Author Topic: **Camp Mustache Returns... Sold out**  (Read 52940 times)

scrubbyfish

Re: **Camp Mustache Returns... Save the Date!**
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
This one's out of my comfy price range (would come to just under $1000 after passport renewals, transportation, tickets, etc) but I wanted to say a big thanks to the organizers for giving forum members a chance to ponder the logistics and buy before posting it more publicly. I think that was really thoughtful and kind! It's great if the folks in regular communication with each other have a possibility of meeting!

PilotsWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2015, 12:55:18 PM »
Wow. $425 for three nights? Am I the only one who thinks this is a little Anti-Mustachian? I would really love to go to this, but it would wipe out my entire travel budget for the year. I really respect all that the organizers have done, but this is just way more than I could consider paying. :/

If you decide to do day passes, I would definitely be interested. I hope you all have a great time!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:01:36 PM by PilotsWife »

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
Unfortunately it's not in the budget right now, but maybe next year.  However, if the organizers need a recommendation for an exceptional nanny, our former one lives near there and might be interested in making some extra money.

SeaG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2015, 01:05:35 PM »
Yeah I thought this would be a real camping weekend like sleeping in tents and cooking our own food ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2015, 09:16:02 AM »
Wow. $425 for three nights?

Yeah, it's not for someone in hair on fire debt, but 425 for 3 nights of lodging plus all food, and some entertainment, it works out to be a decent deal compared to a hotel or whatever other vacation you might be taking.

Honestly I looked at the price (higher this year than last because it's 3 nights instead of 2) and debated: is it worth it for 850 for both of us?  That's a decent chunk of change.  And we've met a lot of the people, etc. It's not necessarily new and novel, like it would be for a first time attendee.

Then I remembered how much I enjoyed last year and my wife said what are we gonna remember in 10 years. A few dollars or the weekend?  We still talk about how fun last year was.

Thinking about it took all of 3 seconds.  I'm in!

I don't know anyone else's financial situation, but for us it was well worth it.  If I hadn't attended, but knew how fun it was, I'd absolutely be going.

(Being able to travel hack free flights helps too. If anyone is coming and needs help with this, feel free to post and we'll get your travel done free or super cheap.)

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2015, 09:28:29 AM »
All signed up! Wishing I wasn't going to be taking such a hit because of the exchange rate, but looking forward to meeting everyone :)

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
The website mentions 4 day, 3 night - assuming the majority of activities are Sat/Sun, will there be anything scheduled Monday, and is there an end time on Monday?

Looks like I could attend for less than 15,000 southwest points, if I fly back at 3:40pm Monday.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:43:43 AM by kudy »

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2015, 12:24:15 PM »
I appreciate the discussion on price.  Seattle is a high COL area.  The organizers spent a long time looking for a site for the retreat for a decent price (many places were already booked for Memorial Day weekend).  We did consider tent camping and bringing our own food, however, the weather in the Pacific NW is unpredictable.  We didn't want people to be disappointed if they came all the way out and had to sit in a soggy tent.  We feel that the price is a good representation for everything it includes.  We understand that if your hair is on fire you might need to pass on this event.

Kudy, we don't have a set agenda yet for Monday, however, I do know that we will have something going on in the morning and we will leave after lunch.  It will take you about 45 minutes to get to the airport (maybe allow a little more time since it's Memorial Day).

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »
Awesome!

Has there been any discussion about group transport to the airport? I have no idea what the cheapest option would be for transport to/from airport - car rental/uber/cab/etc.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
Kudy, last year people organized transportation with a yahoo group we created.  We didn't really like the format for yahoo groups, so this year Yolfer created a website with a private forum.  When you get the information about the website (probably some time this week), you can create a post about organizing transportation.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2015, 09:48:42 PM »
Awesome! Just booked.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2015, 09:56:24 PM »
My wife and I (and junior) are also in.

We were initially going to pass as it seemed a little rich for our blood as well, but after reading the rave reviews from people who went last year, we decided we'd splurge and combine this weekend with a trip to Seattle that we have been wanting to make for a while anyways.

At almost $1000 for a weekend for 2.5 people, I'd go further than saying it's not for people with hair on fire debt, and that I'd only consider it if you are richer than you think you need to be and like to indulge. The opportunity cost is huge: you could be plowing it into your retirement, kid's 529, or decide you want to spend a whole week in Costa Rica instead :)

Griping about cost aside, I do want to thank the organizers for putting this together. Given the location and type of venue, I unfortunately understand why the weekend costs what it does.

For just two people, it might be easy enough with some planning to spend a very cheap or "free" weekend in Seattle, but I assume it is harder to find a suitable event venue that would take payment in points and miles from 50 people :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:08:27 PM by CanuckExpat »

scrubbyfish

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2015, 10:01:40 PM »
I'd go further than saying it's not for people with hair on fire debt, and that I'd only consider it if you are richer than you think you need to be and like to indulge.

Oh, thank you for saying that, CanuckExpat! This is where I'm coming from. No hair on fire, no debt whatsoever, excellent savings... just not richer than I think I need to be and with responsibilities to a young dependent. It would feel very irresponsible of me to spend this, in my situation. Thanks for getting that :)   And have FUN!!!!!!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2015, 07:33:17 AM »
I would like to attend (although the introvert in me would not).  :)

However, I will probably be teaching both Friday and Monday (yep--we will not get Memorial Day off).  Also, though the price seems fair to me for everything that is included, I can't justify spending that much money--especially since I would miss a good bit of it.

I hope there will be a Camp Mustache III next year!

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
 I'm going to sign up and combine the trip with regular vacation travel. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »
The exchange rate will hurt any Canucks who want to attend...it's not the ONLY reason I won't be attending this year, but it's a factor. My wife and I have pretty much decided that any excess funds we have will be funnelled into our "cottage building fund". Even though our finances might be enviable to some, as Scrubbyfish suggests, $1000 is not an insignificant hit. That will pay for some windows in our little abode. ;)

Hope it's a success - it does indeed sound like fun. One day...but not this year.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2015, 08:36:37 PM »
Man I'd love to go, but it's not in the budget considering I'll be spending two weeks in Korea and Japan in April.

I'd go if the flight didn't cost so much. The cost of the flight ATL <-> SEA more than doubles my cost. And while I do have some US Airways miles, I'm saving them for a trip to Peru in the off season, once they become AA miles.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
Hopefully some of us unable to attend this one will become as inspired, organized, and methodical as the Awesome Folks who created this one and set a few more up in our respective regions! There can be Camp Mustache Luxe, Camp Mustache Lite...   And if we BCers can get it together, our American friends can attend our tenting version practically FREE with the current exchange rate :)

In any case, it even gives me warm happies to imagine ANYone meeting up, so I think I'm already benefiting from this one.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 03:49:06 PM »
For those of us contemplating this, can someone(s) give me a example of the appealing nature the Camp Mustache?

How much better is this than a local meet and greet in your area?

Particularly, I'm from the Seattle area and have hiked all over the Olympic National Rainforest. Been there, done that. It's a weekend $150 adventure for me/friends. So the experience for others coming from different locations will likely be more anticipated then what it is for me. I'm not downplaying the location at all mind you, it's just something I've done before.

The dynamic that appeals to me however is surrounding myself with likeminded people that all appreciate and understand my financial goals/aspirations. Validation in droves from others that share the same appreciation of the "badassity of financial independence".

Driving to the location is cheap and easy for me (90min or less). However, the $425 price tag singes the hair a bit when multiplied by 2 for my wonderful wife and I. It's affordable in non-mustachian terms (have the money on hand), but...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 04:01:03 PM »
For those of us contemplating this, can someone(s) give me a example of the appealing nature the Camp Mustache?

How much better is this than a local meet and greet in your area?

It's several days of bonding and intense, high level conversation with other people who actually get you.

The value of that probably depends on how much of it you already have in your life.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »
Bigalsmith101, I think you should come.  You sound like an interesting person that would be fun to meet.  I think something that set Camp Mustache apart from some of the local meet ups I have been to is the amount of information I was able to acquire in a short amount of time from a variety of different "experts".  For example, I have been networking with a person I met skilled in travel hacking and she is helping me to save $2700 on airline tickets alone. I learn better from participating in a discussion because I can have questions answered instantly, hear a variety of perspectives, and remember the conversations later on.  It was also worth it to meet MMM because he is the one who started this whole community. 

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2015, 07:16:53 PM »
I did it!!!  Booked:)

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2015, 03:34:55 AM »
Booked! I'm so glad I caught it this time around, I was so disappointed it was sold out by the time I heard about it last year. Yay, I'm excited!! :)

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2015, 10:10:55 PM »
Tami!  I'm glad you can make it!  Last year a lot of people were bummed you weren't there.  It's going to be fun to meet you.  I used to read your journal and always admired your determination.  See you in a few months!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »
Ihamo: I asked about day passes in the beginning of this thread because we travel in our RV with 4 dogs so don't need lodging & was told no.

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2015, 05:03:30 PM »
Question, how many people per room? Min & Max?

Also, how far is the venue from the nearest airport?  Thank you.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2015, 06:12:02 PM »
It looks to be around North Bend, WA which is about 40 minutes from Seatac International (SEA)

tomeppy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »
This sounds like a blast. From those who attended last year, how much would a newbie to MMM get out of this? It sounds like it would be a great way to fast track some knowledge and learn from others, but also don't want to be too far behind. Just curious to get some thoughts.

Cheers!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2015, 12:00:03 PM »
This sounds like a blast. From those who attended last year, how much would a newbie to MMM get out of this? It sounds like it would be a great way to fast track some knowledge and learn from others, but also don't want to be too far behind. Just curious to get some thoughts.

If you can afford it (aren't in hair on fire mode), a TON, I'd think, learning how other people have progressed on their journey, getting inspiration and ideas, etc.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »
So just to be clear, there is no day pass option? We live ~30 minutes away and would love to meet other like minded folks.

Edit: bummer, just saw the FAQ.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:51:36 PM by celticmyst08 »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2015, 04:30:23 PM »
So just to be clear, there is no day pass option?

I liked the idea of a day pass last year, but after attending the event, I agree with the decision to not offer them;  It really does make a difference having people all there for the whole camp, getting to know them and chat a bunch and create that connection/bond, rather than have new people show up for just part of a day.  It's a different type of experience.  It is a bummer for those that live close though that drive over and sleep at the camp for three nights rather than at home (which would save you money and maybe be more comfortable).  But you'll get a much more immersive experience.  And think about the upside: yeah, you pay for the camp, but you have almost no travel costs, compared to those of us paying to travel and paying for the camp.  :)

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2015, 09:18:07 PM »
Question, how many people per room? Min & Max?

Also, how far is the venue from the nearest airport?  Thank you.

There will be no more than 3 people per room.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »
I just heard that the Mad Fientist is coming  I hope he can help my husband and I settle the debate between a Roth IRA and a traditional. 

leontager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2015, 12:06:46 AM »
sweet just bought my ticket. I'm very excited.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2015, 09:28:07 AM »
Tami!  I'm glad you can make it!  Last year a lot of people were bummed you weren't there.  It's going to be fun to meet you.  I used to read your journal and always admired your determination.  See you in a few months!

I feel special:)  LOL.  Yeah, I had shared a lot of private stuff on my journals and since I had turned so many darn people over to MMM like coworkers and my boss I had it removed.  I certainly miss the support and feedback.  I'm working hard and will maybe post some on other topics.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2015, 11:09:17 AM »
I liked the idea of a day pass last year, but after attending the event, I agree with the decision to not offer them;  It really does make a difference having people all there for the whole camp, getting to know them and chat a bunch and create that connection/bond, rather than have new people show up for just part of a day.  It's a different type of experience.  It is a bummer for those that live close though that drive over and sleep at the camp for three nights rather than at home (which would save you money and maybe be more comfortable).  But you'll get a much more immersive experience.  And think about the upside: yeah, you pay for the camp, but you have almost no travel costs, compared to those of us paying to travel and paying for the camp.  :)

Fair enough! I do understand the reasoning, it's just still a bummer. Unfortunately we can't really justify spending $850 on this right now when we have a 2 week vacation + Christmas travels to pay for this year. But perhaps next time! :)

molluskunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2015, 06:17:36 PM »
Went to buy my ticket and saw that it's now sold out :(

If anyone has a ticket they'd like to offload, please get in touch with me! I'm in Seattle (First Hill)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2015, 06:30:55 PM »
It only indicates the Adult tickets being sold out... We can all still send our kids for the weekend!

;)

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2015, 07:14:15 PM »

If anyone has a ticket they'd like to offload, please get in touch with me! I'm in Seattle (First Hill)

Hang on, I think we have a few tickets left.  I'll let you know once I know for sure.

SandyBoxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2015, 08:26:17 PM »
Hopefully some of us unable to attend this one will become as inspired, organized, and methodical as the Awesome Folks who created this one and set a few more up in our respective regions! There can be Camp Mustache Luxe, Camp Mustache Lite...   And if we BCers can get it together, our American friends can attend our tenting version practically FREE with the current exchange rate :)

Ooohh, ^^^THIS^^^ would be amazing!  Us BCers should definitely get it together...I suppose that would require less lurking and more participation on my part though!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2015, 01:39:48 AM »

MMM didn't even post about it yet, did he?  Crazy that it sold out without that!

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2015, 08:51:59 AM »
It looks like there was a bug in the ticketing site and there are actually 9 left. 

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2015, 08:54:45 AM »
MMM didn't even post about it yet, did he?  Crazy that it sold out without that!

He posted it on Twitter.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2015, 11:03:47 AM »

He posted it on Twitter.

Ah.  I don't really do the twitter thing.  Makes sense.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2015, 05:48:18 PM »
So I told the boss that I wouldn't work weekends anymore and she said fine.  Two weeks later she says it is not fair to other employees and that I have to pick either Saturday or Sunday to work.  I won't work weekends anymore.  I've been doing it for six years and I don't need to with my other income coming in.  I told her I wasn't even sure I was staying, she said that her position was I had to work a weekend day.  We walked away from each other.  This has been a long time coming and things are coming to a head.  I may no longer have this job as a source of income.  If this is the case - I can no longer afford to go on this trip.  I'll be out the cost of the ticket and the money I could make on this popular boarding weekend.  I hate to do this, and I really want to go, but I think I have to pass the ticket on.  I'm emailing regarding the waiting list, but wanted to leave this as a heads up to others who may be interested.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:44:26 PM by Tami1982 »

imustachemystash

• Bristles
Re: **Camp Mustache Returns... 5 tickets left**
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2015, 10:04:19 PM »
Good news! When we fixed the bug in the ticketing site we realized there are 5 tickets left for Camp Mustache. 

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »
And I am looking to sell mine too if anyone is interested.

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2015, 01:17:58 PM »
Any chance any of the presentations or discussions will be made available via web streaming, power points, or some other format after the event is over?  The trip is a bit outside of my price range, but would love to watch/read up on whatever ideas/advice/strategies are presented or discussed.     

imustachemystash

• Bristles
Re: **Camp Mustache Returns... Sold Out! Get on the waiting list**
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2015, 05:56:39 PM »
So we are sold out, but a few people who bought tickets want to sell theirs.  Contact us at campmustache@gmail.com to get on the waiting list  and you will probably get a spot.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2015, 10:22:58 PM »
Any chance any of the presentations or discussions will be made available via web streaming, power points, or some other format after the event is over?  The trip is a bit outside of my price range, but would love to watch/read up on whatever ideas/advice/strategies are presented or discussed.   

Gotta be honest with you and say the odds of us doing this are pretty slim. We're doing this as a non-profit, all volunteer-led so we don't have much resources to devote to audio/visual setups, youtube, etc.

However, if attendees wish to film the sessions they attend, and (with the consent of those they film) post the footage online, we won't stop them. Same goes for presenters posting their materials online, but the breakout sessions are pretty chillax so few (if any) people are preparing materials.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!