Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347979 times)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #1100 on: June 24, 2017, 10:24:29 PM »
We found flying to Buffalo advantageous in the past because we specifically wanted to fly Southwest (companion pass, lots of SW points, and relatively pet friendly compared to other airlines).

And if u go through Buffalo, u can see Niagara Falls...which is definitely cool. Some great hiking in the gorge too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #1101 on: June 24, 2017, 10:32:59 PM »
Well apparently dw and I will be flying into Philadelphia and I am getting a bus from there somehow..

DW will be spending a few days with Mumsie and then they are driving up to pick me up from CMC on the Sunday.

I have not looked at any of this so I'm going on faith here..:)

Megabus seems to go Philadelphia to Toronto. It will be a long bus ride, but I've done an overnight on Mega Bus before and it's relatively comfortable (though I like busrides), and they are supposed to have Wifi on board. Megabus is different (no dedicated bus terminals, etc), but If you plan in advance, it's possible to get $1 tickets apparently.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1102 on: June 25, 2017, 08:00:39 AM »
Well apparently dw and I will be flying into Philadelphia and I am getting a bus from there somehow..

DW will be spending a few days with Mumsie and then they are driving up to pick me up from CMC on the Sunday.

I have not looked at any of this so I'm going on faith here..:)

Megabus seems to go Philadelphia to Toronto. It will be a long bus ride, but I've done an overnight on Mega Bus before and it's relatively comfortable (though I like busrides), and they are supposed to have Wifi on board. Megabus is different (no dedicated bus terminals, etc), but If you plan in advance, it's possible to get $1 tickets apparently.

I have only done Megabus from DC to NyC and was pleased. Great price and comfortable ride. I lined up early (u can also reserve seats), and got front row top level seats which gave me room to stretch my legs. In the bus I was in, also no one behind me so no one kicking my seat. Wifi was fine.

I would do the Philly to Toronto route. Or Philly to Buffalo if the timing works out to carpool from Buffalo to camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1103 on: June 25, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Thanks all.. Well the Philly thing didn't quite work out so I am looking at flying direct to Buff or Toronto. Flights are running $350 to 375 for either destination with the preference being Buffalo. This assumes flying in on 19th and out on Mon 23rd..

Anybody got a carpooling spot I can join and when where so I can book the appropriate flight/spend night in hotel etc.

Thanks

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1104 on: June 25, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
Anyone flying into Toronto, I can give public transit directions to ride pick ups. So far I don't see any offers in the ride thread from Buffalo, although I know that private carpools have been set up

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1105 on: June 27, 2017, 10:01:50 PM »
I am just now trying to catch up on the comings and goings of CMC.

Ideally I'd turn this into a 2 week vacation (assuming not FIREd by this time, or longer if FIREd) and see Toronto  (never been), Montreal (have been but would nice to revisit), maybe some Canadian national parks, Niagara Falls and as a stretch goal the NY Finger Lakes.

If such a grand journey is planned, I would probably fly into Montreal or Toronto and fly back home out of Buffalo or Syracuse (or vice versa). Hopefully I can carpool with some CMCers along the way.

I really need to start planning this thing!

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
Ride from Ottawa
« Reply #1106 on: July 04, 2017, 09:21:30 PM »
If anyone's coming from Ottawa, I can offer a ride to/from CMC 2017. I've only got room for 2 people though, and not a ton of luggage. Car's a 1999 Chevrolet Metro xD

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #1107 on: July 04, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
following

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1108 on: July 04, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
Nice to have more interest!!

We've already sold out for this year, but if folks want to go on the standby list, please see post 1.

<EDIT>
Thanks for your email Thrifty - you are on the waitlist.

I want to take a minute here to say how amazed I am at this community. As far as I know, this will be the first Camp Mustache outside the USA, and the first entirely filled through the forum. I capped our bunks at about 65, and in those bunks will be people from every region of the USA (Literally Coast to coast - Massachusetts to California, Florida to Michigan), From NWT, Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, and BC, and from Europe (Sweden) and Australia. All coming to Podunk-ville Canada out of a common love of the community, and what it represents.

A big Bravo-Zulu to everyone here who reaches out and reaches up. Y'all's all right.
</EDIT>
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:29:20 PM by Prospector »

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1109 on: July 04, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »

We've already sold out for this year, but if folks want to go on the standby list, please see post 1.

<EDIT>

I want to take a minute here to say how amazed I am at this community. As far as I know, this will be the first Camp Mustache outside the USA, and the first entirely filled through the forum. I capped our bunks at about 65, and in those bunks will be people from every region of the USA (Literally Coast to coast - Massachusetts to California, Florida to Michigan), From NWT, Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, and BC, and from Europe (Sweden) and Australia. All coming to Podunk-ville Canada out of a common love of the community, and what it represents.

A big Bravo-Zulu to everyone here who reaches out and reaches up. Y'all's all right.
</EDIT>

What can we say, Prospector.  You have GLOBALLY aroused in others an eager want.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1110 on: July 04, 2017, 11:41:12 PM »

<EDIT>

</EDIT>

What can we say, Prospector.  You have GLOBALLY aroused in others an eager want.

I don't think you're ever going to live down that phrasing, Prost.  We're all going to be going to CMC #34, and we're still going to be needling you while you keep turning down your hearing aids and yelling, "What?  I can't hear you," over and over.

eirual

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1111 on: July 23, 2017, 01:31:08 PM »
Hello from Facebook Land!

I've never had much luck on these forums, but will try harder knowing you're all here (yay)!

Will there be any day passes for those not wishing to stay the night?

~Laurie :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1112 on: July 25, 2017, 02:14:21 AM »

Prospector may change this, but Camp Mustache events traditionally don't do day passes, because it's really quite a bonding weekend; it makes a big difference to spend several days with everyone than just popping in for a short period.  It's a bummer for locals who are then paying for lodging they wouldn't otherwise need, but it tends to create a much more cohesive and enjoyable camp for all attendees.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #1113 on: July 25, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I sell Emergency Medical (and other) travel insurance for people visiting Canada.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1114 on: July 25, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I sell Emergency Medical (and other) travel insurance for people visiting Canada.

Tell me more, KMMK. Under what circumstances would we need it?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1115 on: July 25, 2017, 05:25:55 PM »

Twice I've had times when it would have been good to have... Once when I reacted poorly to food in Cuba and spent a week with Cuba-butt instead of going to teh resort's clinic, and once when Chuck fell and broke her leg while we were vacationing on our boat - luckily that time we were in Canada, but the water taxi, hotels, etc. we had to use while she was treated weren't covered. Our credit cards now carry medical coverage as long as we booked a portion of the trip using them - check the card you booked your flight with.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1116 on: July 25, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »

Twice I've had times when it would have been good to have... Once when I reacted poorly to food in Cuba and spent a week with Cuba-butt instead of going to teh resort's clinic, and once when Chuck fell and broke her leg while we were vacationing on our boat - luckily that time we were in Canada, but the water taxi, hotels, etc. we had to use while she was treated weren't covered. Our credit cards now carry medical coverage as long as we booked a portion of the trip using them - check the card you booked your flight with.

We are driving.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1117 on: July 25, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
Canoes and hay rides are dangerous. Not to mention the bears and poisonous snakes.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1118 on: July 25, 2017, 07:37:56 PM »
If any bears or poisonous snakes make it to CMC, I will be so heartily impressed that I may invite them to sit by me at the campfire.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1119 on: July 25, 2017, 07:49:23 PM »
If any bears or poisonous snakes make it to CMC, I will be so heartily impressed that I may invite them to sit by me at the campfire.

Bears love s'mores!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1120 on: July 25, 2017, 07:55:23 PM »
I have finally worked out what s'mores are. They look good. We don't have graham crackers. I'll wait to visit North America and try them there.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1121 on: July 25, 2017, 07:59:56 PM »
I have finally worked out what s'mores are. They look good. We don't have graham crackers. I'll wait to visit North America and try them there.

They are very, very sweet.  Adult versions can be made with darker chocolate. 

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #1122 on: July 25, 2017, 10:12:33 PM »

It's for if you have a medical emergency and have to go to a clinic or hospital, or need an ambulance. You'd have to pay totally out of pocket.

Certainly it's much more of a concern for Canadians travelling to the USA than vice versa, as our costs are much lower. But still, you can't predict if something will go terribly wrong.

I have no idea how US insurance works; maybe you already have out of country coverage. As mentioned, often people here have some coverage from a credit card. But it can be quite limited. So you (in the general sense) should compare it to a privately purchased individual policy.

You being FI, you might be interested in a policy with a high deductible, as you're probably most concerned about catastrophic emergencies. You save some money that way.

There are some limitations re: pre-existing conditions and such, of course. I have the full details if needed, of course.

Anyhow, I'm sure you can get the same thing in the US, but figured I'd mention it in case anyone wants to give business to a forum member.

For a price example, I quoted two 65 year olds, $200,000 limit, $2,500 deductible (each) X 7 days = $118.
Cheaper of course for any younger people who may be interested.

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #1123 on: July 31, 2017, 01:42:40 PM »

Prospector may change this, but Camp Mustache events traditionally don't do day passes, because it's really quite a bonding weekend; it makes a big difference to spend several days with everyone than just popping in for a short period.  It's a bummer for locals who are then paying for lodging they wouldn't otherwise need, but it tends to create a much more cohesive and enjoyable camp for all attendees.  :)

Agreed.  I like the idea of hanging out and bonding with like-minded people for a 'full' weekend.
And besides, it's a super cheap event (including lodging).

I live close enough to camp that I could theoretically drive home at the end of each day and sleep in my own bed. 
But, why would I.  ;)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1124 on: August 26, 2017, 09:37:27 PM »
Hi all,

I have not seen any movement so I thought I would point out there is a single ticket (mine) for sale for whoever is at the top of the waitlist.

Mr Prospector tells me he will "post it" but I don't see where that is.. Anyway, if you know you're at the top of the waitlist then you need to claim it.. Oh and send me a check for $180 US of course..:)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1125 on: September 03, 2017, 07:08:59 AM »
Hey Fly - I'm just back from a week on the trail. It was a great getaway. The waitlist will be accessed today. I think 4 bunks came up for resale while I was away. If folks want to attend, the waitlist will be updated today, and available bunks announced.

jordanread

« Reply #1126 on: September 06, 2017, 12:43:42 PM »
Do we have an ongoing list of folks who are actually going?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1127 on: September 06, 2017, 01:15:19 PM »

I do.

"we" do not.

jordanread

« Reply #1128 on: September 07, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »

I do.

"we" do not.

How very fancy. :) What about locking the intro posts if the person isn't going to show up? It's more idle curiousity on my part, but efb and js not going has me all very confused as to who I'll be meeting.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1129 on: September 07, 2017, 09:40:50 AM »

I do.

"we" do not.

How very fancy. :) What about locking the intro posts if the person isn't going to show up? It's more idle curiousity on my part, but efb and js not going has me all very confused as to who I'll be meeting.

You'll meet me. Does anything else matter? (Internet Narcissist much.) Yeah, locking the threads is a good idea.

Since this is in the public forum, half the people reading this don't know what you are talking about.

jordanread

« Reply #1130 on: September 07, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »

I do.

"we" do not.

You'll meet me. Does anything else matter? (Internet Narcissist much.) Yeah, locking the threads is a good idea.

Since this is in the public forum, half the people reading this don't know what you are talking about.

The only other thing that matters is the chest bump. And I totally forgot this thread was in the main forum. :)

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1131 on: October 01, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »
I see there are currently two tickets available (see first post for details).  Who out there wants to join us but thought they missed out?  Now's your chance!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1132 on: October 09, 2017, 10:21:01 AM »
Both tickets in Cherry Lane's post have been sold... back to a sold out event!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1133 on: October 10, 2017, 07:48:20 AM »
Both tickets in Cherry Lane's post have been sold... back to a sold out event!

That is so awesome!!!!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1134 on: October 17, 2017, 08:50:06 AM »
Hi prosp - when will the final presentation be on Sunday?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1135 on: October 17, 2017, 09:05:32 AM »

Final schedule says:
09:30 – 10:30 Axecleaver – Startups, Small Business, and Professional Careers
11:00 – 12:00 Closing – “The Quickfire Question Round”
12:00 – 13:00 Lunch
13:30 – 16:00 Canoe Trip

So depends if you count Axe's or the quickfire question round as the "final presentation".
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1136 on: October 17, 2017, 09:13:59 AM »

Final schedule says:
09:30 – 10:30 Axecleaver – Startups, Small Business, and Professional Careers
11:00 – 12:00 Closing – “The Quickfire Question Round”
12:00 – 13:00 Lunch
13:30 – 16:00 Canoe Trip

So depends if you count Axe's or the quickfire question round as the "final presentation".

My name is Prospector and I endorse this message.

(As a presenter, you will be invited to field questions in the QF round. If you have to leave early, it means your adoring fans will have unanswered queries.)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1137 on: October 17, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »
Thank you prosp and deputy prosp.

My Sunday ride to the airport is leaving fairly early, which I was not prepared for. Maybe I'll just stay Sunday night, leave Monday, and hope there's room for me in one of the carpool groups.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1138 on: October 17, 2017, 02:45:11 PM »
(As a presenter, you will be invited to field questions in the QF round. If you have to leave early, it means your adoring fans will have unanswered queries.)

Are only presenters doing the lightning round? Also are you splitting it in groups, not doing it whole-group? Do you have sticky/post-it notes packed for CMC for lightning round purposes?  :)

I'm super excited about the lightning round, I was thinking of starting a thread on it.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1139 on: October 17, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »

Are only presenters doing the lightning round? Also are you splitting it in groups, not doing it whole-group? Do you have sticky/post-it notes packed for CMC for lightning round purposes?  :)

I'm super excited about the lightning round, I was thinking of starting a thread on it.

Yes I have post-it pads.

How can you start a question thread before the presentations have even happened? The whole idea for this round is that the questions that were unanswered have a chance after the clock has run out on the session.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1140 on: October 17, 2017, 04:58:14 PM »
Ohhh I can Kanban my presentation.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1141 on: October 17, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »

But not that many post-it pads.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1142 on: October 17, 2017, 05:00:25 PM »
Hey Everyone, poor Deb can read the forums, but she can't post.

I think now would be a good time for everyone to say Hi to her.

Hi Deborah. Hope you're having a fine evening.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1143 on: October 17, 2017, 05:24:37 PM »
See you soon, Deborah!  I hope you are having fun in the days leading up to CMC.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1144 on: October 17, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »
Hi Deborah! I've been thinking about you and hope all your travels went well so far. How is the poutine? Is Prospy apologizing as often as you expected? And saying eh?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1145 on: October 17, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »

But not that many post-it pads.

I'll bring some.

Hi deborah! Looking forward to meeting you and your pet drop bear.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1146 on: October 17, 2017, 07:10:01 PM »

Yes I have post-it pads.

How can you start a question thread before the presentations have even happened? The whole idea for this round is that the questions that were unanswered have a chance after the clock has run out on the session.

The thread would be explaining the lightning round and getting people hyped about it.

The post-its would be for jotting questions and putting them on the big board post-presentation, but pre-lightning round, for sorting into groups and having presenters see some ahead of time (and allow people to get them down as they think of them, before they forget).

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1147 on: October 18, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »
Hi Deborah...only a couple more days and you can answer all our endless questions in person :)

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #1148 on: October 18, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
I just realized this week that our flight is going to have us coming in well after registration...don't wait up for us!  We'll catch up!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1149 on: October 18, 2017, 12:37:27 PM »
I just realized this week that our flight is going to have us coming in well after registration...don't wait up for us!  We'll catch up!

Cheapskate wife, how late is your flight? If you talk to toronto.poutine, you might be able to do her a huge favour