Author Topic: Superannuation transfer balance caps  (Read 1652 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Superannuation transfer balance caps
« on: March 18, 2023, 12:56:02 AM »
I’ve been thinking about transfer balance caps, and I’d like to have some discussion about their implications for the early retiree. I think I may be getting a bit confused, so I’d appreciate feedback no matter  whether you think I’m right or wrong.

When I started to draw down superannuation, there were no caps, and people were advised to withdraw what they wanted from superannuation (at least the minimum), and put back whatever they didn’t use as a non concessional contribution. This kept as much as you could in super and diluted the percentage of concessional vs non concessional contributions, so when you died, your estate would have less tax to pay on whatever remained (assuming it didn’t go to a dependent).

But then the caps came in in 2017. As I understand it, once your super goes into retirement/pension phase the ATO calculates your lifetime cap (let’s call it A) which was originally $1.6million, the amount you initially have in retirement/pension phase (B), and the difference between the two numbers (C = A - B). If C is negative, they send you a nastygram, and you have to do something else with that money.

A, B and C don’t change if you withdraw money, or if your retirement/pension account earns income from dividends etc.. However, whenever you add money (M) to it, B and C change. B = B + M and C = C - M. So C gets smaller.

The cap gets indexed by inflation, $100k at a time. Last year (?) inflation finally increased the balance cap, and it changed to $1.7million. If you started a retirement/pension account today, A would be $1.7million. However, if you already had a cap, it doesn’t increase by $100k.
Your new A = A + $100k x (A - C)/A

The less you have in super, the bigger your lifetime cap becomes. If you ever hit the cap, your cap will never increase.

Because inflation is growing, they expect the cap to increase by another $200k.

So what does that mean for the early retiree?

1. The old strategy of rolling the amount you don’t spend back into super each year seems to me to be a way to reach the cap, and to end up with a lower cap than you’d otherwise have.
2. Keeping investments that don’t earn much in accumulation phase will increase the cap.
3. Maybe early retirees shouldn’t worry about all this. After all, by definition we’re frugal, and exit employment early, so people may never have that much in super. This is especially true if you are a couple and each person has half of the accumulated super in their own account. The caps make it more sensible to ensure that each person has about half the super.
4. On the other hand, compound interest increases your money astoundingly, and it’s worth while thinking about this. Several Australians on the forum have expressed surprise at how much their superannuation has grown over the years. And it’s likely that, because we’re frugal, our super will grow after retirement.
5. Since early retirees probably don’t have much income after they’ve retired and before they can access super, and it’s fairly easy to put money into super after they’ve reached preservation age, maybe it’s better to delay making additional superannuation contributions until you reach preservation age.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 03:29:10 AM by deborah »

Lukim

• Stubble
Re: Superannuation transfer balance caps
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 03:50:07 AM »
I am definitely not across all the details on this (I pay someone to do that) but my understanding is that the amount you are allowed to have in your pension account goes up and down with the underlying investments.

So if someone started with $1.6m in 2017, it should have grown (then probably went down in 2021/22) and should be growing again now.

Someone starting now would be able to put $1.7m into the pension account (probably more after 1 July 2023).

Once it is in the pension account, you have to draw the minimum and if your balance is over the cap, you can't personally contribute more (but an employer will contribute).

That is my rough understanding - but I could be wrong.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 04:36:54 AM »
Thanks lukim, I’d misread things, and your B can go down, but only when you make a lump sum withdrawal (but not a pension payment).

When your employer contributes, the money is added to your accumulation account. It can’t be added to the pension/retirement account if you are over your transfer balance cap.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 04:39:27 AM by deborah »

SeanTash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 06:09:27 PM »
1. The old strategy of rolling the amount you don’t spend back into super each year seems to me to be a way to reach the cap, and to end up with a lower cap than you’d otherwise have.
I don't plan to do this for a few reasons-   the 4% I take out I will most likely spend.  And if I don't, I'd just put it in an interest bearing account, which I would pay zero tax on (as i'll be below the tax threshold) as opposed to 15% tax in super. Even if I earn 45,000 in interest, id still only pay a small amount of tax (less than 15%)

3. Maybe early retirees shouldn’t worry about all this. After all, by definition we’re frugal, and exit employment early, so people may never have that much in super. This is especially true if you are a couple and each person has half of the accumulated super in their own account. The caps make it more sensible to ensure that each person has about half the super.
Agreed. I have 7 years to go, and I'd be very pleasantly surprised if I get anywhere near the cap (I've been part retired, working part time for 4 years)

4. On the other hand, compound interest increases your money astoundingly, and it’s worth while thinking about this. Several Australians on the forum have expressed surprise at how much their superannuation has grown over the years. And it’s likely that, because we’re frugal, our super will grow after retirement.
Mines done ok, I would not say astoundingly.  But it doesn't really matter in regards to the cap if it grows. Here is from the ATO website

"Example: personal cap space
Richard starts a pension valued at $1.6 million on 1 July 2017. This uses up all his personal transfer balance cap. Richard will not be entitled to future indexation.
By 1 July 2019, the value of that pension account had grown to $2 million. As this growth is due to investment earnings, Richard has not exceeded his personal transfer balance cap.
On 30 June 2020, the value of that pension account had fallen to $1 million due to the impact of COVID-19 on the assets supporting the pension. Richard cannot 'top up' his pension account with money he holds in his accumulation account because he has already used all his personal cap space."

5. Since early retirees probably don’t have much income after they’ve retired and before they can access super, and it’s fairly easy to put money into super after they’ve reached preservation age, maybe it’s better to delay making additional superannuation contributions until you reach preservation age.
I plan to put most of my non super in just before I hit 60, and then give up my job so that I can access it. I might go back working again part time later if I feel the urge.

Personally, I don't really care what happens after I die in regards to tax, etc, so that is not a factor for me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!