Author Topic: Camp Mustache 2016  (Read 44377 times)

Zoot Allures

• Stubble
Camp Mustache 2016
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:39:48 PM »
Tickets now available! I imagine they'll go pretty quickly.

Looking forward to it...

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
Re: Camp Mustache 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:27:24 PM »
Whew, got mine!  I was typing so fast.  TAKE MY MONEY.  HERE IS MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER!!

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »
Count us in again this year.  I better start getting ready for the hike.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 04:38:40 PM »
Tickets secured :) Looking forward to seeing you again Tami1982 and 2Saving4Life :D

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 10:18:59 PM »
Tickets bought!! Very excited to finally meet some fellow mustaches and MMM and Brandon and do some hiking in beautiful Wash.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 10:44:06 PM »
I'm not seeing info on if you have to drive there.  Is there public transit or a shuttle? 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 12:17:47 AM »
Nice!  Booking tickets for Ali and myself right now.

So excited to see everyone from previous camps again and meet some new people!  :D

I'm not seeing info on if you have to drive there.  Is there public transit or a shuttle?

There isn't, but people usually arrange carpools--I'm sure if you're flying in, we'll get you there.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 08:09:25 AM »
My wife and i would love to attend, but wondering about bringing our kids (aged 3 and 6).  Have folks brought young children in the past and did it seem to work?  Or, should we try to get drop them off at the grandparents for the weekend? 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 08:34:20 AM »
My wife and i would love to attend, but wondering about bringing our kids (aged 3 and 6).  Have folks brought young children in the past and did it seem to work?  Or, should we try to get drop them off at the grandparents for the weekend?

You could bring the kids, but if you have the option of dropping them with the grandparents, I really would. People did come with their kids last year, but it was all babies or toddlers. It seemed to work out, but there is a lot going on - and if you have to keep an eye on your kids as well, you tend to miss out a bit.   There are so many great people to meet and connect with on an adult level - which is important too.

That being said, I don't have kids, these are just my observations from last year - but if I did, and had the option of child care, I would leave them to be spoiled by the grandparents and have some adult time. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »
+1 to swick.  You absolutely can bring them (and see the free for kids 0-3 and discounted ticket for ages 4-11 or whatever it is, cause they'll still eat and stuff), but to really connect, if it's possible, I'd have them at the grandparents.

We'll have a 4 month old, and I'm trying to figure out if we can leave her for a weekend or not.  Probably will have to bring her, but I know that'll detract from my fully connecting with people as much as I could.

Either way works though, they'll be more than welcome if that's what you decide, there have been kids before, and probably will be this year too.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 06:08:47 PM »
Bought tickets last night! My SO is coming with this time. Super excited :)

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »
We're booked and live in the area as well so we can help some out-of-town Mustachians get to and from when the time comes.  We're looking forward to it!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 07:07:03 PM »

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you, Kudy and meeting your SO!

I'm in!

I can help with shuttling people from/back to the airport, and also with preparation logistics (I grew up in the area where the event is being held).

So excited I get to participate this time.  Take that, Beijing!

Totally looking forward to meeting you, lhamo! been following your journal for a while.

We'll have a 4 month old, and I'm trying to figure out if we can leave her for a weekend or not.  Probably will have to bring her, but I know that'll detract from my fully connecting with people as much as I could.

You know what they say, it takes a community of mustaches to raise a baby spy! I have no doubts if you do end up bringing her, there are quite a few of us who would be willing to spell you off for a bit!

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 08:35:14 PM »

Nice, we are glad you are coming back again this year Kudy.  It will be nice to meet your SO also.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 09:36:22 PM »
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you, Kudy and meeting your SO!

Nice, we are glad you are coming back again this year Kudy.  It will be nice to meet your SO also.

She'll probably be a bit shy, but I think she's excited to come with! (she may also be trying to confirm in person that I didn't join a cult last year...) - I'm happy you guys are all coming back again too :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 11:41:56 PM »
She'll probably be a bit shy, but I think she's excited to come with! (she may also be trying to confirm in person that I didn't join a cult last year...) - I'm happy you guys are all coming back again too :)

Hah.  She'll be asking for seconds on the kool-aid by the end of the weekend!  :D

Glad you'll be there kudy, I'm so psyched so many people are coming back from CMII!

And can't wait to meet all the new people too!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:08:03 AM by arebelspy »

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 01:04:00 AM »
Looks great!  I hope someone will give a report afterwards for those of us not attending but wishing we could!

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 11:24:48 PM »
Really excited to meet everyone! So few like-minded people around gets me down. Will be great to meet some of the folks I've been reading here on the forums.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 09:31:13 PM »
Tickets secured :) Looking forward to seeing you again Tami1982 and 2Saving4Life :D

You too!  I enjoyed meeting and hanging out with you guys!

You know what they say, it takes a community of mustaches to raise a baby spy! I have no doubts if you do end up bringing her, there are quite a few of us who would be willing to spell you off for a bit!

YES.  :)

Zoot Allures

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 11:00:10 PM »
...aaaand it appears that tickets are now sold out.

Psyched to meet you all! If anyone's traveling from the Portland area, maybe we can arrange a carpool.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 01:41:38 AM »
...aaaand it appears that tickets are now sold out.

Psyched to meet you all! If anyone's traveling from the Portland area, maybe we can arrange a carpool.

Sold out in 4 days is pretty awesome.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 06:40:12 PM »
glad I jumped on this so quickly!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »
I am glad my cousin is getting married that weekend, makes me not have to wonder "should I try to go to this or not?" :-)

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2016, 11:32:27 PM »
Might be jumping the gun, but if I wanted to book flights for me from LA and my buddy from SLC what times would I want to arrive and leave?

Thanks!

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »
Last year things kicked off at 4pm on Friday, and disbanded around 1pm (I think? I left about 11:30am) on Monday. I know some folks got together for a meetup Thursday evening as well, if you're coming in a day early. I think some people arranged to hang out together 1 or 2 days afterward as well?

I think this year the ticketing site said it starts at 4 on Friday, and ends Monday at 3?

I was looking at flights, and will probably book the one that comes in Friday around 1 or 2; unfortunately the best return flight for us will probably have us leave a bit early again on Monday (unless I take Tuesday off and return late, or stay an extra night?)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 07:59:08 PM »
If you're consistently selling out all of the tickets in four days, maybe it's time to consider a larger venue?

I live less than an hour's drive away and I still can't justify $425 to hang out with all of you in person. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 08:28:55 PM »
If you're consistently selling out all of the tickets in four days, maybe it's time to consider a larger venue?

I live less than an hour's drive away and I still can't justify $425 to hang out with all of you in person.

The location is awesome and it is totally worth the price. I would say that the investment was insignificant compared to the  lessons and tips picked up, the friendships made and the exchanges of knowledge that happend.

Also, while hubs was on board with the idea of FIRE, it was really abstract for him and he didn't "really" see the point. Hanging out with and learning from other mustachians really let him see what was possible and how many different routes and opportunities for FIRE exist. For me, that's priceless :)

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 11:03:01 PM »
I've only done it once so far, but it was a very enjoyable use of <1% of my annual income; probably one of the most memorable/fun uses of money I spent last year.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 11:11:21 PM »
I posted my comment (reply #17) after checking out the website, and adult tickets were already sold out.  Organizers, if you wanted to make the event bigger, there is definitely demand for more spots!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 03:14:28 AM »
I've only done it once so far, but it was a very enjoyable use of <1% of my annual income; probably one of the most memorable/fun uses of money I spent last year.

+1.

I mean, the wife and I are going for a 3rd year in a row.  We planned our trip to the U.S. around it.  There's a reason so many of us--Mustachians, who generally don't like to waste money--find it worth it: it is!

The cost is a lot, $850 for both of us is a big chunk of our annual budget, but the reason makes sense: lodging for 3 nights, plus food prepared for you for three days, snacks, some entertainment, some expenses to cover the "speaker" costs, etc.  They could make it cheaper, but it wouldn't be the same type of event (see below).  The cost makes sense, and is worth it, IMO.

I posted my comment (reply #17) after checking out the website, and adult tickets were already sold out.  Organizers, if you wanted to make the event bigger, there is definitely demand for more spots!

So it was more like sold out in two days, not four.  Wow.

Regarding making the event bigger, I think they thought about this between years 1 & 2, but liked the idea of it being smaller.

I'm sure they could hold a "conference" style event where tickets were ~$100 apiece and it was held in a hotel conference room, people paid for their own hotel room and wen tout to get their own food, and get hundreds (literally) of people.

I don't think that's what they want.  This weekend is much more intimate than that. 50 people hanging out together, eating all meals together, playing games.  You get a chance to learn a lot more about people, their backgrounds, families, etc.

My wife still emails with people from the event--she made, like, real friends.  That's pretty rare, as an adult.

You're in super interesting conversations non-stop with people who tend to share very similar values with you.  There's very, very few places anywhere else in the world to get that.

I know if they did change the event style and added more, the wife and I likely wouldn't go.  It'd be a totally different experience, because while it'd be the same type of people, having so much more would mean you'd connect a lot superficially before bouncing to the next, or barely meet anyone.  The way it is, you get a chance to meet people, sit with different people at the next meal, meet them, etc.  Then there's time to chat with them again, and again.  I'm really glad they added the extra day between year 1 & 2 (year one was Fri - Sun, last year it changed to Fri - Mon, so the costs went up a bit).  That added to the intimacy by giving more time.  Adding more people would do the opposite.

The Ecuador "Chautauqua" would be even more intense, I'm sure.  A full week of that?  And I think 25-ish people?  Right now we can't justify that $3600 per couple (not including extra travel costs), but the $850 of the Seattle Camp Mustache?  Heck yes!

There are multiple people I've met at CM who went to one of the Chautauquas, and loved it, yet still found value in traveling to Seattle for CM.

I mean, Pete's spending time to fly up to Seattle, and doing TWO Chautauquas per year now (two weeks of his year just in Ecuador doing that).  He has plenty of money from being FI + the site, so clearly he's doing it out of pure enjoyment.

I get why it seems weird though--it's hard to describe the feeling of electricity in the air.

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »

You're in super interesting conversations non-stop with people who tend to share very similar values with you.  There's very, very few places anywhere else in the world to get that.

+1

We weren't sure what to expect when we decided to go last year but we understand now that it's the people that truly make this event special.  There's a lot of good information at the breakout sessions but the stories, memories, and connections you make with people is where the value is.  In my opinion anyway.  Which is why we decided to go again this year. 

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 08:48:12 AM »
I would love to go, but I'm having my wisdom teeth surgery that Friday morning. Damn.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »
dang already sold out, if anyone ends up not being able to make it i'd be happy to buy a ticket from you.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 01:51:36 PM »
dang already sold out, if anyone ends up not being able to make it i'd be happy to buy a ticket from you.

Same, if anybody who has 2 tickets end up not being able to make it, would they mind messaging me? After the tickets are offered to Jeremy E. first, of course :)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 01:51:49 PM »

I'm sensing a retirement side-hustle in the making.  Next year, I'm buying 10 tickets and reselling for full price plus $100 each.

Taking pre-orders now!  Get 'em before they're gone!

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 10:49:03 AM »
*adds this to 2017 New Year's resolutions*

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 03:53:58 AM »
Why stop at 10? You could try to get 40 and book the event out with your hustlees!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »
Why stop at 10? You could try to get 40 and book the event out with your hustlees!

I'm trying to be crass, not exploitive.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »
Going to renege(had to look up the spelling on this cool word) on my offer to buy tickets of people who can't make it(Cai should be able to help these people out though), turns out the Jet Boat Racing World Championship is being hosted in my hometown on the same weekend, (happens in U.S. once every 4 years, only the 2nd time it's been in my hometown). I have a relative racing and know a lot of the other racers and want to be there to support them. They are the most unmustachian people I know, they spend $10,000-$250,000 on their boats and race them at speeds up to 160mph going over huge rapids and very often the boats sink or need repair(about half of the boats are usually still running at the end). They also use around $1,500-$3,000 worth of gas depending on the fuel (generally 110 octane racing fuel or 105 low lead av gas) and fuel additives. Anyways, next year I want to be there for sure, as I'd really like to meet everyone, especially Mad Fientist and MMM.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:01:31 AM by Jeremy E. »

Seattle Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
Super bummed this sold out so quickly, fingers crossed for next year!

KeithTax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Wealthy Accountant
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2016, 01:13:18 PM »
Sue and I will be there again this year. Get your tax questions ready.

Had a lot of people asking me to start a blog so I have.

www.wealthyaccountant.com

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 01:30:57 PM »
Sue and I will be there again this year.

Awesome!  Looking forward to seeing you two again.  :)

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 01:39:17 AM »
Sue and I will be there again this year. Get your tax questions ready.

Had a lot of people asking me to start a blog so I have.

www.wealthyaccountant.com

Awesome!!  Look forward to seeing you both again:)

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 12:13:43 AM »

Camp Mustache organizer here. Happy to address both of these topics...

Regarding the size: I don't anticipate us ever making the event much bigger than ~50 people. The goal is for everyone to have at least one meaningful conversation with everyone else over the course of the weekend, and that can't happen at a much bigger scale. Having said that, we're looking into ways to make the ticket sales more equitable (e.g. between past attendees and new folks, etc).

Regarding the price, I'll quote MMM: "Every Year there's some grumpy guy who says that. It's non-profit, dude. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/10/24/frugal-vs-cheap/"

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 10:31:27 PM »
We went last year and had a great time, met some awesome people, and some very good conversation. We would have considered it again this year, but scheduling conflict with a family wedding made the decision easy.
Maybe we'll be back next year..Is it like Star Trek movies, are the even ones the best ones? :)

For those of you who think it's expensive or far, maybe you can use that as incentive to organize something in your area as awesome and make it even more affordable.

We used the Camp Mustache last year as an excuse to make an extended trip.. I'd love to have an excuse to explore some other awesome places as well.
Whose organizing Camp Mustache Hawaii in December?? :)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 11:40:55 PM »
For those of you who think it's expensive or far, maybe you can use that as incentive to organize something in your area as awesome and make it even more affordable.

I think one of the best things about Camp Mustache is that it's very grass-roots: a few folks from the forums just got together and said "Hey, let's make this happen." It'd be awesome to have other sibling CMs around the country (and internationally!).

Nords should totally do this (said in my gnarliest surfer dude accent).

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 01:08:00 AM »

I think one of the best things about Camp Mustache is that it's very grass-roots: a few folks from the forums just got together and said "Hey, let's make this happen." It'd be awesome to have other sibling CMs around the country (and internationally!).

Poor old Nords has much better things to do - he puts a lot of effort into assisting people on this forum already - surely there are others who can do it.

fierymillennials

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Fiery Millennials
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2016, 05:08:15 PM »
I'm coming this year! I'm really excited about it after hearing such wonderful things from Pete and another guy who attended last year. For me, this is like a cheaper Chautauqua, since I don't have the time to go to Ecuador again.

I'll be flying in Friday evening and wouldn't mind participating in an uberpool or car pool if people are offering. Only a few more months now!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2016, 12:27:05 PM »
Wait, what? 

I just found this thread, thanks to FiveSigmas and a keyword search.

We've sort of kept Memorial Day weekend open for the possibility of hiking Haleakala Crater again, but it looks as if that's not happening in our group this year, and now I'm curious.

As I understand it, this event offers cabins (possibly even with beds) and kitchen/trash duties are handled by someone else, correct?  That's way better than Haleakala's creature comforts. 

How are the mosquitoes at the site?  Other biting insects?  Night-time temperatures?  Surf forecast?

Camp Mustache organizer here. Happy to address both of these topics...

Regarding the size: I don't anticipate us ever making the event much bigger than ~50 people. The goal is for everyone to have at least one meaningful conversation with everyone else over the course of the weekend, and that can't happen at a much bigger scale. Having said that, we're looking into ways to make the ticket sales more equitable (e.g. between past attendees and new folks, etc).

Regarding the price, I'll quote MMM: "Every Year there's some grumpy guy who says that. It's non-profit, dude. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/10/24/frugal-vs-cheap/"
I don't know whether you follow FinCon, but in six years it's grown from ~150 to over 1000 attendees (and might get even bigger).  One of the perennial issues is people buying early-bird tickets the year before (or even a few months before) and then not being able to attend.  The tix are not refundable, of course, but the organizer posts a Google Doc of people who want to sell/buy tickets.  The organizer also requests that the ticket price stay the same (no scalping) or they won't transfer the registration. 

If you're not already implementing this ticket-transfer system, then perhaps you'd find a volunteer who'd plagiarize the FinCon Google Doc and run the system for you.

FinCon has grown too big for everyone to have meaningful conversations with everyone (if it ever could), but there are plenty of meaningful conversations with as many people as I can handle... both old friends and new ones.  Every year I swear I'm going to do better, yet every year I'm hoarse by the evening after I arrive and exhausted by the time we leave.

I'll run this idea by my spouse and keep an eye on this thread-- please post here if two tickets open up. 

Poor old Nords has much better things to do - he puts a lot of effort into assisting people on this forum already - surely there are others who can do it.
We've discussed this many times among military bloggers and at FinCon, and so far the best solution has been local meetups like the ones MMM did a few years ago on vacation here. 

The biggest obstacle to Hawaii conferences is lodging.  Oahu's room rates are essentially at least 50% higher during winter, and I don't know anyone who thinks that Hawaii has affordable lodging at any time of year.  (Ask the surfers who visit the North Shore for winter surfing...)  Perhaps the best option would be renting out an entire camp/lodge on a neighbor island (Big Island?) during the shoulder seasons of March/April or September/October.  They tend to be miles away from the beach, although they're in beautiful hiking country.

Personally, the other issue is that conferences inevitably turn into a full-time project for at least a couple months.  Kudos to you guys for organizing everything, but I lack the motivation to take charge of that cat-herding itinerary.  I'm much more comfortable auditioning for the role of the guy who sits at a table in the lobby with a cup of coffee and an iPad, talking with dozens of people all day long.

Incidentally there will be surfing at FinCon16 in San Diego.  I'm working on a stand-up paddleboarding package with the Sheraton Marina resort (mornings or afternoons around the FinCon schedule), and I'm also digging into the details of trekking to breaks at Point Loma or Mission Bay (probably separately from FinCon).  This would be for both experienced surfers and for kooks who can at least swim and want to take a lesson.  FinCon16 is 21-24 Sep but my spouse and I are arriving on the 15th and staying through the 27th.

I'm exploring a separate potential FinCon goodie for PT to include in the swag bags, although for that many swag bags it's a four-figure expense which would benefit from a corporate sponsor. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2016, 12:33:42 PM »
I'll run this idea by my spouse and keep an eye on this thread-- please post here if two tickets open up. 

Oh MAN, I so want you to come!  You'd be the #1 presenter I'd want to see.

Although I'll be a little embarrassed when the dude almost twice my age laps me up and down the mountain on the hike.  :D