Author Topic: The Australian Credit Card/Bank Acct Sign Up Bonuses/Offers/Deals Thread  (Read 33797 times)

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
Victorians can get a $50 rebate for comparing their energy on the government’s comparison site https://compare.energy.vic.gov.au/

You don’t need to switch, just search. Free money for something you should be doing every now and then anyway!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Ratesetter are doing a bonus for new sign-ups again. I have a code that gets us both $75 if you put $2k in the 3 or 5 yr loan markets. We've got 10% of our stache invested with them and we're pretty happy.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
Victorians can get a $50 rebate for comparing their energy on the government’s comparison site https://compare.energy.vic.gov.au/

You don’t need to switch, just search. Free money for something you should be doing every now and then anyway!

I had a look, because we are going to be users of Victorian energy in about 3 weeks time.  The site gave us the best deals for electricity and gas based on our projections of usage, but I didn't see any rebate offer come up.  Does anyone know if it is just for those that are current users, or am I doing it wrong?

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just last week I signed up.
Edit: I didn't look at the date on the post. The referral bonus may not be there any more, but a $75 sign-up bonus is.
Can I share a referral bonus?

Will delete if not allowed

Free $100 for you and me if you sign up for an ING bank account using referral code CIY527

- when opening a new orange every day account and depositing at least $1000 per calendar month within any month before 28/02/2018
- And opening a savings maximiser account by 28/02/2018
- And using their card to make 5 or more purchases

As an added bonus no international transaction fees when using the card overseas and no ATM fees worldwide
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:17:08 PM by sanderh »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian

I had a look, because we are going to be users of Victorian energy in about 3 weeks time.  The site gave us the best deals for electricity and gas based on our projections of usage, but I didn't see any rebate offer come up.  Does anyone know if it is just for those that are current users, or am I doing it wrong?
Did it yesterday. Big notice on the top of the front page. Put in data. Big notice in orange on the top of the page where you get the rebate.

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
Re: The Australian Credit Card/Bank Acct Sign Up Bonuses/Offers/Deals Thread
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2018, 12:23:24 AM »
Westpac - 120k points possible
Annual fee waived
BOOOM

https://www.westpac.com.au/personal-banking/credit-cards/reward/

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2018, 02:52:36 AM »
Annual fee waived
BOOOM

Oh fuck yes!

Now I just need to come up with $6,000 of expenses to put on the card in three months!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2018, 03:03:08 AM »
Annual fee waived
BOOOM

Oh fuck yes!

Now I just need to come up with $6,000 of expenses to put on the card in three months!

Ahh hang on a minute... I see they are waiving the fee for the Amex, but not on the MasterCard/Visa? Still have to pay $250 + $50 to link it to Qantas FF points... have I got that right?

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2018, 08:47:56 PM »
Yeah looks like it Marty. So that makes the 80,000 with the Amex free (might have linking fee)($3000 spend in 3 months....can be tricky with Amex depending on your bills etc without incurring transaction fees), or 40,000 with Visa for $250 (same spends). The latter is a bit expensive and I don't think quite worth it (its getting close to the cost ratio for purchasing cheap airfares...still probably cheaper...but I'm in this for better ratios than that hehe).

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »
Altitude Platinum credit card
$0 fee and 60k points on the same link

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2018, 08:17:24 PM »
Annual fee waived
BOOOM

Ooh, and I see the offer has been extended till late November! Sensational, cause I’m on the 12 month ban from the last time I had one till Sept 30th.
Great news!!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2018, 07:58:51 PM »

Did it yesterday. Big notice on the top of the front page. Put in data. Big notice in orange on the top of the page where you get the rebate.

I did this today as I got my first Victorian power and gas bill.  Just a reminder to everyone else to get your free $50

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
Annual fee waived
BOOOM

Feeling a little out-of-touch here, but what do you do with the points.  I was thinking of signing up for one of these as we will hit the expenses required easily in the next few months.  (House rebuild under way) Where can I use 120,000 points?  Can I redeem them for cash?  Can I use them for flights?

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
I was able to redeem mine for Coles gift vouchers, which to me are cash equivalent)I redirect my grocery budget to whatever I want the money for).

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2018, 08:41:13 PM »
I was able to redeem mine for Coles gift vouchers, which to me are cash equivalent)I redirect my grocery budget to whatever I want the money for).

Ah.  That makes sense then.  I will look further into it.  Haven't had a credit card for, well, forever. 

lush

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2018, 05:57:45 PM »
I signed up for the ANZ Black Rewards card about two years ago and got the bonus 75000 QFF, then cancelled it before the fee was due about a year ago. I'm looking around for a new card and I see this offer is available again (or still?). Has anyone had one of these cards, cancelled and then applied for it again? I don't want to apply if it will be rejected because I previously had one, and then get a black mark on my rating.

Hi Ozbeach,  I am curious about how you got away with cancelling the card and not pay the annual fee but used the bonus points. I would have thought that would not be ok? In other words they would still charge you the annual fee upon cancellation.  Thanks.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2018, 06:16:14 PM »
I signed up for the ANZ Black Rewards card about two years ago and got the bonus 75000 QFF, then cancelled it before the fee was due about a year ago. I'm looking around for a new card and I see this offer is available again (or still?). Has anyone had one of these cards, cancelled and then applied for it again? I don't want to apply if it will be rejected because I previously had one, and then get a black mark on my rating.

Hi Ozbeach,  I am curious about how you got away with cancelling the card and not pay the annual fee but used the bonus points. I would have thought that would not be ok? In other words they would still charge you the annual fee upon cancellation.  Thanks.

I think ozbeach means the annual fee for the next year. They often have the offer with no annual fee for the first year

lush

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2018, 04:40:50 PM »

I think ozbeach means the annual fee for the next year. They often have the offer with no annual fee for the first year
Exactly right -- the first year was fee-free, and the QFF points were credited after spending the required amount in the first three months. I called and cancelled in month ten before the next year's annual fee was charged.

Ok - thanks!

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2018, 03:26:33 PM »
Just closed my ANZ Black card - my first experiment with rewards offers. I made around $400, which could have been more if I had shifted my direct debits over and made a conscious effort to spend on that card but I am lazy :)

Overall worth it, but I would have been more impressed with the ROI if I hadn't of had to attend a branch for the ID check.

Thinking about the Westpac Platinum next - no annual fee with 60k points equivalent to $250 Mastercard gift cards. 

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2018, 02:54:22 AM »
CUA is having a refer a friend offer where we both get $75 if you become a member and open one of their high interest accounts. You have to deposit $2k and jump through a couple of hoops but if you were thinking of banking with them, let me know!

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2018, 06:54:53 PM »
I'm headed back to Uni next year (and unemployed at the moment...about to start casual work as a carer) to do a Masters in Nursing.

I'm currently on the ANZ Black, and have about a month to cancel it and get a new card.

Any tips on cards for students on Austudy, with basically no fee, but still earning some QFF or Virgin points?

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2018, 08:46:25 PM »
I'm headed back to Uni next year (and unemployed at the moment...about to start casual work as a carer) to do a Masters in Nursing.

I'm currently on the ANZ Black, and have about a month to cancel it and get a new card.

Any tips on cards for students on Austudy, with basically no fee, but still earning some QFF or Virgin points?

I'm using a Qantas Cash mastercard. It's intended for when you travel - you preload in a nominated currency before you go overseas. But, you can load it with AU$ and use it here. You get 1 QFF point for every $4 spent, so it's not brilliant; but there are no fees or charges. It is a debit card though, not credit, so you have to be vigilant in keeping it topped up.

Hmm, good to know about that. I'm more keen on a credit card; I have a mortgage so it helps offset some interest

annapana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »
Hi - looking to get a new credit card for bonus points - has anyone applied for a credit card with bonus points recently that I should consider ?

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2018, 04:50:35 PM »
Hi - looking to get a new credit card for bonus points - has anyone applied for a credit card with bonus points recently that I should consider ?

Check out creditcardcompare . com .au
They have excellent search tools in which you can choose which points scheme you prefer. Qantas and Virgin and generally the two most useful and with the best cards available to them from banks. Generally, you probably want to stick to Visa or Mastercard rather than Amex .... Moustachian people aren't likely to use Amex that much (not accepted everywhere).

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »
I like www.pointhacks.com.au for the best credit card sign on bonus offers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
Coles sent me an offer - sign up for any of their cards and get 20,000 flybuys points ($100) after one purchase. They have a no annual fee card so I can't see a downside.

potm

• Pencil Stache
Heads up for anyone earning membership rewards on an Amex. There’s a big devaluation coming at the end of next week so make sure you transfer your points out before then.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Just signed up for the St George 80,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points offer. Seemed a good deal for the $179 fee. Better than their stablemate Westpac was offering for a $250 fee.

Fully approved in 3 hours, not bad service at all.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Just signed up for the St George 80,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points offer. Seemed a good deal for the $179 fee. Better than their stablemate Westpac was offering for a $250 fee.

Fully approved in 3 hours, not bad service at all.

Where the hell is the smack my stupid head emoji?

Ok... so I paid an instalment towards my holiday on this card. Thinking in my mind I've met the minimum $4,000 spend....

I thought wrong.

I put it through as a BPAY transaction, which is excluded from earning FF points.

Called up the Bank, they said its excluded because the interchange fee is lower on BPAY transactions, so VISA won't give the points. Ignoring the fact Flight Centre charged me an additional merchant fee for the privilege of paying by credit card....

To be fair, the exclusion was quite clear in the fine print.

If you take a close look at the date of the post above, it is just more than 90 days, which means that I'm outside the period to correct my stuffup by paying another instalment.

So to sum up, FFS, I'm out $179 on the card, I've got no Frequent Flyer points out of this, and I took a hit to my credit score.

Read the damn fine print lol.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
that sucks @marty998  :(

I have just signed up to the commonwealth platinum diamonds card, need to spend $6000 by October 31, will make sure I go through all the fine print.

Where are you going on holiday?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
I'm off to South America at the end of this year. Galapagos, Peru and Bolivia.

Totally unmustachian.... but definitely going to be worth it.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
nice! I am going to Argentina, Antarctica and Chile in January (super unmustachian also but hopefully totally worth it) I have two weeks left at the end of the trip and trying to work out if I go to the Galapagos or somewhere a bit cheaper like Brazil or just explore a bit more of Chile

I went to Peru and Bolivia last year and they were amazing. I did struggle with the altitude a bit, but had a great time

marty998

• Walrus Stache
nice! I am going to Argentina, Antarctica and Chile in January (super unmustachian also but hopefully totally worth it) I have two weeks left at the end of the trip and trying to work out if I go to the Galapagos or somewhere a bit cheaper like Brazil or just explore a bit more of Chile

I went to Peru and Bolivia last year and they were amazing. I did struggle with the altitude a bit, but had a great time

Oh I'm sad to be missing those three (A, A and C).... the work schedule won't permit me taking any extra time though, and I get a bit antsy travelling any more than about 3 weeks.

Noted on the altitude, I've been given some good advice already on that.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
Are you hiking to Machu Picchu? I did the salkantay trek and felt really sick, most of the time I was ok otherwise.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
I had trouble with altitude in USA and Ecuador. I don't think I'll go to Machu Picchu. Pity, but there it is.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
I had trouble with altitude in USA and Ecuador. I don't think I'll go to Machu Picchu. Pity, but there it is.

Machu Picchu wasnt too bad, its not that high, Cusco was the issue for me, and then the trek up to Salkantay

marty998

• Walrus Stache
I just asked to do the long walking one to Machu Piccu.... I figure if you're going to go there you might as well do the full trek. No use getting the train there.

Aren't the Bolivia salt flats higher than Peru and Ecuador?

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
I did this trek to Machu Picchu as opposed to the "Inca Trail"

So I went up to about 4600m, the salt flats and La Paz are about 3600m, and I think Cusco town was about 3400m. Copacabana at lake Titicacca was about 3800m.

So I felt unwell in Cusco, but Machu Picchu is lower (about 2500m) so I felt a bit better there

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Love how they just casually drop in there that the Salkantay summit at 6,271m is only the 38th highest peak in the Andes.

Long way to fall down the mountain if you lose your footing :)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
Love how they just casually drop in there that the Salkantay summit at 6,271m is only the 38th highest peak in the Andes.

Long way to fall down the mountain if you lose your footing :)

It was a pretty steady climb, not too steep. But just a struggle with the lack of oxygen

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache

Take me with you?

marty998

• Walrus Stache

Take me with you?

Hey I'm not the one with a bajillion frequent flyer points :D

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
I've been holding off on the credit card game (didn't want to trash my credit when I was about to get a mortgage), but is there anything worthwhile out there at the moment?

Obviously the airline FF schemes are an interesting one given the situation with them.

Even the Coles cards?

Television

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've been holding off on the credit card game (didn't want to trash my credit when I was about to get a mortgage), but is there anything worthwhile out there at the moment?

Obviously the airline FF schemes are an interesting one given the situation with them.

Even the Coles cards?

I'm by no means an expert on these things, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I've got about 600k QANTAS points now, and I think soon enough I'll have the amount required for 2 x round the world tickets in business class. There's been a bit of faffing about, and I've just been plugging away at it for over 4 years, but for something which I think has cost me relatively little, it's worth it for a "once in a lifetime" experience.

I took card offers that came with my mortgage (so no fee), or had a heavy fee rebate, so I think all up I've probably paid about $700 in CC fees? But again, comparing that to the cost of those flights, pales in comparison.

@potm is quite astute at it, from reading their journal.

nofriends

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Anz QFF Platinum is the best one at the moment afaik, 60k qantas points and no annual fee for the 1st year.

Quick turnaround too with anz, 7 business days from applying to card received and that's with additional docs requested by the [offshore] credit assessment team

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2021, 05:41:55 AM »
Just signed myself and SO up for this Citibank card

https://www1.citibank.com.au/credit-cards/citi-rewards-bonus-points?intcid=Homepage-HeroCreative-Rewards-BP-90M-GiftCard

Allegedly $500 of gift cards for $50 annual fee, so $900 up for us as a household.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!