Author Topic: Election 2022  (Read 588 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Election 2022
« on: November 05, 2021, 02:01:42 AM »
I can't say I've ever been the activist type. Engaged, yes. Knowledgeable, yes. Protesting by chaining myself to heritage buildings marked for demolition, no. But that's all changed.

I'm fed up. The alleged lies being told every single day. The alleged corruption on water, land sales, property deals. The alleged harbouring of alleged rapists in the Ministry. The monumental waste of pork barrelling. The two-fifths of nothing being done for the environment.

A couple of days ago I found myself in the middle of a strategy session with the person who is putting themselves forward as an Independent Candidate to oust our disgraceful member of parliament. Our MP whose sole contribution has been to peddle lies, misinformation and crap on facebook and twitter for the last few years. He's now been banned from most social media platforms because of the garbage he puts out.

For the past few months I've been helping a team analyse polling data for the electorate to figure out how to target the efforts and what we need to do to win. I donated $500 to kickstart the initial fundraising and our candidate goes public with a campaign launch on 14 November. It's really really exciting to be involved and I know we're going to make a huge splash at the election when it is called!

I know there's a lot of you out there who are similarly fed up, embarrassed and demoralised by the government we have. It doesn't have to be this way. If you've ever found yourself lamenting the sorry state of politics in this country, join your local Independent "Voices of" or "We are" group and be the change you want to see.

And if you are already involved, I'd like to hear from you about your experiences to date too!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Election 2022
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 08:41:04 PM »
Too soon to talk about this? :D

Our candidate is live, and our campaign shirts are already getting traction and visibility in the street. There's a real mood for change across all of Sydney - another independent Allegra Zampetti is putting herself forward in Wentworth.

The Liberals have already showed their hand trying to dismiss us all as noisy greenies in purple shirts. Truth is, most of us vote Liberal and are sick of that sort of arrogant spin and nonsense.

On we go!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 12:22:30 AM »
I describe myself as a-political, mainly because I can't stand all the lies, spin, misleading media coverage etc, etc. COVID made me more politically aware than before, due to the necessity of keeping up to date with what was going on.

As usual I'm not impressed by any of the major parties. I will look for a sound alternative if there is one, or else donkey vote. I live in a safe labour seat, so whatever I do doesn't really make much difference..

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 03:06:49 AM »
There'll be a lot of interesting things in this election cycle.

- Will there be some more urban traditionally blue-ribbon Liberal seats that go to independents due to Coalition policies on climate change? A couple of other  Sydney seats in addition to Warringah, or potentially Higgins, Goldstein or Kooyong in Victoria?
- Will the departure of Joel Fitzgibbon mean the Hunter falls out of ALP hands?
- What influence do the UAP or similar right-wing parties have, especially in the Senate?
- Does Albanese have the cut-through with voters to win?
- Is the ALP small-target approach this time around going to be more successful than the approach in 2019?
- Morrison's made some mis-steps lately, will that affect his standing among voters?
- Will voters in particular states take their anger towards their state governments out on the Feds at the ballot box?
- Conversely, will Mark McGowan's popularity in WA translate into votes at Federal level?

We'll know the answer to all of these soon after the election.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »
All good questions! I admit to a twitch more interest than usual in how this cycle unfolds.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 02:04:06 PM »
I am so sick of Scott Morrison. His entire government appalls me: from the well publicised just absenteeism, to the sexism, to the blocking of a Federal anti-corruption body again. I can't stand the guy, the nihilism he stands for, or his speaking to the lowest common denominator approach. He truly embodies the 'don't argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down and beat you with experience' mantra.

I honestly see how anyone, even people who are conservative, could look at his tenure in government and have anything, even a single thing, to feel moderately proud of.

For me, key questions are:
- Can the LNP keep trying to thread the needle between city Liberals and rural Nationals?
- Can the LNP slide over to Australia's far right without alienating their middle-ground?
- What effect has COVID, which is a federal failure picked up by States, had on enduring popularity of parties?
- Does Australia yet give enough of a shit to make this a THIRD climate election?
- Will rising inqueality, brought on by LNP policies, galvanise more people?
- Have the Federal LNP mis-handling of two national disasters damaged their credibility at all?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 02:08:11 PM by LonerMatt »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 10:20:20 PM »
Only just seen this thread - I follow the Hughes campaign on FB. I have high hopes!

I'm in Warringah and joined the Zali team but only right near the end so don't have much advice.

One thing we did was to be visible. A lot of tshirt wearing and also regular walks in groups through the local area wearing the tees. And being brave with the front garden signage. It was all about showing that the average liberal voting resident was voting Zali and not just a bunch of greenies, so that other people felt that it was an option for them too. I have small business and I just wore the shirt to work "oh who are you voting for, Freshie :P"

On election day I was at a polling centre doing the how-to-votes etc and one old-white-straight Liberal guy said that he totally gets that climate change is a thing but it will be dealt with (hmmmm) but overall his point was one of respect ie you should vote for Abbott because he was a PM once. Um, no.  I raise this because at least you don't have the respect thing with Kelly. Anyone that actually respects him might have already have switched to UAP before he did.

My biggest worry with the election is UAP / One Nation. When disaffected people give up on the major parties it seems like a good chance they will pick another 'brand' that they've heard of and that promises them what they want, rather than actually reading up on independents.

On the other hand, the money that's going to independents and how early they are getting organised this time makes me feel better because those names will be out there and in the papers.

Zali is on the front foot and preparing for the campaign of lies about her. There's only one reason she ain't got the Climate Bill and Federal ICAC through and it's the coalition. No point voting for a moderate small liberal like Dave Sharma who says all the right things during the campaign if they won't cross the floor. 

The Liberals still haven't decided on the Warringah candidate. AFAIK it's between some guy that works for PwC or a small L youngish woman who is a lawyer, volunteers for refugees & is a lifesaver and is on the board of a homeless charity. It's pretty fucking obvious to me who they should pick going against Zali. Obviously I hope they completely stuff it up and parachute in some right-wing Hillsong dude. Some apparently are hoping for Gladys, assuming she clears her name.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:23:46 PM by Fresh Bread »

kei te pai

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 10:51:39 PM »
Watching and listening from across the ditch. Dont always understand Australian politics but it has a certain fascination, a gobsmacking quality which is hard to believe at times!