Author Topic: Superannuation thread  (Read 100961 times)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
Re: Superannuation thread
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2018, 03:16:35 AM »
I dropped $1000 into my Super this week to get the $500 match from the government for earning SFA this year.

The cash was in there the next day, just need to wait til I've done my taxes to see the deposit from the government.

Don't expect the government to be super fast, I had to wait till December to get mine last time.

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2018, 03:45:20 AM »
Sent $1000 to my husband’s super account today so he can take advantage of the $500 match.
But I also had to prepay $1500 onto a water bill for an investment property to drop his investment income so his salary was >10% of his total earnings!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2018, 03:59:36 AM »
Sent $1000 to my husband’s super account today so he can take advantage of the $500 match.
But I also had to prepay $1500 onto a water bill for an investment property to drop his investment income so his salary was >10% of his total earnings!
with the budget changes this year, I think that’s been changed for next year.

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2018, 04:13:54 AM »
with the budget changes this year, I think that’s been changed for next year.

Hopefully, because it was painful!
Won’t be a problem next year for us though because his salary *should* be more than $247 (not a typo!!)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2018, 06:54:29 AM »

Could you have pre-paid interest?

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2018, 03:19:43 AM »

Could you have pre-paid interest?

Hmmmm, I don’t think so- We’ve one mortgage which isn’t fixed, but I suspect if I paid extra it would have just been offset against the principle? Maybe this something I need to research further.

I got 1 velocity point per dollar on the only credit card I have that awards points for utilities which I want to churn soon, so there was another silver lining!

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2018, 07:55:30 PM »
Pre paid is good for your IP not your PPOR

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2018, 02:12:44 AM »

I have one IP loan which is P&I. Checking my internet banking, we’ve paid ~$2k more than the minimum this year. Googling tells me the max I can pay in advance is only the follow year’s interest (~$4k), but all the examples I found are for interest only loans where the interest is more clear cut.

Any advice on this from the brains trust here?

Amusingly, my husband received his share of tips yesterday ($50) which increases his annual salary by 20%. We’re possibly the only people looking forward to declaring tips to the ATO!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2018, 04:30:55 AM »

I have one IP loan which is P&I. Checking my internet banking, we’ve paid ~$2k more than the minimum this year. Googling tells me the max I can pay in advance is only the follow year’s interest (~$4k), but all the examples I found are for interest only loans where the interest is more clear cut.

Amusingly, my husband received his share of tips yesterday ($50) which increases his annual salary by 20%. We’re possibly the only people looking forward to declaring tips to the ATO!

You can only do it on a fixed rate interest only loan, and you need to give the bank enough time to sort the paperwork out. Usually if you haven't talked to the bank by end of April, they won't get it done in time (depending on the incompetantness of your bank).

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2018, 03:55:53 AM »

You can only do it on a fixed rate interest only loan, and you need to give the bank enough time to sort the paperwork out. Usually if you haven't talked to the bank by end of April, they won't get it done in time (depending on the incompetantness of your bank).

Thanks marty998. Both our IP loans are P&I so no go there. And, I’m not keen to change the unfixed one, cause it’s little and on a decent rate (driven by a grandfathered discount, not fixed)

lush

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2018, 04:47:26 AM »
Is anyone here subject to the Div 293 tax (additional 15%).

It probably still makes sense to contribute extra, but it's not as clear cut if you want early access to money and are factoring in some uncertainty in what the government will do to super in future.

Have I got my numbers right here for Div 293:
Example:
Income $230k
Super non-concessional contribution =$20k
Rental Income $10k
Investments $30k
Total $290k
$290k – 250 = $40k
DIV 293 = $40k x 15% =$6k tax payable?

Even though tax would have already been paid on the income and super contributions?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:01:03 AM by lush »

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2018, 04:41:38 PM »
From the ato https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/super/in-detail/withdrawing-and-paying-tax/division-293-tax---information-for-individuals/?page=3#How_much_will_your_Division_293_tax_be

If the combined figure is greater than the threshold, you have taxable contributions. Taxable contributions will be the lesser of either
the low-tax contributions
the amount above the threshold
The tax applied will be 15% of the taxable contributions.

I think you're only on the hook for 15% of the 20k concessional contributions.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2018, 04:53:24 PM »
Payroll company managed to squeak some more of my concessional contributions into my super this financial year [yay!] so I'll only be claiming some of the post-tax contributions I put in this year.

Adram

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2018, 09:40:09 PM »
From the ato https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/super/in-detail/withdrawing-and-paying-tax/division-293-tax---information-for-individuals/?page=3#How_much_will_your_Division_293_tax_be

If the combined figure is greater than the threshold, you have taxable contributions. Taxable contributions will be the lesser of either

Correct.

Also, you don't include the concessional contributions in income for surcharge purposes, so your total div 293 income would be $270K. Therefore, if your concessional contributions had been 25K instead of 20K, you would only pay div 293 tax on the 20K excess above the threshold.

lush

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »

Correct.

Also, you don't include the concessional contributions in income for surcharge purposes, so your total div 293 income would be $270K. Therefore, if your concessional contributions had been 25K instead of 20K, you would only pay div 293 tax on the 20K excess above the threshold.

Thanks - just so I am clear, even if my gross earnings are $350k year, the only part I need to worry about for Div 293 is the amount of super contributions for any FY?

As I don’t intend (while I am still working full time) to put more than the $25k limit,  it sounds like I can do my maths around that as a worst case additional tax scenario – meaning $25k x 15% = $3750.

lush

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2018, 10:06:32 PM »
I was just thinking about the Div 293 scenario above and thought that if I make spouse super contributions I might be able to receive an offset for this based on this info:

“Spouse Contributions
Under the current 2017/2018 tax rules, you may be able to claim an 18% tax offset on super contributions up to $3,000 that you make on behalf of your non-working or low-income-earning partner. You can contribute more than $3,000, but you won’t receive the spouse contribution tax offset on anything above $3,000.”

The above I think works out to be about $500 tax offset.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2018, 11:38:02 PM »
I was just thinking about the Div 293 scenario above and thought that if I make spouse super contributions I might be able to receive an offset for this based on this info:

“Spouse Contributions
Under the current 2017/2018 tax rules, you may be able to claim an 18% tax offset on super contributions up to $3,000 that you make on behalf of your non-working or low-income-earning partner. You can contribute more than $3,000, but you won’t receive the spouse contribution tax offset on anything above $3,000.”

Yeah it's $540.  We contemplated it for adding to my Super, but didn't end up pulling the pin on it.  Probably should have based on the bonus my wife got this year, could have easily afforded it.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2018, 02:33:58 AM »

“Spouse Contributions

Lush - you really need to go talk to your accountant!

And you're too late now to do anything about minimising 2017/18 tax via fiddling with superannuation contributions.

So talk to him or her now to map out a strategy for 2018/19 :)

Sorry - Edit to add - I just realised I already told you to go do this last week haha.

I can't recommend you one (an accountant of financial adviser), because as a CA myself I do my own taxes. Unfortunately, I don't have a certificate of public practice, so I'm not allowed to provide tax advice to you (nor charge you for it!)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:38:40 AM by marty998 »

lush

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »
Marty yes I will be discussing this with my accountant -  just throwing some idea's around to get real life feedback.

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2018, 12:44:16 AM »
how do you all calculate what your annual % increase is on your super?

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2018, 01:27:27 AM »
how do you all calculate what your annual % increase is on your super?

Not sure what you mean @missbee

Are you talking about you got a payrise and you want to know how much more will be going into your Super each year?

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2018, 01:48:21 AM »
Ah no, what I meant was more along the lines of if my super balance was $XX,xxx as at 30/06/2017 and now it is $ZZ,zzz as at 30/06/2018, if I subtract the known net SG and salary sacrifice contributions for the year from the total amount my balance increased by I got a 7.7% return.
is that how you lot check the overall performance of your super?
If I just look at the total $$ increase it works out to be a rather nice 17.688% but just over half that was technically my own money.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2018, 01:56:40 AM »
It's less than that because your SG and salary sacrifice also earnt interest/dividends.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2018, 02:18:48 AM »
Ah no, what I meant was more along the lines of if my super balance was $XX,xxx as at 30/06/2017 and now it is $ZZ,zzz as at 30/06/2018, if I subtract the known net SG and salary sacrifice contributions for the year from the total amount my balance increased by I got a 7.7% return.
is that how you lot check the overall performance of your super?
If I just look at the total $$ increase it works out to be a rather nice 17.688% but just over half that was technically my own money.

You annual statement will show the investment returns %. Note this might be gross of admin fees and insurance costs so that will also affect the final % return.

It is very complicated, because as deborah said your contributions throughout the year also get invested (at different times, so each earning a different return for the year).

It's a long rabbit hole to come out of if you go want to explore it further.

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2018, 02:44:22 AM »
oh, of course I will see what the actual investment returns are on the statement. 
I guess using the word 'return' was unclear, I'm just pondering overall superannuation growth, year on year and a possible cut off point for salary sacrifice contributions (if there's no tax benefit in it for me) and letting compounding do it's thing to get to my desired superannuation balance at preservation age.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2018, 04:45:10 AM »
It really depends on how long you’re retired before you reach your preservation age (the age at which you can access your super), and how much you’re going to end up with in super.

Say your preservation age was 60. If you were to retire at 58, you only need 2 years of expenses available to you, so you could put almost everything into super, so salary sacrifice is reasonable. If you were retiring at 30, you’d really need as much as you can outside super. The 4% rule says you only need 25 times yearly  expenses no matter how many years you plan to retire for, so you would have to have that much available outside super.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2018, 03:03:45 AM »
I went along to the member briefing put on by Australian Super today. I must have been the youngest person in the room :)

It took less than 2 minutes for the barbs to be thrown at the retail super sector "good to see a thousand people in the room and 4000 online, this is much better engagement than the banks and none of you are dead either"

Stated mission is to see the end of retail super products - basically actively lobbying the government to tell APRA to progressively cancel the licences of poorly performing funds and forcing them to merge with better performing industry funds.

It's going so far as to advocate for the 4 million Australians who are in crap funds and trying to get them a better deal, even though they are not Australian Super members. You'd never ever see that from a Bank.

I came out of it thinking "thank christ I made the right decision 13 years ago. If I'd stuck with AMP I'd be $80,000 poorer".

TL/DR, your trust in the Mustache Man (Ian Silk) is not going to be misplaced.

potm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2018, 03:42:29 AM »
Get rid of all of them and create a massive fund with 1 basis point MER.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »
Get rid of all of them and create a massive fund with 1 basis point MER.

and about 1% of the staff and directors. Superannuation should not be an industry or a big employer, the funds should be for members.  I'll stick with self managing thanks.

AussieLad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2018, 10:08:50 PM »
I have been with Rest's CoreStrategy since my teenage years and have only just gotten around to looking at the different options in greater detail.

Trying to decide between:
- AustSuper High Growth (I'm mid-20's)
- AustSuper Indexed diversified (lower fees, only 70% "growth")
- Hostplus Indexed Diversiified (even lower fees, only 75% "growth)
- SunSuper DIY mix with Aus/Intl Shares (believe they use Vanguard ETF's?)

Anyone with a compelling reason for one over the other?

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2018, 03:36:56 AM »
Someone put a Super comparison table up on Reddit today. It might help you some:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AusFinance/comments/9uakio/super_comparison_table/

AussieLad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2018, 11:08:39 PM »
Someone put a Super comparison table up on Reddit today. It might help you some:

Hehe, that may or may not have been me...

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2018, 11:30:38 PM »

Hehe, that may or may not have been me...
It also may or may not have been me...

Okay, it wasn’t.  Thanks AussieLad!  Great addition...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2018, 11:54:05 PM »
Interesting report out today from the Grattan Institute* regarding Super.

They are correct that there's a lot of fear mongering from vested interests about people "not having enough" retirement savings. People don't necessarily need a high proportion of their working salary. If they want it, then they can save for it accordingly.

They are not correct in wanting to loosen the means testing for the age pension. IMO the system needs to be designed to make sure the majority of people don't need it. If you've got $800,000 in assets + a home, you should not be getting welfare.

I agree with their proposal that pension earnings should be taxed at a nominal 15%. There is no equitable justification at all for it being a zero rate.

Should be noted the Grattan Institute is quite left wing in political bent.

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2018, 01:29:52 AM »
Interesting report out today from the Grattan Institute* regarding Super.

They are correct that there's a lot of fear mongering from vested interests about people "not having enough" retirement savings. People don't necessarily need a high proportion of their working salary. If they want it, then they can save for it accordingly.

They are not correct in wanting to loosen the means testing for the age pension. IMO the system needs to be designed to make sure the majority of people don't need it. If you've got $800,000 in assets + a home, you should not be getting welfare.

I agree with their proposal that pension earnings should be taxed at a nominal 15%. There is no equitable justification at all for it being a zero rate.

Should be noted the Grattan Institute is quite left wing in political bent.
Some decent points but the one that caught my attention is the suggestion to increase preservation age to 70. Seems unreasonable to punish salary sacrificers like that when they have been strongly encouraged to save in super.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2018, 02:10:27 AM »
I missed that... 70 is far too late. 60 in my view is about right.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2018, 02:53:55 AM »
I agree, 70 is way too late for a preservation age. Lots of folks find it physically difficult to work past 55, and I think if I recall the average retirement age is 63?

I think the gubmint needs to be careful about tightening the srcrews too much on super such as introducing 15% on pension earnings. There still needs to be some incentive for people to buy into super beyond the 9.5%

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »
I agree, 70 is way too late for a preservation age. Lots of folks find it physically difficult to work past 55, and I think if I recall the average retirement age is 63?

I think the gubmint needs to be careful about tightening the srcrews too much on super such as introducing 15% on pension earnings. There still needs to be some incentive for people to buy into super beyond the 9.5%

Throwing it out there but further means testing the age pension would be the "stick" part of the incentive to build super. I reckon the discount to marginal tax rates on contributions and earnings is "carrot" enough.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2018, 07:58:29 AM »
I have always thought that no tax during pension phase is ridiculous, as it annoys younger generations.

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2018, 02:26:23 AM »
A whole lot of things annoy younger generations....

and funnily enough, they are annoyed by them less and less as they become older.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2018, 04:23:10 AM »
:)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »
Someone was talking about Life Insurance in Superannuation funds. I never had any, because I never had any dependents. But opting out was sometimes tricky.

However, it leads to another point. Generally speaking, we are told only to have one superannuation fund. At various stages I deliberately had up to three, and I could have had more. In my circumstances, I was salary sacrificing to super - which had to be a different fund than where my work contributions were going, and couldn't be my SMSF - so that made three. Until I retired. Every so often, I might move money from one fund to another.

If life insurance is available in your current, more expensive super fund, but not (because of pre-existing conditions) in the cheaper one you plan to move to, maybe it makes sense to retain a small sum in the more expensive fund, and treat it like a separate life insurance policy which you top up once a year to maintain its currency and stop the ATO getting their hands on it.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2019, 06:56:59 PM »
I have been with Rest's CoreStrategy since my teenage years and have only just gotten around to looking at the different options in greater detail.

Trying to decide between:
- AustSuper High Growth (I'm mid-20's)
- AustSuper Indexed diversified (lower fees, only 70% "growth")
- Hostplus Indexed Diversiified (even lower fees, only 75% "growth)
- SunSuper DIY mix with Aus/Intl Shares (believe they use Vanguard ETF's?)

Anyone with a compelling reason for one over the other?

So I was reading the Barefoot investor and saw that he advised going with the fund that had the least fees. For him that’s Hostplus Diversified. He argued that he would save more over the years by paying less fees than the ones that had higher growth. I’m with AusSuper and had them in the growth but switched to the Indexed one for 100%, based off of BI’s advice. Did I do the right thing? I’m the guy who wants everything simple and maximized, so I don’t have to worry about anything.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2019, 07:36:16 PM »
Last I checked the fees in Australian Super for the Indexed diversified option were higher than if you chose the individual indexes and allocation yourself.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2019, 10:56:21 PM »
Last I checked the fees in Australian Super for the Indexed diversified option were higher than if you chose the individual indexes and allocation yourself.

Do you mean if I DIY the indexes? Not sure I know how to do that? Any suggestions?  I thought the fees were pretty low, less than Host plus but maybe I read it wrong?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2019, 10:58:58 PM »
Hmm. Ignore me then. My knowledge is out of date. 0.12% is hard to beat.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2019, 01:17:11 AM »
Hmm. Ignore me then. My knowledge is out of date. 0.12% is hard to beat.

Ok, thanks. Guess I read it right then, so I’ll just leave as is.

Now I’m wondering: do I really need income protection?  I work in an office. I have bike insurance so if I’m hurt riding, that will cover me.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2019, 02:07:17 AM »
My next door neighbour is currently recovering from cancer. She has income protection, and it includes cancer, so she's sorting it out at the moment. However, Income Protection is one of the types of insurance with a bad name because claims are often knocked back and take a long time to finalise.

And they don't necessarily cover you in certain situations. For instance, many years ago, I was stopped at a traffic light in my car, and the double decker express bus from Melbourne to Sydney ignored me, and all the other cars that were stopped for an ambulance, and biffed me across the intersection. My car was a writeoff, and I had whiplash for the next three years, and had a hard time keeping my job with the amount of time off I needed. I had become a contractor THREE MONTHS earlier. You need(ed) six months of job history to claim (the Transport Accident Commission covered income loss - so it was a form of income protection), and I didn't have it. All up, I lost about $80,000. I had the money, but most people would have been in a lot of trouble.

Abundant life

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2019, 05:59:11 PM »
Hi, just found this thread!
I was reading this interesting article this morning about the Productivity Commission Inquiry Report:

https://www.clime.com.au/weekly-investing-report/super-for-some/?omhide=true&utm_source=clime&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ir-310119&utm_content=button

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2019, 05:45:19 PM »
@ozbeach thanks for the boot up the bum I needed, time to review my super and how much I am paying in indirect fees