Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347860 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #350 on: November 24, 2016, 05:08:32 AM »
CAMP MUSTACHE PRESALE IS SOLD OUT!!!

PLEASE WATCH FOR OUR NEXT BLOCK OF TICKETS TO COME AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 05:34:11 AM by Prospector »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #351 on: November 24, 2016, 05:14:11 AM »
CAMP MUSTACHE PRESALE IS SOLD OUT!!!

PLEASE WATCH FOR OUR NEXT BLOCK OF TICKETS TO COME AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY

Excellent

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #352 on: November 24, 2016, 05:33:24 AM »
Considering that the model of CM is for 50 attendees and 10 speakers, I find it quite impressive that we have already filled most of our speaking roles and almost half of our bunks. Its refreshing to see the excitement.

Now I need to find some ladies who are willing to step up in speaking roles. The slate right now is dude-heavy. I'd LOVE to see some ladies step in for a few presentations. Lets smash some stereotypes! I only have 2 speaking slots left right now, and then I'll be looking for standby speakers.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #353 on: November 24, 2016, 06:41:19 AM »
Ugh, I don't have enough money right now to attend (or speak) though I'd like to attend. I'm thinking if my situation improves maybe I'll slip in on someone's cancelation last minute but who knows?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #354 on: November 24, 2016, 06:43:54 AM »
Ugh, I don't have enough money right now to attend (or speak) though I'd like to attend. I'm thinking if my situation improves maybe I'll slip in on someone's cancelation last minute but who knows?

Don't sweat it! There will be another block of tickets come available in February, you still have time to rack up miles etc.

I think(not sure) that if you get the World Elite Master Card, the sign on bonus has enough miles to get you a round trip ticket from just about anyplace in Canada to YTO. If the airfare is your challenge, look into that.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #355 on: November 24, 2016, 07:25:30 AM »

You can get cheap flight tickets from Edmonton to Hamilton on New Leaf airlines. I am also considering driving from Edmonton to Toronto. That would take a few days.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #356 on: November 24, 2016, 08:18:37 AM »

You can get cheap flight tickets from Edmonton to Hamilton on New Leaf airlines. I am also considering driving from Edmonton to Toronto. That would take a few days.

Interesting. I haven't heard of New Leaf. I'll check it out. I hate driving and the rare times I drove from Edm to Wpg or back were terrible. It's more than twice that to get all the way to Toronto, so driving won't be for me. (I'd drive if I was going super slow and took a week or so maybe.)

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #357 on: November 24, 2016, 08:20:31 AM »

Don't sweat it! There will be another block of tickets come available in February, you still have time to rack up miles etc.

I think(not sure) that if you get the World Elite Master Card, the sign on bonus has enough miles to get you a round trip ticket from just about anyplace in Canada to YTO. If the airfare is your challenge, look into that.

I will look into the credit card. Thanks!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #358 on: November 24, 2016, 01:48:12 PM »
Not to minimize our Camp Mustache, but what happened with Camp Mustache Forever in BC?  Is there a site up?  I need an excuse to go there this summer.  ;-)  I miss VI.  :-(

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #359 on: November 24, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »
Not to minimize our Camp Mustache, but what happened with Camp Mustache Forever in BC?  Is there a site up?  I need an excuse to go there this summer.  ;-)  I miss VI.  :-(
This is still pending.

It's very different than the two day CMC in this thread, it's two months, and most people will sign up for a week slot.

Don't let either one deter you from the other, they're very different formats and purposes and sizes. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #360 on: November 24, 2016, 06:00:06 PM »
This is still pending.

It's very different than the two day CMC in this thread, it's two months, and most people will sign up for a week slot.

Don't let either one deter you from the other, they're very different formats and purposes and sizes. :)

Oh I want to do both - different locales, different formats, etc., and a chance to see my VI MMM friends.  I was just wondering what the status was.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #361 on: November 25, 2016, 07:52:26 AM »
I've been playing with schedules... Its fun and I like playing with this stuff. Leave me alone. I know we are still a year away and the 15 minutes between speakers could be changed to 10. I don't care. Shut up.

Right now I have things officially starting at noon on Friday and running until 6:00 PM Sunday. Thought this nugget might help those who are shopping flights. 10:00 AM through to noon on Friday is scheduled as "check in-arrival" time.

If any local/semi local helpers are able to be at the venue by 09h00 to help with setup, that would be supercool. Also, anyone who is looking at a flight a day or so early, my family has room in our house for bodies, but you will be woken up frickin' early on Friday AM to drive to the camp and will be enlisted in the setup crew.

We can take 7 ppl between our car and minivan, but some spots will be squishy. If we get demand for more than 7, we will rent a van and have riders split costs. Basically what I am saying is that if Wednesday/Thursday flights are cheap... go for it and we will put you up. Somehow. GO Train service from Toronto airports to our home is excellent, we have a spare bed, an inflatable bed, and tonnes of camping gear/couches/etc.

Connectivity from Buffalo to chez Prospero sux. If you can find a way to link BUF to the GO train, you're in luck. I've never tried. Our town is on the Lakeshore line, and our home is a few km from the GO station. Since all things GO link to the Lakeshore line, if you can get to it, Bob's your uncle.

No idea how many folks are already hitting long-term airfare deals.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 02:58:02 PM by Prospector »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #362 on: November 25, 2016, 09:06:19 AM »
Those dates are not yet available for scheduling on some airlines. That should change in the next two weeks.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #363 on: November 25, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »
No problem - at this point its all just fun with spreadsheets anyway.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #364 on: November 25, 2016, 03:01:09 PM »
Following.  Thinking about it.  Missed the sale this week as I was out in the desert.

Sorry, but what airport should I fly into?  Toronto?  Hamilton?  Saskatoon?  Vulcan?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #365 on: November 25, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
If you can get into Hamilton, it is the Holy Grail. Toronto or Buffalo are about the same drive to the camp, but Toronto will put you on public transit and Buffalo will force you to rent a car.

Of course if a bunch of folks wheel into buffalo on the same arrival, an airport car or rental split 3 or ways won't be terrible (I think).

I am about to head up to the barnhouse... Can't wait to see what's in the mailbox.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #366 on: November 25, 2016, 03:38:47 PM »
Following.  Thinking about it.  Missed the sale this week as I was out in the desert.

Sorry, but what airport should I fly into?  Toronto?  Hamilton?  Saskatoon?  Vulcan?

Des Moines or Chicago - then ride the rest of the way with me!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #367 on: November 25, 2016, 04:04:34 PM »
If you can get into Hamilton, it is the Holy Grail.

Also true in NYC.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #368 on: November 25, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »

Also true in NYC.

Not if you are Mike Pence!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #369 on: November 25, 2016, 04:59:12 PM »
As an ignorant Canadian... I don't get the Hamilton reference. And I'm not trying.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #370 on: November 25, 2016, 05:13:30 PM »
As an ignorant Canadian... I don't get the Hamilton reference. And I'm not trying.

The Broadway play, almost impossible to get tickets - won just about all of the Tony awards.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #371 on: November 25, 2016, 06:16:28 PM »

Also true in NYC.

I appreciate your wit.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #372 on: November 25, 2016, 06:43:51 PM »

Also true in NYC.

I appreciate your wit.

I just got it now.  :)

Jschange

« Reply #373 on: November 25, 2016, 07:45:44 PM »
I've been playing with schedules... Its fun and I like playing with this stuff. Leave me alone. I know we are still a year away and the 15 minutes between speakers could be changed to 10. I don't care. Shut up.

Right now I have things officially starting at noon on Friday and running until 6:00 PM Sunday. Thought this nugget might help those who are shopping flights. 10:00 AM through to noon on Friday is scheduled as "check in-arrival" time.

If any local/semi local helpers are able to be at the venue by 09h00 to help with setup, that would be supercool. Also, anyone who is looking at a flight a day or so early, my family has room in our house for bodies, but you will be woken up frickin' early on Friday AM to drive to the camp and will be enlisted in the setup crew.

We can take 7 ppl between our car and minivan, but some spots will be squishy. If we get demand for more than 7, we will rent a van and have riders split costs. Basically what I am saying is that if Wednesday/Thursday flights are cheap... go for it and we will put you up. Somehow. GO Train service from Toronto airports to our home is excellent, we have a spare bed, an inflatable bed, and tonnes of camping gear/couches/etc.

Connectivity from Buffalo to chez Prospero sux. If you can find a way to link BUF to the GO train, you're in luck. I've never tried. Our town is on the Lakeshore line, and our home is a few km from the GO station. Since all things GO link to the Lakeshore line, if you can get to it, Bob's your uncle.

Redacted
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:38:47 PM by LittleFriendlyGiant »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #374 on: November 25, 2016, 08:20:49 PM »

I want anyone considering this to be very very aware that it is a healthy 3 hour drive from Prospector's house to the venue. He will be making you leave by 530 or 6 am OR is a dangerous driver.
We get up early anyway

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #375 on: November 25, 2016, 09:29:23 PM »
I'm at the barnhouse. Alas, there was no Mustache Mail. This saddens me greatly. Maybe next week.

Also, the idea that a dude who makes his living in traffic safety drives recklessly is unheard of. I'm a set it at 110kmh and enjoy the ride kind of a guy.

Yes it will be an early morning. But then we'll arrive at camp with 3 hours to snooze.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #376 on: November 25, 2016, 09:35:23 PM »
Probably everyone is like me, trying to work out exactly how to pay. Now that has been sorted (personal cheque, marked $CAD) it will be sent pronto!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #377 on: November 25, 2016, 09:53:54 PM »
Is Gdog alone in struggling with banking? Should I try to set up a bank account and a PayPal dedicated to the event?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #378 on: November 25, 2016, 10:04:27 PM »
US holiday will slow the mail.

I'm not likely to use PayPal, well, maybe... I kind of hate them irrationally.....

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #379 on: November 25, 2016, 11:07:40 PM »
I'm at the barnhouse. Alas, there was no Mustache Mail. This saddens me greatly. Maybe next week.

Mine went in the mail Thursday night.  Next Friday there will be Mustache Mail for sure!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #380 on: November 26, 2016, 01:29:53 AM »
US holiday will slow the mail.

I'm not likely to use PayPal, well, maybe... I kind of hate them irrationally.....
I hate them rationally. If I use PAYPAL to buy something from the US it charges me more to convert than anything else I have used online.

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
« Reply #381 on: November 26, 2016, 08:28:26 AM »

My cheque hit the mailbox on Wednesday, you should see it next week Prospector.

Do you have a topic list for the sessions? I am a little curious. Just want to get a head start on research.

Unless Newleaf comes back to Regina in 2017 it looks like I will be flying in on the Thursday late via Calgary. If your offer for labour for couch/floor/sleeping space is still available I would be interested.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #382 on: November 26, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »

My cheque hit the mailbox on Wednesday, you should see it next week Prospector.

Do you have a topic list for the sessions? I am a little curious. Just want to get a head start on research.

Unless Newleaf comes back to Regina in 2017 it looks like I will be flying in on the Thursday late via Calgary. If your offer for labour for couch/floor/sleeping space is still available I would be interested.

No trouble with sleeping space. I'll be posting speakers monthly. As of now, I have 3 speaking slots and one morning exercise leader spot open. I'd really like more female speakers if any are available.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #383 on: November 26, 2016, 11:30:08 AM »
Do we have many singles coming? If so, MJ needs to lead a group on dating.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #384 on: November 26, 2016, 07:30:04 PM »

I want anyone considering this to be very very aware that it is a healthy 3 hour drive from Prospector's house to the venue. He will be making you leave by 530 or 6 am OR is a dangerous driver.

I have spent a great deal of time trying to figure out how LFG figured it would take me three hours to drive to Brantford. I even tried Google mapping a variety of silly rough options that no sane Traffic dude would drive. Then today it struck me. LFG thinks I live in my investment property where everyone is sending their cheques.

For everyone's peace of mind... the barnhouse is a good hour and a half east of the Frosthaus. We live in the Frosthaus, which Google puts at a 2 hour drive from Camp Mustache.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #385 on: November 26, 2016, 07:32:57 PM »
Do we have many singles coming? If so, MJ needs to lead a group on dating.

She is an expert on the subject matter. Unfortunately she has already expressed her position so far as a speaking role goes. I know you are disappointed.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #386 on: November 26, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »
Okay, if you need girls, I can lead a group discussion on global macroeconomic trends and investing.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #387 on: November 26, 2016, 07:50:12 PM »
Okay, if you need girls, I can lead a group discussion on global macroeconomic trends and investing.

Srsly? Or are you kidding? Cause I would love to put that on the schedule.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #388 on: November 26, 2016, 08:10:14 PM »
What sorts of things have you got on the schedule already, and what sorts of things are you looking for?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #389 on: November 26, 2016, 08:36:01 PM »

Sure.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #390 on: November 26, 2016, 08:37:31 PM »
What sorts of things have you got on the schedule already, and what sorts of things are you looking for?

We have lots of traditional financial /real estate investing, an AMA with an accountant, a speaker on life after FIRE, and a personal achievement advisor. We are lightweight on DIY, Bike stuff, food, gardening, etc. We also still have 11 months, so no rush/stress.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #391 on: November 26, 2016, 08:38:38 PM »
Oh well, in that case, I'll do cheap decorating. Much more fun.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #392 on: November 26, 2016, 08:40:19 PM »

I'll PM you when I get to a real computer.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #393 on: November 26, 2016, 08:40:36 PM »
Sure.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #394 on: November 26, 2016, 08:55:19 PM »
Food? Gardening? I do those. -- what do you want to know?

Retired@63 - don't you do a lot of gardening?

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #395 on: November 26, 2016, 10:20:11 PM »
If people are flying into Buffalo and averse to renting a car, Megabus goes from the Buffalo airport to Toronto with stopovers in Niagara Falls (ont), St. Catharines, and Grimsby... any of those will let you transfer to a GO bus for Hamilton.

Or if you're a real glutton for punishment, you can take two Buffalo city buses to Niagara Falls, NY, then walk across the bridge and a further 20 minutes to the Niagara Falls (ont) GO station.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #396 on: November 26, 2016, 11:17:10 PM »

Sure.

But I got all excited for the macroeconomics talk!  I will even cheerfully get up early for it!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #397 on: November 26, 2016, 11:39:03 PM »
Ha hah!  Now the question I asked you and Ali at the Organ Pipes (if you led a CM session what would be the topic) is suddenly relevant!

Do you remember your answer?  ;)

Especially if Ali has to take my spot in some sort of gender affirmative action thing. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: November 27, 2016, 12:14:21 AM »

Sure.

But I got all excited for the macroeconomics talk!  I will even cheerfully get up early for it!

Well, I won't. I hate early mornings. And I prefer group discussions to "talks". I never think I'm the only person in the room with something interesting to say. Although I have been in one or two business meetings that proved me wrong

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #399 on: November 27, 2016, 06:55:06 AM »
Food? Gardening? I do those. -- what do you want to know?

Retired@63 - don't you do a lot of gardening?

Yes but after seeing Backyardfeast's gardens I think I am a novice.  My gardening claim to fame is giving a talk on how to divide and replant peonies and daylilies at an international plowing match.  I had 2 men show up 20 minutes early to be sure they could get seats at the front.  ;-)   And Ed Lawrence told me I could cope with slowly pruning a tree back into shape (4 years later it needs one more year and it will be fine) because I am a patient enough gardener because I have raised peonies from seed.  ;-)  They are gorgeous, btw, and I could bring seeds.  We could do a seminar type thing, short presentation and then long question period/discussion time.  Or talk about organic gardening on the cheap, or beneficials, or starting things from seed (and especially, why bother).  Or all of the above.