Author Topic: Camp Mustache [Your City]?? Suggestions wanted!  (Read 33274 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Camp Mustache [Your City]?? Suggestions wanted!
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:31:42 PM »
We're looking at planning more Camp Mustache events, across the U.S. (Edit: And outside, at reasonable distances. That's a likely "sorry" to Australia, for now. But maybe in the future.)

Where do you think the best place(s) would be to hold an event?

Please post suggestions in this thread! (General geographic areas, at least a city or slightly broader, or even specific locations--campgrounds or whatever.  An entire state is too broad of a suggestion.)

Cheers!  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:37:59 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache [Your City]?? Suggestions wanted!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 08:40:27 PM »
Some potentials already under investigation:
Cabo (Mexico)
Vancouver Island (Canada)

Other suggestions that have occurred in discussions around expanding Camp Mustache:
D.C.
Chicago
Colorado (somewhere?)

And current ones that already exist:
Seattle
Toronto
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:45:18 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »
I know there's a TON of bay area mustachians... maybe somewhere in those parts? Bay area or Southern Cali? It would certainly have an interesting "flavor" I imagine =)

jordanread

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »
I'm toying with the idea of Baja...but will probably work on Colorado first.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »
Work is not needed at this point, just suggestions! :)

Where in CO?

Or do you mean the one 1500 proposed?

jordanread

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 09:50:25 AM »
Work is not needed at this point, just suggestions! :)

Where in CO?

Or do you mean the one 1500 proposed?

Oh, the work is for my own benefit. I'll probably be reaching out to you a bit later for suggestions. It's more general guidelines that may wind up being of use to someone besides me.

And for the Colorado one, I'm debating on making my own and playing support to 1500. I'm really good at stepping on toes, so I'm trying to avoid it.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:31:52 AM »
There are a lot of us in Chicago, it seems, although we don't do local meetups at the moment as far as I know.

Airfare to Chicago is relatively affordable, and it's pretty centrally located.  Hotels are $$$, AirBnBing entire houses is a possible option, or maybe renting out the entire Pilsen Art House.  Good camping can be had within an hour drive of O'Hare.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 10:32:17 AM »
Arkansas Lots of national forest and national parks

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
Where?

Edited first post to clarify a state is way too broad of a suggestion (CO or AR are great, I'm sure, but not much of a starting point for research, otherwise I could just start with a list of the 50 states )

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 11:04:01 AM »
So many Bay Area mustachians, I'd suggest Lake Tahoe area or Yosemite/Sonora area.  There are lots of less expensive spots in the Sierras that are not as expensive as the major resort areas. 

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 01:34:46 PM »
CMC West: Rockies Edition - 2019 or 2020? 

Would have to track down the most cost effective location between Golden - Lake Louise - Banff - Kananaskis areas. 

Flights would be to Calgary, AB - there are lots of buses or car rentals available from there.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
CMC Buffalo National River Arkansas

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »
And also, you didn't specifically ask this but having one that would be kid friendly would be a HUGE plus. Maybe just one that is targeted at families so there will be other children there but it doesn't have to have childcare.  We had to drop out of CM PNW because we just couldn't swing it with our 5 & 2 year olds.  Yes I know people suggest leaving them with grandparents, etc but a lot of people do not have that option.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »
People have brought kids to CM (we have ourselves, though a little one).  Childcare options have been discussed for CMs as well.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 07:09:09 AM »
There is also Camp Mustache SE in Gainesville.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 07:27:08 AM »

That was run as a Camp Mustache originally, but it is no longer. It is a Camp FI.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »

That was run as a Camp Mustache originally, but it is no longer. It is a Camp FI.

Camp Mustache = break-even/non-profit

Camp FI = Potential for profit/profit intended

Is this correct?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 10:35:01 AM »

Is this correct?

This is my understanding of the key difference, yes.

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 11:04:55 AM »
Camp Mustache Big Bear Lake California ;-). Probably too difficult to get to for most people though.

I'd be down for this, and would be an easy sell for my wife. Idyllwild is quiet and nice, too.

Also, anything between San Diego and LA has my vote.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 11:58:10 AM »
Lake Tahoe.

LadyDividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Lady Dividend
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 12:08:48 PM »

Seattle
Toronto

Toronto please! I don't see an active event listed.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 12:25:56 PM »

Is this correct?

Yep! We keep a list of "official" CM's on our website: https://campmustache.weebly.com/camp_mustache_guiding_principles.html

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »

Seattle
Toronto

Toronto please! I don't see an active event listed.

It happened two weeks ago. The next one is scheduled for the end of next September (2018--one of the last two weekends, exact dates TBD). See this thread for details:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?topic=80643.0

justchecking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
It would be great to have one on the east coast.  Selfishly I would say have it in New Haven, Ct because it is much cheaper for space than NYC or Boston and you could still pull from both those cities and the surrounding areas, but in all honesty I would make the trip to anywhere in the Northeast within reason to attend.  There are a lot of us out here and it would be nice to get the other coast mustachians together. 

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 01:01:04 PM »
I would love to see something in Southeast or nearby.  Suggestions:

New Orleans
Austin
Gulf Shores (AL)
Pensacola (FL)

Happy in Paradise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Southern California!!
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 12:36:06 AM »
Thank you for initiating this thread! I am dying to meet other mustachians in my area. So much in fact, that I started my own thread under meetups to start an LA/OC group (Cali acronyms for Los Angeles and Orange County).

I live in Manhattan Beach (Coastal LA), and would be open to anywhere from San Diego to Los Angeles proper. Weekend dates preferred please!

I would also be open to travel to the following cities:
Austin, TX
Coastal parts of the south
Most any place with a large body of water nearby :)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 01:15:55 AM »
I’ve been thinking of organizing a camp mustache Alaska for a little while now. I can’t seem to make it work to attend any other ones outside yet. The anchorage area would be the logical choice as it’s the population center. My initial thought is to make it a group camping trip if that won’t scare people off. That would work best in the summer. If we wanted to have it in the city winter would be the mustachian time lodging is much cheaper. It’s hard to argue for Alaska over Cabo in January though... still trying to figure out if there is any chance we can make that one.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 06:03:00 AM »
(Mostly) posting to follow. But if there were going to be one in Europe, Germany has some nice spots. :)  (And also a lot of old monsteries and cloisters that have been repurposed as "meeting hotels" (somewhere in between hostels and hotels, generally) that might be suitable for the purpose)

Systems101

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 09:36:10 PM »

I forget what thread it was in but for an East coast location, Asheville, NC was tossed out as an idea a while ago.  Maybe something just outside of that like Brevard (or really Pisgah Forest)... Looking Glass Rock, Moore Cove Falls all a quick jaunt in a vehicle (yes, walking would be nicer, but...); not sure if anything outside of Asheville itself has scale needed to host an event though since I don't have experience with the area.

Then thinking about things that can host an event while having direct access to the outdoors, which is part of what I like from the logs I see of the original CM, I can think of two:

One option with direct outdoors is around Boone, NC.  App State U in town gives the place some scale (but it's still small town), and something down near Blowing Rock would have walking access to the Glen Burnie Trail (since it starts practically in town).  There are a few places in the area that can handle conference type scale.  Getting in and out by air/car is a bit of a jaunt (e.g. just over 2 hours to Charlotte, NC), but doable.

If you are looking for something further north, doing something around Letchworth State Park in NY is possible - look up the Glen Iris Inn... and that's just over an hour out of Rochester, NY, so at least there is decent access by air (or Buffalo, where flying is often cheaper than Rochester).

Note in both of these latter locations are places (single company) that are mixes of hotels and cabin/suite/condo/house where the latter have kitchens, et al... so there are opportunities where part of the group can act as a form of host for smaller groups for various dinners/other meals and not having to go crazy on restaurants if there was desire to do that as part of the event.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »
CMC West: Rockies Edition - 2019 or 2020? 

Would have to track down the most cost effective location between Golden - Lake Louise - Banff - Kananaskis areas. 

Flights would be to Calgary, AB - there are lots of buses or car rentals available from there.

Seconded!

I'm not sure what kind of space would be required, but there are many many options for different camp sites/group lodges etc. in the area.

Deanna_Phoenix_Life_Unscripted

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 09:06:32 AM »
Anywhere in the South East would be awesome!  I live in Phoenix, but I'd travel to Southern Cali or Colorado.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 09:16:30 AM »
I'll toss in Milwaukee, we're cheaper than Chicago and The Goblin Chief lives here. 

Come in Summer or early Fall.

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 11:03:42 AM »
I would love to see something in Southeast or nearby.  Suggestions:

New Orleans
Austin
Gulf Shores (AL)
Pensacola (FL)

Austin would be a great spot.  People can get there easily from Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston and San Antonio.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 06:04:11 AM »
I'll toss in Milwaukee, we're cheaper than Chicago and The Goblin Chief lives here. 

Come in Summer or early Fall.

September is by far the best month here most years. Something in between Milwaukee and Chicago would probably be ideal (cheaper than the big city but close enough that distance travelers have the cheaper flights) but I've got way too much on my plate to even think about organizing.

Would gladly attend and/or speak at one around here if the dates worked.

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2017, 11:31:52 AM »
Southern California, Big Bear is nice as someone else previously recommended.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 12:46:41 PM »

Is this correct?

Having gone to the FL one from CA, it was very exhausting to do 2 cross country flights over a short weekend. I probably wouldn't do that again. I would go in the future if it's nearby where I live. Currently that's Phoenix, but many parts of CA, NV or NM would also be close enough.

Prescott Pines could be an interesting place. would be a 2 hour drive from either Phoenix or Flagstaff.

https://prescottpines.org/request-a-quote/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:02:33 PM by tj »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »
We're looking at planning more Camp Mustache events, across the U.S. (Edit: And outside, at reasonable distances. That's a likely "sorry" to Australia, for now. But maybe in the future.)

Please post suggestions in this thread! (General geographic areas, at least a city or slightly broader, or even specific locations--campgrounds or whatever.  An entire state is too broad of a suggestion.)

Cheers!  :)

When you say "we" do you mean that there are some wonderful people who are just waiting for miustashians to suggest places so that they can organise an event there??? THIS IS AWESOME!!! I can understand that those people would not want to organise something in Australia or even Europe, because they wouldn't be very aware of local conditions.

However, if these people have worked out a checklist of what needs to be done and other stuff that can be helpful to local committees, even if they are in Australia (or Europe), that could be awesome too, especially if it allowed local organisers to devote less time to the organisation of the event itself..

Personally, having been to a few live-in mustashian events, I really think they are wonderful things to attend, and everyone should want to go to one. However, one of my joys in these things is that each has been organised slightly differently, because they have each been organised by a local group, or people with a different flavour. I understand that there has been an "all women" one, and I cannot see why there couldn't be a "people bringing their children" one. We are a diverse community, each with different ideas about what we want, and different CMs will hopefully allow a broader section of the MMM community to attend joyfully.

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 03:25:46 PM »

I would be interested in this! Devil's Den State Park could also be nice.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 03:44:21 PM »
When you say "we" do you mean that there are some wonderful people who are just waiting for miustashians to suggest places so that they can organise an event there??? THIS IS AWESOME!!!

Yes, basically.

Local run, grass roots ones are ideal as well (CM Toronto is an excellent example of this), but given that CM Seattle has been run for years (3.5 years, for 4 total events) and the first spinoffs only happened this year (Camp Mustache SE, which now--going forward--is not a Camp Mustache, and Camp Mustache Toronto), it doesn't appear that this homegrown idea is happening too often.

Given that, we're hoping to launch a few more CMs around the country, ones that may eventually be passed off to local organizers (once they see how feasible it is).  :)

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 07:37:25 PM »
I'd like to toss out St. Joseph/South Haven, Michigan. The area is super drivable from O'Hare, has some great camping spots, and there's wine and blueberries all over the place in the summer. Plus, there's a really big lake.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2017, 06:02:00 AM »
I'd like to toss out St. Joseph/South Haven, Michigan. The area is super drivable from O'Hare, has some great camping spots, and there's wine and blueberries all over the place in the summer. Plus, there's a really big lake.

That is a really pretty area. I have family on a farm near Paw Paw and spent many, many weekends there growing up.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 11:02:33 AM »
Would love a UK one....somewhere scenic for the weekend and accessible to lots of people.  Going to add on the UK board and see what sort or response I'd get...

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 11:25:13 AM »
I'm definitely interested in attending if there's one reasonably close by. Milwaukee would work well for me, but Chicago would certainly be doable as well.  I haven't paid a ton of attention to the others that have been held- what's the ballpark price per attendee, and what does the ticket price cover? Participation cost would definitely affect how far I'd be feasibly willing/able to travel.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2017, 11:49:17 AM »
Would love a UK one....somewhere scenic for the weekend and accessible to lots of people.  Going to add on the UK board and see what sort or response I'd get...

The first UK Chautauqua was held this year, so doing a Camp Mustache seems feasible as well. :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2017, 06:45:21 AM »
I'm definitely interested in attending if there's one reasonably close by. Milwaukee would work well for me, but Chicago would certainly be doable as well.  I haven't paid a ton of attention to the others that have been held- what's the ballpark price per attendee, and what does the ticket price cover? Participation cost would definitely affect how far I'd be feasibly willing/able to travel.

I don't know what the Seattle one has cost, but the Canadian one was a bit over $200 in USD.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2017, 07:26:57 AM »
PTF

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2017, 07:47:16 AM »
Seattle was $425, but was one night longer. It was a bit more per night, but not egregiously so, just varies due to amenities offered* and geographic location.

*Seattle provides bedding, for example. Baja may be all inclusive including alcohol, and set on a beach. So it'll depend. 

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2017, 07:48:39 AM »

The first UK Chautauqua was held this year, so doing a Camp Mustache seems feasible as well. :)

Happy times - I saw the Chautauqua, but was shall we say, very on the pricy side!

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 08:13:20 AM »

I would be interested in this! Devil's Den State Park could also be nice.

Another Arkansan here. Just moved here, so I'm not super familiar with the area yet, but I have been to Devil's Den. Cool place.

Fayetteville (college town - University of Arkansas) seems to have a pretty good bike culture, though this is just as viewed from the periphery. Lots of good mountain biking trails so I'm told. Also an excellent public library.

A couple of other cool hikes we've been on: Hawksbill Crag (Whitaker Point) is apparently kind of the poster child of the Ozarks, and Eden Falls has a cave (actually a couple of them, but one of them you climb/crawl back into).

What kind of venue do you tend to be looking for when you run one of these?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 08:57:33 AM »
What kind of venue do you tend to be looking for when you run one of these?

Two main requirements:
1. Can house 50ish people
2. Food included (including vegetarian options)

Other useful things:
3. Reasonably close (An hour? Two?) to a major airport.
4. Nature-y.