Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347934 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #600 on: January 13, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »
Just heard back from venue and have only one important news tidbit...

1. I got a menu and THE MEATBALL PARTY IS ALL SYSTEMS GO!!!!

Excellent. I would like formal recognition. Nothing too much. Maybe a toast, a small plaque, and a long, heartfelt speech.

With tears.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #601 on: January 13, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »

Excellent. I would like formal recognition. Nothing too much. Maybe a toast, a small plaque, and a long, heartfelt speech.

With tears.

You got me so excited I just went ahead and prebooked the sound systems for speeches. Please avoid crying directly on the mics, I want my damage deposit back after this.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #602 on: January 13, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »

With tears.

Someone crafty will make you a crown so you can be the Mustachian Meatball Monarch during the party.  You are first in line at the meatball table.  :)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #603 on: January 13, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »
As long as I get to muscle my way in so I can shove meatballs in my face, I'll be good. Yay for meatballs!!!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #604 on: January 13, 2017, 02:09:22 PM »

With tears.

Someone crafty will make you a crown so you can be the Mustachian Meatball Monarch during the party.  You are first in line at the meatball table.  :)

She can be queen of the Ball(s)*

*Works on so many levels.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #605 on: January 13, 2017, 02:13:29 PM »

With tears.

She can be queen of the Ball(s)*

*Works on so many levels.

Let's leave her personal life out of this.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: January 13, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »

So while y'all frolic in a sea of ground-up dead animal spheres, what's the veggie option?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #607 on: January 13, 2017, 03:02:29 PM »

So while y'all frolic in a sea of ground-up dead animal spheres, what's the veggie option?

Not sure yet, but my suggestions included something To-fu-ish and Falafels. Do you have any suggestions? I haven't coordinated with the cooks on this yet.  What orbs of deliciousness can you educate me on? Falafels have been a success.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #608 on: January 13, 2017, 05:57:30 PM »
While you are talking with the cooks, please remind them that some of us will have special needs diets even though you have not got details yet.  I know you said they deal with special dietary needs all the time, so all they need is a heads-up.  If they put grass seed* in the meatballs I won't be able to eat them.   :-(

*grass seed - wheat, rye, most oats.

Anyone else gluten free and low carb? 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #609 on: January 14, 2017, 05:54:00 AM »
Not gluten free but I will be starting a low carb diet this coming week.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #610 on: January 14, 2017, 06:32:09 AM »
Its great that everyone is sharing! There will be a spot on the form for folks to put their individual diets.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #611 on: January 14, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »
Diet/special needs for food like this get out of hand very quickly when you multiply the number of people, so I'd be very careful about managing expectations here or overpromising. It's especially tricky with things that have no accepted scientific definition (e.g., "low carb" or "vegetarian"). If they are used to handling dietary needs, especially for medical reasons, that probably means they have a system for avoiding common allergens and preventing cross-contamination & know how to cook for those with specific conditions (e.g., diabetes). They also are much better about labeling and giving you info to make appropriate choices.

There is no special form in the world that can juggle all the needs that even our small group will present. What's important is that there is an honest and transparent conversation in advance about what options will be available if you are someone who has a special dietary need.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #612 on: January 14, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »
Since I live in an over-55 community, I am surrounded by special dietary needs. I do not know if this can be arranged at the site, but what seems to work best is the "bar" idea - salad bar, soup bar, sandwich bar, etc. Then people can pick and choose.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #613 on: January 14, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
^This.  If I know what foods have gluten I can avoid them.  The issue is hidden additives.  Bread crumbs are often used as filler - I am thinking the meat balls. 

Low carb -  as long as there are choices I am fine, just as I am sure the vegetarians will be fine as long as they have suitable choices.  I just don't want to be presented with a meal where everything is carb-laden - it is not fun deconstructing a sandwich so I can eat lunch, but I have done it.  A bit odd for the people I am eating with, although possible entertaining?  Desserts, sure, torture me.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #614 on: January 14, 2017, 01:32:31 PM »
Diet/special needs for food like this get out of hand very quickly when you multiply the number of people, so I'd be very careful about managing expectations here or overpromising. It's especially tricky with things that have no accepted scientific definition (e.g., "low carb" or "vegetarian"). If they are used to handling dietary needs, especially for medical reasons, that probably means they have a system for avoiding common allergens and preventing cross-contamination & know how to cook for those with specific conditions (e.g., diabetes). They also are much better about labeling and giving you info to make appropriate choices.

There is no special form in the world that can juggle all the needs that even our small group will present. What's important is that there is an honest and transparent conversation in advance about what options will be available if you are someone who has a special dietary need.

:)

And we can take in as much peanut free packaged food as we can. And this is a children's charity run summer camp that is providing us adults with accommodations, food, and lots of kind thoughts at a ridiculously awesome price.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #615 on: January 14, 2017, 01:47:09 PM »
Sorry for starting the special diet train.   :(. Honestly, as long as there's some sort of option and not just a 'here's extra salad'.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #616 on: January 14, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »
As an omnivore - I would be OK if they went keto vegan gluten-free for all meals. It's only a few days.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #617 on: January 14, 2017, 04:00:50 PM »
I have priced the camp with an omnivore diet.

Once we have numbers and know what specific diets we are accommodating, I'll be able to fill in the blanks for others.

My understanding is that omnivores are fed buffet style while special diets are plated and served directly at the kitchen.

Right now I am broad brushing the food stuff until details come in.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #618 on: January 17, 2017, 11:46:34 AM »
OK surveymonkey users - I am setting up the enrollment form, can SM do this well? As in, will the results be able to be printed out by user so I can see that prospector is on a high cheeseburger diet and is roomies with ARS, or will I just get a count of the number of responses on a high cheeseburger diet?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #619 on: January 17, 2017, 11:54:46 AM »
OK surveymonkey users - I am setting up the enrollment form, can SM do this well? As in, will the results be able to be printed out by user so I can see that prospector is on a high cheeseburger diet and is roomies with ARS, or will I just get a count of the number of responses on a high cheeseburger diet?

Do you have the free version or paid for version? I don't think you can do whT you want with the free version? You essentially want cross tabs results.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #620 on: January 17, 2017, 12:01:20 PM »

Do you have the free version or paid for version? I don't think you can do whT you want with the free version? You essentially want cross tabs results.

Pfffft. Free of course!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #621 on: January 17, 2017, 12:03:22 PM »

Pfffft. Free of course!

You can contact their help folks. I haven't used it for a couple of years, maybe they upgraded what you get for free.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #622 on: January 17, 2017, 03:02:21 PM »
Here's a table of what you get at different levels from SurveyMonkey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/pricing/details/?ut_source=mobile_pricing_summary

jordanread

« Reply #623 on: January 17, 2017, 03:40:08 PM »
You can just make a google spreadsheet with a form too.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #624 on: January 17, 2017, 07:07:03 PM »

Yeah - or I can make a PDF and email it out. I was just looking for an easier to use tool.

jordanread

« Reply #625 on: January 17, 2017, 07:09:04 PM »

Yeah - or I can make a PDF and email it out. I was just looking for an easier to use tool.
Hit me up tomorrow if you want some help. I think Google forms are even easier than survey monkey

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #626 on: January 17, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »

Hit me up tomorrow if you want some help. I think Google forms are even easier than survey monkey

I might just do that.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #627 on: January 17, 2017, 07:39:55 PM »
Or make a sketch of the form, print 60 copies and mail them to us. Then we mail them back. But it's probably cheaper to do one of these technological thingies.

I might just do that.

jordanread

« Reply #628 on: January 17, 2017, 08:49:36 PM »

I might just do that.
You know my info. I'm open except 2:30-3:30 MT.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #629 on: January 17, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »
You can make PDF fillable forms to email. And I think there is a way to upload the info from the e-form and have it tallied up. I don't know how to do that.

Excel is another option - problem is all the write access needed, and having folks fubar the tracking.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #630 on: January 17, 2017, 09:36:32 PM »
Flight Tix from So Cal to YTO are $425 right now. Not bad at all.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #631 on: January 17, 2017, 11:28:34 PM »

Do it!  :D

(Heck, do it with a Barclay Arrival Plus or Chase Sapphire Reserve to make the flight 100% totally free!)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #632 on: January 18, 2017, 05:09:33 AM »

Agree. Also check prices from BUR to BUF if its driveable.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #633 on: January 18, 2017, 06:52:10 AM »
Had a meeting last night with a bestselling Canadian Finance author...

Looks very positive. We are now up to 10 presenters, and 1 or 2 others "thinking about it".

Also have tentative interest from the Toronto Star to cover the event in a popular financial column.

This thing just keeps getting better.

Also, I've received the bio for February's "presenter of the month" - I'll post it up early next month.

As far as activities on Sunday afternoon go, it looks like I'll have to sell seats on the canoe trip separate from the camp if we are going to stay on budget. I was a little shocked at the canoe rental place's prices, so that will be a $40 option on the camp. I'll also provide free alternatives (a day hike on the local rail trail, or a local minor hockey game).

Last night I put together a registration form, and then realized I did the whole thing in the wrong google profile. I'll need to port it across today.

Ticket price looks to have settled out at $235.00 with canoeing as a $40 add-on. This will become official before the next ticket sale.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #634 on: January 18, 2017, 08:08:03 AM »
Thats awesome! I look forward to reading about the event on www.thestar.com from halfway around the world. Please make sure  to share the link if it's covered by The Star.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #635 on: January 18, 2017, 08:09:46 AM »
Please see update to OP. (Post 1 in the thread)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #636 on: January 18, 2017, 09:54:03 AM »
Wow - $40 PER PERSON for canoeing? I assume that's based on 2 people per canoe? I'm more used to paying $40 per canoe. Then again, if they have to transport it in, then costs always go up. Oh well - canoeing is one of my all time favorite things so I will likely do it regardless.

Thanks again for working through all these details for us Prospector!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #637 on: January 18, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »
Wow - $40 PER PERSON for canoeing? I assume that's based on 2 people per canoe? I'm more used to paying $40 per canoe. Then again, if they have to transport it in, then costs always go up. Oh well - canoeing is one of my all time favorite things so I will likely do it regardless.

Thanks again for working through all these details for us Prospector!

Yeah - I was shocked as well. There is a place in Dunnville that is cheaper, but you'd spend so much time getting there that you'd have no time to paddle. I have between now and the start of Feb to find a better deal though, right!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #638 on: January 18, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »

Agree. Also check prices from BUR to BUF if its driveable.

thanks! was actually almost $100 more. not sure that I am even attending. but fun to work out potential scenarios.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: January 20, 2017, 12:39:06 AM »
Wow, this all sounds great.  I went to one Toronto meet-up last year, but then some family stuff happened and I disappeared for a bit (again!)

I am totally intrigued but highly doubtful I can take time off work in order to stay for the whole weekend.  Is there any chance of having a Saturday only option?  No accommodation needed, just a "day pass" kind of thing.  I'm just in Scarborough, so coming for the day would be totally doable!

Will understand if not, but figure if you don't ask, you don't get, right???

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #640 on: January 20, 2017, 01:39:58 AM »
Wow, PJ!

I'll let Prospector answer the day pass question, but in the case that the answer is no,you should definitely try to make it out for the whole weekend. These events are usually so awesome and memorable. You have 9 months to make it work, I hope you try!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #641 on: January 22, 2017, 07:29:25 PM »
Prospector, unanimous vote at tonight's MMMeet up was that the CMC swag should include a high vis vest (or item of similar function), because cyclist and pedestrian road safety is Mustachian. Can you hook us up?  (I'm picturing dusty boxes of them in a utility closet at your office, leftover from an ancient public education initiative...)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #642 on: January 22, 2017, 07:37:52 PM »
Wow, this all sounds great.  I went to one Toronto meet-up last year, but then some family stuff happened and I disappeared for a bit (again!)

I am totally intrigued but highly doubtful I can take time off work in order to stay for the whole weekend.  Is there any chance of having a Saturday only option?  No accommodation needed, just a "day pass" kind of thing.  I'm just in Scarborough, so coming for the day would be totally doable!

Will understand if not, but figure if you don't ask, you don't get, right???

Sorry but I just don't see this as a doable option. It would get onerous real quick with food and pricing and all that jazz.

Prospector, unanimous vote at tonight's MMMeet up was that the CMC swag should include a high vis vest (or item of similar function), because cyclist and pedestrian road safety is Mustachian. Can you hook us up?  (I'm picturing dusty boxes of them in a utility closet at your office, leftover from an ancient public education initiative...)

Cool idea - I might do clip-on lights since they are pretty universally appreciated when we do these events for work. Will keep in mind.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #643 on: January 22, 2017, 09:08:16 PM »
I like this idea too!
And anything with a mustache on it so we can identify ourselves as we stroll through our respective towns.  Bike bumper stickers perhaps?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #644 on: January 24, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
Hmmmm..... I may have a source for affordable canoeing. Two questions though... Is anyone who is attending camp a lifeguard? and Who has a trailer hitch on a vehicle tough enough to pull a canoe trailer with about 10 canoes on it? (1,000 lbs of canoe plus trailer weight) Actually, Mommas minivan might be able to manage this.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #645 on: January 24, 2017, 03:04:59 PM »
Hmmmm..... I may have a source for affordable canoeing. Two questions though... Is anyone who is attending camp a lifeguard? and Who has a trailer hitch on a vehicle tough enough to pull a canoe trailer with about 10 canoes on it? (1,000 lbs of canoe plus trailer weight) Actually, Mommas minivan might be able to manage this.

My lifeguard certification expired >20 years ago, so I'm probably no help here, but I like where you're going with this.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #646 on: January 24, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »
Isn't monstermonster a lifeguard?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #647 on: January 25, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »

My lifeguard certification expired >20 years ago, so I'm probably no help here, but I like where you're going with this.

Same here.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #648 on: January 25, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »
Two expired ones equals a current one, right?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #649 on: January 25, 2017, 02:24:52 PM »
Two expired ones equals a current one, right?

As long as one of them has a cell phone to dial 911.