia after accidentally finding it on day #1 of the trip.

Ohhhh, this explains why I haven't seen sticky date pudding since leaving Australia! It's one of my favourite desserts. I would totally have it every day in your situation. I do have an excellent recipe for it stashed away somewhere, I should dig it up for you!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #341 on: December 15, 2017, 09:37:19 PM »

Ohhhh, this explains why I haven't seen sticky date pudding since leaving Australia! It's one of my favourite desserts. I would totally have it every day in your situation. I do have an excellent recipe for it stashed away somewhere, I should dig it up for you!

Yes please!

I tried finding a recipe online to reproduce it for me and my travel mates after returning to the US. They "said" it was good, but I know they were lying and were just saying it because it was the closest thing we had tasted to sticky date pudding since we left Australia. They were trying to encourage me, but I know it wasn't the real thing.

We still talk about sticky date pudding among my friends at almost every meetup we have! (I may be exaggerating)

I found that the equivalent dessert in the UK is sticky toffee pudding. I had that quite a bit on a subsequent trip to London. But we will always have Australian sticky date pudding as the bar that any dessert has to surpass. It has been nearly impossible to fulfill this requirement.

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #342 on: December 15, 2017, 09:58:02 PM »
This is it! the butterscotch sauce is amazing, I think I could just make a double batch of that and eat it for dessert. This is the only recipe I've ever tried so I can't vouch for how it compares to others, but I loved it!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #343 on: December 16, 2017, 04:36:13 AM »

According to wikipedia...

In the 134 years since 1883, Australia have held the Ashes for approximately 78.5 years, and England for 55.5 years.

32 wins each.

your moral high ground here is based on not winning it.

stooping low.

(although its looking like it might be 33 vs 32 soon..)
Definitely looking like 33 vs 32 soon. Maybe even tomorrow. 4-549, a record fifth wicket partnership! It will probably be a draw. It's going to rain.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #344 on: December 16, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »
I feel so bad for someone who signed up for the CM*TO lottery as a non-regular and won, and is reading this thread eight months from now, through all this ashes cricket meat pie stuff trying to get info for CM*TO (and the thread will undoubtedly be many, many more pages by then).

:D

(RIP the concept of "on topic"?)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #345 on: December 16, 2017, 10:16:29 AM »
I feel so bad for someone who signed up for the CM*TO lottery as a non-regular and won, and is reading this thread eight months from now, through all this ashes cricket meat pie stuff trying to get info for CM*TO (and the thread will undoubtedly be many, many more pages by then).

:D

(RIP the concept of "on topic"?)

It's probably better this way -- at least now they know what they're getting themselves into... ;-).

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #346 on: December 16, 2017, 10:24:07 AM »
This is it! the butterscotch sauce is amazing, I think I could just make a double batch of that and eat it for dessert. This is the only recipe I've ever tried so I can't vouch for how it compares to others, but I loved it!

Thanks!

OK no more off topic sticky date pudding discussions here. ;-)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #347 on: December 16, 2017, 10:32:44 AM »
I already have payment from over 10% of camp attendees - and that's only payments from Canada. No idea how many Americans have paid through our US payment system but I should start hearing soon.

Thanks to all the folks who are taking care of business early on. It makes things so much easier for us!

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #348 on: December 16, 2017, 12:33:31 PM »

Thanks!

OK no more off topic sticky date pudding discussions here. ;-)

Oh, but that looks sooooo good...i am way too lazy to make it. But maybe i'll fly to Australia to try it...

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #349 on: December 16, 2017, 12:35:35 PM »
I already have payment from over 10% of camp attendees - and that's only payments from Canada. No idea how many Americans have paid through our US payment system but I should start hearing soon.

Thanks to all the folks who are taking care of business early on. It makes things so much easier for us!

I paid through Zelle a few days ago.  I hope the $$ got through to the other side!

(I mentioned this upthread, but I think my post got buried in the cricket/pie confab.  ;-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!