Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347873 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #950 on: March 01, 2017, 01:50:21 PM »
I thought Kriegsy was coming?

Someone should confirm this. Who wants to read back through the thread and check?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #951 on: March 01, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
I sent him a PM.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #952 on: March 01, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »
I'm glad you're coming, CheapskateWife!  :D

So awesome we're gonna fill this with forum folks.  Random Mustachians Pete tweets at is cool, too, but this will be much more familiar/social.  Fun!

Someone should confirm this. Who wants to read back through the thread and check?

I thought he was too; has he not booked a ticket?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #953 on: March 01, 2017, 02:42:55 PM »
I'm glad you're coming, CheapskateWife!  :D

So awesome we're gonna fill this with forum folks.  Random Mustachians Pete tweets at is cool, too, but this will be much more familiar/social.  Fun!

I thought he was too; has he not booked a ticket?

My #1 policy is that I will not out whether anyone has bought a ticket or not. Some folks would like to keep their attendance quiet for privacy reasons.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #954 on: March 01, 2017, 02:53:11 PM »
Mrs Axe and I will be attending. I will present the second session on Friday. Preparing presentation on How to Start Your Services Business. I grew my consulting practice to 954k in revenue over three years.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #955 on: March 01, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »
I sent him a PM.

pbk, the one person who wants Kriegs there more than I do. ;)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #956 on: March 01, 2017, 03:17:37 PM »
I sent him a PM.

pbk, the one person who wants Kriegs there more than I do. ;)

So true. I am, however, developing a fondness for Ice Beard.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #957 on: March 01, 2017, 03:20:38 PM »
Prosp, axe just outed himself as a speaker. To save time, do you want me to quote his post and call it a speaker intro?

Also, I'm not done being overwhelmed by reading the number 12000 yesterday, and now people are throwing numbers like 954k around. I think we should have ARS set up a meditation corner that we can each retreat to when giant numbers freak us out.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #958 on: March 01, 2017, 03:29:53 PM »
I may be flying solo...but I'm coming!

Are you flying or biking? Seems like a long way to go on your MS ride!
Its a 1600 mile trip from door to door...if I'm going to ride, best to go ahead and start now.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #959 on: March 01, 2017, 03:39:38 PM »
Yay CSW! Another friend I can't wait to meet!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #960 on: March 01, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »
Prosp, axe just outed himself as a speaker. To save time, do you want me to quote his post and call it a speaker intro?

Also, I'm not done being overwhelmed by reading the number 12000 yesterday, and now people are throwing numbers like 954k around. I think we should have ARS set up a meditation corner that we can each retreat to when giant numbers freak us out.

I think we need a presenter to tell us now "Not to do anything more than precisely buggar all for months at a time, feel happy about it and definitely NOT go round disturbing the peace by making $94k"...:)

This might be a "POST FI" forum.. hahahah

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #961 on: March 01, 2017, 04:07:03 PM »

I think we need a presenter to tell us now "Not to do anything more than precisely buggar all for months at a time, feel happy about it and definitely NOT go round disturbing the peace by making $94k"...:)

I might be most qualified for this topic 😄

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #962 on: March 01, 2017, 05:06:16 PM »
That's just a revenue number, it's a lot lower once I get done paying all my employees and expenses. And 2017 is off to a crappy start for me!

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #963 on: March 01, 2017, 05:48:19 PM »
That's just a revenue number, it's a lot lower once I get done paying all my employees and expenses. And 2017 is off to a crappy start for me!
Hey, that will just make for a better, more relatable presentation: how to overcome setbacks.

I can't say I have interest in starting a business, but I'm very much looking forward to the presentation...I thoroughly enjoy your journal.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #964 on: March 01, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »
<3 I am dearly going to miss meeting you all, but I don't think I can swing the vacation stich in October. I counted out all my planned days off, and I only have 2 for wiggle room. This would leave me with zero wiggle room, which is just cutting it too close. 
I hope you all have a blast, though, and I will be 110% envious of you cool kids having fun!
:3

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #965 on: March 01, 2017, 06:45:31 PM »
<3 I am dearly going to miss meeting you all, but I don't think I can swing the vacation stich in October. I counted out all my planned days off, and I only have 2 for wiggle room. This would leave me with zero wiggle room, which is just cutting it too close. 
I hope you all have a blast, though, and I will be 110% envious of you cool kids having fun!

SKYPE NIGHT!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #966 on: March 01, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »

SKYPE NIGHT!
YES!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #967 on: March 01, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »

I might be most qualified for this topic 😄
I think I'd have you beat on this ;-).

Ah yes, but you'd have to show up. Shall I dog sit for you for an hour or so? I have experience with terriers - they can provide references.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #968 on: March 01, 2017, 07:39:33 PM »
CMC Speaker Intro:

Monkey Jenga as the Angry Life Cheerleader

Who the hell am I? I don't deserve to present anything at Camp Mustache Canada.

EXCEPT FOR THAT I'M AWESOME.

And guess what? SO ARE YOU.

As Angry Life Cheerleader, I lovingly yell at people who are afraid to do things. You can do the thing! And if you can't, it's the thing's fault!

These things that you can do include:
  • Apply for a job even if you don't meet every preferred qualification.
  • Ask for a raise even if you haven't personally saved your boss's kitten from a treehouse fire.
  • Talk your way into a job even if you don't meet the required qualifications. [SEE: Me and every office job I've ever had.]
  • Get your overbearing coworker to stop talking over you in meetings.
  • SKY-DIVING???
Angry Life Cheerleading is proven to be effective. People who allow themselves to be angry-cheerleaded end up with more money, better work-balance, and a 100% increase in happiness*.

*NOTE: Happiness quantified by easily faked observational analysis.

I'm not only the Angry Life Cheerleader president. I'm also a client. I overcame my own perfectionism and Imposter Syndrome that had kept me overworked and underpaid. Without a college degree, I worked my way up from temp jobs to a six-figure salary in only five years. It could have happened a lot more quickly, and with a lot less stress, if I knew then what I know now.

That is: your competition isn't as good as you think, and everybody else thinks you're awesome. Just freaking accept it already. Now go and tell your boss exactly why you deserve more money (AND MAYBE FREE SKY-DIVING LESSONS???).

Join us for a high-energy group cheerleading session to break through barriers and maximize life choices and savings. We'll focus on individual goals and learn how to be our own Angry Life Cheerleaders, in the loudest, excitingest, and cheeringest session of Camp Mustache Canada.

Pom-poms optional, but encouraged.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:49:37 PM by Prospector »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #969 on: March 01, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
I just had a thought.. With no driving to do I could be ever so slightly intoxicated!

I'm happy to do a presentation on sky diving or flying aerobatics.. The stories get more impressive when fueled with alcohol..:)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #970 on: March 01, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »
I'll pm you tomorrow exflyboy... ARS and I were talking yesterday and this could fall nicely into what we were considering.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #971 on: March 01, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »
I really want that giant numbers freakout meditation corner.

jordanread

« Reply #972 on: March 01, 2017, 09:42:48 PM »
That was a super entertaining Speaker Intro. Although now I keep hearing about how nice she is due to the Seattle meetup. NICE LIFE CHEERLEADER? Doesn't have the same ring.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #973 on: March 02, 2017, 04:52:27 AM »

I wish had the sort of huge numbers that sent people scurrying to meditation corners.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #974 on: March 02, 2017, 06:02:35 AM »

I wish had the sort of huge numbers that sent people scurrying to meditation corners.

Negative numbers do the same thing! Many paths....

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #975 on: March 02, 2017, 07:53:30 AM »
We are filling up so insanely fast my head is spinning! This. is. awesome.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #976 on: March 02, 2017, 08:31:06 AM »
We are filling up so insanely fast my head is spinning! This. is. awesome.

Two spots remain. Two. And the only reason those are up for grabs is because we've decided to send teh boys to grandma's house rather than have them be the only kids at CMC.

After these spots are gone your only chance to get a spot will be if someone drops out.

I am amazed that this thing has basically sold out 6 months early. Wow.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #977 on: March 02, 2017, 08:35:20 AM »
And it is all because of you, being a wonderful person and getting all of us involved. You made this whole thing. All. By. Yourself.

Then you got us amazing speakers. And arranged rides for us. And still did your job, your dad stuff, and the bar house. I think you deserve a few naps

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #978 on: March 02, 2017, 09:08:45 AM »
And it is all because of you, being a wonderful person and getting all of us involved. You made this whole thing. All. By. Yourself.

Then you got us amazing speakers. And arranged rides for us. And still did your job, your dad stuff, and the bar house. I think you deserve a few naps

+1

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #979 on: March 02, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »
MJ, this is SO cool, I can't wait to hear from you and the ALC!

Prospector, you have done an awesome job planning this whole thing, and it is going to be amazing! Thank you for all of your hard work in bringing everyone together and planning such a great itinerary.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #980 on: March 02, 2017, 09:25:44 AM »
You guys!  Its sinking in...I'm coming to Canada to meet my internet friends IRL.  How cool is this!

Oh, I can make contributions to the homesteading discussion in the form of beekeeping and backyard chickening.  Not that Goblin Chief can't cover his allotted time period, of course.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #981 on: March 02, 2017, 09:35:18 AM »
Seriously this is so cool.. I normally avoid such things (I mean its probably a thousand dollar trip from the West coast).. But sometimes you just have to do things that will be this awesome..:)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #982 on: March 02, 2017, 09:38:01 AM »
You guys are so kind. Please don't judge my success until you've received the deliverable!

Cheapskate - the common theme for these events (with the exception of keynotes) is that the presenter gives a brief framework to start the discussion, and then the attendees share ideas. I hope you will bring your beekeeping and chicken ideas!! And I hope you share them freely!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #983 on: March 02, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »

+100

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #984 on: March 02, 2017, 09:43:44 AM »
Seriously this is so cool.. I normally avoid such things (I mean its probably a thousand dollar trip from the West coast).. But sometimes you just have to do things that will be this awesome..:)

When I looked at flying to Seattle, I thought I could do it around $600 CAD if I used transit and couchsurfed. A rental car and hotels really ups the budget.

I think a bunch of locals - including myself - have offered couchsurfing opportunities, and I'm hoping folks will rideshare openly.

If you choose to have a $1000 vacation, go for it! I am doing my best to keep this as low cost as I can though.

On that note - there will not be mints on your pillows. There will not be gold cords on the non-existant silk and lace window coverings, and there will be no marble floors. Please keep expectations in line with the price tag.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #985 on: March 02, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »

+100

OK Elaine - this is just getting silly. Everyone should be thanking you for stepping in and making USD payment work so this whole thing can go forward.

Can we go back to talking about rental cars and packing?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #986 on: March 02, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »
No Mints?.. WTF?...:)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #987 on: March 02, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »

If anyone wants to bring a box of Mint Thins to CMC, EFB would like one on his pillow.

Done. Next?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #988 on: March 02, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »

If anyone wants to bring a box of Mint Thins to CMC, EFB would like one on his pillow.

Done. Next?

I will bring him some chocolate!  😉

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #989 on: March 02, 2017, 10:16:43 AM »
No big fluffy robes then?
We have to ladle the water over the hot rock in the spa ourselves?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #990 on: March 02, 2017, 10:24:16 AM »

I know right.. This is starting to sound like actual work...:).. (disclaimer, I don't remember what actual work feels like).

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #991 on: March 02, 2017, 10:26:07 AM »
I will bring him some chocolate!  😉

Now you're setting up expectations for the rest of us. Can I have some chocolate too pretty please?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #992 on: March 02, 2017, 10:29:14 AM »

I know right.. This is starting to sound like actual work...:).. (disclaimer, I don't remember what actual work feels like).

Wow - not even a 'Sorry" yet from the Canadians!  What is this world coming too?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #993 on: March 02, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »

Wow - not even a 'Sorry" yet from the Canadians!  What is this world coming too?

Or a "Sorry, eh?" even..:)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #994 on: March 02, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »

No sorries, sorry.  Maybe because we know what a kid's camp is like and we know what we are getting into?  As in, Roughing it in the Bush was written in Canada, eh?  I have been quietly giggling at most of this.

Re the spa and sauna, dream on.

My packing list:
Warm clothes
More warm clothes
Flannelette pyjamas
Warm slippers
Warm socks.
Fleece blanket for extra night warmth.
Sleeping bag, pillow, maybe a foamie as well.
Shower supplies.
One tshirt, just in case.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #995 on: March 02, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »
No sorries, sorry.  Maybe because we know what a kid's camp is like and we know what we are getting into?  As in, Roughing it in the Bush was written in Canada, eh?  I have been quietly giggling at most of this.

My packing list:
Warm clothes
More warm clothes
Flannelette pyjamas
Warm slippers
Warm socks.
Shower supplies.

Now you're perpetuating all those stereotypes that we live in igloos!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #996 on: March 02, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »

My packing list:
Warm clothes
More warm clothes
Flannelette pyjamas
Warm slippers
Warm socks.
Shower supplies.

No bras or underwear listed....hmmmm.

Sorry...

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #997 on: March 02, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
packing list:
*no idea. a bunch of clothes (depends on weather)
*hats
*toiletries
*pillow/blanket
(i assume we need to provide our own bedding???)
*a bottle of bourbon

Travel:
*renting a car.
*driving 9hrs from Louisville to Toronto on Thursday
*CMC: Fri-Su
*Driving to NYC on Sunday.
*Sis is flying out to meet me in NYC.
*Stay in NYC Sunday night-Friday morning
*Drive 13 hours back to Louisville.
*die on my couch

I am quite looking forward to October!!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #998 on: March 02, 2017, 10:57:34 AM »
You all are doing far more planning than me, you are WAY ahead of the game.

Step 1: Book 4 paying speaking gigs at colleges in the Northeast US near CMC.
Step 2: Then figure out how to get there & book flights.
Step 3: Then packing list. The only thing I can guarantee I'm bringing is a bowie costume.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #999 on: March 02, 2017, 11:07:43 AM »
If anybody is on the drive path from Louisville to CMC then i can offer a ride, but i will driving up on Thursday and staying somewhere...and I will not be driving back, so you may have to fly home or something...